We almost have the trinity of horror game licenses (Outlast)

We have Silent Hill in the game, and Resident Evil coming soon. Two huge franchises that have made a tremendous impact on the horror genre as we know it. Now in my opinion, Outlast will complete DBD's trinity of most popular horror games. One of the scariest games I've ever played and I believe that Miles and Chris Walker(the most iconic villian) deserve a spot in the Entity's realm. Away from those monsters back at the Murkoff Corp.

What are your thoughts on a potential Outlast Chapter and who would you want to be included?

Comments

• ZoomZoomKaWaow
    ZoomZoomKaWaow Member Posts: 18

Neither Outlast nor Amnesia were anywhere near good enough to be put on a pedestal next to Silent Hill and RE. Both were good games, but they didn't become the foundation for horror games. Fatal Frame is the last of the holy horror trinity, and there's no way in hell that DBD should get to piggyback off yet another IP since they suck at original concepts

• HarleyQuin_n2K16
    HarleyQuin_n2K16 Member Posts: 98

Unless behavior changes the core gameplay I doubt this will make it in. The game is much more unforgiving than DBD. DBD holds your hand and gives you an abundance of resources to use where in outlast you can only run and hide, not run, hide, stun, blind, loop, 360, ds you get the idea. Good suggestion though but hard to see it.

• ManyAchievables
    ManyAchievables Member Posts: 667

One of the first examples of Survival Horror, before even Resident Evil and Silent Hill, is Clock Tower. If we wanna go with vintage horror games, I'd want that.

But if we're going with super influential, Amnesia or Outlast would be a good idea too.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,291

If we're talking iconic horror games we still have the granddaddy of survival horror which is Alone In The Dark. We also have stuff from franchises like Parasite Eve, Clocktower, FEAR, Dead Space, Amnesia, Bioshock, Alan Wake and Fatal Frame.

Those are a handful that are either horror or horror themed.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,068

While I agree that neither Outlast nor Amnesia are really compareable to Resident Evil or Silent Hill, Amnesia was the pioneer for a bunch of Survival Horror Games (including Outlast) where the Main Character is helpless against monsters and enemies. At least this is the earliest popular game I can think of with this concept. (Technically, Penumbra Black Plague, also from Frictional Games (and a really good game) was before Amnesia, but it was not really popular)

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
  • ZoomZoomKaWaow
    ZoomZoomKaWaow Member Posts: 18

Amnesia was a solid foundation for a game type sure, but neither it nor Outlast are a part of the original Holy Trinity that made Survival Horror so popular

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

just looking at Silent Hill, Left4Dead and Resident Evil should tell you that the game mechanics of the original game doesn’t really matter that much..

so running and hiding is still a very good basis for a Licensed chapter in DbD

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,181
    edited May 2021

Whether it's the Holy Trinity or not, Outlast would still be a great addition. There's still a deep cave full of horror to explore and that's not including BHVR originals.

Yet in terms of a Trinity, I would say going back it was RE, Silent Hill and Fatal Frame. It's probably different now, but those were the big three during the rise of survival horror in the era of PSone/ PS2.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I'd even call Five Nights At Freddy's more influential than Outlast, and i don't like FNAF.

• Vyne456
    Vyne456 Member Posts: 848

Outlast would be very creepy especially when you get caught by the person and then you get trapped naked and then he cuts your [BAD WORD] off and then he saws you, I think this would be very nice but the gore though and the things that creep me the [BAD WORD] out.

• CluelessWanderer
    CluelessWanderer Member Posts: 939

I'm tickled that so many people here liked Fatal Frame. That was my first taste into survival horror as a kid, and it scared the shite out of me lol. Not to be that guy, but I felt Spirit in DBD was a bit uninspired in comparison, and i was a bit disappointed that they kind of 'used up' the Japanese ghost concept on something so...idk, not creepy. They just made her cute and naked.

There was so much they could have done.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405
    edited May 2021

I definetly wouldn't put Outlast on there. I'd more likely put amnesia but I still wouldnt for old influential games since it came a bit after the others. Id sooner put Fatal frame or clock tower since they were around the same time and similar levels of influence. Maybe house of the dead (arcade game).

Amnesia, Outlast, and FNAF would fit better as the next generation honestly since they all came around at a more similar time and similar levels of influence

Not sure what would be in the generation after. Maybe Alien Isolation, evil within, and layers of fear

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

To an extent yeah, it is, mostly because it in a way reinvented horror by showing that you don't need high tech stuff, or even good programming, to make a scary horror game. Fnaf brought in a type of horror called indie horror in which brought in a new wave of creators. However Outlast definitely helped reinvente horror by taking what Amnesia did, but change it for a realistic, psychological, and torturous aspect to the genre. Outlast definitely isn't as popular as Fnaf but I think both those titles stand among many of the legendary titles of the horror video gaming genre

• fr0sty1223
    fr0sty1223 Member Posts: 307

If they do an outlast chapter they should put in an outfit for the doctor that makes him look like doctor trager. Also I think the evil within would be a great addition to the game as well. Maybe putting in ruvik, Stefano, or the keeper as a killer.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

yeah...no.

outlast is nowhere near resident evil and silent hill.

nothing against outlast... but no.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

I've never heard of it tbh. But then again, most people have never heard of Parasite Eve. So to each their own.

• Deviri
    Deviri Member Posts: 29

I wouldn't call Outlast a cornerstone for the horror genre, no, though I do think the characters from the game would better fit the DbD world.

I'd also like to see characters from F.E.A.R. or Nightmare Creatures.

• scenekiller
    scenekiller Member Posts: 890

I'd love an Outlast chapter but I can't see it being as hyped as something like RE, SH, etc.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

I would die I'm playing it without any knowledge of the game and I'm terrified

• TruEternity
    TruEternity Member Posts: 320

Outlast is a trash walking simulator that isn’t even near the same breath as RE or Silent Hill.

• JimboMason
    JimboMason Member Posts: 759

Amnesia is a good one, but I'd also argue that Evil Within would also be a influential addition

• Jarol
    Jarol Member Posts: 1,985

I'm not really sure but if we have Silent Hill and Resident Evil, why not Evil Within? The killer could be The Guardian, it would be something characteristic.

• Man_of_triangles
    Man_of_triangles Member Posts: 302
    edited May 2021

There are literally dozens of horror game licenses I would list before Outlast. Even Amnesia, which Outlast clearly built itself upon. Decent game though.

I'd argue Amnesia deserves some credit for knocking the industry out of the "action horror" stupor it had fallen into since RE4. RE7 probably wouldn't even be in first person and lower on the action scale without Amnesia. The reason Amnesia stood out so much, beyond how much Frictional was able to do with so small a budget, was that it released in a time in which "horror game" meant "the enemies look spooky, but you still shoot them all dead as they pop out, pick up the coins they drop, and buy a rocket launcher with them".