4K Mentality and Escaping

Options
stikyard
stikyard Member Posts: 526

I'm a Survivor main, I play Killer super casual and only really to complete Rift challenges.

I could never really invest the same amount of time into Killer to Pip up and play at Red ranks, it's just not that fun to me and, I don't really care about "winning".

I also don't really care about escaping as Survivor. I like to make good plays, saves, breakouts, sabotage, ect. I won't leave a teammate behind at collapse, I'd rather die on the hook.

So what is driving the "winning" mentality? Even if you can slug down a 4K with very little Chase and only four hooks, you deny yourself the BP's and Pips and you deny the Survivors BP's and Pips.

I'd rather stay in the game, play the game as opposed to slugging and ending the game or, running out the gate when I could go try to save my friend.

Escaping and 4K's aren't "winning" to me, the Meta mentality on both sides drives the game to a toxic place where, people don't even come to play, they just want to dunk on someone and then tell you GG.

Comments

• deckyr
    deckyr Member Posts: 752
    Options

some people legitimately have killer main disease and force survivors to depip for their source of fun so they make it their objective.

it's really weird. like at that point you gotta just take a break i think but they don't! they sure do just keep going.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,718
    Options

Beats me. My latest string of fun games has come from getting 5 stacks of Devour Hope and then not killing anyone, just shaking my head and whacking survivors that try to cleanse the totem. If everyone escapes, but everyone had a good time and they're nodding and giving me gifts at the exit gates, then that's a win for me.

I only get angry about losing when I feel like the other team was rubbing it in - the usual things you do to mock the killer in a chase, or getting facecamped at five gens/slugged for four minutes. At that point I want to win to assert dominance and to stick it to the other party. I'm guessing some people feel like that all the time, judging from the salt I encounter over perfectly ordinary gameplay.

• Pat00tSack
    Pat00tSack Member Posts: 71
    Options

There's a very big divide between people who want to play for points and people who want to play for efficiency. I'm sure if I had all killers and survivors p3, all perks, lots of bloodpoints stocked up for future releases, etc, I'd probably play killer more efficiently and try more meme plays as survivor, but alas, I have like 500 hours in the game so I don't have everything.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Its more so theres a lot of players that have a lot of hours so they are more invented in being good at the game and care about it being fair over fun. It may sound odd but if you invested a insain amount of hours you would probley get to the point that you would want to win more because honestly its frustrating to lose game to people that are worse than you at said game.

This is just my theory because normally a lot of people tend to move on from games once they have been out for a few years saying things like "It got sweaty" or "its full of tryhards" ect. Its why i dont play siege anymore people started getting more invested and started taking it competivily and tbh it kinda left me behind because im not as competitive as most the players that play it so i dont like playing slow and droneing ect same applies to DBD although i have more hours in DBD so i care more about it hence my theory.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    edited May 2021
    Options

I think it is great you are sharing what winning/losing mean to you. I respect your personal choices, please give us the same courtesy. This is a PvP game, which by default is going to have winners and losers. DbD doesn't specify win conditions, and provides you lots of little ways to claim a win even when you get waffle-stomped. Live it, love it, lie about it. Some people measure their victory based on how many kills or escapes occur for their side in the match. We have to respect that too, let them seek their bliss. If you don't want to get slugged, get better at looping. If you want more casual games, make some friends and create a custom game where you can set whatever rules and limitations you all agree upon. I've instantly solved your problem.

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927
    Options

Some killers will take the game seriously and aim for the 4K every match and some will just mess around and have fun regardless and not really care.

Some survivors will play in full on sweat mode and want to escape every single match and take the game to seriously and some people will just have fun and try and get as many points as they can and have a laugh whether they escape or not.

It's just the nature of online games tbh.

• DecisiveDwight
    DecisiveDwight Member Posts: 593
    Options

While it's true their are other measures of victory killers need more objectives at the moment kills is the only real win for killer while survivors could go in and set their own objectives like stun killer or learn to loop a certain area what can killers actually do other than attempt kills

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,832
    Options

Getting a BBQ 4-stack. There are a lot of killers who base their idea of victory on that. As long as they get that 4-stack, it's a win.

However, if you mean neither killing nor even just hooking, then no, killers don't have anything else to do but harass survivors.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

I play both sides mostly for BP and getting better at the game, don't like to sweat much.

However game placed me in red ranks so its not so uncommon to play vs sweaty tunneling tryhards or braindead boosted gen rushers who don't care about fun or BP, just want to end matches as fast as possible.

Which is fine to be competitive however it makes the other side change their playstyle to match theirs, if they want to have some fun from it too.

That's why most games don't feel really rewarding even if you win, more like exhausting.

But that is just me, maybe it will get better with more playtime

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    Options

I agree kinda with you. I hate as Killer main if survivors just rush the gens and escape as fast as possible, trying to avoide chases or keeping them short. The main fun part of dbd is the chase imo, and trying to reduce it as far as possible is just dumb. But also just sacrificing yourself for others is also not the best thing imo. That is just foolish and gives the Killer a easy opening to apply more pressure for your entire team.

Imo it is important to find a good balance between "winning" by escaping or killing and chases or altruism to save others. Too much of either of them is also unfun for either you, your opponent or for your teammates if you know what I mean.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options

I just enjoy good chases and learning how to play clown better. If I lose then it was my misplays. No point blaming it on people having friends or people doing gens too fast

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521
    Options

Same here playing both sides I never care if I escape or if I get 4K I play the game to have fun and lose my time when I'm bored or something

• MidnightOnyx
    MidnightOnyx Member Posts: 24
    Options

I base my win condition off of the fact that I feel that a 4k is the maximum performance for a killer game. It is the best that I can do, so I reach for it. You don't have to be competitive, but other people can be competitive if they want.

• MidnightOnyx
    MidnightOnyx Member Posts: 24
    Options

Agree with this totally, everyone can set their own win condition, and people will vary on how competitive they are.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    Options

I blame this on some of the streamers that play this game for a living. When playing killer they often refer to a hatch escape, even with a key, as a loss. Their sycophants will pick up on this.

If you play it as your job then I guess that isn't unreasonable. But for many of the rest of us, a 4K or an escape might be the exception and who wants to play a game where they lose most of the time?

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

It sure would be nice if the game would actually set a baseline of what constitutes "winning" and "losing."