The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is Flashlight Save Toxic?

Northener1907
Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012
edited May 2021 in General Discussions

Today i played some solo survivor matches. And i love use flashlight. I saved 3 times my teammates with flashlight. For that i get facecamp. I have not problem with that because killer wanted out me possibly.

Anyway my 3 teammates escaped and i wrote gg wp killer. He called me toxic kid. And i made him day bad. I said "i am sorry but i was just playing game. I hope you will get better games." I do not know how using flashlight is toxic. Can anyone explain?

Post edited by Northener1907 on

Comments

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,032

No. My thoughts on this lately is losing in this game results in a lot of things being labeled as toxic by the losing party.

There were probably a slew of mistakes made that led to the killers loss and the flashlight save being a more obvious one.

I think often times being ‘just a person’ in the end game chat is the best response, like OP above wrote an example of.

• Zro
    Zro Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2021

There is nothing toxic in the game, except for the end chat. I, as a killer main, have absolutely nothing against flashlight saves. It's a legitimate strategy. But that also includes tunneling or camping.

Some people should just be a little more chill and not scream "toxic" at everything. 

"And i made him day bad"

Oh dear, the poor guy :)

Edit: Just try to ignore the stupid comments after a match. In the end, it only deprives you of the fun of the game.

• MrPsych
    MrPsych Member Posts: 265

Flashlight saves are not only part of the game, but are an integral part of survivor gameplay. Are the survivors just supposed to stay frozen in place and watch the killer hook the survivor?

No, you make that mofo's hook as hard as possible to get. You played well and you even made the killer salty as a result. Congrats :)

• DecisiveDwight
    DecisiveDwight Member Posts: 593

Some people can't get past that not everything is toxic they clearly don't know the difference between toxic and general gameplay

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012

Thank you guys. I did not mean annoy him. I just wanted keep him in loops and buy time for my team. But he gave me good chance to save my teammates. I just saved them.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

That last line is a weird thing to say. This whole game is about doing stuff to hurt the other side, which in turn ruins their fun. I don't think flashlights are only using them to hurt the killer.

I love flashlights. I use them a lot, especially with my friends who aren't as good in chases because it helps keep them alive. I'm not using them to just purely annoy the killer.

Flashlight clickers are a different story. Same with just general toxic survivors who might t-bag or do other stuff.

It's good you agree it's a valid game mechanic. I just couldn't not say something about that last sentence sorry.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,127

It's not toxic. People overuse/misuse the word "toxic" for anything that they don't like. Being blinded is not fun for the killer, though, and if it costs them a hook, especially if it was after a long chase, then that can destroy their pressure and they're not going to thank you for it.

It sounds like this killer screwed up bad, though. After the first blind, they should've been on the lookout for future flashlight saves. If they didn't bother to try to counter it, that's on them. Personally, I run Lightborn 100% of the time, because other than slugging everyone before hooking I haven't been able to reliably counter flashlights ever since dedicated servers became a thing; I've been blinded by flashlights outside of my FOV and even when facing a wall.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,041

Doing flashlight saves isn't toxic. It's very frustrating to have happen after a long chase, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a special dislike for the player that repeatedly tries to flashlight save, but you're there to help your team, not the other team. Flashlight clicking is BMing, but flashlight saving is just using the item for its intended purpose (much like keying out of the game versus fast vaulting and making sure the killer comes over to the hatch so you can tbag him before you key out.)

About the only situation I would consider flashlight saving to be nasty is if you're playing against a baby killer who very clearly has no idea what they're doing, they get their first down at like 4 gens done, and then you dive in and flashlight save - because at that point, it's just completely unnecessary to try and roll back the little pressure they have. Not exactly toxic unless it's in conjunction with other baiting behaviors, but pretty unkind to do.

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

No. Plain and simple.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,860

Flashlight saves are literally a mechanic of the game, no it’s not toxic.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

No I just don't like being flashlight blinded from the side.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

You are wayyyy too apologetic to people who don't give a single crap about what you are like in-game in return. You should loosen up a bit, if your opponent is mad at you for playing a certain way, that's their problem not yours, there's no need to apologise for it, because they sure as hell won't apologise back for how they're playing.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,140

If he keep getting blinded then he need to check his surroundings.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

The entire purpose of the flashlight is to blind the killer for a save isn't it?

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,014

Flashlight saves are a mechanic in the game, so no, it's not toxic. You're just trying to help your teammates.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092
    edited May 2021

Yes because there's no real purpose for it other than that. Imagine if there was actually a map that was dark enough you had to use a flashlight.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Its not toxic its just annoying when someone stalks you for the entire game to try to get them.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    edited May 2021

No, it's not Toxic. It will probably upset the killer, though. Much like camping isn't Toxic, but it'll probably upset the survivor.

I'll take the person following me around all game every time. Cause they aren't working on gens.

• Eros_LucianoTTV
    Eros_LucianoTTV Member Posts: 42

Not toxic for sure. Frustrating as a killer to get flashlight saved but yeah, not toxic for sure.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

People like to throw word Toxic around a lot. There is nothing toxic about flashlight, tunneling, tbagging and camping. The real toxicity is in the post game chat

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,552

Toxic? not when it comes to saves. Yet if after the second blind you can tell that the killer may not be wary of what's happening or the game mechanics and you continue to blind them? that's a little bully-esque of you.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

People who join with random strangers on the net that they met in game for the sole purpose of using discord to its full potential and winning every game is toxic.

People who know each other irl and use discord is less toxic

Flashlights are not toxic, annoying yes but not toxic when used for the intended use.

Strobing the killers face with a flashlight is toxic and can cause a seizure so should really really be fixed.. but it is bhvr and won't be unless some big wig is about to make bad press on the issue (colour blind options)

• RbLen
    RbLen Member Posts: 144

Its anoying for sure, but as long as you don't spam click flashlight after save and tbag its not toxic.

• PyroDude
    PyroDude Member Posts: 454

Yes, using game mechanics in their intended way is very toxic. /s

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    edited May 2021

It's the main reason flashlights are included in the game. There is rift pass challenges associated with it.

However, the killer is often not going to forgive or forget the rescuer. Which is natural vengeance.

What spikes me is this annoying mosquitoes who purposefully follow killers around the map, and as soon as you go to pick up a teammate...*click*...there they are...again.

Had one of these little turds yesterday. A masked Nea skin. Was gleefully taking the piss with the flashlight. One time she got me after she DS'ed me, and stunned me multiple times in the process. She was really enjoying herself. Unfortunately for her and his team of merry men, I destroyed them using Starstruck while they attempted to open the exit gate. Yes: I stood at Nea's hook and nodded as she went on a trip to Entityville.

• PlayBothSideBruh
    PlayBothSideBruh Member Posts: 21

I am months late but here I am.

It's not unless your ticking it.

I just ticking at unstop after dropping a survivor by their flashlight

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210

Using a flashlight as intended isn't toxic.

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

No, flashlight saves are not toxic. However, it’s way too easy to get ridiculous angles for saves so that needs to get looked at.

• Fobbo
    Fobbo Member Posts: 452

In-game actions are not toxic but people use the word toxic so many times in DBD for no reason

• Viamont
    Viamont Member Posts: 304

Toxic? not really, anoying? very much so.

But in all honesty killers are left locked in many animations with long cooldowns wich just adds to the frustration of spending a lot of time waiting for the killers to stop picking their nouse while the survivors are running around you like headless chickens, so as a killer i can say i hate when it happens but just because it anoys me to stare at that screen, but no, its not toxic.

• Fuzzels
    Fuzzels Member Posts: 449

Definitely not toxic, it's a mechanic of the game. But at the same time, so is tunneling and camping. If the killer decides it's in their best interest to remove you from the game in the most for sure way possible because they don't want to deal with the threat of being flashed, that's fair game.

• Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259

Is isn't toxic, just like camping or using NOED isn't toxic for killer. You are simply using what is at your disposal. If you got him 3 different times, he is to blame for at least 2 of them. Sure the first time I understand because he wasn't expecting it, but after a killer deals with a flashlight save once, a smart killer will check the area before picking the survivor up next time.

• SilentShepherd
    SilentShepherd Member Posts: 527

You can abuse the flashlight by blinding from the side of the killer. So even if the killer tries to look away, it doesn't matter. You can just move to the side a little, the Killer can't see you and thinks you are still behind him, and now you blind him from the side angle.

It's toxic. Yes it is toxic. Flashlights should be removed from the game.

• hiken
    hiken Member Posts: 1,188

starting a match is toxic.