Which Freddy was more fun?

Options
Northener1907
Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012

So many people saying Old Freddy was fun (include me as 4 years Freddy main) and some people saying new version better. So lets vote it and discuss about this. Which part is fun and which part is boring for New and Old version Freddy?

https://www.strawpoll.me/45287495

Comments

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

New Freddy

Actually hitting survivors is nice, old Freddy had nothing going for him other than he was unique

• Northener1907
    Northener1907 Member Posts: 3,012
    Options

Yes but if they would buff Old Freddy, we would have great killer right now. Old Freddy had some annoying problems but they all would fix if devs would not choice easy way.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,395
    edited May 2021
    Options

New freddy with nerfed addons and slower movement speed just feels like any other m1 killer and then he can place clown bottles basically on the floor. Puts a pool on one side and one on the other side. Congrats you get hit. In the words of scott because i kinda feel the same: "freddy:super F. You put ######### on the floor"

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

OG as killer and survivor. Way more unique than what we have now.

• Shroompy
    Options

Id rather have that than having a slower movememt speed for simply holding out your power like Old Freddy just to wait 7 seconds and only then being able to get a hit. He was and still is an M1 killer just now he has an ability that helps him in chase and map pressure. Yes, his power may be more generic but its far more effective. Old Freddy's "power" was a literal hinderance

• Shroompy
    Options

Old Freddy needed an entire overhaul and he got it, what I think they should of brought instead to make him more interesting is a tier up power, where the further along the game has gone the more powerful he becomes. Like maybe at the beginning of the game he'd extremely weak, exactly like Old Freddy, but the more and more fearful survivors get the more he grows in power, like eventually being able to interact with awake survivors, has more abilities than he does currently, etc. Just make him more interesting

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,222
    Options

His power was not a hinderance, it was his biggest advantage. Having to wait 7 seconds to hit a survivor was not a problem, especially back then when mindgames were much more viable since "holding W" wasn't meta. As for the other half of the chase, well, you shouldn't go for it until you were ready.

• GeneralV
    Options

Allow me to present to you an idea I've been working on:

Pull survivors into the Dream World

-Survivors who are awake do not see The Nightmare.

-Once targeted by The Nightmare’s power, survivors enter the Dream Transition for 7 seconds.

-During the Dream Transition Survivors can see glimpses of The Nightmare and they suffer from the Incapacitated status effect.

-When the Dream Transition Lapse, the Survivor is pulled into the Dream World.

Once in the Dream World:

-Survivor’s auras are revealed to The Nightmare when they are outside of his terror radius.

-Survivors suffer an action speed penalty of 40%.

-To exit the Dream World, Survivors can find non-sleeping Survivors to perform a wake up action.

-Failed Generator Skill Checks can also wake up.

-Hooked Survivors wake up.

Special Ability: Dream Projection

-Teleport to a Generator in view. Releasing the button early will cancel the action.

-Survivors cannot interact with the targeted Generator.

-For each Survivor in the Dream World, the cool-down of using Dream Projection is reduced by stack-able 20%.

You have nothing to worry about. This won’t hurt one… little… bit.” -Freddy Krueger

What do you think?

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 965
    Options

old freddy for sure

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,984
    edited May 2021
    Options

Old Freddy was a well-designed killer, but they turned him into a boring mixture of Clown and Demogorgon. (I am aware his rework came out before Demo came out) They really did him dirty tbh

• Shroompy
    Options

If his "biggest advantage" was to allow survivors to:

-Complete gens right in front of him

-Do totems in front of him

-Being the only killer not being able to camp hooks even if he was forced to

-Turning generators that were in dead zones into now safe places because of how much distance a survivor could make before Freddy is finally able to hit them. (They could literally run 28m in any direction they wanted for free)

Then I think there was a problem

"Holding W" was always meta just like looping its just that more people are vocal about it because I guess some streamer said something and it blew up, its called "ressource management".

Also any mindgame Freddy was able to do, any other killer could of done as well. The "Mindgame" with Freddy was if a survivor stayed at a pallet while in dream transition he could move back and forth and use the popping in and out of reality to his advantage. Problem is this only worked on bad survivors since no good survivor in their right mind would camp a pallet.

Old Freddy was and will for ever he the weakest itteration of any killer in the history of DbD. And thats saying a lot considering PTB Ghost Face was a thing

• GeneralV
    Options

The first three things you've mentioned are correct. That is precisely why the Incapacitated status effect would be perfect for him. As for the fourth, that wasn't always true. Freddy on release got slowed down for 1 second instead of 3, and even after his unnecessary nerf sometimes it was very easy to hit a survivor before they could reach a pallet or a window. Imagine that nowadays, with dead zones all over the place.

As for "holding W" I believe it is way more common today than when I first started playing DBD (2018), but this is based on my personal experience, so it might be wrong.

As for the mindgame, I've seen plenty of good survivors camping pallets during the Dream Transition, especially when Pill Bottle was present.

And no, I don't think he was the worst killer ever. PTB Ghostface was MUCH worse, and I speak from experience. Same thing with Trickster on release.

• Shroompy
    Options

Holding W is more common because the word is out there, when it comes to high level play it was always present.

As for PTB Ghost Face, at least he had the chance of sneaking up on survivors, thinking about it they may be on the same level.

Trickster on release Ill admit, I was defending him at first but after he received his buffs it made me realize that he was worst than I thought, weakest killer? I still dont think so but he was close. Trickster now tho is definitely better than Old Freddy, his add ons and chase game are pretty good, problem is he's pretty map dependant

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,971
    Options

LMAO at this old Freddy nostalgia.

Old Freddy was the worst killer in the game for BOTH sides. If you played him a lot, sure, you could get to a point where the game was fun for you as the killer, he was still as terrible as ever for the Survivors.

Old Freddy sucked, he's gone, and the game will forever be better because of it.

• GeneralV
    Options

On the same level? I don't think so. Old Freddy had full stealth for non-sleeping survivors, mindgame potential, an insane slowdown and could make gens take forever if he wanted to.

PTB Ghostface had the worst power in the game, emitted a global sound warning every single time he activated it and completely lost it if survivors spinned their cameras. I think he was way worse.

As for current Trickster, I have no idea. Never gave him a shot.

• OopsAllHexes
    OopsAllHexes Member Posts: 624
    Options

No, we wouldn't, we would have 20 minute games, which are unfun for Survivor.

Old Freddy's design was inherently bad.

• OopsAllHexes
    OopsAllHexes Member Posts: 624
    Options

GeneralV is someone who will defend Old Freddy to the end, ignoring any and all evidence on how it's better for the game that old Freddy is gone. Just keep this in mind.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Old Freddy. /Thread

• Murph
    Murph Member Posts: 43
    Options

I think everyone forgets about the 50 percent slower gen speed while sleeping on old Freddy. People lost their ######### over NEW Freddy's pathetic slowdown compared to that..

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,616
    edited May 2021
    Options

New Freddy, by a mile.

Old Freddy was bad AND miserable to play against.

Post edited by Pulsar on
  • GeneralV
    Options

I never ignored your points, I tried to have a simple discussion. And you decided to drop it, a decision which I respected, giving my final reply without pressing the matter any further.

Besides I never called you out for disagreeing with me. Please don't do it yourself.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,681
    edited May 2021
    Options

Old freddy was literally an m1 killer whos power put him at a disadvantage so he was boring but his power was more thematic

new freddy is boring because he's mindless and takes no skill

(voted hate both)

• GeneralV
    Options

It is because Old Freddy's slowdown was earned and could be avoided by waking up, something that was extremely easy to do. New Freddy's slowdown was weaker, but difficult to avoid and all the killer had to do was equip the right add-ons.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676
    Options

Old Freddy was M1 killer with gimicks + massive slowdown on gens (if he got lucky) which was boring for both sides.

New Freddy is M1 killer with lesser slowdown gimicks, superior chase and a teleport.

In the end both are still boring M1 killers but one is at least strong. The old Feddy was so annoying to face, basic M1 looping, no option for stealth or jukes, massive luck based slowdown.

I'm much happier with new Freddy, I don't see what people liked so much about the old one. He was so boring to play and even more so to play against.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,198
    Options

For people saying Old Freddy would be more fun in this game I just want to point out with For the people, desperate measures or WGLF you would never catch anyone unless they were flat out terrible , also if they had soul guard it's an issue because people could just pick each other up and still have enough time to get to safety or take a hit before you could do anything about it, he would immediately be the least picked killer due to the torture the user would have to go through and having to put people to sleep just to attack them

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531
    Options

I hope you realize that that's YOUR opinion. It's fine if you don't like Old Freddy, but you have to accept the fact that you're in the minority. 55% of people like Old Freddy and only 17% of people like Modern Freddy; according to OP's poll.

You also claim that Old Freddy was unfair to survivors. How, exactly, was he unfair? He was like a low mid tier.

• GeneralV
    Options

Precisely. Old Freddy with mobility is a very sweet idea!

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,984
    Options

You're not being very civil about it bud. You're allowed to have your own opinion, let others have their own.

• GeneralV
    Options

I still think he did it in the Remake. At the very end of the movie, he had to have pulled Nancy and her mother to the Dream World, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to attack them. Because they were clearly awake previously, returning home after Nancy "killed" Freddy.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270
    Options

Old Freddy was the most fun to play apart from gens and totems being done in your face, I do not miss that.

No version of him has ever been especially fun to play against imo

• GeneralV
    Options

That actually depends on what version of Old Freddy we are talking about. On release, you had to wake up someone up before healing them from the dying state. If that version was to return, those perks would make little to no difference.

Or maybe just make it so that survivors who recover from the dying state are not automatically woken up.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Played old Freddy for 2 years. I loved him, hate new Freddy and don't play him, but if you want a strong killer he wasn't it.

He also wasn't very fun to play against thanks to the 50% action speed slowdown and aura reading. I think both Freddies have been completely boring to play against, but old Freddy less so as he didn't have an answer to everything.

Old freddy was designed to slowly build hooks/pressure for a strong end game and a LOT of killers don't know how to do that.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

It was because thats really all old Freddy had, and passive sleeping wasn't a thing. He had to physically find you for him to inflct it. There was also no downside to waking eachother up like current Freddy.

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197
    Options

No option for OG PTB Freddy? Shame...