People who have an m.2 drive

Botiz
Botiz Member Posts: 483

How is the installation of DBD updates for y'all?

I know some people (myself including) have no issue with downloading updates but then it takes like 45 minutes to an hour to finally fully install, so wanted to know whether those who have DBD installed on m.2 drives experience the same issue or not

Comments

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,838

Never more than 10 minutes max. I have an i9-9900K with an nvme m.2 1 tb and it updates like butter. Plus other benefits to my system.

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446
    edited May 2021

I'm pretty sure the 45 minutes you're experiencing is the time it takes to unpack data and all that. This time can be shortened by having a faster processor. I believe that a faster storage drive will just load your games faster. Correct me if I'm wrong tech-savvy people.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,743

I don't have an m.2 but a 1tb SSD updates dbd in like... 13 minutes? For a chapter or midchapter? About 8 for a hotfix

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

I have a hard drive for most games including DBD probably like 15 min max

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

DbD is weird, it's literally the only game I own that is this slow at installing updates. No matter how good your CPU or SSD is it'll take so much longer than every other game. Not even other Unreal Engine games that use the same process take this long (at least it's not like Street Fighter V, where it'll download over half the game again because they just make you redownload the altered pak files every time it gets an update lmao)

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

I recently built a new PC and went from an SSD to an M.2 (at least for dbd things) and the installs are exponentially faster, on the SSD i used be waiting for 20 minutes for it to download and unpack now it's no-less than 10 minutes.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

I usually go make a coffee or go to the bathroom and by the time I come back it's done. Doesn't take long at all - well under 10 minutes. I use an ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

I dont think i've experience the unpacking issue since i've moved DBD to my m.2, but it'll probably be easier to tell once the update/PTB goes live as it includes new content and probably some visual upgrades.

Feel free to @ me on the 25th, i'd be more than happy to tell you my results.

• just_teme
    just_teme Member Posts: 195
  • Botiz
    Botiz Member Posts: 483

Thanks y'all, ended up buying the WD Black SN850 and just redownloaded the game to see how long the installation would take. Ended up only having to verify after the download and only took 1 minute 46 seconds which is awesome, now I won't have to be waiting forever for updates every time haha