Needing to slug for the 4k is getting so boring.

As we know hatch standoffs were changed some time ago so that the killer can close the hatch, but it then that powers the doors. We really need some type of new change when it comes down to the last two survivors.

Needing to slug a survivor to make sure you can actually get the 4k takes so long. Down a survivor go around looking for the lone survivor hiding somewhere find out they picked up the downed survivor, down them again, do the search again, and again all the way until someone bleeds out or you get the 4th survivor.

This is extremely boring for the slugged survivor and boring for the killer when we could be in a 2nd or even 3rd game by the time you find the 4th survivor. It's not fair for the killer to just give the 4th survivor the hatch either and unless you know exactly where the hatch and doors are killing the 3rd survivor is too risky.

Thoughts on what should change about the current meta of needing to slug a survivor to guarantee a 4k?

Long time lurker this is my first created post :D

Comments

• velosinhooo
    velosinhooo Member Posts: 295

I mean you should put the guy on the hook as now they need to fail skillchecks t get sacrificed, Slugging is one of the best game strategies but is it really worth for you, I mean if you are slugging and you sacrificed 2 guys and there are 2 gens missing I really dont think that you are slugging the right way or you slugged the hole match, slugging doesnt give you pips and if you slugg at some point there will be no survivors at gens or 1 only survivor at gen, if there is only one survivor at a gen you should be able to slowdown their game, and so if their game is slowed down you can easily get the 3k without the hatch even appearing as a snowball, I dont want to seem like guy that is annoying by criticizing your way to play, all I am trying to say is that slugging the 3 survivor and trying to find the 4 one isnt a good idea if the hatch hasnt spawned, and if the hatch has spawned you had a difficult early game or maybe you got a SWF, either way is difficult to have a comeback if your early game was bad, so I something to offer you, I usually use Spirit with Stridor, Ruin, Tinkerer, Thrilling Tremors, slugg is only necessary if you had a really defficult early game or you started to snow ball the survivors, Slugging isnt necessary in this build as you are probably not gonna pass 1 gen done. I really hope that helped you :) Peace Out

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Just let the guy get hatch so what?

• velosinhooo
    edited May 2021

That does NOT guarantee that you are gonna have 4k on every match as its not a cake recipe or the memorized hatch spawn locations, as Spirit you have more speed than other killers to find the hatch only loosing to Nurse when the hatch is at the top of a little mountain as she can just blink and ignore the mountain that the survivor has to follow. Either way you shouldnt try to 4k every game, that doesnt make your game any funnier or any happier, but make your choice, Fun or 4k every game.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,695

I have slugged for the 4k a few times but Idk if I'm gonna do it anymore because again it's boring and kind of a waste of time. I'll probably only slug if I see the 4th survivor.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 571

There's 2 things I'd like to see changed that would stop this:

1) A "give up" option if you're slugged for over a minute straight, the ability to make your bleedout bar tick 4x as fast, or something similar.

2) Better baseline anti-stealth for killer. By this I mean crows appearing on a survivor if they do nothing to progress the game for a while. If they're good enough at hiding on a huge map and don't do objectives it can take the killer forever to find them because the crows just aren't good enough.

• velosinhooo

exactly the game is not gonna get any funnier you passing 30+ minutes trying to find the 4 sneaky survivor that revives the other one and sneakes into a locker, believe me I was the kinda guy that slugged the 3 guy and started to search the 4 survivor, every time the 3 survivor is revived you start to get pissed, youn only loose time and fun searching infinitely for the 4 survivor.

• Artick
    Artick Member Posts: 623

So don't?

• velosinhooo

With the time he is trying to get the 32 k 4 kills he could have gotten more 20k just playing another match.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839
    edited May 2021

2) Better baseline anti-stealth for killer. By this I mean crows appearing on a survivor if they do nothing to progress the game for a while. If they're good enough at hiding on a huge map and don't do objectives it can take the killer forever to find them because the crows just aren't good enough.

I don't think anything like that will ever happen. The game was originally intended to be a hide-and-seek game. While it is far from that now, if you look at the mechanics through that kind of lens, you can see where some mechanics make a bit more sense than they otherwise would. I honestly feel that some of the gameplay design team want to keep this playstyle in the game, and therefor won't outright punish it regardless of how detrimental it can feel to anyone else. Passive stealth isn't just a playstyle that is available, it was originally a major point of the game, and will always remain a supported playstyle by the design team.

I could be wrong, they could change their minds, but it seems like someone is keeping the torch lit on the dev team for the originally intended playstyle of the game.

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

The words "Need" and "4K" shouldn't have to be in the same sentence. There is no "need" for a 4K under almost any circumstance. You can easily pip and get a ton of BP (and possibly even double pip -- I'm not 100% sure on that) with a 3K anytime.

I'll slug for the 4K when I have both of the remaining survivors within reach (and usually only if both are injured), or rarely if everyone on the team is super-close and I can get everyone down (like a Tier 3 Myers situation with everyone nearby). But if I have two people dead, a 3rd person down and ready to be dead, and I have no idea where the 4th person is? Yeah -- unless the team was particularly poor sports during the match, I'll just get my 3rd kill and make it a race to the hatch. If they get it, it's fine -- heck, I give hatch a good number of times anyway. If I get the 4th beforehand, obviously that works too.

If you're bored because you keep slugging a 3rd survivor to go looking for the 4th, only to continue to have to rinse and repeat -- well, that's on you. You're the one sweating in that case, and if it's causing you to not enjoy yourself, you can simply stop doing it, get the 4K's when they happen organically, and remember that not every successful killer round needs a 4K to be so.

• stikyard
    stikyard Member Posts: 526

The mindset of sweating about the 4K is the real problem here. You don't like playing the way you need to play to secure the 4K but, you desperately want the 4K anyway...

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

I've always been of the opinion:

If you need to slug for 4k's, you suck at getting 4k's. There is an exception tho, where you instantly find the other survivor and then are slugging to keep your momentum. But if there is no other survivor within any observation(infectious fright, footsteps, breathing, coughing, actually seeing or hearing them), slugging is just admitting you cant get a 4k.

So, again in my opinion: slug for 4k<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<3k+gate escape<3k+hatch<3k+gifted hatch/actual 4k

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005

The problem lies within your mindset, not within the game. 3k is still a victory for the killer, why would you want to go out of your way just to get 4k? You are not entitled for getting 4k every game, the hatch is an intentional random mechanic. If you need those 4k, you have to work for it.

Other than that, the hatch mechanic is indeed bad, but not for the killer. The actual hatch standoff is happening between 2 remaining survivors, if they are not on comms, One of them has to die so that the other may have a chance with the hatch. So either one of them has to sacrifice himself for the other, or they just start ratting each other and selling to the Killer. This is awful and needs to be addressed by BHVR.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

And what makes you entitled to get 4k every match? If it's boring to you don't do it ez as that

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

I really don't care if the last person gets the hatch. Sometimes I'll GIVE them the hatch. Or even the Exit gates if they're nice or were good and i felt they got screwed by their team. I remember this Quentin a couple days ago, he was pretty good. I had NoED (on Pig, cause her endgame is weak) and he had gotten his trap off. I hooked the last other survivor a third time, as the second one died on their second hook. (The first survivor died on their third hook some time back). Anyway, Quentin booped the snoot. I almost didn't notice it, but after hitting him I let him wiggle free and let him go through the exit gates. It doesn't take anything away from me. I still get the feeling of victory. To me, 4k is just icing on the cake.

• FreddysMain
    FreddysMain Member Posts: 289

I had this really bizarre game the other day we were against a wraith and he kept getting one person down then another slugging we went to heal.. but he kept doing the same thing over and over he also had ruin. When I got his hex and got gens done so many of them died because they eventually bled out because they were slugged that many times I managed to heal and get gens done as much as I could. There was one gen left and me and Cheryl was left she got slugged after healing me so then I tried to find a key but no.. he did not hook anyone at this point everyone died because they got slugged so when we both got slugged I tried to crawl to the hatch then he closed it on my picked me up to get me to open the gate after wiggling then I did he got me down as soon as the gate opened I tried to crawl what did he do…..got his first hook and hit me on the hook while he kept staring at me.

that game was the most boring game I’ve ever had on DBD. I knew this guy had a plan when he kept slugging everyone I knew he wanted the 4K but damn!

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

Well that's why I don't slug for the 4k. What usually happens in my games is if there's a really good survivor, I want them to escape through the hatch because they 100% earned it, or if everybody just sucks, I can usually find them with BBQ before the hatch becomes an issue.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

I only slug for 4k if I'm going for an adept, see you as I down the 3rd guy, or have some sort of tracking aid (all seeing wraith, doctor shock, etc).

Otherwise I'm going to take my chances with the hatch and exit gates.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

Nobody is forcing you to slug. If you care so much about the difference between a 4 and a 3, then just put in the work and earn it. The game gives you all the tools to do it and it's nowhere like the old hatch stand-offs, which were legitimately stalemates.

You have all the power to end the game to your liking.

• bibibib8
    bibibib8 Member Posts: 843

The 4k is a victory if 1 survivor escape its a loss i dont understand why people say a 3k is a win 1 survivor escape that mean you did a bad job in killing him because he is alive

• ChiSoxFan11
    ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,093

In your viewpoint, maybe -- but for many, if not most people, that's simply not true.

Even in Otzdarva's 50 win streaks, he counted games where he let someone out via the hatch as a "win". Maybe you should jump in his chat and tell him how so many of his wins were actually "losses" and he apparently did a bad job since someone left the match alive, lol. 🙄

I've had many matches where I've had 3 survivors dead at the 3-4-5 gen mark, and before I could get to it, the hatch literally spawned next to the last remaining survivor who escaped. In every one of those matches, I likely played well, pipped up, and took that as an easy "win" (if you can even define what "winning" is -- for every player, it's a different standard). If your only "win" condition is a 4K -- well, you're going to find this game pretty disappointing then.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn
    FrndlyChnswSalzmn Member Posts: 705

So he's a sweatlord for doing his best.

This is the problem with DbD and with games in general: we hate people who play to win and expect to be handed victory.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,172

I can't speak for everyone but I don't think getting a 4K is the only way to win in this game. Maybe you feel it's 4K or you have lost but I don't feel that way at all.

But even if I were to agree to that condition, I'd rather lose a game letting 1 person get away rather than win but needing to spend (at least) 4 more minutes in a game that is effectively over. I value my time a lot more than some arbitrary win condition.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

If you're not doing an adept or a challenge who cares if it's a 3 or 4k?

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Imagine wasting time by slugging when you could already be in your next match earning blood points.

• valvarez4
    valvarez4 Member Posts: 868

Do you think camper the hook at egc to 1k is ok? you can ENSURE a kill. But you think a CHANCE to find the hatch to 1 escape is not ok?

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446

Unless you know where the last survivor is, slugging for the 4k isn't worth the time and effort.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

Just depends on the group. If they did really good, I'll let them have hatch. If they didn't do good and gens are still left, I'll slug since they didn't earn a free escape. That's just how I play. If you 4%, I'll always give hatch or an escape no matter how they acted. If the Entity wants you to live, I have no say in the matter.

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 998

What you get for killing four people over three:

• 2,500 devious points (Score Event - No One Escaped)
    • 700 sacrifice points
    • 2 devout emblem points

---

Unless you really care about those points (whose categories you can max without it, except maybe sacrifice), and/or the emblem points (won't matter if you're max rank), there's no other reason to 4k other than personal satisfaction.

I personally never think it's worth prolonging a game to ruin my own and others player experience to force such meager rewards - especially when I know I've already won. I'd much rather just end things quickly and coin-flip if they get hatch or not. I never understand people who slug for it, and assume they just really need the ego boost from the satisfaction of killing four.

• Marik13
    Marik13 Member Posts: 683

9.9/10 times I end up slugging the 3rd survivor cus I usually know where the 4th survivor is and go grab them. After that I then proceed to hook and end the game quickly. If I don't know where the last survivor is I just go and hook the 3rd and then begin my search and go to some of the spots that I think would be likely.

• getuy45u4iu
    getuy45u4iu Member Posts: 93

I agree it’s boring for the killer, but probably this mechanic won’t change. I would not care much for the hatch escapes, if it was not accompanied by teabagging on hatch and EZ in comments afterwards. But probably survivors should actually earn their escapes by completing their objective, not get out for free because killer felt bored to slug. Just slug more for 4k, you’ll get used to it and learn how to find them quicker. They also feel bored when hiding, at some point they may just give up.

• Itslat3ncy
    Itslat3ncy Member Posts: 353

Just dont slug for the 4th, that simple. You dont need to do it because you most likely pipped at that point anyways. Also why waste your time by taking the game hostage essentially. Just hook the third and take the 5050 on hatch.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,137
    edited May 2021

I only slug for the 4k if I have to for a challenge or an achievement. Otherwise, unless the last survivor is right there, I hook number 3 and if the 4th gets hatch then whatever.

If there are two survivors left, just pick which one you'd rather give a chance to escape and go for the other one. That way, if the last one does get out, you're okay with it.

If I'm the final survivor and the killer is slugging for the 4k, I'll often just start making noise notifications and give myself up. "Here I am, please kill me! I'd rather move on to the next match than play out this farce." It might piss off the slugged survivor because oh no I didn't try to win, but I rarely care about escaping, anyway. If it's me slugged I'd rather just die and get the hell out, so who knows, maybe the slugged survivor doesn't mind my forfeiting, I'll never know.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,356

It's very annoying to face killers who force a game to go on far longer than it needs to, just because they feel they need to get a 4K.

I basically never slug for the 4K unless the last survivor is literally in front of my face after I downed someone else. Most of the time I find the hatch anyways and close it preventing the last person from escaping regardless.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

If I know where the hatch is ill hook the survivor. If not ill slug until I find them or the hatch. Ill hook the 3rd person if they are close to bleeding out though. I really like my blood points. Most of the time though the survivor who did nothing the entire is usually the one hiding in a corner from my experience.

• AngryKiller
    AngryKiller Member Posts: 66

Ah, toxic survivors trying to convince killers to let them win. Will the entitlement never end.

What is it about playing survivor that makes someone think they deserve to win when they did nothing the whole match? Is doing gens and getting out that hard?

• Kirkylad
    Kirkylad Member Posts: 1,927

Delete pity hatch, problem solved.

• odra
    odra Member Posts: 369

i hate prolonging games for 4K if the last survivor find hatch then so be it. if i play survivor and the last killer start slugging then i will let him enjoy his own game by hiding until the last survivor bleed out.

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009

Had a Nemesis do this on the PTB. I was slugged and he hunted for a Jill. He got her. He refused to hook her till he could find the me again, but he couldn't. So he camped the hatch and waited for her to bleed out. Then stomped the hatch and waited for me to bleed out. I mean how pitiful can one be to be scared to not 4K in DBD... let alone the PTB?

The 4K privilege outlook needs to go away, but it won't. Just like how SWF group will scream at you when you kill their TTV cause they think their "leader" should escape.