The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why do so many survivors ignore BBQ?

CountVampyr
CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050

I don’t get it. Certain rounds go by and it’s like nobody tries to hide when a person is hooked even when it is completely obvious that it’s in play. Just had one against a Blight that would down people across the map mere seconds after a hook. These aren’t noobs either they’re in red ranks like I am. What is it? Cockiness? Some random challenge? Or is it they just don’t care? I get a little flustered waiting ten minutes for a match only to find people not even trying to win.

Comments

• velosinhooo
    velosinhooo Member Posts: 295

I mean the rare moments I do play survivor when someone gets downed I enter to a locker when I cant hide behind a gen and the team mate that was doing the gen with me gets out of the gen and start to try to get me out of the locker, that pisses me of as its giving my localization and his as well, thats why I play as killer, soloqueue sucks and I am a masochist that likes suffering from key SWF and survivor sided game, but thats DBD lol

• CountVampyr
    edited June 2021

Yeah. But the match that I was just in all of the other players were in the same quadrant of the map with two working on the same gen. And when another person was downed, I jumped into a locker while another character conveniently began working on a gen near me just as the other was hooked. Lol. I can’t figure if these things are intentional or just stupid.

In solo queue, I’m more confident in my skills to distract a character than I am in other people doing the hook save. I’ve seen too many people hiding behind rocks mere feet away when its obvious the killer is on the other side of the map after someone else, only to wait until the second state before unhooking.

• velosinhooo

Poor guy, you believe at you solo queue team mates that are selfcaring in the other corner of the map and are gonna look for the anithing other then saving your teamate or helping you, it happends to me all time, its usually me( r3 survior) r16 baby dwight and 2 r18 claudettes with selfcare, thats why Im killer main lol

• velosinhooo

I go to locker when the downed teamate is getting picked by the killer so I am able to hide my aura from the killer.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

A: Unless everyone else hops in a locker, it doesn't really mean much.

B: I want the killer to leave the hook and come after me if i'm far enough away.

C: If I hide in a locker, the killer might assume someone's hiding nearby and camp the hook.

• velosinhooo

thats my point, the problem of the game is hitbox and matchmaking.

• rch614
    rch614 Member Posts: 551

I dont really care if killer comes to me via BBQ. I get a chase and my teammates can hopefully decide to save.

I also only hide if I'm the last one standing for hatch.

• CountVampyr

Maybe. But if the killer is using BBQ consistently to get downs within seconds of a hook, I think maybe it’s time to change your strategy. Maybe take that ability away from him? I don’t know. It’s only a thought. Call me crazy.

• SloppyVoldemort
    SloppyVoldemort Member Posts: 452

So they can cry on the forums how OP bbq is and it has no counterplay ;)

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Believe or not, there are still a tonne of players that don’t understand that lockers block auras

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

I mean I'm not going to waste my time going to find a locker, when I could be working on a generator. I'll know soon enough if the killer is headed my way, and if they are I make my move then. If they aren't, I continue working on my generator. Either that or I'm going to set up for the rescue. If I can draw aggro away from the hook, it gives my team a better shot. Now if I wasn't decent in chase, I'd probably hide in a locker. But really I don't see much reason to as long as you're a half-decent looper. Just be prepared.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

If everyone hid, the killer would use it as an excuse to camp because they'll assume the survivors are close.

• latigresa
    latigresa Member Posts: 88

The killer can only chase 1 person. Hiding your aura only dooms everyone else. The chances are better for the team if everyone doesn’t hide than if a few do. There are specific situations like doing the last gen solo or the last person free when you may want to hide. But it’s counterproductive to hide every time.

• BSVben
    BSVben Member Posts: 256

It's really inefficient to hide in a locker when you could spend that time during a gen.

It also encourages the killer to leave the hook.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Who cares? There's 3 people in the trial that BBQ probably lit up, unless 2 of them wasted massive amounts of time hiding.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

I personally don't care about BBQ. Becasue There are usually 3 other survivors that will appear on BBQ, so it's a 25% chance that the killer will come to me. And being chased is one of the best things in this game anyway.

But if there are like me and 1 more survivor, then I hide from BBQ.

• valvarez4
    valvarez4 Member Posts: 868

If you read these forums killers don’t use the aura reading of b&c

• CountVampyr

It’s equally inefficient in the cases that I describe. You need to be able to know when to hide. If there’s a rank 1 killer downing people left and right primarily because of BBQ and everybody is spending more time unhooking than fixing gens, smarten the eff up because you’re losing.

• CountVampyr

lol. All of the killers I come across don’t post here then.

• BSVben

If everyone else is getting downed left and right, then it is imperative that the killer sees my aura. At least then I can loop him for a good while, to give my teammates a chance to reset, and do gens.

It also helps to spread the hooks out instead of the same survivors hook trading.

I don't know what rank/level of gameplay you are at, but at the the higher levels, stealthy play is absolutely the most inefficient style of play.

• CountVampyr

You’re not reading what I posted. I’m in red ranks as are all of the others. Two people fixing a gen in a corner as a person is hooked by a rank 1 blight with ruin in effect. Yeah. Totally efficient way to play the game. You’re still having half the group wasting time healing and by the time you’re done he’s hooked another person and on your ass again. The killer sticking close to the first hook for a little bit because he doesn’t know where everybody else might be is never a bad thing. Why make it out to be so terrible? It gives time for everybody to work on gens.

• BSVben

Ahh, I didn't see the part regarding 2 survivors working on a gen together.

The issue isn't the survivors hiding or not hiding, it's that they are doubling up on a gen rather than splitting up. If they aren't doubled up on gens, then blight has to choose which gen to interrupt, making ruin that much less effective.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that hiding in a locker is always a bad idea, or that it makes you a bad teammate/survivor. I'm just trying to point out that there are plenty of good reasons to ignore BBQ instead of hiding from it.

• Eros_LucianoTTV
    Eros_LucianoTTV Member Posts: 42

I used to hide in lockers when i was new to the game or count 4 seconds then go the other direction.

But after playing DBD for awhile now, i cant be bothered anymore, i rather get chased now as that is where the fun is for me as a survivor. Only time i would hide is when i am the last or it is a obvious hatch game.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

It baffles we me that people still don't play around B&C when it's been meta for years. Since it released, even.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,896

A lot of survivors won't do anything against BBQ because 1 - we want the killer to move away from the hook, and not seeing anyone's aura can prevent that and 2 - we enjoy chases and don't mind the killer finding and chasing us, whilst someone else gets the save.

Everyone has their own playstyle, some are more sneaky and hidey, but some are more brazen and enjoy the fun of the chase...even when playing killer, the chases are my favourite part of the game, I find it incredibly unfun to play the hide n seek part of the game, on both sides.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302
  • kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 616

Lol. You have to wait ten minutes?! Before cross play the wait time for us was ~30 minutes.

You waste a lot of time trying to hide from BBQ. I bring distortion, so I don't have to hide my aura at least three times. With that you can pretty much figure out every single perk a killer has most games. Tap a gen, oh look ruin. Finish a gen, there is Bitter Murmur. Survivor hooked and you are out of range, BBQ confirmed. Downed survivor makes you scream, there's the choir (to be clear distortion won't stop this). The only problem is that if you find someone with Nurse's Calling or the totem aura revealer you will see your tokens evaporate. It still helps you figure that information out though. I find that knowing for certain what at least some of the killer's perks are helps a ton.

• CountVampyr

To be clear, I don’t always try to avoid BBQ. If I haven’t been hooked yet I’ll stay on a gen, but if he comes to me within seconds that will be the confirmation for me. The only time I may jump into a locker without being downed first is if the gen is more than half done but less than can be completed in the time the killer can reach me. I don’t want to give the gen’s position away and there’s nothing worse than spending all of that time just to have it totally blown by PGTW or an active Ruin. Now that is what I call inefficient.

• Babawizwiz
    Babawizwiz Member Posts: 347

Just gonna point this out

Survivors need to know when to hide in lockers from BBQ and when not to. I've seen countless survivor teammates who constantly go in lockers whenever a killer hooks, even when they are clearly not 40 meters away. Also good survivors don't mind the killers seeing them, that's why old OoO was broken. We gotta show off those looping skills.

• CriticalWeasel
    CriticalWeasel Member Posts: 378

Pull heat off the other survivors, I don’t really care about being seen by BBQ. Unless any kind of instant down is at play.

• CountVampyr

If you’re a good looper then great, but when you’re in a match like I described where people are getting downed left and right, it’s painfully obvious that NOBODY is a good looper, lol! If you’re not a good looper, quit attracting the killer’s attention!

• Babawizwiz
    Babawizwiz Member Posts: 347

If they're not decent at looping, probably aren't good players to begin with.

• CountVampyr

I think the “falling left and right” part was the giveaway.

I don’t consider myself a great looper either, but I know the extent of my own limitations. I’m sure most people that post here can give great reasons to ignore BBQ, but that knowledge base doesn’t seem to transfer to the general public that plays the game. Most people just don’t know how to adapt to ground conditions. For instance, you may think you are a “great looper”, but if you come against a killer that is clearly out of your league then choosing to be the distraction is probably not the best allotment of your time.

• NVerde
    NVerde Member Posts: 264

I must admit, after I actually realised that pretty much every killer was using it and I got educated on how to avoid it, I did consistently try to get into a locker before every hook but guess what - that is boring as hell. Now, if I'm on a gen I try to angle myself so I won't be exposed but otherwise unless I'm right next to a locker I don't bother. I want to get better as escaping from killers and the only way to do that is to practice being in a chase so by all means, come at me bro

• stikyard
    stikyard Member Posts: 526

If you aren't good in chase or on death hook and injured... you should hide.

• Zixology
    Zixology Member Posts: 1,062

Cause BBQ is a toss up.

You either get found immediately or the killer camps.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,494

When bbqs in play im sometimes the chad who teabags the whole duration. Gets the killer away from the hook and away from my team especially if im not even on a gen and can take the chase.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Because the killer knowing where you are doesn't account for much if they can't catch you.