What's everyone opinions on being able to 99% doors?

Options
VESSEL
VESSEL Member Posts: 1,068

Bored so here's just a general thread. Lemme know what ya'll think

Comments

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,793
    edited June 2021
    Options

I don't understand why people complain about it, it can be a possible counter to blood warden

• dragobv
    dragobv Member Posts: 304
    Options

ironicly as long as the door is closed the killer has unlimited time to get kills if you open it the killer has maybe 3 minutes to get kills so the survivor are just helping you

• velosinhooo
    velosinhooo Member Posts: 295
    Options

Thats not the worst thing, when thee exit gates spawn one in one side of the map and the other in the complete other, its really easy to escape, I dont really care getting 4k every match, 3k is ok for me, but its really annoying to just be able open the exit gates as its impossible to get to the other in time.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

They'll eventually have to open the gate to escape (besides keys, which are stupid but their own topic). EGC exists to make sure a game actually ends.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,075
    Options

I don't really see an issue with 99% exit gates. It can backfire against survivors as well. I've had games where I went from having a 0K to a 4K, because none of the exit gates got open and I was able to slug the survivors preventing anyone from escaping.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

I absolutely despise the EGC, so I would like to be able to open doors right away, instead of having to 99% them because of a timer.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,619
    Options

Sadly EGC is the necessary evil. Otherwise we would have funny people who hold the game hostage and force Killers and Survivors into DCs.

• humanbeing1704
    Options

Didn't know that regardless I don't care if survivors do it when I play killer

• GeneralV
    Options

Yeah, I know. Yet I still hate it. Never had many problems with people holding the game hostage, and I would return to that time if I could.

Having a timer at the end of the game is just...bad.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

It encourages altruism, which favors the killer. It's a soft counter to Blood Warden, but it can also scres over survivors who'd made it out if the gate was actually open.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944
    Options

A killer leaving the survivors to go all the way to a gate and open it is the same as going to a corner and afk, it can't even be suggested as a strategy

Not exactly.

The difference here is that opening the gate to start the EGC WILL end the game in 2 minutes no matter what.

Standing in the corner and being AFK just gives the survivor the ability to hold the game hostage as long as they want to.

• Aven_Fallen
    Options

It just should guarantee that the game comes to an end. And not some Survivors decide it would be "funny" to crouch around the Map so that the Killer will not find them and is taken hostage.

I also never have experienced this. Survivors at the Gate to teabag, give me points, wanting that I see them run away - yeah. But got never taken hostage.

But apparently enough people did to make this change.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

Should drain if not opened while they have the chance. This would also stop situation where you run to the gate only to find it not opened yet and are downed while waiting for the door to move.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,225
    Options

Why is this suddenly about EGCbeing x sided?

Its about people being able to absolutely ignore it by prepping the door. Which sucks.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,730
    Options

EGC needs some changes.

• humanbeing1704
    Options

Hasn't it basically been the same since it was released

• GeneralV
    Options

Same. Maybe we just lucky or maybe holding the game hostage was not as common as perceived to be.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,127
    Options

Nothing wrong with it.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

It's fine. EGC is only meant to end hatch stand offs or survivors refusing to leave for extended period of time. Killers have misinterpreted it to think it's supposed to be a tool for them to get sacrifices when it's just to stop the game from being held hostage. I wish they'd rework EGC to just have match end with no additional sacrifice points for killer and no escape points for survivor if survivors have not exited the game.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

I'm okay with survivors 99'ing the gates because that gives killers more time to get some hooks and possibly kills. I'll only open it myself if I want bloodwarden to activate.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,380
    edited June 2021
    Options

The problem isn't the doors, its the EGC timing. It would be better if it triggered on the last gen being powered if gate regression isn't going to be a thing.

As is now survivors are effectively in complete control of when the timer starts with no real risk to them.

Outside of fringe cases like the killer giving up or going for a blood warden EGC strat, but I those are so far removed from the normal gameplay its not a significant consideration.

So in a way, yeah 99% doors is a problem since it lets them choose whenever they want the EGC to start.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

They should regress 😃

• Netherstorm
    Netherstorm Member Posts: 42
    Options

I don't know.. almost every single game, players 99% the doors and the killer gets MORE KILLS as a result. The majority of the time, 3 of the 4 of us could have escaped, but instead the players 99% and end up with 2 or 3 dead.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    Options
  • YuisPinkBob
    YuisPinkBob Member Posts: 353
    Options

99'ing an exit is fine. There is nothing wrong with it. It's a counter to Blood Warden and it can help both the survivors and killer, depending on the situation.

Killers can open the gates themselves so it's fair. By opening the gate after a survivor is downed, a killer guarantees Blood Warden to come into play with little pressure lost. Alternatively, if survivors opening a gate is a problem then No Way Out can be ran so survivors cannot open/99 the gate for a short period of time.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,574
    Options

99'ing the gates does more harm than good for the survivors.

For one there's the obvious case, you being injured and chased by the killer. You simply do not have any time to open the gate, not even tapping it. A 99'ed gate kills you in this scenario. If another survivor stays at the gate to open it if need be, it won't matter, but it's not uncommon that no one is there to open it for you when you need it.

Sometimes you may not even know whether a gate was indeed 99'ed, bc you cannot see the switch until being very close. You will only see a closed door from far away. With the killer on your heels, you might be tempted to run further instead of to the gate, even if you would have time to on-tap it and go out. With an already opened door it's crystal clear that you can get out there.

And lastly, like others have mentioned, the killer gets more time to kill and hook ppl bc the survivors do not want to leave anyone behind. I had SO MANY games that went really bad, with only like 2-3 hooks until all gens were done, only to have the survivors getting them killed repeatedly after that, so I go out with 10+ hooks multiple sacrifices, compared to 3 hooks and one sacrifice.

Regarding Bloodwarden, that one is used SO RARELY! And even when it triggers, you can easily outplay it: Just do not hide at the exit, but nearby. The only real danger is a late bloodwarden, so the entity kills you due to EGC. But than can be easily dealt with (running out before someone get's hooked, or proactively trigger it early by opening the gate right BEFORE someone gets hooked!).

To summarize:

For killer, 99'ing the gates gives them a chance to get some more hooks / kills of the game went bad.

For SWF survivors, 99'ing the gate is fine, since you can coordinate via comms.

For soloQ, 99'ed gates do not help you in the majority of games, but may be your death sentence.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

The only issue I have with 99ing gates is that it renders Bloodwarden largely useless. Bloodwarden should be able to pocket its effect if you hook someone after the last gen is finished but before someone opens an Exit Gate. Other than that, I don't really mind 99ing gates.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719
    Options

Handy, I don't really see a problem with it. I've had it benefit me as well as screw me over. I've found that altruism kills, so leaving the door just enough to run out and grab that last survivor is just as detrimental to the survivor as anybody.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options

However, it really doesn't give the killer pressure at all because the time survivors have is more than enough. If someone is hooked or whatever the case may be, you'll have ample time to save them. If you couldn't save them, which could be within 2 - 4 minutes — then you were probably not going to save them to begin with. The EGC is just doing you a favor by saving you time and making you go to the next game.

Besides, I find the EGC to add more strategy during the endgame. If someone gets caught, it makes the other survivors be creative to get their teammates out. The timer alone makes you feel the pressure and know it's now or never. Even through you get a lot of time, it still feels like any mistake can be very costly.

• Aven_Fallen
    Options

The only creativity is the decision if you leave them behind or unhook them for a shorter timer, which might result in not enough time to make the Gate.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,947
    Options

The EGC does provide pressure, and it begins when a Gate is Open. Both sides can initiate the countdown and this is when the pressure begins. The repeatedly stated goal of EGC is to provide a way to bring the match to the end and prevent hostage taking. EGC fulfills that goal and does a good job of it. EGC is not intended to be a killer tool.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843
    Options

I think a slow passive regression would be fair. People can still prep the gate without opening it but they would have to stay near to keep it topped off or risk not being able to open it quickly enough later on without someone there ahead of time. Or they can choose to fully open it so they don't have to deal with that problem

Maybe if EGC has already started the regression is disabled

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Options

If it came down to the last seconds in the EGC, then the killer played a solid defense for the majority of the EGC. At that point, I believe the killer deserves a sacrifice since you and your teammates couldn't properly execute a save within the allotted time frame (which is around 2 - 4 minutes).

On top of that, you took the risk when the EGC was dangerously low. You decided to put pressure on yourself. I can understand making attempts / risks while you have time, but if you couldn't be successful after multiple attempts and time is getting low, it's a sign to move on accept the fact that you weren't meant to save them.

• CoalTower
    CoalTower Member Posts: 1,730
    Options
  • Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

99-ing the exit gates is fair play.

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,021
    Options

as a killer i always open the door if i see it 99 i cant stand being farmed for the next few min so id rather end the match and move onto the next

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723
    Options

It's a smart play by survivors to make sure they have time to do safe rescues. Also, it prevents BW unless a killer opens the gate themselves. It's fine the way it is.

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747
    Options

I think doors should regress at least to 90% if they leave the gates 99.

• Grimmy_Bluues
    Grimmy_Bluues Member Posts: 354
    Options

It's perfectly fine to 99 doors, and even a smart idea in pretty much all circumstances. Only issue is it defeats the purpose of EGC. If they made the EGC start when the last gen popped while increasing the timer, it would make it less annoying.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

As someone who when plays as survivor does exactly this, I think it's a stupid terrible feature. They need to add a regression to the gate progress.