Hatred of keys

a large number of people hate keys I acknowledge that

my question however is do you change how you play when you see someone has a key? why or why not?

keys have many uses other than just "opening hatch" I personally like to use it for the bond effect but I cant because it gets me tunneled every time and I dont think its fair to the person being tunneled because they get rushed and cant play the game, the other survivors because they dont get to do chases which makes the game boring for them, or the killer because they just wasted their time to "put that survivor in their place so they dont get a 'free win'."

Comments

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

A little, maybe. I might tunnel the key user if it's worth the time investment. And I might try to not take anyone out of the game until I know multiple people are on death hook (including the key user).

• RaingerPlaysDBD
    RaingerPlaysDBD Member Posts: 27

As far as I know, the Devs said they are moving to make Keys part of a base game side Objective. (Along with Moris. They said something about Survivors spending time interacting with the System, or suffering the consequences of not doing so. Maybe disabling some kind of support item for the Killer that if not disabled when the Killer gets a certain number of hooks allows everyone to be Mori'd, that's just a speculation. They said they want Killers to "work" for their Moris and vice versa for Survivors and their Keys. IE making Keys an Item that you can only obtain in the Trial and leave behind when you escape).

However, on topic of this thread I think Keys do (much like old moris) do end the match prematurely, and do reward Survivors for inefficient play. It's the best "get out scott free" card Survivors can pull. Now, as an Item I think they really need to bring it up to current Standards. Perhaps giving each Key a base passive Aura Reading Range on Survivors (14 Meters) and then allowing the Aura Reading Add-Ons (Gold Token, Eroded Token) to extend the Passive Reading Range AS WELL AS allow you to Channel to Read at a Further Distance. Perhaps the Scratched Pearl could allow Survivors to see you whilst in the Keys passive aura reading range?

Just food for thought.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

I don't change how I play. Becasue I don't know if it's a broken key or one of the other 2 keys

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,013

harhar is ze reference from le hit indy game undertale?

All jokes aside tho yeah I don't blame you. Key users should expect to get tunneled.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568

Not much different, but if hatch spawned and I chase survivor with key, I can slug him to prevent escape.

I don't throw the game to tunnel key user out. It's useless because someone would pick up his key anyway.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,816

I don't go out of my way to play differently, but, if I have a choice at some point between the person with a key and someone else, I'll probably chase the person with the key, since they're more dangerous.

• truegod_10
    truegod_10 Member Posts: 393

I pretty much do the same as this person.

Honestly keys should just be a thing for aura reading. No other item gets a secondary feature except toolboxes, which can break hooks temporarily. If they have to give keys an additional feature then make it something like opening chests instantly.

No one would get tunneled for using them if the keys could not open hatch.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

The issue is that we have challenges in previous tomes which ask to open the hatch with a key.

I would like to use keys for the aura reading tho. The key could unlock the hatch after the five generators are done, not before... Or we should need to complete another objective to make it works—something which takes time, so you'll need to be away from generators. A downside.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I dont think keys are worth their bond effect, because it is not powerful enough to justify being tunneled all game.

• PlantCollector
    PlantCollector Member Posts: 344

I usually dodge keys. They overall create a bad experience, doesn't matter which side im playing.

Especially when playing survivor because they always stop doing gens and waste time searching for hatch to get their escape, even though we all 3 would have probably survived if the guy just did a gen. Happens so often that im dodging unless que times are horrbile.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,694

sometimes I dodge the lobby or tunnel the key user out of the match.

• Gaffy
    Gaffy Member Posts: 222

Seeing as how survs like to bring addons that keep the key after death, instant tunnel. Zero acceptions.

• PureDoctorMain
    PureDoctorMain Member Posts: 341

Franklins that is my change :)

• Bumbus
    Bumbus Member Posts: 600

Usually I lobby dodge, if I don't do that for some reason - I go for hardcore tunneling and slugging. I didn't use moris when they were OP bullshit and I expect survivors to treat keys in the same way, if you want to bring your OP stuff - go on, but I am going to play against that in the most effective way.

• stikyard
    stikyard Member Posts: 526
    edited June 2021

The funny thing is, Keys only account for 3% survival escapes and Killers are averaging 60% Kill rate.

But they rage about keys...

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

I kind of take Stalky Boi's approach; you bring in Keys, you get no mercy. No hatch! :)

• Nathan13

but even franklins doesn't work well because survivors can put keys down then retrieve them when hatch spawns.

• Nathan13

I find it hard to believe that it's 3% when I see keys in most of my matches and the hatch gets used.

• stikyard

I'm pretty sure the last statistics that were given, key escape rates accounted for 3%. I rarely see them and, don't use them unless I find one in game.

• Nathan13

I try to avoid them in the bloodweb because I want med kits and toolboxes which I think are more important items to have.

• stikyard
    edited June 2021
  • PlantCollector
    PlantCollector Member Posts: 344

They could change fanklins in a way, that items on the ground automatically start the same timer as items that got hit out of the hand (i.e. get consumed by the entity after the timer runs out). That would probably at least fix the scenario, where people drop it on the ground.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

accounted for 3%... I don't remember this being as official stat, but either way.

keys might account for 3% of the escapes. but what % of matchess even had a key?

• RoboMojo
    RoboMojo Member Posts: 1,326

I just dodge the lobby if it's a key. Some poor soul will come along and play against it but I'd rather not.

• stikyard

Someone did a test of 160 survivors, 6% of them brought a key, only items lower were maps and fireworks. Out of that 6%, I would assume even less of them actually escaped.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,593

I usually let the last one out through gate or hatch when they did not annoy me. But not when they are holding a key. And esp not when they picked it up from a sacrificed survivor. If they drop it (again) they are free to go. If not, it's hook time!

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,996

I'm ambivalent about keys unless I have a reason to want a 4k (adept, rift challenge.) If they brought a hatch spawn offering, I'll go to confront the key bearer at the spot when the conditions for hatch are reached, but other than that I just play normally.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

so... 40 matches total?

that's nowhere near enough to claim keys are responsible for 3% of escapes

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Well, i still think keys are ok in most cases, a lot of killers are irrationaly afraid of them.

The main difference between keys and moris were that a mori could determine the outcome of a game early on, or even turn an almost lost game into a win later.

Keys dont have that power, they always come in late in the game, when either a lot of gens are done or a lot of survivors are dead, and they dont turn the lost game into a victory, they just let you escape.

While i dont doubt the 3-6% key users, i believe there is a rise in useage, simply because the devs announced an incoming nerf, and we all know they like to overdue things, and keys are most likely the next in line to be useless. There is no reason to keep them, so a lot of people use them now.

But to be fair, we saw the same when they announced they look into moris. (and i admit, i played a mori on every killergame i did, just like i now use up my keys).

The main issue with keys in my opinion is if swf brings them, but thats rather a swf issue. I bring them because i play only solo, and every second game you have a dc or someone suiciding on first hook after not even try to evade the killer. So either i could run up to the killer to end the game there, or i keep fighting because i have a key and might still make it out, and thus i keep playing the game.

Most killers that are against that have either bad experiences with swf, or just enjoy the undeserved advantage of being in a 3v1 match in a 4v1 game.

And yes, i get tunneled often if i bring a key, but then i also get tunneled often if i dont bring a key, because, as many killers will tell you, tunneling is a good strat to get rid of someone. keys have rather the option to make that strategy not worth it.

• bibibib8
    bibibib8 Member Posts: 843

I normally dodge if they swich last second i will slug them and camp the slug. I trow the match just to make sure the key user have a bad time

• CoalTower
    CoalTower Member Posts: 1,730

I slug them all at 5 gens if they quick switch

If they don't, I'll let them get two gens done and end it there so they don't depip.

• EvilBarney666
    EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 334

I agree. I will dodge the lobby. I do it as a way to protest. They shadow nerfed moris, but they left keys the same. As my way of saying I dont agree with that I will not play a game if I see a key.

If you find one in game and I see you with one in your hand I will go after you and try to get you out of the game asap.

I don't really tunnel for them. One of the main reasons I will tunnel you is if you try to use borrowed time to block me from hitting your unhooker. I will wait out the 12 seconds for borrowed as well as the DS timer.

Keys are definitely trouble tho.

• Hektic3000
    Hektic3000 Member Posts: 674

Well when a good majority of survivors are not as good at the game as they think they are then kill rates will be kinda high.

• Nathan13

I wouldn't go by stats because those are not always accurate.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,942

I usually bait the killer by bringing a broken key

• RiskyKara
    RiskyKara Member Posts: 804

Me too sometimes I'll bring a broken key just to get tunneled for funsies. Bonus points if you equip it in the last 6 seconds before match starts.

• Carnagetheory
    Carnagetheory Member Posts: 56

If I'm a killer, I either dodge or if my specific killer has Franklin's, I'll put that on.

If I'm a survivor and a random brings it, I punch myself in the face.

Before Moris were changed sometimes I'd Alt + F4 when I saw a hidden offering from the killer and got into the game. Now that they were changed, I think they're perfectly fine. However, keys are still the horrendous mistake they've been for a long time and need changed; the sooner the better. And I mean that whether I'm playing killer or survivor.

• TheDankosaur
    TheDankosaur Member Posts: 7

Whenever I see a key I tunnel. The risk of them getting a few gens smashed through and then just all escaping through the hatch is just too high. I legitimately never tunnel/camp on purpose, but with a key in the game I sometimes feel as though I have to.

The tracking is fine, it's a unique item with some unique applications. The escape factor though is simply too much to ignore.

• Soulslayer618
    Soulslayer618 Member Posts: 488

I hate seein keys too but then again it really doesnt matter in the long run. the only time I feel its undeserved or should be hated is if the survivor uses them for a hatch standoff and you have no way of killing them like.... yeah you found hatch before me good job use your key have fun whatever but if I close hatch then the key just means I need to guard 3 exit gates and one of them is an instant leave

but for the majority of you to tunnel a key user to death because you hate keys? Did it make you feel better? and how often was the key a green broken key? as a whole its really not worth ruining someones game or your own to focus so hard on someone who has an item the game gave them.

aside though did we get an explanation of keys are being nerfed?

(also to the person above who doesnt understand moris were not shadow nerfed it was plainly stated and you were given time albeit a small amount to use your moris the old way)

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

I bring Plunderer's and/or Appraisal and hide the key somewhere until I need it

Also kinda makes it like a second objective with searching chests, although it's still mostly luck based it feels a little less cheap and more exciting when I have to search to find a key

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,035

You can lobby dodge but if you don't, just play normal because if they're gonna screw you up with a key, you can't really stop it.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,143

This^

I only adjust my playstyle to last second switches. Keys overall are what they are, but the last second switch is done with the intention to make the game less enjoyable for a killer so i will attempt to focus their second hook early (still no kill but at least they are prepped) and play with the rest normally. But IF they are swf and use an annoying strategy around those last second switches .... then I won't dodge but they won't get to play a normal round but with a catatonic but moving killer. I will farm points for me while avoiding giving them points. No long chases, mainly pallet brakes or generator kicks, fast hit and runs (so less chase points for them). And if they decide to throw the game I will comply to kill them.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

It's simple, if they load in with a key I instantly dodge the lobby. If they quick switch to a key, i close the application and try again. If they find a key in a chest then i tunnel them.

• Callmehandsome
    Callmehandsome Member Posts: 529

I was playing duo with friend of mine and we both survived like 20 streak with keys easily. Not much killer can do to stop it.