Why are we still trying to make MMR happen?

This literally is so awful. They’ve been testing it for an eternity at this point, and it’s still terrible. I just had a game with a rank 19 Feng who chose to do a dull totem, before picking me up. This is actual torture. Before that, I went against green rank killers who got like one down the whole game.

Comments

• Rittihilatti
    Rittihilatti Member Posts: 124

I can not confirm if it is working properly, or not, because...

Q was literally instant all day...

...and now, suddenly, it turned into a lobby simulator.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

There's simply too many variables that can change the outcome of a match for proper mmr in this game. You're just going to punish good killers by giving them the -actually good- 4 man SWFS and punish good survivors by just giving them Spirit/Slinger/Nurse matches 24/7

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015

Honestly they should just make it so that brown ranks will always go against other browns and yellows, yellows go against yellows and greens, greens go against greens and purples, and purples and reds go against each other.

I don't understand how hard it is to do that. DBD isn't a competitive game and doesn't need to be one.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

This MMR test has certainly been something.

I've played two games with Wraith (at rank 1), and both times I let the survivors farm and escape. First match someone disconnected at the start before the first chase begun (of course I felt bad). And during the second match the survivors barely put up much of a fight.

I also played survivor at rank 1. My first match was against a Ruin/Undying Nurse. Spoiler alert: Someone disconnected right at the start. Fortunately, the Nurse gave me the hatch at the end. No generators were completed. My second match was against a Devour Hope/TOTH Spirit with pink and purple add-ons. Spoiler alert again: Someone killed themselves on hook at the start of the match. The Spirit did not let up, everyone was killed pretty quickly. One generator completed during that Spirit match.

😕

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063
    edited June 2021

I think we're seeing a lot more hook suicides/DCs because that stuff is endemic at green and yellow ranks. Like one person kills themselves every match type endemic. People still do it at red ranks, but that's usually in response to a killer they don't like, because people who quit every time don't stay in red ranks. Since we're getting paired with rainbow ranks now, we're seeing more of it.

But I mean, they're still trying to make MMR work because literally everyone hates matchmaking as it is. At least they're trying to do something... and I guess this is a fresh type of awful compared to the stale one, so yay? (I've actually been having pleasant killer games today, with teams that are around my skill level; it's the survivor games that are oofy. I'm going against killers who have no business being in the same game as me, and getting teammates that are... much better matched to the killer than they are to me, let's put it that way. Still, the alternative was dying nine games out of ten because easy emblems push me into a rank I don't belong in and red rank solo queue is hell. So it's no happy medium, and I think the MMR took that death data and overcomped hard, but as far as absolute values are concerned, it's not exactly worse than before.)

• WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867

Also, every killer below purple rank runs NOED which is boringgggg

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

Interesting it's actually been the exact opposite for me. For survivor my queues were always sooo long but now they're instant.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Bones before bros.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970

hasn't every mmr test basically been a failure?

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987

I’ve had 3 rank 1 killers in a row. I’m a green rank who isn’t that good. I’m not playing until this is gone lol

• WiiFitTrainer
    WiiFitTrainer Member Posts: 788
    edited June 2021

This right here. Anyone with a lot of hours on this game can tell you there's no way for a computer to quantify if you deserve to rank up or down.

Kills/escapee don't matter when you can carry the team for 5 gens and die at the gate due to noed.

• Red_Beard
    Red_Beard Member Posts: 550

They have been much more strict with matching to rank before though and it always ends with a bunch of complaints about how long the queues are, much longer than what they can be now. Me personally, I would rather have a shorter queue and go against someone more skilled than me than wait 30 minutes plus to get into an evenly matched rank game.

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989

I was getting owned. Then started proper camping and tunneling. Won every game since, so it's clear to me how they want us to play. And I shall be obliging fully.

Message recieved and understood! "Don't hate the player....."

• WexlerWendigo

Every game right now is won in two minutes or results in facecamping

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

Because it should be possible to do a working MMR. A lot harder technical challenges were solved in the world.

It is good that they are trying, I just don't understand how can they match up complete noobs with pros... They must have some bug in their algorithm... If they take the average of survivors I think it is bad. All the survivors in a match should have roughly the same level.

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009

Weirdly I was getting instant Twins lobbies, but now I'm stuck waiting when I changed Killers.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

I actually had less people DC/suiciding on hook.

But it was weird. One game I had Survivors who knew what they were doing and the Killer was fine as well, match after I got a god Huntress who hit everytime at 1 kilometer away and teammates who crouch everywhere while I'm getting chased for as long as I can.

Next match I got a Killer close to my skill level and one teammate who seems to know how to repair a generator and two who crouch and self-care against Sloppy.

I mean, most of the time the Killers I face were close to my skill level. I don't mind if I have a very strong Killer from time to time, it's only one match and I can learn from them.

The first test we had, I always had Survivors close to my skill level. Now, it's a mix of them and ones who seem very immersed/new/scared when their Spine Chill is up for 0.1 second.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,396

I've had multiple matches today where it's 4 red rank survivors versus a gray rank killer where the killer proceeded to get under 10k points in both...

• WexlerWendigo

I’m probably not playing more until MMR ends, this is unbearable. Brown rank teammates every game.

• TheeclumsyNinja
    TheeclumsyNinja Member Posts: 283

Sooo what about people that q with different ranks? Lol you ask “why is that so hard” but clearly put 0 thought into that idea.

In your simple minded scenario i would not be able to play with any of my friends and would not be able to play with any friends i introduce to the game.

Often im qing with 3/5 color ranks.

• glitchboi
    edited June 2021

Man you're overreacting. I should have added "just leave it be for SWF." I never said "SWFs in different ranks can no longer play together."

If that doesn't cut it, what else do you have in mind?

• glitchboi

Regarding SWF: Let it work the same if the survs are different ranks.

• latinfla4
    latinfla4 Member Posts: 2,119

Make that a casual mode where it is a free for all with swf and a BP bonus for killers who play in that mode

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,111

You have to give the mmr system time to kick in. If you tell the devs to turn it off every time they turn it on because you're that selfish and impatient, we may NEVER get a good matchmaking system in this game!

• aliquis
    aliquis Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2021

The devs said that the MMR already collected data in the background for a very long time. It doesnt need time to kick in (if you play a role or killer that you already played a lot recently).

So the whole argument of giving it time to adjust is wrong. The only case where it needs time to adjust is, if you play a role (survivor or killer) that you barely played or a killer you didnt use much.

The mmr seems to work for some people, which is great, for other people, like me, it not only doesn't work, it is straight horrible. I get constantly matched with complete beginner (like real beginner, i looked at their hours as much as i could, i slugged my way through countless lobbies today, all 4ks, most games only lasting a few minutes with 5 gens up, and there is no change, i still get matched with people with 0 hours) there is no kick in or giving it time, the mmr seems to think it is perfectly fair to match me rank 1 (with my main killer that i play a lot) with 4 beginner survivor it seems.

The new mmr, for some people it works, for other people its completly broken.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,396

I'm pretty sure that they've been collecting data in the background for MMR for a while now so that when they push it to live, not everybody is starting from zero.

• WexlerWendigo

Yes, it’s totally selfish of me to not want to play with rank 20s

• Noz
    Noz Member Posts: 176

Because their current system is garbage.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,111

No, the idea that this momentary downside is too much for you, that you want the devs to cancel it, even though we've been needing a better matchmaking system for years, is selfish.