The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The Kate Rework I Want...

The Kate rework is out and the more I look at it the more I dislike it. I feel it is such a huge deviation from her original model and that it makes her look both angry and rodent-like. Because I am a die-hard Kate fan I decided to rework what I wish she would look like instead. And I thought I'd share it with you guys! 😊

(( I am not a digital artist and I did these edits with a free program called Artweaver! Please be gentle!

With my limited abilities I tried to stay close to her original concept but make her look updated and how I personally wish she would look. I would actually like her to look like 'My Kate' but about 7 years older, like she were in her mid-late twenties, but this is the best that I could do!

What do you guys think?

Comments

• ManWithALemon
    ManWithALemon Member Posts: 422

I already don't understand liking Kate, so if anyone sticks with her after this update, I'm gonna be so confused.

• Kate_Main_01
    Kate_Main_01 Member Posts: 504

It is all a matter of preference! I really like her backstory and liked her original model. Now I will stick with her for her backstory and for the paid cosmetics I've sunk money on! 😊

I agree! Which is what sparked this thread of me showing my edit that I wish she got!

• Kate_Main_01

I changed her eyebrows, eyes, nose, and lips. πŸ˜… I think that because I like Kate so much before I find her new model really disappointing.

• ManWithALemon
    ManWithALemon Member Posts: 422

I'm not a fan of her backstory or her model, personally. Backstory-wise, she's just a good-aligned Trickster, and Trickster being a sadistic psychopath is what made his backstory interesting. Model-wise... she looks like a discount version of Taylor Swift back in her country days. And I hate Taylor Swift.

• Kate_Main_01

To each their own, of course! I really liked her backstory and her fall from writing lyrics and performing music she liked to being more of a pop star with soulless top 40 songs. I liked how her sadness when she played is what lured the Entity to her like a sad siren's call. And I think her character, especially with paid cosmetics, is really pretty! But it is all a matter of opinion.

I posted my edit here to try and get people's opinion on my edit and to just share my love for Kate. 😊

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,132

I like your edit soooo much more than BHVR's new Kate. Especially the plush lips. Very nice. ❀️

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

Yeah the new BHVR Kate is not very good. In general I think the face reworks have been very hit or miss.

• Kate_Main_01

My only hope is that since they said it was a WIP and they were just testing the water with it they will see the mostly negative reactions to new Kate and will work a bit more on it.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

I don't hate the new Kate design anywhere NEAR as much as some of the people who have complained about her do (not you), in fact I don't hate her at all. But, like almost all of these redesigns, I think that the original is better. Some will say it's just familiarity, you always like the first version of something the best, etc., but I don't know, I think that there's a general "softness" and "smoothness" being applied to all of the characters that sort of nullifies some of their visual personality.

Having said all that, I like your version better than the redesign. It's a little more subtle, still has traces of what I like about old Kate (the changing of the characters' eyes are what bothers me the most, aside from Meg's red hair which they BETTER back off on).

• Kate_Main_01

I think filling out Kate's lips and her eyebrows is what made most of the difference in my edit though I did also enlarge and move her eyes a bit to get them closer to the original and I changed her nostrils and the bridge of her nose as well. I feel like the reworked version of Kate is such a big divergent from the original that she no longer looks like her old self.

I think that is the biggest problem with most of them, honestly. Aside from the fact that all of them are getting botox and getting more youthful they are also less of a graphics update and more of an entire rework. Some of them I really like! Adam, David, Jake, and Meg are pretty fantastic while I feel like Dwight and Kate are outright disappointing. The rest I'm pretty indifferent about.

But Meg's hair is a perfect example. She is going from being redhaired to a brunette which is a pretty drastic shift and makes her feel less like Meg and more like an entirely new character. It's an odd choice on the designer's part.

• Kira4Evr
    Kira4Evr Member Posts: 2,025

I really like her new model. She looks so cute in my opinion. But to be real, your version looks amazing as well! I don't care which one of them makes it into the game. I love them both!

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

i think the reason most people dont like the new models are because the character sheet is neutral with no facial animation

in game they look completely fine, at least imo

• Kate_Main_01

You're so sweet! I appreciate the compliment and I certainly wish that my version could make it into the game! Sadly, I am not on the development team and there's no chance that this will be seen by them or taken into any consideration. This was merely just me showing my fan art with the community and discussing things! 😊

• Kate_Main_01

I like your edit as well! It definitely looks better than the WIP rework we have now. I'm a big fan of Kate's eyes though which are notably larger than her rework. I hope they give her the doe-eyed songbird look again!

We can only hope. I have so much money sunk into Kate's cosmetics. πŸ˜…

• miketheratguy

Meg looks good but I cannot STAND the fact that what they've done to her so far involves removing her red hair. That's one of her most distinctive features. The concept of being a fiery redhead suits her, a competitive and strong-willed runner who loves the outdoors and staying fit. There was only one redheaded female in the game, then they go and change that for no good reason. I'll be so disappointed if they take that feature away. It would be like, to me at least, giving Felix black hair, taking away Dwight's glasses, or removing Jeff's beard. Those elements just fit the character.

Speaking of Dwight, he looks much worse after the change. He was fine before, if they want to make him look a little less frightened they can do that without changing his entire appearance. Similarly I liked Kate's eyes, they seemed somehow wise and alert and older, the eyes of someone who's been around for a while. Now, as I mentioned in another thread and you explained similarly in your post, she almost looks like a teenage girl. It's like all the characters have gone back in time and / or paid for subtle face lifts. Some of the changes are just unnecessary. They can make the characters look more "high definition" without changing their actual physical features.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

Her rework is fine nothing drastically...your edit is amazing too

Kate is still one of most prettiest characters in game with beautiful story and soul and only character that fought entity...and ppl will complain about certain reworks until they get used to it just like with new hud and animations nobody Is mentioning it anymore because they got used to it so give it a time and you'll see

• FogLurker
    FogLurker Member Posts: 337

Well hopefully since it's a work in progress, the final product looks better. I would like for the eye make-up to be darker/blacker like her current model has.

• Kate_Main_01

The unfortunate thing about Meg is that as one of the original characters she did not get a very expansive background. Sure they fleshed her out more with the Rift but even then the amount of content behind Meg is basically nothing when compared to a new character like Yun-Jin. I think it is fantastic that they do more story now! But with Meg she had a few visual cues which were arguably more important than the appearance of recent characters.

Her red hair gave her a lot of character as fiery and possibly hot-headed/strong-willed, as you said! I agree completely.

We can keep our fingers crossed for red-headed Meg and pretty songbird Kate to be the final reworks. πŸ˜…

• Kate_Main_01

Thank you, I appreciate your compliment!

I could not agree with you more about her backstory and personality - those are the reasons that I have mained her for all of these years. And because she's my main I'm obviously being very picky about wanting her to look a certain way. But you are right in that we will all get over it and move on and eventually I won't even notice Kate's new look. It's not like I spend time looking at her face in game unless I'm on the hook anyways, I suppose. πŸ˜…

• Kate_Main_01

I missed this before - thank you so much! I really appreciate your comment!

She's the songwriter/songbird character, I figured why not emphasize her character with fuller lips? 😊 Plus I really feel like her original had a more shaped mouth whereas the rework basically erased her upper lip entirely - even in the video footage of her her lips just look very thin.

• miketheratguy

So Meg DID get fleshed out in the Rift? Hmm, I don't go through the challenges with as much intensity as a lot of other players so I haven't noticed her in there yet, I was hoping that they hadn't gone into her background yet. I'll have to go see which Tome she was in.

I know that it's a small detail to some but Meg's red hair is one of the things that I find most attractive about her. Other people (such as yourself, and I understand the complaint) were really thrown by the change made to Kate's mouth, that's how I am about Meg's hair. It's like "no, it's different, and it's different for no good reason, and it's not an improvement". For me that's true of Kate's eyes and general youthful appearance. I just can't get over the fact that she seems like a teenage fashion model or something. That's not at all what I think of when I think of current Kate, who is a beautiful yet somewhat older, experienced country girl. Just going in and softening everyone's looks and altering some of their most distinctive visual characteristics is a catch-all approach that, as you've pointed out, is totally hit and miss. It doesn't work for everybody.

• A_Skinny_Legend
    A_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 919

You made her look so pretty, compared to Alabama Taylor Swift.

• Kate_Main_01

Thank you! I only see 'worse Taylor Swift' when I look at her too. And I personally do not find Taylor Swift to be pretty to begin with. 😌

My edits were very small and simple for the most part so I am (foolishly) hoping that the design team will have some of the same ideas and will rework her before release.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

I main Kate too and my first impression to new rework was "meh" now I'm getting used to it and longer I watch I realize it's not big change and that in game it will be great we will get used to it all new reworks with time like old ones never existed but yeah it's all matter of preference

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

New Kate's face just makes me think of this Christmas cartoon. The edits I've seen have been much better.

• A_Skinny_Legend
    A_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 919

It's all about the little things, it's subtle so I guess some people won't notice much of a difference.

Just view her as being less bloated in the face. She's from Alabama but moved to California so people told her that it wasn't normal to use an air pump as filler.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,014

Ah, I see... I'm pretty bad at observing things. I think you did a great job at them.

• Kate_Main_01

The reworks are being done to unite the graphic different between new Killers/Survivors and the old ones. If you take Trapper and put him beside Trickster you can really see all five years of different technology and budget. Reworks are pretty common for games like this where after time the original content needs a boost to keep up with the new.

I'm a big fan of the map and character reworks I'm just disappointed in a few of the Survivors. It's felt less like a graphic update and more like an entirely new character. πŸ˜”

• neonblush
    neonblush Member Posts: 68

These new reworks usually show A LOT of teeth for some reason but I’m thinking that once they have their animations and rigs, the teeth won’t always show as much. But other than that, I love it I think she looks so pretty <3

Kate is my main but she definitely needed a refresh, her face barely has any detail so it was too outdated.

• FeminineSlime
    FeminineSlime Member Posts: 90

Your edit is great! It's way better than what they've shown us, especially the in-game motion video. I ALSO wish she could look a bit older, to fit her original look but I really do like what you've done. If your edit was what we got, I would be happy, even if I'll miss the current Kate a lot. Good job!

• Kate_Main_01

You've got good taste in your main! 😊

I agree that she definitely needed an update! I'm just not overly thrilled with the direction they took her redesign. If they'd kept her current face and just freshened it up I think it would have been perfect. I'm curious if you think she looks like the original or not, people seem so divided on that!

• Kate_Main_01

I appreciate that so much! Now if only there were a way I could submit this to them for consideration. LOL But alas I am not so important that anyone would take note of my redesign. Still, thank you for the compliments! 😊

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
  • neonblush
    neonblush Member Posts: 68

Omg yeah I see that people are super divided on that. And it’s kind of tough I guess, because she does look a little different than her original, but I think she retains enough of her original features to clearly identify that she’s still Kate.

Here’s the way I see it - I think the new reworks had to make the characters look a bit different because some of their faces were pretty bad and unrealistic to how people actually look. For example, Dwight, Nea & Kate had some pretty low quality features (eyes, mouth, etc.) and in order to make them high quality and real, it also made their appearance change a little bit. But I think that’s to be expected since the quality was very low.

Overall though, I think she looks pretty and I’m excited to see how it actually looks in game before I fully judge it. I think they will change the animations and expressions so it may look better later.