I hook someone and see another survivor running in towards the hook for the rescue. What do I do?

When I play I try to avoid camping as much as possible. I even try to alternate which survivor I hook, get as many hooks as possible, and go away to check distant generators. But often times I see a survivor circling me like a vulture while I am carrying another survivor to the hook. They don't even give me a chance to leave the area. Should I follow them in and get them as they are unhooking the other survivor? What is the proper thing to do?

Also should I keep an eye on hooked survivors from a distance? Let them get unhooked. Then go back in to the hook when I am alerted they are unhooked. (Because there will likely be two survivors in that area)

I am just asking what the best approach is. I am interested in giving everyone a fair game and proper etiquette. When I play killer I like to think of myself as dungeon master or the host of the game I am playing. But I still want to win.

Comments

• velosinhooo
    velosinhooo Member Posts: 295

Go back to the hook, its not tunnel or camping, you are just coming back as you saw someone making a risky play and you want to punish that play.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

According to some people you should let them get the free unhook. According to common sense you should stop them

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

Personally, I would just camp at that point because you're keeping two survivors from doing generators.

If they try to rescue, attack them as they are unhooking to interrupt them and force a hook trade. 😁

• Noz
    Noz Member Posts: 176

Obviously after hooking someone you have to go into a corner for a minute to let them heal under hook and get some gen progress in. Everything else would be unfair and unfun for the survivor.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

go after em. I don't like camping either but if I see you b-lining for a hooked survivor im going to chase you

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,147

You stay put and watch that hook.

• SilentPill
    SilentPill Member Posts: 1,302

You slug them and camp the hooked survivor to half or dead.

• vladspellbinder
    vladspellbinder Member Posts: 320

I'm a Killer Main and am highly anti-tunnel anti-camp. That said if I see someone not making any attempt at stealth when I'm hooking someone else I won't give them the free unhook and will go after them. If they loop me near their teammate that's their problem. But unless the Survivor on the hook is toxic later I'll often give them one free "chase escape" because their teammate was so rude to them.

In the end you play how you want to play, I can only ask that you don't hard camp or hard tunnel, as neither are fun for the person on the receiving end. Hard camping is when you don't leave the hook at all, just standing there. Hard tunneling is when you find two people, one of whom just got unhooked and you go for the person just unhooked, not the other person right there. If you spot someone in the area of the person you just hooked and go into chase with them and they run you around the hook you're not camping. If you come back to the area someone just got unhooked in and find them alone with no one else around that's not tunneling, they just are very unlucky, have crap teammates or ran away from their teammate to go solo for some reason.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

The Dungeon Master comment is interesting. I felt that way when I started, too, and I think a lot of well-meaning killers do. It almost feels like you're part of the environment rather than a fifth player in the game, and you can feel a responsibility to facilitate a pleasant experience for the people there. It helps to remember that the game devs are actually responsible for facilitating a pleasant experience for ALL of us -- it isn't our responsibility to take over hosting duties.

That said, I think you can still try not to be toxic without going out of your way to protect the other players from their mistakes. Don't camp the hook just to ruin the game for the hooked person, but do chase someone who messes up and runs to the hook right in front of you. You don't have to pretend that you can't see them in order to be fair.

• Onykron
    Onykron Member Posts: 62

I always wonder why killers have to justify killing survivors, you never see people questioning why people do gens or unhook.

Most survivors would rather put the weight of their misplay on the killer's shoulders instead of owning up to their mistakes, a huge part of playing killer is learning how to punish dumb plays but you will never get any sympathy. So just do what you want, you can let them roam free or destroy them, just remember no survivor will ever thank you for your kindness and they will be more than happy to teabag at exit gates .

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,438

You camp. If survivors make camping or tunneling the most optimal way to play, it is on them. Play to win, don't be a scrub:

An excerpt from the book:

The derogatory term “scrub” means several different things. One definition is someone (especially a game player) who is not good at something (especially a game). By this definition, we all start out as scrubs, and there is certainly no shame in that. I mean the term differently, though. A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. A scrub does not play to win.

Now, everyone begins as a poor player—it takes time to learn a game to get to a point where you know what you’re doing. There is the mistaken notion, though, that by merely continuing to play or “learn” the game, one can become a top player. In reality, the “scrub” has many more mental obstacles to overcome than anything actually going on during the game. The scrub has lost the game even before it starts. He’s lost the game even before deciding which game to play. His problem? He does not play to win.

The scrub would take great issue with this statement for he usually believes that he is playing to win, but he is bound up by an intricate construct of fictitious rules that prevents him from ever truly competing. These made-up rules vary from game to game, of course, but their character remains constant. Let’s take a fighting game off of which I’ve made my gaming career: Street Fighter.

In Street Fighter, the scrub labels a wide variety of tactics and situations “cheap.” This “cheapness” is truly the mantra of the scrub. Performing a throw on someone is often called cheap. A throw is a special kind of move that grabs an opponent and damages him, even when the opponent is defending against all other kinds of attacks. The entire purpose of the throw is to be able to damage an opponent who sits and blocks and doesn’t attack. As far as the game is concerned, throwing is an integral part of the design—it’s meant to be there—yet the scrub has constructed his own set of principles in his mind that state he should be totally impervious to all attacks while blocking. The scrub thinks of blocking as a kind of magic shield that will protect him indefinitely. Why? Exploring the reasoning is futile since the notion is ridiculous from the start.

You will not see a classic scrub throw his opponent five times in a row. But why not? What if doing so is strategically the sequence of moves that optimizes his chances of winning? Here we’ve encountered our first clash: the scrub is only willing to play to win within his own made-up mental set of rules. These rules can be staggeringly arbitrary. If you beat a scrub by throwing projectile attacks at him, keeping your distance and preventing him from getting near you—that’s cheap. If you throw him repeatedly, that’s cheap, too. We’ve covered that one. If you block for fifty seconds doing no moves, that’s cheap. Nearly anything you do that ends up making you win is a prime candidate for being called cheap. Street Fighter was just one example; I could have picked any competitive game at all.

Doing one move or sequence over and over and over is a tactic close to my heart that often elicits the call of the scrub. This goes right to the heart of the matter: why can the scrub not defeat something so obvious and telegraphed as a single move done over and over? Is he such a poor player that he can’t counter that move? And if the move is, for whatever reason, extremely difficult to counter, then wouldn’t I be a fool for not using that move? The first step in becoming a top player is the realization that playing to win means doing whatever most increases your chances of winning. That is true by definition of playing to win. The game knows no rules of “honor” or of “cheapness.” The game only knows winning and losing.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568

I was called Trash Killer yesterday. I was playing as fair as possible, didn't tunnel anyone, didn't camp, didn't slug, didn't have annoying slowdown perks except surge which only take effect on last gen couple of times. I was playing Clown on Badham preschool. Got 4k with 32k bp in the end. Perfect game.

I don't know what etiquette should I give to not make them mad. Probably hold their hand to gens and let them escape.

• Tiller
    Tiller Member Posts: 31

As a killer you should do whatever necessary to take survivor out of the game as early as possible. The faster you kill off a survivor, the easier the rest of the game will be. Tunneling out the weakest survivor who refuse to hide themselves or camping when needed is fair game. Not sure why so many people subscribe to truetalent ideology where getting as much hooks as possible is a good way to play. You will only handicap yourself and survivors are not gonna thank you for playing that way.

• vladspellbinder
    vladspellbinder Member Posts: 320

Just want to say that the "no survivor will ever thank you" part is not right, it should be "most survivors will never thank you".

Because when I play Survivor I make sure to thank Killers for not camping or tunneling when they don't do so. I have also had Survivors do the same to me because I didn't camp or tunnel.

I had one game yesterday where the person playing Adam was so happy in after game chat because in his previous game he'd been camped by an Insidious Bubba but here I was a Fair Play "Based Blood Warden Myers" (in his words) who hadn't camped or tunneled at all all game and had him dead to rights at the end of the game. But I respected him coming back for the save on Meg who I had gotten thanks to Blood Warden. He came back for her even though Blood Warden was done so he could have dipped (both doors were open) and it was obvious I had a T3 ready to go (I'd very very obvious in my stalking of him after all) but I let him AND Meg out alive because I felt like respecting his play.

So, yeah, some people will thank you for the kindness. Beyond just giving last person Hatch, most people do thank you for that. Others will go beyond that to thank you for the smaller things.

But sadly the MAJORITY of Survivors will spit in your face for showing them kindness. And often times you won't know until it is too late to take your kindness back. (While at an open Exit Gate and they're tea-bagging more than a stereotypical British person.)

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

The most hilarious and mind-blowing thing is that killer player even ask what proper etiquette and so is and how they are "allowed" to play. That it has come this far.

I would love to see a group or even solo survivor see 3 gens pop during the first hooking and think to themselves "Boy now I have to got check for totems, loot a chest or go to the farthest generator to reduce pressure on the killer or i make it unfun for them."

The only thing you will get at best is the item drop or people walking up to hooks to ask to be sacrificed which, while the intention is good, still makes people feel like crap after getting 1-2 hooks all game.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

First, let me thank you for the playstyle you try to play. I am a solo survivor main, and camping and tunneling just because you can sucks a lot of fun out of the game. (but there are times that this is even needed, i understand that).

I do meet killers like you, that come back to the hook after the unhook, and even though i run into them (by accident) they just go around me and go for the unhooker. I consider them really good sportsmen. (although i wouldn´t hold it against any player to just down me when i run into him, especially since there are people doing it on purpose to use that bt and stuff)

I like it, because as a solo survivor, i have no control over how my teammates play. If i go for an unhook, i try a safe unhook, or, if i need to make that unhook, i will try to tank the hit. Others don´t, though.

That being said, if you see an unhooker go in, just go for him. Even if the hooked one dies, because the other guy loops you around the hook, that is in no way, shape or form your fault. A lot of survivors are just plain stupid, and/or greedy for the points.

The "keeping an eye from the distance"-thing depends on the overall situation. Its fairer, and often better gameplay, to just leave the hook and go into the next chase with someone sitting on the gen (the one unhooking left his gen anyway), but there might be teams/situations where that is a bad choise if you want to win.

But there is really bad news: while there are players like myself that really like your playstyle, there are a lot of toxic teams out there that will punish and insult you for it. A lot of people, especially if they play only one side, consider the opposition as the enemy, not their fellow gamer and playing partner, as they should. I hope they dont get to you (they did get to me in the end), and you can keep enjoying playing fair.

• sulaiman

I for one open all chests i come across, and do all totems. I personaly belive the games become more fun if they last a little longer, as long as they are still balanced. Pure genrush i only do with camping/tunneling killers. But as a solo survivor who uses aura perks to keep track of his teammates, let me tell you, often enough i am the only one doing gens anyway.

• aroell
    aroell Member Posts: 477

Let him unhook, go for the unhooker. It’s really not hard.

• TheMadCat
    TheMadCat Member Posts: 2,203

As a main Survivor, I agree. If someone run to the hook while the Killer is around, it's the Survivor's fault.

If the Killer is around the hook and doesn't move away (probably because they think someone's around), I pretend to go for the save and take the Killer into a chase. I lead them away from the hook, so someone else can go for it.

People like to say "camping" and "tunneling" when they actually create the situation themselves. I don't say real camping and tunneling never happen, but seeing a Survivor coming to the save? Of course the Killer stays. "Ah, a Survivor coming, I should go away LOL."

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

What do you do? You go and down them, thats what you do.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,180

As The Offspring sing in "Come Out And Play":

"Take him out! You gotta keep 'em separated"

If a survivor attempts a save, or runs in for a save, and you see it, it would make no sense to walk away. You defend the hook, or use that survivor as the bait to take out more survivors.

Likewise, if you hook someone and there's nobody else around it makes no sense to camp if you believe there's nobody nearby.

And kudos to you for thinking about others, whilst also looking for the best play for yourself! There aren't as many people who think that way.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn
    FrndlyChnswSalzmn Member Posts: 705

Camp. Them.

If the Survivors are disrespecting you by running in the second you hook and start walking away, you stay. That means you have two survivors occupied, not doing gens and one is dying. If they won't go away, you don't go away. Punish them for every second they spend lurking around the hook like greedy little BP vultures.

• WheresTheGate
    WheresTheGate Member Posts: 575

Exactly. Even as someone that plays survivor exclusively I believe the majority of things survivors complain about are problems of their own creation.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,956

If you want to be nice let them unhook but realistically, that survivor did something really stupid and you should go after them

• aroell

How is it stupid? Instead of camping you can find people doing gens.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn

Math.

1 Hooked, 1 circling the hook = 50% of all survivors off gens. if a second survivor comes to lurk for the save, 75% of the survivors are not doing objective and one of the three is dying. If you do this while one is already dead, that's 0 gen progress and you win.

That's why it's stupid. Simple math.

• aroell

I guess you are rank 20 then, In the red ranks if the killer is camping they will just do gens and escape.

• FrndlyChnswSalzmn

Nope. Rank 1, buddy. Have been constantly for years. But since you'd rather insult me than hear the truth, you do you.

• aroell

What truth? That you would rather camp than actually play the game?

• sulaiman

Only it is not camping, is it? Someone rushes in before you leave, you are in a chase, thats not camping at all.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

You kill them. Me, I like to time an intercept at the hook and get the grab, but you can intercept them as far from the hook as you like to try and abide by the silly Survivor's Rulebook for Killers. I see a Survivor, I kill a Survivor. I'm not going to stop and worry about the salt afterwards. The only things you have to do to be a good sport in DbD are:

1. Don't cheat, either by lag spike or hack.
    2. Don't disconnect; if you start a game, finish it.
    3. Be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.

Other than that, everything is on the table. You do you. My advice is that if you see a target, you put it down.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

The simple truth is you play how you want to play. If it is within the rules, it is fair game.

I play how I would like to verse. So if you prefer, do what you would hope your opponent would do in that situation. Although, realistically, what do you hope your opponent would do here?

I play about as "fun" as a killer can and remain competitive. But even I would not reward an unsafe hook rescue. Survivors still should play the game strategically. Not just rush in knowing the killer is right there and expect to be rewarded for bad gameplay.

This only creates the horrible play we see in Solo Q.

Do you, play within the rules and have fun. If you aren't doing those things, then change your tactics until you are.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,234

Make the best play. It's not up to to the killer to make sure that survivors don't throw the game. They have no business A: being seen there, and B: trying an unsafe save without BT. If they throw the game, it's on them. It just enables bad play when the community is afraid to win games.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

You hit them.