Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The grind isn’t compulsory.

If you don’t like grinding, that’s perfectly fine and valid.

If you think it takes a long time to achieve these lofty goals you have set yourself, yes. Yes it does take a long time.

Stop pretending it’s mandatory though. Stop complaining like you’re forced to do it.

No one perk, or any add on, or item is essential to either winning or increasing your skill in this game.

You could keep a Survivor or Killer at level 1 if you wanted to and STILL learn to play well with them.

Don’t like grinding, fine. Stop behaving like you’re forced to do so in this game.

Comments

• zombitehdeath
    zombitehdeath Member Posts: 587

I absolutely agree on this since I am trying to prestige 3 all the character and getting all the perks on them. Nearly done.

I also believe that it a huge accomplishment to do so (bigger if all the character progress was reset which happened to me)

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

Run WGLF or BBQ every game.

Bloodpoints are more of a "want" than a "need" because I have a compulsory need to prestige every character for no other reason than I can.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

Once again I agree.

I've tried to make this point to multiple people, on the forum and off, but they don't seem to get it. "I hate how much of a grind this is", they say. I point out that to "grind" is to play the game, and that they can either rush it on purpose and hate everything until they get X perk or whatever, or they can...ya know, enjoy the game.

It reminds me of the South Park episode where the characters are sweating Warcraft hard because they desperately want to level up to macro god tier levels in order to deal with another player who's annoying them. They spend weeks if not months playing to level up to the point at which they can defeat him. Once defeated, they ponder what to do next. "Now we can play the game", one of them says.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

If someone considers the game a "grind" because they're in a rush to play with a certain perk then they're the ones responsible for making the game a grind to begin with.

Since characters gain access to all of their perks with about five or six games' worth of bloodpoints, and since the characters themselves don't change regardless of their level, and since there is no ultimate "win" condition that finishes the game with an awesome cutscene followed by the words "the end", there is no grind. There's just "playing the game". The two are not mutually inclusive. The game was meant to be played over and over. That's the whole purpose. Every match is meant to be enjoyed. As such, robotically rushing through match after match to gain access to a specific perk or achievement is choosing to deliberately make the game a chore until such thing is achieved. I don't understand that logic.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

I mean, you ain't wrong.

And feeling like i need to unlock the perks via the character has surprised me in which characters I'll like or dislike - so it has it's good points.

I never thought i'd like plague or Demigorgan - but grinding them for their perks taught me I like them.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

I win most Clown games against sweat squads using Coulrophobia, Sloppy, Forced Penance, Deathbound.

Rubbish/bad perks is purely subjective.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

I know I said he's technically right, but I do believe it's starting to get unwieldy

Frankly they need to just do away with perk levels and do away with 2/3rds of the grind. That will make things reasonable for another year or two.

• TheClownIsKing

That is a complete fallacy. Sorry. I’m not criticising you personally, just this belief/myth that some players share.

It’s limited thinking, and it can potentially prevent players from bettering their skills.

I hardly ever use anything meta, and I pride myself on being pretty good at this game. This isn’t a flex. I’m not trying to show off. Simply demonstrating that the game allows it to be possible to successfully be good at the game regardless of a chosen loadout.

This isn’t to suggest that particular load outs and strategies have no merit or any bearing on a match whatsoever. They’re just not as influential on the outcomes of matches as many players invest themselves into thinking that they are.

Another way of looking at is to make do with the hand you’re dealt. I.e. try to learn to milk as much advantage from what available perks and add ons are currently available, rather than stressing about what isn’t unlocked yet. Almost all perks are nowhere near as bad as many perceive them to be, and most of that perception is borne of sheep mentality anyway. Make do with what you got. It teaches excellent skills in this game over the long run.

• TheClownIsKing

Actually that’s not a particular good comparison at all. I’m playing the same game as everybody else. There’s nothing exceptional about my version of DBD that I’m playing compared to anybody else’s, other than I’ve got better frame rate than older console users, which I was also using up until November, and I was still good at the game then as well.

• TheClownIsKing

Eye roll.

I forgot about the psychic connection you have to all of my matches...

• Dwigtht
    Dwigtht Member Posts: 462

Honestly the amount of grind is horrible. I cannot now afford buying or redeeming the killer just because of the exponential amount of grind.

I wanted to buy Nemesis. And I was prepared for the grind. I have accumulated 1,000,000 bp in my checking account and 2,000,000 in savings in 3 past rifts. And 90,000 daily's. Guess what? After spending all that bloody BP -- I did not get BBQ. Even level 1 -- just no BBQ for you.

I wanted Nemesis to make money on his own, but no. Now he has to live in HillBilly's basement and let Billy make BP. Goddam I just want to play a killer with the perks I already own.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,438
  • Avignon
    Avignon Member Posts: 133

You're point is sorta irelevant i think. Chase perks arn't really meta right now, running standart slowdown perks isn't really an impediment in you learning tiles and mindgames and "getting better". Also the way you apply pressure doesn't really change, it's just numerically more efficient with a meta build. You can be good and have a 90% winrate, chances are tho every game you've lost, you would have played exactly the same, except the extra pressure from a meta build woulda tipped it in your favour. Adding 2, 3, 5 minutes to a game is fairly significant.

I'll admit playing off - meta really throws (some) survivors for a loop. I've used some pretty meme builds for challanges and have gone on pretty dominating winstreak with them. The issue is MM... isn't really a thing tho, anything can work thill you hit that 1 squad that has 99% gen uptime...

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,951

I dont think we can just deny that psychology and skinnerbox ideas are worked into it.

If its isn't compulsory why is it designed to be completed.

• CoalTower
    CoalTower Member Posts: 1,730

What does Pernida Parkgnjas have to do with the grind? 😂

It's not ridiculous at all. They're right. The grind is not necessary. Also, this person is known for doing unorthodox builds, usually involving No Mither.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

Different types of gamers are motivated by different things. If you're motivated by wanting to collect things, and that's what makes a game fun for you, then the grind is compulsory in order to have fun -- and probably has the wrong effort/reward ratio to be satisfying.

If you want to experiment and be creative, and that's what makes the game fun for you, then the grind is compulsory in order to get new perks to experiment with -- it's really frustrating for that kind of player to have an idea for a build and not be able to try it unless they grind another 20 hours first.

When people complain about the grind (and I'm one of them), what they're saying is that the amount of grind they have to do in order to engage with the parts of the game they enjoy is too high relative to how much enjoyment they get. But, if we stopped grinding all together, there'd be even less to enjoy. :(

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709

People do not want to just use a single build or a less optimal one or a less meme one all the time even if they can win with it. Games are about fun and part of the enjoyment is switching up your build, add-ons etc. You cannot claim no restrictions are in play on the gameplay you experience by not having the add-ons or perks. The grind is mandatory if you want to be able to play the game without restrictions. The fact that one cannot play in the manner that they seek without spending thousands of hours is ridiculous by any standards. Having some grind is fine, most people don't mind it... the one in DBD however is off the charts demanding.

I am a gamer that enjoys trying out new things, having a variety in game and all that. The fact that I am unable to do any of that is a detriment to the potential the game has to offer. I want to be able to play more than one killer and I want to be able to play these killers in different manners and builds/add-ons are how you achieve this.

The grind is mandatory if you want to be able to enjoy the game to its full potential. Games are not just about the end result, it is the enjoyment of the match.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

"No one perk, or any add on, or item is essential to either winning or increasing your skill in this game"

But a wide variety of perks on at least one survivor and as many killers as possible is essential for interesting + varied builds, which is where a big part of the fun comes from for some of us

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,851

Sure the grind isn't real. I will destroy the opposition with my level 50 nemesis (that I totally not have to grind for) and the useful perks I picked up while leveling him. Let's see... we have meta staples here like hangman's trick or cruel limits, maybe blood favor and fire up will pair nicely with them? Gen regression perks or tracking perks? Haven't seen them but I'm sure they'll show up once I hit level 90 or so

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

Man I just want to have my main build on multiple different characters but it's impossible when you have 90 perks unlocked.

• NoTerrorRadius
    NoTerrorRadius Member Posts: 201

OP is spot on. 99% of this forum is complaining. Lots of crybabies here. End of the day, it's a video game. Therefore it's not important lol. Keeping a roof over your head matters, not some game. Play it how you like, as often as you like. But without the whining.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

correct. it is not necessary to advance or enjoy the game at all.

it is still insanely long for no reason.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

P3 - optional

All perks on survivors - one would do

All perks on killer - sometimes BBQ is the last to show.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Would this be like giving the finger to older players that already has been through the grind?

Here since Dec 2016, 3k hrs, and still grinding away at this mountain. I welcome removing perk tiers.

• PyroGL
    PyroGL Member Posts: 239

Playing the game isn't mandatory or "compulsory" either. Saying that you aren't forced to grind its a lofty position to take one you've already played for 100s or 1000s of hours, unlocked the majority of perks and have the experience and game knowledge to preform well when without them.

• BlindMole
    BlindMole Member Posts: 649

I'm going to disagree with you and do something i rarely do by saying you are wrong.

One of the best points about this game is killer variety, and trying different things. Some perks are better or funnier to use on different killers. It's not normal to grind for hundreds of hours just to try something on a killer. And we're not even talking about P3'ing here.

If you really think the grind is fine, especially for new players, than you don't have a good state of mind.

Just for info, how long have you been playing for?

And dude... You gotta tone down on the whole imposing you're way of thinking on to people. If it's a fact then it's a fact, but for a while now you have this "if you don't think like me you're in the wrong, no discussion possible" mentality and it's really not positive.