Why does flashlight / firecracker timing have to be so precise?

aarongai
aarongai Member Posts: 155

I can understand it being necessary back when the killer's pick up time was almost 5 seconds long, but now? It's only 3 seconds to pick someone up and that isn't much time to get into position.

There are many moments where survivors are in position for a save, but miss it because their timing was a few milliseconds too early or late. It's silly how exact survivors have to be.

How it works currently: The killer must be blinded at the moment they complete the pickup animation

How it should work: If the killer is suffering blindness when completing the pickup animation, they drop the survivor

Comments

• aarongai

What, and you think flashlights in their current state are a good idea? Why's it matter if a killer is blinded 0.25 seconds earlier than their pick-up animation ends? They're still blinded. It makes no sense not to force a drop.

Plus, any killer worth their salt faces a wall every time they pick up a survivor anyways, so blinding them is out of the question 90% of the time. And if a killer doesn't like being blinded, Lightborn and Franklin's Demise exist.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

The game SHOULD do a better job at teaching survivors the timing on flashlight saves. This is something that should be covered in an Advanced path on the tutorial.

That being said: It should not, and will not be made easier. If you want to know why, look no further than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98e-Y4Lu8w

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

Keep in mind flashlights can have addons that can allow the killer to be blinded longer. Your math is off, so yeah. Right now they're fine.

If you're on ps4, I will gladly teach you how to flash light save, it's not difficult at all, I promise you.

You start the blind when they have the survivor half way up their torso, when you finish is when they drop the survivor.

• aarongai

This doesn't prove anything. The video's from 4 years ago, insta-blinds are still a thing, he never picked up a single survivor, and Mathieu isn't even trying to evade the blinds.

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

If flashlight blinds were easier, like they were in that video, survivors wouldn't even save them for rescues. They can use them very effectively to prolong chases forever. As you saw in that video.

But the point of me linking that, other than the amusement factor, is that the Devs saw, first-hand, how horrible popping off super easy flashlight blinds at will was. They're not going to go back to those days, so you'd better just practice the timing on your blind attempts instead.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

They tried something similar to this and guess what? No killers could get a hook before 12 seconds plus both batteries plus 3 survivors meant you're #########. They even made it so you could flashlight from the beginning of the pick up and it was totally awful. I still get flashlighted as a Rank 1 and they miss most of the times but when they don't, it's infuriating. You just lost an entire survivor plus a chase for 2 seconds of a flashlight.

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378

Maybe actually play killer?

• aarongai

This discussion is solely about rescues, not chases. The only time it's easy to blind a killer is when they're vaulting or breaking a pallet because they literally cannot look away. Any decent killer will evade your flashlight attempts otherwise. And the time to blind can no longer be modified by add-ons like it could be years ago, so killers have plenty of time to react now.

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

The killer is still stuck in a pick-up animation. If you flashlight them as the body is past the shoulder, you will always blind them as soon as they try to look up. It isn't difficult. What's difficult is not being found before doing it. No one should get an easy flashlight save pass just because they want one. You earn it just like the killer earned his down.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Because flashlight saves are so strong, if you get one it can waste so much of the killers time and possibly even change matches. It encourages skillful gameplay instead of rewarding people for nothing, there should be more of that in this game.

• aroell
    aroell Member Posts: 477

Exactly! And the fact that latency plays a big role in this makes it completely killer sided. So even if survivors get the timing right, it might not even drop the carried survivor, which has happened a lot to me.

• CoalTower
    CoalTower Member Posts: 1,730

Get good instead of wanting the game to carry you. Flashlight saving isn't hard at all.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,153

Pls, to the point of looking at a wall. Did you know that survivor can still blind killer from outside their field of view? The tactic to look at a wall also got a unnecessary counter. Flashlight save are the one thing outside of looping that takes any skill, so just us killer have to get better at pressuring gens/looping/mind gaming /whatever, get better at flashlighting.

• DwarvenTavern

There's also been cases where that doesn't seem to matter/happen.

I can't even begin to tell you how I've been blinded with 95% of my face covered by a tree. Not every killer has the luxury of downing a survivor next to a wall to prevent a blind as well. Caldwell and MacMillan are two good examples off the top of my head

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

I am learning flashlight timing myself lately and its very difficult to get.

However I dont want it make easier, some things need to require skill or experience otherwise they would be too easy to do for the big value they can provide, like denying hook

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

Because while it might not seem like it from a survivor perspective. Time is EVERYTHING for killer. I've had games where I got a flashbang save recently that snowballed a potential loss into at least a 3 man escape.

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075

One single flashlight save can be game changing. Actually it's game changing more often than not

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I play this game for over 2 years and I only success blind saving twice. The blind save is so hard that if I play killer and someone actually blind save their team mate twice in a match, Im more impressed than being mad.

• Schardon
    Schardon Member Posts: 177

As someone who messes up almost every flash light save he's trying to do I say it's fine the way it is and should not be made easier. It's ok to have certain game mechanics which are not accessible to absolutely every casual player in existence.

I mean while we're at it we could also double the amount of available pallets and windows so every casual who can't be asked to remember the map layouts has an easier time to get from one loop to another loop without getting hit/downed because it's too hard to remember the RNG tile spawns and which pallets already got dropped/destroyed on the fly.

Multiplayer games need room for self-improvement. If a game is so simple that everybody can pull off absolutely everything the game has to offer immediately, the game becomes very stale and boring.

• 1miko
    1miko Member Posts: 268

You're either completely new to the game, refuse to play killer past green ranks or this is one great example of what a bait is.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Well since you can re-blind Killers while they're blinded i say no thank you, it'll just make it easy asf again.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,581

Patch 1.9.2 would like to have a word with you.

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

I prefer flashbangs now no more wasted items

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

Flashlights are easy, crackers etc. Is easier if you know the timing as you dont need to be as accurate aiming wise (just cant do it over objects as much)

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

A survivor worth their salt, has no problem in timing it right.

Making the blinding window longer just repeates Howling Grounds event.

Which was a nightmare for killers.

• En3ermost
    En3ermost Member Posts: 298

LOL

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

This would be a terrible thing to do. They did it a few years ago and it only lasted 2 days because of how easy it was.

It's very precise but that's the risk/reward aspect of it. You can spend the whole game following survivors around, yet never get a proper opportunity to use it. You need to know the right time to go for them and make sure when you do that you get it.

• Rullisi
    Rullisi Member Posts: 392

I have wondered this too and I've been so mad about the system like that makes no sense at all, how am I supposed to blind someone if it's like this it's so #########? I've heard it's been even more atrocious being the way I would have expected from it and that's why it has to be like how it is now. You just have to learn it and it's fair.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

Because blinding use to be too easy. For the powerful affect of canceling a hook state. If you're very familiar you'll know the timings.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,581
  • Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709

It should be easy in one action:

• Stun the killer
    • Recover a health state
    • Deny a hook state

Yeah... no... it is difficult, because the reward for achieving this is really good.

• Rittihilatti
    Rittihilatti Member Posts: 124

Once you have learned the timing, it is actually pretty easy....from that point, its only upon you.

That is the reason why the devs are consistently changing the "window' you need to catch for a succesful blind.

I mean, thats what i noticed.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

There's a lot of ways to save frim the killer's grasp and they have to be some combination of difficult, situational or counterable because it can be completely game changing. Practice flashlight timing in kyf and also play some killer to gain some empathy for the other side, both will make you a better player and understand the game more.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

The same with pallet saves. If you drop it a bit early while still in animation the killer won't drop the survivor.

"BHVR logic"

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

Why can't the killers be more careful?

Especially the pallet save doesn't make sense. If you do it while killer is still in animation it will not work. I guess the flashlight works the same, if the blind happens while killer is still in animation, it will not work.

They should find some other way to make it harder, but not with this weird timing which does not make sense.

• HP150
    HP150 Member Posts: 455
    edited June 2021

Meh. It does just seems kinda goofy. I'll be walking around with a survivor on my shoulder, completely blinded and no clue where I'm going, and still not drop the survivor. I don't really feel like I outplayed the survivor when they miss-time a flashlight save or pallet drop; I feel like I should have checked my surrounding better but just got lucky.

It also makes the concept of flashlight / pallet saves difficult to explain to new players. I would be okay with removing the timing so long as there are compensation killer buffs / survivor nerfs to balance it out. Perhaps make flashlights realistically carry only enough charges to get 1 blind per match (even with add-ons)? Maybe a much lower stun duration when a survivor is saved through a pallet drop?

• DwarvenTavern

This feels a lot more like satire, but yeah. It was a nightmare back then.