The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Remove the ability for killers to see survivor items?

megburnsred
megburnsred Member Posts: 9
edited June 2021 in General Discussions

Just a thought i’d post to see what others opinions are on the matter. I’m always wondering how much different the games would be if the killers weren’t able to see the items of which survivors bring in. We aren’t able to see anything of what they bring, and soon we may not be able to see the mori’s. (As far as i’m aware, you can correct me if i’m wrong)

It’s disheartening to play the game knowing your going to be tunnelled and camped because one person decided they wanted to bring in a key. I usually hate using this word, but they all cause a “try hard” attitude with most killers, or they play super salty. We can’t see a Mikey’s Tombstone, or anything else that could change the face of the game for us. We don’t even know which killer it is to properly prepare. So I don’t see why killers get the advantage to build against items brought in.

This is just my personal opinion, and I would love to hear your input as well!

Comments

• megburnsred

haha, yeah - I was slightly expecting it to come from some for sure. Thank you for your input though I appreciate!

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,837

Well if anything I'd like the killers to just not see the names of the players. It really only helps those players who want to preemptively harass other players.

• Zokenay
    Zokenay Member Posts: 1,158

I think its fair tbh.

Besides its up to the survivors to figure out what the killer is using, for example Tombstone, if the Myers is taking way too long to reach T3, i probably means he has it, also a little fact about it, you can actually tell by looking at his hand (the left one), if the hand is open, it means he can Mori you, if its closed, its just regular T3.

• GrimmGaliard
    GrimmGaliard Member Posts: 258

You have no clue how many times my female friends have been sent a message before the match from the killer saying that they'll spare them. It drives me mad.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

Well killer's has counter to every item in game except key (maybe Franklin's helps there) so idk how that would work until some things change I don't see it as good idea if keys gets nerfedi would be up that idea if that would make ppl happy because I really don't rely on make my builds based on items in my opinion that's waste of perk slots for example lightborn, Franklin's etc

• th3

Yeah I just think blocking the names similar to a streamer mode will only benefit everyone in general. Players don't have to worry about people targeting them specifically since they cannot track names. Just really no good reason to not do this.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 956

The names actually helps me to identify possible SWFs and prepare for it, since some SWF squads name themselves similarly. It's not on every match, but it happens, so it needs to stay. It can also help you to recognize players you've played against before and adapt to their playstile and perks. The killer might also want to dodge someone he doesn't want to play against again, and honestly I think that's valid.

• th3

The survivor doesn't get that option against a killer. That makes it inherently unfair especially when there are players who intentionally go out of their way with a list of names to play matches to ruin it for that player. It's an archaic design choice and needs to change.

• Malkhrim

With all the due respect, I must say this is a terrible idea. The items may impact on what perks the killer wants to bring to the game, and wether they want to dodge it. Some of them might turn out to be useless if the survivors bring or don't bring certain items. Examples: Lightborn is useless in a game with no flashlights, and you might want to pick it against a 4 Flashlights squad. Hoarder might never come to effect if all survivors bring items and you don't have Franklin's Demise. Hex Perks might go off too soon if a survivor has a map. A lot of medkits may affect if you want to bring anti-healing perks, and of course, Franklin's Demise might do little or even nothing if survivors don't bring any items. Many toolboxes also indicate the gems might go faster in the beginning or end of the match. And then there's THIS: You want to know if suvivors have a key to prepare for it, dodge it, or pick Franklin's Demise to at least stop a survivor from opening the hatch mid-chase after being hit (unfortunately, that's all Franklin's Demise can do against a key now. Just a little, but it's something).

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you decide to bring a key to the match, you must be prepared to face tunneling or even camping. Keys have no real counter, even less than before now that Franklin's Demise was changed, so it's fair that the killer knows you have it and might target you to prevent it from being used. Bringing it is your choice, so make it at your own risk.

• megburnsred

it was just a question I thought i’d ask to get others opinions… I personally never bring keys, so i’m not included in this.

• Malkhrim

Survivors don't get that choice because they would be able to guess what killer they would be going against if that was the case. Survivors also don't have to deal with SWF squads. But they can see their team mates names and choose not to play with someone who is ruining their games, so it goes for both sides. Removing it would just take it away from the killer.

I never knew about any killer who makes lists of names of survivors to target and I don't think it's a common or even easy thing to do, considering the number of survivors is much bigger than killers and you usually go against different survivors everytime. Disabling crossplay might reduce the numbers, but that makes the lobby waiting time longer, and I believe most players don't want that, even the toxic ones. If someone does keep a list of names and manages to ruin multiple games for someone on purpose, that is a bannable offense, so report it and this player won't last long.

• Malkhrim

That's fine. Sorry if I sounded harsh or something, I just thought it was the best way of telling this.

• Wulfasger
    Wulfasger Member Posts: 67

What about completely remove the killers from the game? That sounds like a more valid option.

• bsloth87
    bsloth87 Member Posts: 35

Awhile back I was playing with a buddy of mine. He plays on Xbox, and I play on PS5, but we were set up right next to each other, so we were basically a 2 man SWF able to communicate. I ran a trapper ragged, and lost him. About a minute goes by, and my buddy gets a message across his Xbox saying that he will let him go as long as he he sells out Meg any chance he gets. The killer ended up disconnecting from that match, but it made certain things that happened in the past clear. Survivors spamming the repair button to blow generators, diving in/out of lockers, and vaulting over ledges while you’re fixing a generator. In the 4 years I’ve played this on a PlayStation nobody has ever messaged me like that, and since cross platform went live I probably get face camped by every in network killer I play against. Lol

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Let's not pretend the killer isn't going to tunnel the key no matter what. I really hope they redesign them soon. I'd like to use the aura reading.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

I may be in the minority on this but I would like to know as little as possible going into each match. I just think that it would be more unpredictable and therefore fun that way. I haven't given it enough thought to entertain how this could affect balance though.

I do know that it's lame for survivors to run up the timer just to quickly swap out their item at the last second. I have better things to do in life than spend minutes sitting there waiting to play a game just because one of the other participants wants to ######### around.

• Gaffy
    Gaffy Member Posts: 222

Your trying REALLY hard to be sluzzy's failed successor aren't you?

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I think it's indeed a balancing decision that the killer can see items to prepare themself.

And as long as keys are around this shouldn't change.

Also seems that the entire reason for this post related to how killers react to keys. Wouldn't it be better to tone down keys then instead of hiding it from the killer

Personally if someone brings a key i dodge. Even when playing survivor. At least as survivor i can ask them to remove it before i go. But I'm not playing a game that will suddenly end prematurelly

• megburnsred

Its not just keys. That was just the example used as it is the most problematic item, and rightfully so. I’d rather not have them at all, unless its by chance and luck and found in a chest or something. I see a lot of killers get upset over any item honestly, thats why the thought cloud came up about not seeing the items, and wanting to get others opinions on it.

i try dodge as a survivor as well once it comes to keys, and fear the one person whose gonna do the last minute change.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Well once keys are gone i wouldn't mind not seeing items anymore.

Would be a bit of a unneccecary nerf to lightborn but i guess survivors aren't sure of their calm spirit value too when they equip it so seems fair

• MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053

"remove the ability to counterplay"

• megburnsred

Its a question not a statement. I apologize my edit is being approved 🙃

• CoalTower
    CoalTower Member Posts: 1,730

No. Killers can see them now for a reason. You need to be able to see items so you have a chance to prepare for keys, medkits, and flashlights. They can tell a lot about how the survivors are going to play. Killers are underpowered as is, and this is just another nerf to them.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Here's a better idea, just get rid of keys like what was promised.

Seriously, that would be a much better idea. Killers should see maps so they know it's dangerous to bring Hex perks, medkits to know they can't juggle, toolboxes to know the games going to go quicker, and flashlights to know people are going to get aggressive. Keys, though, are the biggest FU left in the game so of course people are going to get pissed. I haven't played Killer in 2 days because every other trial was a key for nearly a week.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,307

Items is something that should be visible, so no thanks. It's not just killers that can dodge, if you see someone with a key that doesn't switch to it last second you can look for a new lobby as well if you feel their presence ruins matches for you.

Names should however not be shown until after the match.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,046

Names and profiles should be hidden. Killers should not be able to cherrypick their Lobbies because of potential SWFs or because someone has more than 12 hours in DBD.

But Items should be visible.