Thoughts on Trickster?

Is there really a reason to play him when Huntress exists? I decided to try him out today (only got him for his perks and haven’t touched him since) and he is kinda butt.

Not really sure how they should buff him but if he is overturned, he can become OP. His power atm seems only reliable in open maps and that’s it, at that point might as well M1 the survivor. I didn’t really like him at first (Look-wise) but he ended up growing on me. I really enjoy his laugh and his weapon quite a lot. The music is great as well.

I probably won’t play him anymore any time soon but he should definitely be looked at, maybe I am not playing him well.

Comments

• WiiFitTrainer
    WiiFitTrainer Member Posts: 788

I tried to pick him again the other day, and yeah. I feel like I'm playing huntress in slow motion.

• BabyCameron10
    BabyCameron10 Member Posts: 950
  • VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009
    edited June 2021

I love his lore, personality, looks, and most of his gameplay. I do pretty well with him given his reputation, but I do struggle on large maps due to his slow speed and slower down time if things drag out as well as maps with lots of tall obstacles like the Corn maps. Those haybales and equipment eat your blades.

Post edited by VexTheHex on
  • DrJohn
    DrJohn Member Posts: 223

He's weak, but nowhere near the worst killer. That still goes to clown and legion. I've played him a lot since his release and think he could use some buffs but I'm not sure what they'd be besides letting you hold Main event and be able to stop throwing blades in main event. But even then he needs more. But he can still down even the most experienced survivors on any loop, it's just going to take you ages

• VexTheHex
    VexTheHex Member Posts: 1,009

Ya Main Event feels like a trap. There's times I use it to shred a player or two, but it's more common for me to use it since it's up... and it makes the chase worse cause they found something tall to hide behind as I pelt this tall object with enough blades it should look like a cactus.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

A killer with amazing potential, but probably will never be reworked or given the right changes to become a good killer.

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,587
    edited June 2021

Nope.

Clown and legion can still do better than Trickster...

Trickster is still F tier,

Clown is very high B tier,

Legion is Somewhat Mid-tier.

Trickster is on a tier of "Don't play this killer"

• WiiFitTrainer

100% disagree. Clown and legion are leagues better than trickster even at high ranks. Trickster struggles at every thing killer related.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,015
    edited June 2021

I love Trickster and find him to be fun and underrated (gameplay wise) as hell, and I don't think he's the worst killer, but Clown is no way in hell the worst killer. Legion maybe, but Clown heck no.

Clown can counter W meta and easily shut down most loops (INCLUDING shack).

• glitchboi

Despite being trash tier, Tricky is unironically one of my favorite killers to play as, I love his gameplay.

It's a pain to play as him if you're in a tough loop or in a map he's bad in, like most indoor maps, but other than that he's actually fun.

He needs buffs to his base-kit and main event, like being able to carry main event and making Melodious Murder base-kit (while reworking that add-on at the same time). I don't think making those two changes will make him OP.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,891
    edited June 2021

Just behind Legion as worst killer in the game.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

To sum him up, Bad but hot.

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,213

Low tier, but not nearly as bad as people make him out to be.

• Gamergirl69OWO
    Gamergirl69OWO Member Posts: 73

He's on the same level as Nemesis for me. Just a boring and weaker version of a better killer who has to work to do what the other killer does naturally.

• DrJohn

Legion is just an m1 killer with a free first hit. And he has a normal terror radius. All you need to do to counter clown is drop the pallet early and 90% of the time he can't do anything about it. Trickster at the very least will eventually down you with his power. Usually faster than legion or clown.

• Babawizwiz
    Babawizwiz Member Posts: 347

The only reason to 'play' him is to listen to his lobby music, by far imo the best from all the killers.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568

I can't think of any of his strong sides compared to Huntress.

He probably has more ammo. With 60 knives you can ideally take 7.5 health states, when Huntress can only take 5. But if you focus on accuracy you will waste a lot of time as Trickster. You will miss half of your knives if you try to play effectively, so you get about 3-4 health states, which is basically same as casual Huntress.

He feels faster than Huntress, but his power doesn't make much pressure compared to her.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,090

He's garbage. Any other ranged killer is better. And if you believe he's the worst in the game like I do, any other killer is better.

• Slickstyles
    Slickstyles Member Posts: 446

You play him for style points. I personally think he's the worst killer in the game.

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

Out of all the range killers hes the weakest only reason to play him is for the perk "no way out" and then you might as well go back to huntress or deathslinger.

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651
    edited June 2021

Trickster does not need a buff. He need a redesign. He need something of his own that Huntress or Deathslinger can't just straight up do better. Something unique to his base power and not tied to add-ons.

In his current form he will forever be a worse Huntress, unless he recieve some massive numbers buff. Then he would just be better Huntress and that would displace the problem instead of solving anything.

• PyroDude
    PyroDude Member Posts: 454

He is super weak but somehow fun.

And I really like his personality

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

He is weak, needs buffs and the only place where he is at least decent / good is open loops / dead zones where he can just storm you with his blades, but other than that he is weak and slow. But I still like to play him sometimes

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Meh, I like playing him. For...some reason. He's a killer with a projectile and that's good enough for me. He's not bottom tier but he's not great.

• xerav
    xerav Member Posts: 392

100% Agree he is very dull for a Killer with the name "Trickster".

• Unifall
    Unifall Member Posts: 747

He's just there to draw in kpop fans.

• drpynz
    drpynz Member Posts: 247

I have played him over 200 hours, got adept before he was buffed and lost 8 ranks getting that adept. With that said, he needs work. You also have to learn how to use him to his strengths. Get people out in the open, hit people a lot when they are locked in animation especially at unhooks. He is devastating with Cut thru you single and unhooks. Other than those circumstances he is not very good. Something needs to happen where he can add the mangled status effect once you injure someone or something because the laceration goes away way too quickly and sucks in instances when you can down the survivor and have to break off which is often since he is 110%

• Damarus
    Damarus Member Posts: 600

I don't really see how someone can consider Clown as being weak, or even weaker than Trickster. Weaker than the no skill requirement Spirit? Totally. But when you have the ability to spam (and no killer should ever be able to spam) bottles that slow down movement and impair the vision... Well, that isn't weak. If you are out in the open, he will catch you. If you pre-drop pallets, you'll run out fast.

• Haddix
    Haddix Member Posts: 1,045

I actually think he's really fun and not as bad as people are saying. Popular opinion rules all, though.

• xerav

Well you get max 4-5 blades on survivor stuck in animations. Which is one health state on most other ranged killers (huntress, ph nemesis, plague).

And most of em arent 4.4m/s (most 4.6m/s stop chasing at certain loops its impossible for 4.4m/s killer).

Also his aim changes between left and right side which is a nightmare to control (for the reward you get).

And he cant stealth cuz he has a 40m lullaby telling everyone that he is coming.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,846

If the devs don't plan on buffing him the least they could do is rename him to "the joke" because that's what he is

• xerav
    edited June 2021

He needs a rework (his power needs a gimmick worth the name "trickster" his Trick Blade addon (Knives ricochet) should be base also adjust the angles they ricochet cuz they seem ultra random + remove the different hitzones depending on left hand / right hand.

• VonCrow
    VonCrow Member Posts: 389

He is super cool, and I enjoy the chase music and the laughs. However, even if I'm having success with him (corrupt, pop, agitation, starstruck), he is weak as hell.

Should definetly be a 115m/s killer.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

BWAHAHA.

By all means drop those pallets.

Give me all your pallets.

Survivors doing this are the easiest wins in the game.

• TheBigGoo
    TheBigGoo Member Posts: 38

There are several things they need to rework him. Some are optional, but heres my idea.

1. (Optional) Give him 20 more knives base kit.

2. (Optional) Remove recoil spread and make the knives more consistant.

3. Make USB base kit or make his laceration meter only require 6 knives. If they make it just 6 knives then rework USB into something else.

4. Make it to where he can hold his ult. By far he needs this the most, because he rarely gets to use his Main Event in any meaningful way.

• TheBigGoo
    TheBigGoo Member Posts: 38

No I know. I misworded, I meant make USB base kit and still keep usb as is or make it 6 knives and rework usb to something else instead of giving him an addon that further decreases the meter. I disagree with the knives though, I would prefer more knives simply for the fact that it would give him more breathing room. I should rework my recoil statement into more of a thing about his knife spread which I think is more atrocious, I never feel like they go where I want or even where I think which is more maddening.

• glitchboi

You can use predrop to your advantage. It wastes pallets pretty well. Also, Clown can play around predropped pallets if you know how to do so.

• DrJohn

If the team is half way competent they'll finish the gens in the time it takes you to break pallets.

• Friendly_Blendette
    Friendly_Blendette Member Posts: 2,923

I more or less mained him for a month after his release and my 1 tip always use a purple addon (except cufflinks) and throw rate or the usb. Throw rate and usb together is probably stronger but trickster is really standard without but almost always you should run one of them so he doesnt feel as painfully weak. He like doesnt do anything cool or special unless you run a purple addon. The one build that I do recommend people try is lery or hawkins with bouncing and piercing some spots you can hit survivors 3 times with 1 knife and its really fun but since you will be throwing knives constatnly because they more or less always hit something with ricochet and you have no extra knife addons I recommend Iron Maiden.

• WiiFitTrainer

Unless you're playing on the new Game map, you don't need to break every pallet, just the good ones.

Especially as Clown who can force pallet drops faster. Staying at unsafe pallets just results in faster hits for clown.

• DrJohn