Cosmetic Glitch (Why can't we mix and match?)

Options
shadowwings8810
shadowwings8810 Member Posts: 28
edited August 2021 in General Discussions

A convenient button that allows us to switch between survivor and killer? No more.

Ability to choose a killer based on the swf we load in against? Forget it.

The ability to mix and match outfits regardless of how dorky it looks? History.

I just wanna know what the reasoning is behind all these changes. Things that made the game convenient or fun are just being taken away. I've played this game for about 3 years now and I watched things come and go.

Many of us were very upset to find out when they started making some cosmetics locked sets and when there was a way to mix them up, many of us wanted to try it out. My friends would tease me about it, others would complement me or join me in mixing the sets, and honestly it made me feel unique to know this secret cosmetic changer. However, after yesterday, they finally fixed the cosmetic glitch (again) and I honestly cried knowing that my bunny legion was being taken from me. Same goes for my gothic Cheryl and colorful Nea. And it hurt even more knowing they hadn't even fixed the frame drops.

Is there a reason they fixed it?

Post edited by shadowwings8810 on

Comments

• shadowwings8810
    Options

hmm okay. I can understand the licensing is a touchy subject. I'm curious though, for the survivor face updates, if Quentin's face will be updated too because i know that has been an issue with the community and with the a nightmare on elm street license.

• Itooshie
    Itooshie Member Posts: 174
    Options

God that Nea head is so ugly without a hood.🤢🤢🤮

And the hood just looks Janky with her other hairs.

• SasukeKun
    SasukeKun Member Posts: 1,858
    Options
  • Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,514
    Options

Yeah that Nea outfit is the prime example why sets for original character can definitely make sense! It looks cool in the set and is as such pretty often bought/used. And mix and matching just doesn’t work for it

• shadowwings8810
    Options
  • Itooshie
    Options

> Smooth head Nea.

> Missing torso.

"WHY DID THEY MAKE IT A LINKED SET"

If you were to say Janes head, or Kates floral crown I would totally agree wjth you.

Even weapons from killer sets are a bit of a grey area.

But at the end if the day, they are not going to budge on this as is evident with the mass complaints and threads getting ignored.

• shadowwings8810
    Options

Well it sounds like jane and kate were your mains while mine is nea. But I already figured they weren't going to change it. Just gonna pay some respects to the glitch.

Thank you all for lending an ear, just needed to get that off my chest. Hopefully, all of the other issues can be resolved.

Now excuse me while I go contemplate my life in the shower.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,087
    Options

Would i like to use legion's mascot head separately? yes.

Can I? no.

"moves on with my life"

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,063
    Options

Because the idea between a set was that they could do more interesting cosmetics that would otherwise look weird when split up and matched with other cosmetics. Licensed sets might exist, because license holders don't want to allow mix and matching parts of a cosmetic.

I honestly don't really get the outrage over this. If you want to mix and match, just use cosmetics that allow you to do that.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719
    Options

BHVR is legally obligated to represent the licensed characters in whatever way they're told to by the people who hold the rights to those characters. Meanwhile, the cosmetic glitch was just that - a glitch.

The licensed character issue is very serious and could get the company sued if they aren't careful about it. They more than likely implemented a system that not only prevents the licensed characters from having any unintended alterations made to them, but a universal catch-all system that prevents ALL character models from having any unintended alterations made to them. This would, presumably, be easier than having to alter the code for each and every individual character and cosmetic in the game.

Regardless of their reasoning, this was a glitch, everyone KNEW it was a glitch, so everyone should have known that it was likely to get patched out eventually. It's BHVR's right to do this, for any reason, at any time. Is it disappointing as a player? I didn't use the glitch but sure, it seemed like fun. Does it LOOK like BHVR just deliberately ignored all the serious performance issues just to take away something that people liked instead? Yes, I can see how people would look at it that way. Does that mean that this is the case, that the company would rather take things away that are harmless to the player rather than work on fixing more serious issues that negatively impact the player's experience? No. That is an assumption, and one that's based largely on the entitlement that people feel toward the glitch that was never meant to be taken advantage of in the first place.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,790
    Options

For the licensed stuff, we're screwed unless someone here has an in with Konami and Capcom to find out #########.

For the original character stuff, DbD should unlink some of the sets (Yun-Jin's) and alter others to be two linked pieces with one unlinked piece. That would make people happy.

The really stupid thing here is that the people who actually buy the linked sets are DbD's whales, and the whales are who you want to keep happy because they're the big money. DbD patched the cosmetics glitch without even addressing the reason so many people were using it in the first place. They didn't meet their customers halfway, they didn't learn anything about what their customers value. I can only hope that they see a huge drop in sales and maybe then they'll reconsider making so many three-piece linked sets.

That Jill is two new pieces plus her default head shows the immediate need for two-piece linked sets. Seriously, they're charging the full three-piece-set price for something that's only two pieces, and by being three pieces it takes away the player's ability to show off any prestige cosmetics. Players can't put the P3 head, which is just her default head with a little blood on it, on the old-school body and they have to pay for all three pieces just to not have this option. Paying for the default head for the explicit purpose of not having the option of equipping the exact same head but bloody. Let that sink in.

• MonsterInMyMind
    MonsterInMyMind Member Posts: 2,744
    Options

I never understood why Behavior went out of their way to fix it for every character instead of fixing it just for licensed characters.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,063
    Options

Because the system is likely the same for both original and licensed characters. Whatever the glitch was that they fix was impacting both and fixing it would fix both.

• Itooshie
    Options

Im actually just a Jane main. Kates are... an interesting breed.

But Nea has a million better cosmetics that dont give a smooth head or missing limbs

• shadowwings8810
    Options

Ok guys i got it XD thank you. Licensed and legal issues is what pushed them to fix the bug. Which actually makes more sense that they did that first and not any of the other bugs. I wasn't quite understanding that. And if they fixed it, of course it was probably going to fix their original characters too.

Also @Itooshie i don't get a lot of kates. Now David mains (in my opinion) are a different breed. They give no shits and have done the most unnecessary stuff that I have seen that GUARANTEED only gets them killed. And honestly, it's the funniest to watch.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719
    Options

Who's to say that they went out of their way to do it? Maybe it was a far easier, more cost-effective fix. Maybe in order to separate the licensed characters from the unlicensed ones they would have had to do much more work and thus prolong the fixes on more important things.