What TYPE of killers would you want next? Are you tired of ranged killers?

Pilot
Pilot Member Posts: 1,158
edited February 2023 in General Discussions
Please keep the discussion on topic and don't say that x killer that I mentioned is not a ranged type or is a hybrid or whatever the heck... They have a ranged attack so that's all that matters & they can kill you with it... This in regard's to Tofu's latest video.

For Context, in chronological order, from top to bottom

I've put the killers that don't have a ranged attack in Bold.

• Nemesis - Has a ranged ability. He's an interesting mix of a few / couple ranged killers.
  • Trickster - Another Ranged killer
  • Twins - A hybrid, Victor can lunger over windows, pallets, you name it.
  • Blight
  • Pyramid Head - Ranged type killer. Wiki says map-manipulation... He has a ranged attack, that's all that counts.
  • Deathslinger - Ranged type killer.
  • Oni
  • Demogorgon - Hybrid. Has a ranged attack.
  • Plague - Has a ranged attack.

Before Plague 6 other killers were released that did not have a ranged attack. Before those, it was Doctor.

For me, Once PH & DS got released one after the other, the state of DBD was quite unhealthy, especially with how PH was back in the day.

-----------

Now, let's get onto the subject, after taking all of those previous killers into consideration.
  • Are u tired of BHVR releasing ranged killers or killers that are some sort of hybrid with a ranged attack?
  • Would you want to see more Trap type killers?
  • Would you want to see more movement-type killers, such as Oni, Blight & Billy, to name a few?
  • Would you want to see more basic type killers?
  • Would you want to see more stealth-type killers?
  • Would you want to see a hybrid of those combinations?
  • Would you like to see a new type that hasn't been yet discovered / discussed ?
  • What about a killer similar to Pig with game slowdown potential like her traps?
  • What about insta down killers?
  • Or perhaps an AI-assisted Killer?
  • Would you want to see a jack of all trades? Except for Ranged? Or with range?

As I've mentioned above, please keep the discussion on topic...

Edit: + avoid discussion killers that need desperate reworks or whatever.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• BingBongMan
    BingBongMan Member Posts: 631

Mobility is a massive game changer for the killers that have it.

There are some who have diet mobility, which is to say a teleportation ability like freddy or demogorgon.

I would prefer that they make another mobility killer of some kind. It can be a movement type thing like with Blight, Oni, and Billy. Or the teleportation.

What is key is that they can get across the map fast in some way.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Something using bees and mirrors. Possibly hypnotism as well.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035

I would love to see more unique killer powers. Interesting map traversal like wall climbs or portals that both survivors and killers use. I'd also like more AOE status effect killers, like something that can link survivors together when hit with it, or things that down them if they don't go regress a gen, or something like that

• Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236

A killer I would love to see: their power is they move at 120% movement speed and break pallets and walls 50% faster. Thats it, thats the power. The trade off is their TR is 40 meters and you can hear their footsteps at 56 meters (like a lullaby).

Hed be a monster in chase and hed have good map presence without it being to much in the 4v1.

• Pilot
    Pilot Member Posts: 1,158

Wall climb would make some really really glitchy interactions & perhaps would make some maps & loops obsolete. We already have Nurse when it comes to ignoring basic game mechanics.

• rabldong
    rabldong Member Posts: 91

The Tank in Left 4 Dead. It would be cool if his main ability is to break through walls. Or alien and predator

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

Candyman... oh my lord. Like how he causes such a unique playstyle

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302
    edited June 2021

There are only 2 trap based killers, so perhaps that could be an area to start/look at. Saying that, future trap based killers don't need to have similar traps to trapper and hag, so we could do with something a little unique. One idea I have is for a web typed killer that can leave web traps in rooms to make survivors ultra slow when moving through affected rooms. Gens could be covered in webs which could slow down progression or require clearing before repairing them, handy for anti gen tapping too. Webs could be used to cover vaults which would slow survivors down and the killer can wrap survivors with web for alternative to slugging. Lots of variations

• Drekathar
    Drekathar Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2021

Yes. Definitely. I would like to see more originality. Too many similarities. How about something really unique like a flying killer? It would probably never happen. So let's talk facts: Which combination of past killer powers do you think the next killer will have and will his power hit over pallets?

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

I'll just go down some ideas people had

Shapeshifter

A killer that gets more powerful as generators are repaired

Somebody already said this but wall climber of sorts (hey if monstrum 2 can do it so can dbd)

A crawling killer (I imagine samara form the ring looking somewhat like this if it came to dbd)

Another killer with an insanity effect (like a couple slender concepts I've seen)

just a couple ideas

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

I wish we could have a Wendigo tho i suspose wraith is close enough

• HaunterofShadows

this was also an interesting concept

• JimboMason
    JimboMason Member Posts: 759

Pretty tired of the same killer formula, I hate the twins but at least the devs tried something new, and that's something they need to do more, not to ######### on killers who share the same formula, since some are still pretty fun to play as and go against

• HaunterofShadows
  • Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

Either my long craved wall climbing killer OR a killer who fully utilises the newly added AI, beiing kind of a puppeteer of some mininos that he needs to mirco manage over the map.

• Zenro
    Zenro Member Posts: 319

Honestly another trap killer or stealth killer. Its been a minute soo lets get the xenomorph as the next stealth killer. One can dream.

• BlazePyron2
    BlazePyron2 Member Posts: 145

I want a killer with powers similar to the doctor's where you can inflict the action denial on them. I love shutting down loops or trapping someone on the wrong side of a dropped pallet. I also love the bonus effects like the red stain on the survivor or the illusory doctors giving you clues on where survivors are. I always feel powerful as the doc, even if I don't always 4k.

The only other killer I think that acts like that is Freddy, although I don't own him and haven't kept track of his changes that much.

• yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

I recently posted an idea for a “mini game” killer. The killer draws a survivor into a “Mindscape” - which is a timed 1-on-1 minimap where the survivor is exposed and has to either survive until the time runs out or complete certain objectives.

During the time that the killer and survivor are minimap dueling, their characters are controlled by bots in the main game.

If you want full details, you can find my post about The Dreamcatcher here:

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/254285/new-killer-idea-the-dreamcatcher-a-mind-hunting-killer#latest

• toxik_survivor
    toxik_survivor Member Posts: 1,184

NO KILLERS. DEVS HAVE TO STOP COMING OUT WITH LISENSES EVER FREAKIN COUPLE MONTHS. Sorry about caps. Anyway they need to fix bugs and all that stuff before creating more. Sadly it's all about the money

• A_Skinny_Legend
    A_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 919

Ugh, yes so over ranged killers.

I want an actual Medusa killer with a snake bod but with 2 arms and all that. She can slither around and her movement can be confusing. Idk what her power could be.

• bibibib8
    bibibib8 Member Posts: 843

I dream of a bug free chapter with good perk for both side

• Sadsnacks
    Sadsnacks Member Posts: 677

I want pinhead. Im not tired of ranged killers but i am tired of seeing the game departing from the 80s-90s slasher film aesthetic more and more.

• Exerath1992

Well, its only as glitchy as they make it, which would probably be pretty glitchy. But that doesn't mean I can't dream. Its actually easier to program than wall blinks because you don't have to mess with collision, especially if you made wall climbs on a track, like in left 4 dead 2.

And i doubt wall climbs would be broken because, while it shuts down some loops a little bit, it wouldn't for all loops, and that's less shut down than some other killers.

• Exerath1992

3 trap based killers. Freddy, trapper, and hag. I guess some people wouldn't count Freddy?

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Freddy is a hybrid and predominantly chases oblivious survivors, but yeah he's a semi trapper if anything.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Personally i’d like to see a new killer whose TR is integral to their power like Doc.

I don’t actually have an idea what kind of power that could be, but it would be nice to see another killer focused on AoE powers that cause stall, rather than a focus on lethality.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

I'd rather see NO new killers (or survivors) but instead expand on the existing ones:

Chapter that unlock new perks for existing killers and survivors, that maybe introduce new abilities for killers

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,550

I knew someone would agree :)

Of course I want the legend himself back, but another unique pearl amidst a generic sea would be nice.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,211
    edited June 2021

I want another killer than has some form of teleport, perhaps between lockers or other unique fixed landmarks (like jigsaw boxes and alarm clocks are killer unique landmarks)

Candyman could fit that archetype, could be mirrors that are activated if a survivor walks to close to them.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

i kind of want another trap based killer.

i mean, how can it be that after all these years, in a HORROR GAME (or at least a game in the horror genre with a horror setting), we havent gotten tripwires yet?

there are so many cool possibilities for those!

for example, an idea i've had how it might work would be a Killer that sets tripwires inbetween objects (disarmable, like Beartraps - he would select two close by objects and the tripwire would be placed inbetween them) that are connected to flashbangs - stepping onto the wire would trigger them and blind anyone in a close proximity (excluding the Killer).

but thats just one out of many possibilities with these - maybe survivors could fall over them while running? maybe they latch onto the Survivor either slowing them down significantly or fully holding them in place? or maybe there are two holy handgrenades attached to them that detonate and immediately kill all 4 survivors at once and award the killer with 32k BP and a double pip, aswell as resetting each survivor back to rank 20 immediately?

there are a ton of possible things we could do with these and i would really like to see them make it soon.

• gentacle
    gentacle Member Posts: 260

A killer that can fly, swoop in, and drop people would be funny to me except for the pesky problem of indoor maps :^)

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
  • Beelzeboop
    Beelzeboop Member Posts: 1,306

A stealth killer with some sort of anti-loop.

Some sort of killer that actually ######### with survivors' minds.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

I still think there's room for an actual trickster who has some kind of deceptive power or can sabo interactable items like gens, chest, or lockers. I don't know if they could ever make this work, but I also like the idea of a mimic killer who looks like a survivor -- which I guess is just another kind of deception.

Outside of that, I like the idea of more killers who give the survivors tasks to do, like Pig.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,228

No idea how it would work, but flight and the ability to divebomb for hits.

• FeminineSlime
    FeminineSlime Member Posts: 90

Yeah, I'm sick of loop-ignoring killers. Looping is the literal only mechanic survivors have, it's the focus of survivor gameplay. If killers are introduced that ignore loops or basically guarantee that you will die if you try to loop, then the game is unfun and survivor is just waiting around to die, hoping that your team is sitting on gens, which is the most boring gameplay possible.

My favorite killer to play is Legion and I think it's because Legion is a perfect example of what I would like more killers to be like. You spread map pressure and add difficulty to the survivors by damaging them all over, but to actually truly down them, you still have to win a chase properly. This means that survivor skill still matters, my skill as killer matters, and so my games feel so much more interactive. Every down I get feels like I did something clever or read someone in a fun way.

So I suppose I'd like more killers like that. They don't all have to have non-lethal powers or super nerfed junk like Legion has (I fully admit to masochism.) but making killers where both sides can properly express their skill is way more healthy for the game. I think more killers should have powers based on map control rather than chase. And if they are going to be chase killers, they should have clear, understandable counterplay. Billy is a good example of this. A good Billy can trash teams but you can still learn to play against him and there are clear weaknesses. He's one of my favorite killers to go against because of this.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,550

Oh, my dear friend, you of all people know that I am not one to let the past die easily, especially when it comes to my all-time favorite character.

Those sweet memories of the past are what keeps me playing.

• Zucker_Schock
    Zucker_Schock Member Posts: 565

A killer which changes the game in some way. I am talking about a different approach. I want a killer where playing with him or against him is something completely different than with anyone else.

For example a killer which can change the environment, place solid walls and slowly by himself change the map into a maze.

Or a killer which effects time for both partys and lets everyone jump between points in time so that everyone needs to get accoustomed to their new situation and sorroundings fast.

Maybe even a killer which doesnt play in ego but in strategic birds eye point of view, while playing against him there is a time limit, when it is over everyone dies, when survivors escape they win, he could hinder them, slow down gens, spawn walls or spawn npcs.

Old Freddy was also one of those more unique killers.

And before someone says its outlandish, no it just requires some work, not even as much as you might think. I even know how to implement some of those things into the game. With networking, pathfinding and so on.

This discussion has been closed.