The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Dear Killer Mains,

Just played three matches consecutively where the killer camped then tunneled after unhook. To all killer mains, why use this strategy? As a survivor main, camping and tunneling feels unfun & therefore monotonous, to say the least. If anybody pledges to this gameplay style please explain why, as I may be missing the point.

Comments

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052
    edited June 2021

I swear it used to happen less often, but I experience it at least once every few games now. They either circle the area relentlessly when someone's hooked, tunnel right after someone's been unhooked, or slug as many people as possible. It feels really crappy to leave the match early with 5k points because the killer decided you weren't allowed to play. Or to try to stop them from taking someone else out early and failing.

When they do that, I always assume it's for a challenge or they're speedrunning to rank up faster or something. Or they're mad at some other survivors and taking it out on us. Regardless, it sucks.

• joeyjordisonsnipples
    joeyjordisonsnipples Member Posts: 21

Not really, the killer has many things to do other than camping and tunneling (such as kicking gens and chasing other survivors). If you're are talking about how survivors should do side objectives first, so should killers.

• bibibib8
    bibibib8 Member Posts: 843

Making sure gen domt get done is a side objective. Finally a hook survivor is an amazing bait to progress the game and its always better to go after the injure guy over the healthy one

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710

I dont like these tactics as a killer either, and i play mostly killer...

But lately survivors (at least in red ranks) started to play more efficiently... and i try to avoid it, but it seems the only real way to hold up against that is to actually focus only on one or two survivors and het them out of the game asap or you wont catch on the match...

Oh and of course when the 5 gens are done, there aint much more a killer got to do then to "camp" and secure their kill

Of course camping and hard tunneling while at 4 or 5 gens aint nice and should be avoidable.

I aint defending these killers, but i also see why some do it

• joeyjordisonsnipples

Ending chases & the game fast in general isn't rewarding in the bloodpoint sense, so how is it efficient?

• joeyjordisonsnipples

I guess I'm just missing the point in finishing the game fast as killer. To your point about survivors "genrushing", the killer can stop this from happening (i.e perks and chasing survivors off). However, survivors cannot stop killers from camping/ tunneling. My point here is that survivors seem like they're "genrushing" because they're finishing their objective without resist, killers can finish their objectives without camping and/or tunneling.

• joeyjordisonsnipples

I personally think the strategy of camping after all gens are done is an okay one! This incites excited end game plays and could potentially secure one or more kills

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920

I played for probably five hours last night and the only killers who didn't camp and tunnel were three killers who were just meme'ing. It's so frustrating.

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710

They dont have any other objectives anyway at this point haha

I never had to do this before but you would be surprised to see how often i end up having to do something like that lately and it saddens me up cause it gives me the feeling i couldnt do anything else in the match :(

• joeyjordisonsnipples

You make a great point about having experience before asking these sorts of questions! I used to be a killer main a few months back. The comment I was responding to made sure to use the wording of "finishing their objective as quickly as possible" (In reference to killers camping and tunneling), so to some they might want a fast easy match. You mention killers wanting to finish the game at all and securely, this is an interesting point because killers don't have to play boring to get kills at all. Riveting and exciting gameplay makes this game fun regardless of kills or being killed.

• joeyjordisonsnipples

I love how you pointed out the different match scenarios and the fact that killer gameplay is based on each match. In my post I was specifically referencing killers who tunnel in the sense of downing the person directly after they're unhooked, though I wasn't clear about that.

• NekoTorvic
    NekoTorvic Member Posts: 772

I mean, yeah, in specific matches you sometimes do have to down a person who has immediately gotten unhooked. The first paragraph addresses that.

if you're walking around and see 3 gens at 75% and you've got 1 hook then you'll likely just down the unhooked survivor immediately to try and get some pressure.

Now, if you mean a killer that tunnels immediately at the very start of the match, then it could be that the player they're tunneling was very weak at chase and they just want them out, they care more about securing the game than preserving the experience of the survivor, which is fair enough. It could also be that that player no longer cares to give survivors a chance because when he has before, it has turned out badly.

I know for a fact I've had my fair share of matches where i've said "ok they don't seem to strong, and gens are ok so Im not gonna tunnel", 1 minute later I'm at 1 gen and no one is dead, and then survivors are dicks about it in the end game chat. Some people don't care, but some people eventually get to a point where if a survivor gives them the chance they will just tunnel them immediately without even thinking about it.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I have a lot of people say this kind of thing right after predropping every pallet and holding W.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

I will tunnle you if you:

• Flashlight flicker me (after the unhook)
    • You have key (this is like painting a target on you body)
    • Try to use Borrow Time to bodyblock (I wait, you BT runs out, you go back on the hook asap)
    • I just randomly run into you after the unhook (please try to evade me...at least a bit)
    • You are the only one I can find after the unuhook (you healed under the hook, Claudett went behind a rock and you stand there on the silver plate for me)
    • Your teammates throw you under the bus by not taking any heat and always camping safe tiles (why should I hunt them when you are the better target?)

I hate camping as it is boring as hell. However I will camp you if I see one of your teammates coming for the rescue or if the exit gates are open. In the second scenario I will lose all control over the game by going away from you as your team will most likely come to the rescue and escape through the other gate. Also if you teammate loops me right next to you...well, I guess you can call it camping but what am I supposed to do? Let you both go in oder to travel to the other side of the map and see an unhook AND a gen popping?

As you see I got some reasons for tunneling you or camping the hook. Most times it is because there are no other choices.

As an example however: I will teleport away as Freddy ALL of the time, because I use BBQ and I see where the next target is. My goal is to constantly stay in chase AND to stack my BBQ full. As such camping you or tunneling you is a wast of my time. Also as Bubba I will leave you alone as I want BBQ stacks and have to be an example of a Bubba. Same with Ghostface, I will go away because I use BBQ. However if you reveal me from an unsafe spot when we cross paths later I will switch my target to you most of the time. Do not reveal me as Ghostface and I will not target you right away.

That said I have no compassion for Killers who facecamp and tunnel of the hook. They deserve to loose especial if the abuse Bubba for that.

• Artemisha
    Artemisha Member Posts: 401

It doesn´t happen always, but when happens, it sucks. Last day I played vs a Huntress on Coldwind. She hooked one survivor still with 5 gens and camped on 2 metters diameter. Passed some time i went to try rescue again. She was still there hatchet up. She was able to land me one hacthet and i runned into a structure to start a chase, but she didn´t follow me and kept camping. I go back for heal when another survivor try rescue and finish slugged on ground (so we have 1 slugged and 1 in phase 2).

We are able to recover guy on ground and hook guy dies. She goes for the recovered guy and tunnel him. So we are just 2 survivors with 4 gens to do. We manage to do one more gen till she gets my teammate. I rescue him and she catches him again. Then she discovers me (guy on hook dies), and chase me. Eventually she takes my down, grab me and hit on the exit button. I say no with the head. She grabs me and take me to the hatch, and again, I refuse to take it while she says me "yes" with the head. She then rise me up and take me to hook.

I know tunneling and camping is a absolutlely efficient tactic, specially on public games vs Solo Q....but.....this thing felt extremely dirty unfair and unfun to play. Thats why I refused to take the hatch he gave me in the end. IMO you can´t tryhard this way and then pretend to be nice giving hatch to the last one. I told him that on post game chat, and he was like...."Ok. If u say so...".

Tunneling and camping early game feels abusive, and the worst part is that on public games it works as there is no teamplay neither communication. SWF can more or less handle a tunneler and maximize the times; Solo Q not.

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052

This is exactly how I feel. I'm perfectly fine with losing 80% of the matches I end up in. I just want to have something to do and have fun earning points. When I feel like I have to run specific perks and avoid completing objectives because the killer is going to keep gunning for me until I'm dead with 8k points max, it makes the game extremely unfun. I honestly wish matches were more balanced so nobody had to walk away empty handed or end up with a target on their backs, killer included.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

Because they're more competitive and Tunneling is finishing the objective as soon as possible.

• aroell
    aroell Member Posts: 477

Are you guys telling me that gen rushing is a problem now? Remember how old BNP was? Tunneling has never been this bad. Killers just want excuses to be lazy and not actually play the game. Then they call themselves skillful after doing the bare minimum.

• Laurie268
    Laurie268 Member Posts: 573
    edited June 2021

I actually prefer getting tunneled because my teammates don’t last 10 secs in a chase. I have every pallet in the map at my disposal, all my teammates have to do is gens.

• FattiePoobum
    FattiePoobum Member Posts: 293

What a stupid argument

there’s 4 survivors not 1 you arnt doing the objective by camping 1 survivor

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

I dont do it but i know why. With the use of DS degrading and falling out of the meta somewhat, yet other strong perks also being introduced, its caused a situation where not only is the fear of being punished for tunnelling gone, but with a power imbalance rn the best way for a killer to regain control over a trial is removing a survivor asap by tunnelling.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

I mean... its effective. I know it isn't fun, and I try not to play like that until gens are done... but like... the game gets so much easier when one of the survivors are dead.

Its also possible you ended up in a game where three of the Survivors didn't ever want to take chase and the last guy was bad at stealth. I had a game like that recently on Midwich. I was trying to not tunnel the Tapp out of the game, but it legitimately felt like he was the only Survivor in my game. Like I even went as far as just picking up and dropping him on death hook to activate Thrilling Tremors so I could try to find someone else.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

Did you do anything to piss the killers off. That would do it.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Imagine thinking the killer you played against is "killer main"

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,267
    edited June 2021

When i play as killer only reason for me to do tunneling or facecamping is

1 If you have a key, I dont like key users

2 You were being toxic to me (macro flashlighting, buttdancing /teabagging or just pointing at me and being this im pro come at me survivor)

3 There was 1 gen left or door were open already

Even saying all this i never facecamp. I might walk around near the person being hooked but i dont stand infront of you hitting you with my weapon. Also dont call me a tunneler if you get off the hook and run to my lap or i see you again. Of course im going to take you down. If i hit you down instantly after getting off the hook i'll give you a chance and leave you on the ground. If noone saves you in few minutes after i've left you there well then that's on your teammates.

Usually im the nice killer and i ruin myself trying to play by the books. If theres afker or dcer i let the last person go.

Post edited by Hannacia on
  • Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236

Because getting hooks on people leads to them being removed from the game. This question woukd be like if a killer asked you "ending generators early & the game early isnt rewarding in bloodpoints so how is it efficient?"

You see? Completing objectives moves yiu tiwards a win, getting rid if 1 survivir in 4 really early is HYPER efficient (assuming of course you can do that) as it completes a 4th of my objectives and slows the rest of the team down

• Jokersmile
    Jokersmile Member Posts: 95

I tend to play very aggressive on the side of the map i want to keep gens up on after i hook i go check gens if no one is on them and someone unhooks i'm going back to find the survivor who unhooked its pretty standard. Now i'll slug the person off the hook if doing something dumb like healing under it and if the person who saved runs to an area i'm not going to chase through then yes i'll put that survivor back on the hook.

• SonicOffline
    SonicOffline Member Posts: 917

If I was here for you or your bloodpoints I'd be on your team. 🙃

• Jaffycake
    Jaffycake Member Posts: 56

because im not really trying to win the game, if i wanted to win then i wouldnt nonestop tunnel, it is a bad tactic. I'm just having some fun and the messages I get tell me to kill myself and die of cancer entertain me enough to want to do it more.

• Jaffycake
    Jaffycake Member Posts: 56

There are 5 gens, you are not doing the objective by sitting on one gen /s

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

This is how I play killer. Except I could give a rats-butt about camping a survivor with a key. I just don't see keys as a problem. Also, I'll avoid going after butt-dancing, flash-light clickers. They're trying to disrupt my concentration, so the best play is avoid them till the end because they end of wasting more of the other survivors time than actually doing anything.

If there's a beginning game DC, I'm going to play really easy against the survivors and will let one of them go at the end, unless I forget or the 3 survivors are just freaking way out-classing me, then I'll try-hard.

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562

Tunneling gets a Survivor out of the match ASAP, which slows down the gen times, which increases the time needed for Survivors to escape, which increases my chances of finding & killing another Survivor.

So I'll keep tunneling; it's a legit strat that works in my favor.

As for camping? I camp when I'm aware Survivors are being altruistic.

Keep in mind, 99% of the time, Survivors scream 'HE'S CAMPING!' while the Killer is aware they are hiding near the hook, waiting for the Killer to leave.

That's TWO people (Hooked & hider) not doing gens; why would I walk away & allow an unhook, which then puts 2 more Survivors back on gens?

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited June 2021

I generally won't intentionally tunnel, usually if that happens it's because the unhooked person ran into me while their rescuer split off in the other direction, and it becomes a crime of opportunity. However, If I chase a survivor to a hooked person, or likewise any survivor is stupid enough to unhook their ally right in front of me... Imma Punish them for it.

In that sadly fairly common scenario, I'll knock them both down if I can manage it, starting with the rescued person. If the rescuer has BT, then that's fine, I'll smack the unhooked and send them on their way to go mend while I case down the rescuer, If not, Then I'll attempt the double down leaving the rescued on the floor while trying to take down the rescuer. That way, another survivor has to leave a gen to come pick up the downed survivor before I get the other, or I'll end up hooking them both.

Likewise I'm generally not one for camping either, It's not an effective strategy in the higher ranks since everyone knows that if they see a camper, they just do all the gens and sacrifice their teammate. However, there are some exceptions:

I'm not sure if OP would be surprised at how often I hook a survivor, only to turn around and see all 3 of their teammates circling or sneaking around the hook. As long as they're not doing their objectives and are being too altruistic, Imma punish them for that too. Of course there's also the golden rule: Once the gates are powered... "Anything Goes".

Realistically When the gates power up the only objective left to the killer is securing kills since they no longer have any generators to defend. If guarding a hooked survivor brings their teammates to you, and thus increases your chances of getting more downs/hooks, then do it. I'd prefer not to, but taking advantage of survivors altruism is typically beneficial in the end game. It's also really difficult to feel any sympathy or mercy for survivors when they never hold back on any of their builds or strategies. I mean Why should the killer ever hold back if they won't?

When it comes to this "End game Camping" scenario, the killers only hope is that the survivors will have spent all of their "2nd chances", otherwise it's a guaranteed loss, and both sides know it. I never begrudge a survivor for beating the odds in that scenario with a well used DS, Unbreakable, Soulguard etc., or any combo of "2nd chances" after the gates are powered as that's all part of the game, and likely also part of the survivors strategy. I just don't like it when they get all butt hurt if it miraculously fails, if it ends up costing them 1 or more teammates, or if it all happened during the endgame wherein it was the only option I had left to try and secure a kill.

Overall Camping and Tunneling only result in an advantage when certain circumstances align, otherwise they aren't good strategies to rely on since focusing on them all game will take away a killers pressure on gens, and typically result in a loss. However, in those circumstances, where an advantage can be gained due to the teams foolishness, or arrogance... Imma take it, and I'm not going to feel bad about it, no matter how much they whine afterwards.

This is an Asymmetrical game with a plethora of options and "2nd chances" for the survivors, so I firmly believe killers should never afford any sympathy for idiots.

Post edited by TWiXT on
  • MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053

Why do you think survivors cant have a way to stop it? They have Borrowed Time, Decisive, Adrenaline, even breakdown can help, same with mettle of man. The killer will most likely be camping/tunneling when 4/3 survivors are alive and when that happens all you do is swarm the hook, its really easy to stop a camping killer, stopping a tunneling one is trickier though but can still be done nonetheless.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146
    edited June 2021

I will play fair and try to get every survivor on hook for my bbq stacks, then try to get everyone on second hook. Depending on the team however this is not always a viable strategy. If 3 gens pop quite early, or I have a bad game and end up with 2 gens and 4 survivors, someone needs to be taken out of the game. This leads to me tunnelling.

Camping I will normally only do once all gens are done and I need to secure the kill unless only one survivor is left or the team is highly altruistic and they have proven to me they will all swarm the hook, I love those teams lol. All other times bbq does it's work, shows me the auras and off I go.

Bringing a key in, especially a last minute switch in the lobby, or I see you found one in the trial will lead me to tunnelling since Franklin's will not destroy it anymore. Best thing to do if you find a key in the trial is to hide it somewhere so killers don't know it's in play.

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146

Don't forget about a strong pallet loop with 2 jungle gyms or T walls at either side lol.

• Power_Guy

Here's one of the more amusing things about this game, for me:

I stay near a hook because a Survivor is nearby? I'm 'camping' and need to 'git gud' and should stop being 'toxic'. I should try to hook Survivors more.

I stay near a hook because the exit gates are open & I want a kill? Again; 'camping', and 'why are you (am I) trying to hard for a kill?' and 'Just let them go'.

So basically, according to those who complain about 'camping'; I can't stay near the hook during a match, and I can't stay near the hook in the Endgame Collapse.

So...when am I allowed to try winning? 🤷‍♂️

• BuddhaBing
    BuddhaBing Member Posts: 248

In some situations, those are the best use of the killer's time. It's that simple.

• Power_Guy

Survivors just want to do the bare minimum and will try shaming Killers into not playing optimally, then call themselves skillful after using peer pressure to ensure Killers don't 'slug', 'camp', or 'tunnel'.

Seriously; are you going to ride that 'Killers lazy 4 camping!' horse to death?

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

100% of course not. It did train me to hit them extremely consistently though. That's assuming it lasted more than a minute.

• drpynz
    drpynz Member Posts: 247

When the game spawns all 4 survivors in front of different gens how does the killer have a chance if he doesn't get someone out of the game fast? it's more of a game design issue than anything imo. Sometimes it happens and others it doesn't.