What is it about this game that so many players struggle with? (Survivor)

Options
justalilbit123
justalilbit123 Member Posts: 190
edited June 2021 in General Discussions

Everyone knows even rank 1 survivor mains with 700 hours still do things like hook bomb without BT, never touch a gen a single time in a 10 minute game, crouch around the map for the first 3 minutes of the game without even running Urban Evasion, get unhooked and run to the corner of the map behind a rock before they let you heal them, can't last longer than 20 seconds in a chase, etc.

What is it about this game that causes so many people to suck so hard? I play other games, like Starcraft 2 or Valorant and even the lower level players are still pretty good at the game. (They know their stuff, they know the tricks and even though they make weird decisions and mistakes sometimes, they are still quite decent) Whereas in this game sometimes you literally can't tell the difference between a rank 20 player with 60 hours and a rank 1 player with 600 hours.

For example, I think the vast majority of players should be able to contribute at least 80 seconds of repairs per match and be able to survive for at least 40 seconds in a chase, that's pretty easy to do unless you mess up real hard. But 9 out of 10 games the other 3 survivors can't even come close to either of those standards.

Comments

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    Options

Lack of communication

• Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236
    Options

You dont need communication to last 40 secs in a chase or do 1 gen

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    Options

You do of you want to make it worth anything. Otherwise you get into situations where you find out that 3 people are roaching for saves instead of sitting on gens.

Matchmaking in this game is non-existent. The pip system makes hours and skill barely relatable.

You can get to red ranks by playing immersed and fishing for hatch. You can get to red ranks by being fed boosted aurvivors.

• justalilbit123
    Options

You're right but what I'm wondering is why someone with 1000 hours in another game is pretty good regardless of rank, but 1000 hours in this game there's still a 75% chance the player is worse than a bot.

• syain
    syain Member Posts: 434
    Options

The lack of an actual efficient matchmaking and ranking system makes complaining about this sort of player really futile. People may have 700 hours without having put the effort to really learn anything about the game in more than superficial depth. Heck, I just got 1000 and I'd say my last 200 hours were more productive when it came to learning than the other 800 combined. Try to focus on what is under your control in order to keep your cool or else you're gonna go crazy, especially in solo queue. At the end of the day it's a casual game.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Because it's a casual game where most people are just screwing around.

• Jyn_Mojito
    Jyn_Mojito Member Posts: 515
    Options

Could be any number of things, but trying to complete Adept and Rift challenges are big offenders. In order to complete them, sometimes it puts players at odds with teammates or otherwise shared and coordinated goals.

• drpynz
    drpynz Member Posts: 246
    Options

agreed. Earlier I was on Hawkins and had a David body block me between barrels and point at me and I couldnt get out for about 2 minutes. Fun times.

• justalilbit123
    edited June 2021
    Options

"It's a casual game" is not an argument. And this isn't a casual game, regardless of how you feel about it. It's a team based asymmetrical competitive game with ranked matchmaking. Not Stardew Valley.

Just because it doesn't have a 50 million dollar esports industry doesn't mean it's a casual game.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

It's a casual game is an argument. It's not hard to understand. A competitive game is taken seriously. The majority of the player base doesn't take this game seriously. There are people who want to treat this game like it's an esport, but it's not and never will be.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,793
    Options

even if it is people will still play it like a casual game lol

• Deckergirl
    Deckergirl Member Posts: 39
    Options

The last few games I did, I was just screwing around. Trying to have fun you know, flash bang the baddie or maybe POP stun out of a locker. Turns out the games where I'm purposely trying to have fun. Are the games where my team wins,

I could honestly care less what the other players think about my playstyle because at the end of the day, I had fun.

My clothes aren't drenched, & I don't stink.

It's a game about having fun & I'm sorry you feel like everyone should play 1 set way.

If you only feel like you have fun when you play with like minded players. Then you should start a SWF.

Otherwise the reality of real life is NEVER expect anything from anyone, you'll only be let down.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    edited June 2021
    Options

This game is too much rng and not balanced in a slightest. It attracts a lot of people that are not that good in video games so they can do simple things like dropping a pallet or rev a chainsaw with Bubba in the camped survivors face till they die and feel like they did something special.

I bet most of these people can't even beat sp games like sekiro. Let alone 2d platformers.

It is not an insult but when I see someone having an ego moment because they did something simple it makes me cringe.

• drpynz
    drpynz Member Posts: 246
    Options

And blocked in again by two survivors at the exit gate after I opened the gate. People are just great lately.

• justalilbit123
    Options

This is such a freaking yikes thought process I'm just gonna nope out of this thread.

• syain
    syain Member Posts: 434
    Options

Sorry... Competitive? There is virtually no skill based matchmaking in this game which means a 5 year veteran can get put in the same team as 3 new players (trust me it doesn't take the average player over 2 or 3 months to get to rank 1) to vs an unknown killer nobody could prepare for and whose skill level may also vary incredibly. Might be a first time Clown player and it might just as well be the #1 Spirit in the leaderboards. There's also no communication within a solo queue team which is likely going to lead to massive wastes of time and misplays that couldn't be avoided without players talking to one another. How can you take this more seriously than a casual game?

What is competitive about a legacy nurse stomping on 4 default megs, for example? To have a competition you need balance, as much of an equal chance for both sides to win, and red rank solo queue DBD has as much competitive balance as Stardew Valley. That's why there's a completely separate "competitive" scene for DBD which based on what you've written so far seems will appeal to you. It's just not fair to expect people to play correctly because "it's high ranks", like come on.

How many hours do you have and why do you think ranks are important enough to justify calling this game competitive? Is there another factor I'm missing or is this really about what number is shown beside your name? It will be hard to believe you have over 500 hours and still care about depipping because of something you could do nothing about given how easy it is to pip.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 898
    Options

I empathize with your sentiment completely OP. It has for years boggled my mind just how bad so many players in this game can be, so much so that they regularly can't even seem to fulfil the most basic requirements of playing it. It's not even a lack of game-specific knowledge or game-specific smarts and skills, so many players make completely non-sensical decisions even from a purely common sense perspective. For just one obvious of countless other such examples: It is completely common for random survivors to sit around a hook for prolonged periods of time and watch a survivor be camped, and not only that, but often they will then rush in for an unhook play mere seconds after the hooked survivor has transitioned into the struggle stage - so not only were they stupid enough to waste time doing nothing but standing around the hook in the first place, but while they were apparently scared of taking a hit for the unhook or of trading hooks for that entire time doing so, just after the hooked survivor enters struggle stage they suddenly rush in for an unhook attempt that comes with those very same risks attached for them while obviously being decidedly more detrimental overall. And this happens so often you can basically count on randoms to do this. And there's plenty more such failing-at-the-most-basic-stuff that is equally as common in this game. If I see a random survivor get injured at the beginning of a round, I sometimes start counting in my head, wondering whether they too will only last around 10 seconds in that chase, and it is laughable how often I'm right. And I don't even want to start on the many inexplicable things players apparently find to do in this game that prevent them from actually repairing generators.

It goes for both roles, but it is particularly glaring on the survivor side indeed. That they barely progress the singular main objective there is and consistently manage to go down in seconds even against pure M1 killers just blows my mind. If I can get frustrated with this game, that's actually one of the few things to do it. The cognitive dissonance caused by not understanding how it can be possible for people to play so badly and stupidly that it can barely even be described as "playing" altogether versus the experience of seeing it happen constantly, round after round, is just not a pleasant experience, even regardless of the fact that it often makes rounds unreasonably difficult or downright impossible, or on the flipside painfully boring as killer.

And I know for sure that these players aren't trying not to win or don't care about the game. It's not like they aren't the first to be very upset in post-game chat, and not like they aren't more than willing to hide for 10 minutes to get a hatch escape. They want to survive, they don't want to be killed by the killer, the competitive core concept of the game is not completely lost on these players. But they just can't seem to manage to make even just reasonably smart decisions or somewhat skillful plays to save their lives.

In other games I consistently meet players that give me a challenge and show me that there are swathes of players thinking about and practicing and improving at the game constantly, it is not even rare for players to impress me. In DbD meeting even just competent players is such a rare delight I feel like I'm playing with Einstein whenever a player does not seem to have #########-for-brains-and-hands, excuse my french.

Obviously this has to do with the fact that the matchmaking system randomly throws together players the skill and experience disparity between which can be and regularly is huge, such as 100 hour players that are dreaming of their first chase that lasts more than 30 seconds meeting 4000+ hour players that can't remember the last time they've had more than one person escape through the exit gates. But while that is a big problem, that's far from the only reason for this. Like you say, even players with hundreds and even thousands of hours are not unlikely to still be at best mediocre at the game, and not seldomly still more on the side of "pretty bad".

MMR when.