Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Is 8 GB of RAM enough for this game?

ShamelessPigMain
ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877
edited July 2021 in General Discussions

I was thinking about getting a new PC and I was thinking about upgrading from my current 8 GB of ram to something higher, considering that performance is really not that great. I really don't know what's bottlenecking it for sure (since the other components are pretty decent), but I suspect it might be the RAM. Any tips?

Comments

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I have 16 gigs of DDR4 and I don't think this game has ever used more that 7 gigs.

• ShamelessPigMain
    edited July 2021

My OS itself and background processes take up a hefty chunk (and plus I use Chrome for some reason) so I can't relate with that kind of silver spoon gigabyte abundance.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,438

RAM is cheap, so it doesn't really matter much, just get something with 8 or 16 and if you need more just buy another stick.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,474

need more sheep

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,533
    edited July 2021

I'm doing the same thing. DBD really pushes up against 8gb of RAM. You can run the game fine but if you have other applications and tabs open it quickly becomes a problem.

In a week or so when I'm done assembling my new PC with 16gb DDR4 3600, I hope to not have to worry about running stuff in the background anymore (Netflix and YouTube during queues and loading screens is too good to give up especially since DBD will probably never be optimized to use less RAM just more over time)

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

For gaming and PCs in general, 8GB isn't really enough anymore. 16 has been the norm for a few years now. But DbD should be fine on 8GB. If it's not then you can thank the terrible optimisation for that, as usual.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,841

Tbh it really depends on the amount of vram you have rather than regular ram.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

well, 16 gigs is the norm and has been for about 4-5 years. I got 2 8gb sticks for $70NZD last year, but I don't know if the chip shortage is causing the price to increase or by how much. I also don't know what your motherboard takes, I think DDR2 and DDR3 are still a fair bit cheaper if you have slots for them.

You could always just buy a 4gb stick, that's usually enough to run the resource-hungry Windows OS and some browser tabs (although Chrome is one of the worst when it comes to eating CPU and ram, I uninstalled it because of how much it slows my PC and how much data it gathers. Firefox and Opera are better options if you want to free up processing power). I have to run multiple virtual machines which is why I forked over so much, but generally a basic Windows 10 VM runs quite well on 4 gigs of space so the real thing should as well.

• MongolPSR
    MongolPSR Member Posts: 1,032

If you can spring for it try 32gb which will be the low cost standard in the next 2 or so years. I'm personally trying to talk myself into 128gbs for my new computer I'm building but it's a little pricey even for my taste.

• Zeus
    Zeus Member Posts: 2,112

I run this game on low with 8 GB RAM and don't seem to have a problem so far. I run some background stuffs like my antivirus and occasionally my browser and it didn't affect my performance.

• ShamelessPigMain
    edited July 2021

Well thank you very much for making me feel self-conscious about my age. I thought 16 gigs was still a pretty premium option, is 8 gigs really not the norm anymore?