Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Any tips for Ultrawide Monitors?

Title is self explanatory. I play on an ultrawide monitor for Dead by Daylight and my camera is zoomed a lot more than it is for others. Because of this, I'm stuck having a very short view with everything else being really stretched out making the game look generally ugly. I'm not asking for a wider FoV for ultrawide players, I'm asking for a way to get off of the stretched monitor. I looked at a guide in the steam, and unfortunately for me, the fix supported nearly every 21:9 aspect ratio EXCEPT for mine...

Comments

• Bo90
    Bo90 Member Posts: 2

Same here. The game isn't playable as it is currently. It's scary that they still haven't fixed this after all these years.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 924
    edited June 2021

There are three options for you, albeit none of them add "support" for ultrawide aspect ratios, they merely work around them:

1. Change your desktop resolution to something with a different aspect ratio, such as 16:9. If you don't like the stretched look, set your system to display black bars to keep the aspect ratio proportional.
    2. Run the game in windowed mode, again enabling you to set an aspect ratio that doesn't cut off your vertical FoV but without the need to change your desktop resolution or set black bars.
    3. Run the game in exclusive fullscreen mode, which does the same thing, again without the need to manually change your desktop resolution every time, and also coming with performance improvements.

Maybe BHVR will at some point add ultrawide support alongside addressing increased vFoV "abuse", by fixing the FoV regardless of aspect ratio. It would still look slightly stretched then on ultrawide ratios, however, depending on what the fixed FoV is, which presumably would still be based on the 16:9 standard.

Post edited by zarr on
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Ultrawide is a niche market, with niche problems. This is why you shouldn't buy such technologies (ultrawide monitors, VR, brand new GPUs) until if and when they become mainstream, or at least a bit more streamlined, because they're very prone to problems. All ultrawide users are essentially doing live, unpaid beta testing of the technology while developers learn to deal with/fix its problems.

• Qikin
    Qikin Member Posts: 14

While ultrawide monitors is a niche market, it still is a growing in popularity market, and lack of its support is nothing but an objective flaw within a game. How much does it bother anyone is down to subjective experience, but I can see the point that for many players the game is unplayble.

What is fascinating is that the technology is older than you perhaps realise, and the first games that natively support them were made even before 2000s (Civ II and Age of Wonders, to name a few).

I've seen your other comments on this topic and while I agree with you that the game has much more bigger problems than that, please do keep in mind that for some the game is unplayable, and BHVR is a large company with many team within it. It wouldn't be unrealistic to dedicate small programmers team to do the task, while the other fix other problems plaguing the game.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035

Don't buy such a boujee monitor lol

• Qikin

Why? Most of modern games support ultrawide resoltuions, even many old games (late 90s and early 2000s ones), because they were well coded to support any resolutions. It's not unwise to expect from such a big company as BHVR to deliver a standard support, when much more smaller teams were able to do it.

Not to mention advantages you get when you work on one. Ultrawide gives you much more workspace and makes dividing software windows more comfortable. Personally this is why I bought one, for work primarly. For everyone that haven't tried it, I highly encourage to try one if opportunity arises.

Plus, it comes with many benefits in games, for me personally being the immersion factor.

So I cannot see why one shouldn't buy ultrawide monitors, if this purchase suits the needs.

• Qikin

I would apprciate if you would attack my points, rather than trying to attack my person. FYI, I, and many of my friends would not consider me a 'rich boi'.

I would also ask you to refrain yourself from going offtopic or negating the problem, because it does not birth any productive discussions. It is why forum with different topics exist, so you can enter any discussion you want and voice your opinion there. If the ultrawide support (or rather lack of it) does not in any way involve you, let people that this topic concern voice their opinions. It is counter-productive to, for example, enter a discussion on game balance and just write 'why are you talking about balance, when there are no resoltuion option?'.

To contiue the theme of ultrawide support, I would like to present an idea for those saying about 'giving the game Hor+ resolution scailing and thus removing the problem for ultrawides, also creates an unfair advantage'. If we treat the game as competetive one, how come that nearly every competetive game (Valorant being the only exception, but applies to CS:GO, Rainbow Six Siege, etc.) does support ultrawide resolutions and it is there considered a norm? What's more, how come, that in the game where hiding in shadows is an important gameplay tactic, NVIDIA cards users can use build-in features to increase brightness and visibility in the game? That is considered an unfair advantage and was pointed out numerous times when the feature was presented, but now I feel like everyone forgot about it. And just as in other competetive games people do not mind the ultrawides, I'm quite sure the same thing would happen in DBD community.

• Qikin

I can see that you're trying to provoke me, but I suggest you to stop.

You also misunterstood why ultrawide monitor users have a problem with the game. Right now, by default, 21:9 gameplay cuts more than 30% of vertical screen, making it zoomed in and nearly unplayable. With no in-game options to change resolution (which is the basic feature of any video game), you can now guess why so many people have a problem with that.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035

I mean, that last one wasn't trying to provoke you, just being honest with that one. #1stWorldProblems , ya know?

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624
    edited July 2021

Play in 1080p Windowed Borderless and use the sides of the monitor to display your Twitch Stream feed.

I have no idea if that actually works or can be done. I just thought it'd be a nice use of the extra screen real estate.