Dead Hard Discussion

NMCKE
NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

Introduction — Dead Hard

I saw this perk around the community, it's probably the most discussed thing in the community — and I know why, players can't decide if the perk is healthy / balanced for the game.

Many players want it nerfed, some believe it's fine, the general opinion seems to be everywhere. There's no majority from the looks of it, so it made me think... Why is this perk get so much attention?

Just curious, what's your thoughts on the perk? Do you think it's fine or should be it nerfed?

Personally, I believe the perk is relatively fine — it rewards skill and allows survivors to do crazy plays with the perk, that's very cool. However, I'm against the perk making survivors temporarily invincible because you shouldn't need it if you used the speed boost to get to safety, it's just another unnecessary safety net in my eyes that skilled survivors don't need. Upon that, it's pretty ridiculous since it makes you immune to Bear Traps, Hatchets, and the list goes on — if you get caught, then it's only fair that the killer gets rewarded a hook.

Closing Statement

Again, what's your thoughts on DH? What should the developers, if anything, do with it?

Comments

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,219
    edited July 2021

It's not a big deal really. The only time it's really annoying is when you're chasing an injured survivor towards the exit and they DH to gain distance. So you know you never had a chance at getting them anyway.

At most, I would maybe add in a short hinderance effect after the dash, to slow them a little, so that it doesn't gain that much net distance, but still acts as a dodge if timed right, to avoid a lunge.

For example, if DH currently gives the survivor an addition 5 meters, then after the dash they'd be slowed down just enough so that the killer can make up 2 additional meters, resulting in a 3 meter net gain instead of 5.

• Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259

My only issue with the perk is that it makes you immune to bear traps. I think that feature is a little too busted. Trapper already loses enough time setting up his traps. If you run into a trapped pallet you shouldn't get a free pass

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

I only have 2 issues with the perk.

1. Bear Traps. It shouldn't avoid bear traps.

2. Dead Hard for distance. Not necessarily because it has no counterplay, but because survivors take no risk for using it for distance.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184

I dont know how to make DH more fair without reworking it. It's too inconsistent and easily counterable without the distance part.

If they did change it, I'd hope they scrap the entire thing.

• NMCKE

Personally, the distance doesn't bother me since all other exhaustion perks, including Head On, gives more distance than Dead Hard.

I just dislike how the perk gives you immunity to all damage. If you used the distance correctly, then it should allow you to avoid damage.

I don't know, I don't think there's much you can change about DH to be completely honest.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

The perk is easily the most overrated survivor perk in my opinion. Sprint burst is the superior exhaustion perk for survivors. But as everyone else is saying it should not allow you run over trapper, that is the one think that should get nerfed.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,603

Maybe they could make it so that you cannot interact with windows or pallets for a short amount of time after using it.

• NMCKE

That's the problem, there's not much you can change about DH without gutting it to the ground. There's not a lot of variables to change about the perk unlike the others.

The vault / pallet idea is nice, but how long would it last exactly?

I want the invincibility removed since if the killer catches you during the dash, then you failed to use the distance in time to avoid damage and should be punished as such. If that doesn't work, maybe the perk causes a 5% hindered status effect.

I have no idea. This is very difficult discussion, no solution doesn't sound good.

• Morpheus_7_
    Morpheus_7_ Member Posts: 348

I think it's absurd to talk about nerf! you can only use it once during a chase! everyone uses it even though SB is much better! but I don't want to walk all over the map!

• gendoss
    gendoss Member Posts: 2,270

I'm one of the few people who think that DH is okay but if it did get nerfed I could see why. Honestly though even if it did get nerfed the new meta would just be Sprint Burst and in some ways that's even stronger than DH. I don't think a nerf to DH would change much honestly.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

Dead Hard has one main problem IMO:

neither does it require you to do anything specific to earn its effect (as is the case with every other Exhaustion Perk in this game), nor does it come with a clear downside added to it (as is the case with Sprint Burst, the only other Exhaustion Perk that doesnt require any specific action).

i dont necessarily want the Perk nerfed, i want it changed to fit into the above stated criteria.

currently the Perk basically just acts as a free 3rd healthstate, there really isnt any reason not to run it every game and it leaves the Killer with no way to actively play around it, as is the case with so many of the others.

of course you can "just bait out the DH", but lets be honest, a vast minority of people actually use the Perk that way. The main usage and the main issue with it is the infamous "Dead Hard for distance", something you cant just bait out as Killer.

so what exactly do i want to happen?

there are two possible answers to this question:

1) keep the Perk in its current form, but make it so when a Survivor uses it, they feel a heavy downside attached to it. That or make it so they risk their Perk by doing certain actions during the game and then risking not having it when the Killer comes around (as is the case with Sprint Burst)

2) rework the current activation requirement into something the Survivor has to earn. something that isnt "play the game normally and then press E when you're about to go down". That or make it tied to a certain action they have to take so the Killer can actively predict its usage (as is the case with Lithe, Balanced Landing, Smash Hit, ...)

• MadmegMain
    MadmegMain Member Posts: 105

I ask the devs to just nerf the perk so people stop complaining about it. A skilled killer can counter it 9 times out of 10 and it barely works anyways so go ahead and nerf it. I prefer other perks anyways

• NMCKE

Actually, it can be used pretty easily.

You don't use the perk for damage immunity, it's more for distance. When you're looping a killer, you can be greedy knowing if you miscalculate the distance — you have Dead Hard to cover up your miscalculation. This usually allows a survivor to get another loop in or reach another tile. That's how the perk wastes time, whereas other perks allows you to increase the amount of distance between the killer and survivor.

• bongu
    bongu Member Posts: 11

Easy. Remove dmg immunity. It will be more balanced than now.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I dislike that it can be used to either dodge a hit or for distance.

Make it one or the other, not both. I'd prefer that it be used to dodge a hit, but that'd involve BHVR fixing their servers so that's unlikely

• Grimmy_Bluues
    Grimmy_Bluues Member Posts: 354

Easy solution: Survivors lose the ability to interact with stuff for 1.5s after using DH (like a Doc shock) and they can no longer DH over bear traps.

That solves the main issues people have with the perk afaik.

• OrangeJack
    OrangeJack Member Posts: 464

I think DH is fine, it counters killers getting free hits due to deadzones and long stretches with no pallets/loops.

• NMCKE

Personally, I would take away the invincibility because skilled survivors don't need it anyway. The distance is used to reach the safety of a pallet or vault, giving the equivalent of a health state since it prevented them from taking damage.

This change would mean you couldn't avoid bear traps, killers M1s [they would hit you as you dashed], powers, and so on — you solely have to rely on the distance to save you. I believe this is a healthy change for the perk since the skill ceiling is higher for those who relied on the invincibility aspect and BHVR doesn't have to go through the trouble of making their servers top tier.

• NMCKE

9001IQ, DH 1.5 seconds before reaching the pallet / vault.

Pretty difficult to change DH. There's no easy solution.