Dbd isn't scary anymore :(

Options
NimaKh1
NimaKh1 Member Posts: 41

I'm not gonna ######### on the devs and tell them that their game is terrible, but the game itself just doesn't feel like a horror game anymore. The maps are too bright, and they care more about competitiveness instead of actual scare factor. Make the maps darker, add some fog, add creepy sfx, add more blood/gore, anything to make the game scarier and not just sweaty and competitive.

Comments

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,853
    Options

Sometimes I get those occasional jump scares from stealth killers but you’re right. The game isn’t horror anymore but that’s ok.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

I can agree when it comes to some map reworks.

But like others pointed out, scary factor wears off after some time especially in a game like this that is not that rich in atmosphere and "content" to begin with.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    Options

The players make it sweaty and competitive more so than the devs do. It's a consequence of stale hyper optimized gameplay with a pretty low skill floor and ceiling.

Also the game is been out for 5 years. Anything that was scary has been seen a million times over by now. Myers used to be terrifying for me till about year 3 and then I'd played so much of him and against him that it just turned into a flowchart of breaking line of sight, sneaking to gens, ????, profit.

You also have to consider that alot of the sinister atmosphere you miss was more a product of the previous game engine and graphics being in general worse. The new engine and graphical overhauls to maps have made them even better at conveying dark intense spooky areas, but it's also made things have better lighting. Except RPD which needs to pay it's electric bill. Some of that map is so dark you can't see yourself, the survivors, scratch marks, the hook, a blendette having a smoke next to the hook. So the more progress made combined with the gameplay loop not changing means scary's off the table most of the time.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

I agree completely. It is something that, if I am not mistaken, I've mentioned on other threads.

Current maps are very bad when it comes to this department, especially Coldwind Farm. Honestly, 2016/2017 maps were the best ones ever and it is sad to see their current state.

As for creepy sound effects, there used to be one which I really enjoyed. I don't know its name, but you used to hear it when inside of an Exit Gate and randomly during the trial.

• theplaggg
    theplaggg Member Posts: 267
    Options

The occasional jumpscares are the only scary thing in Dbd. The game used to be scary when you started playing but there really isn't anything to fear or be afraid of anymore.

Seems like the horror parts became less important.

• ClumsyTrapper
    ClumsyTrapper Member Posts: 544
    Options

Idk my adrenaline spikes Everytime I get caught by an invisible edge

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited July 2021
    Options

It can't be, fear comes from the unknown and once you know something it doesn't scare you. That's not to say that "horror" isn't a great theme, though.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,694
    Options

Yeah I'd have to agree. This stopped being a horror game a long time ago. 😕

• GeneralV
    Options

One of the countless reasons why I absolutely despise this killer.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,694
    Options
  • BlackRabies
    BlackRabies Member Posts: 868
    Options

Playing any horror game it loses all is fear factor after playing it enough. My first several DBD games I remember playing it was really scary then after a month just wasn't scary at all any more.

Not just DBD many other horror franchise have the same problem Dead Space probably best example first game was terrifying cause it was new. Second game also great, but a little predictable. Third game really notice it being more action than horror since since everyone knows what to expect so can't get that same fear factor first 2 had.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,179
    Options

God Dead Space really takes me back. I remember I was doing impossible mode, being super careful about everything. Then you notice that the necromorphs ONLY travel through vents... and uh.. you just run in and out of the room and shoot them in the back.

• GeneralV
    Options

Don't even remind me of its existence.

Like I said after some time the game won't be scary as it was when you started playing, but there is a very clear difference between having a creepy and eerie aesthetic and not having it at all.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2021
    Options

Was it ever scary tho?

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Its still scary when grinding for perks in bloodweb and being ######### by RNG hard. Scariest ######### ever imo

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

First run of Dead Space? Literally screaming running to the elevator and needing to catch my breath irl, somehow.

Second play through? Treat the Necromorph like a DBD killer and bag in front of it.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

You can make maps for atmospheric. But it's a pvp game, the scare factor wears off inevitably.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,101
    Options

Damn I wanted to bring the same example XD

I for example am a big scaredy cat and normally don't like horror but i loved the atmosphere from the first two dead space games (never played the third after seeing part of a let's play and it seems like having devolved into a pure third person shooter).

But after playing it for the umpteenth time even that lost its thrill. I still enjoy the atmosphere but damn if it isn't really scary anymore (maybe the return to the ship in the second game still XD).

• Luciferr_2nd
    Luciferr_2nd Member Posts: 911
    Options

Yeah... With cosmetics like bunnies and killers like Trickster lol its hard to feel the horror element consistently but thats alright.

Im content with the occasional jumpscares from stealth killers and stuff like a Bubba with tinkerer, theyre always fun haha

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

It's kinda funny cause people told BHVR that horror games weren't a good market

So BHVR did a big brain play and made a horror game that isn't really a horror game

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981
    Options

I think this is not true at a general level.

Horror comes from your immersion into the game. You can play Outlast as a running game or Silent Hill as a speed run and it will loose all of its feeling. Same for DbD: If you play it to bully a Killer or something like that, it will loose its horror feeling.

Bright maps are not the problem. Bright places can be scary too as they appeal to a different kind of horror. For me those maps, especialy Tompson House and Raccoon City are a huge step up in the horror aspect. Just using darkness and fog is lazy horror the same kind they do in movies where everything is a jump scare.

Darkness has its place but just because it is bright does not mean it is less scary. Most of it comes from immersion.

• Ulfberto
    Ulfberto Member Posts: 29
    Options

its def scary when you play as killer in red ranks. I get very anxious and scared when im waiting in the lobby as killer.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,638
    Options

The true horror comes from picking open handed, bond and kindred as a solo survivor and observing the behavior of your "team"

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

That's because you figured out the mechanics.

That's how almost every horror game works. RE2make is a perfect example. Once you figure out the ins and outs of optimising ammo use and dodging zombies it becomes less of a horror game and more of an obstacle course.

• GeneralV
    Options

If it comes from your immersion, the game could at least provide you the resources. And currently, it doesn't do that anymore.

• Edilibs
    Edilibs Member Posts: 699
    Options

If your not really tryna survive than its not scary but if you actually care about the games your in you'll certain feel tension if not full out scariedness. I played this game for 3 years and still get jumpscared by Myers, Ghostface, Pig and in rarer cases Tinkerer, Trail Of Torment and Insidious users

• femotek820
    femotek820 Member Posts: 119
    Options

you can’t be scary if you know the killer is probably under the hooked surv. And that’s happens too often

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,127
    Options

It's not going to stay scary forever. You will eventually get used to any "scary" element they could put in the game.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981
    Options

I think that is a very personal matter.

For me and my friends the game does retain its horror feeling. However we do not play it "to win". Sure we play to escape but we also play it for the immersion.

And yet people complain about Huntress, Deathslinger and Trickster who do just that. Its kinda funny.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,205
    Options

Many of the reworked maps are already really dark. The problem are ppl playing on 'low' settings and/or using filters. When you hit xxx hours, it's not a horror game anymore, it's just about the chase or beeing chased. I think everyone who played it for a long time misses when we played super immersive.

• Razorbeam
    Razorbeam Member Posts: 594
    Options

Dbd is a great horror game for the first week, maybe two and then it loses all horror aspect and becomes a great manhunt game, you just can't interact with a horror element over and over again without it becoming normalized. Alien 1 and Alien 2 were both amazing movies and that's kinda how I view both sides of Dbd.

Ps. Xenomorph killer when

• Cutiaddu
    Cutiaddu Member Posts: 402
    Options

That's true, new reworked maps ######### sucks, they don't help with the horror atmosphere

• AlohaSnacBar
    AlohaSnacBar Member Posts: 64
    Options

The only thing scary about this game is when the "devs" we will call them. Create an update because it about to be hell.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Options

It's a horror comedy

• Kasamsky
    Kasamsky Member Posts: 264
    Options

I don't think DbD was ever meant to be "scary"? I mean it's just a "hide and seek" game with a horror theme.

The only thing i don't like is the lack of respect or fear for a killer, so most people rather finish that one gen right in the killers face because Gens > Hooks. But honestly i don't think there is a way to fix that without changing the identity of the game.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

i mean, go play any horror game for like 2.000 hours and i guarantee you it wont be able to scare you anymore either.

we are usually scared of the unknown, so once that factor is ruled out there isnt a whole lot left to scare us anymore, which is exactly why DbD cant maintain the scare factor it had on us when we never heard of it before and just played it for the first time.

• KeiOrtem
    KeiOrtem Member Posts: 252
    Options

*squints while playing on the RPD map because its so damn dark*

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456
    Options

It never was scary past the first 10 games tho.

• Ghost077
    Ghost077 Member Posts: 713
    Options

A couple of years ago, gens finish in face of killer less often. Genrush not was so simple.

You can be afraid of at least in-game death, that the match will be over for you. This can make at least behave more adequately and realistically in game. It could also have been provided by more amount of visual emotion of fear among survivors. Like rapid and intermittent breathing, thrill, crying, screams of horror. But devs may simply be afraid to give the game a too realistic touch.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893
    Options

I give it a year before they have to change the rating down to Teen from MA to accompany the campiness of the game.

• GeneralV
    Options