Small Game VS Detective's Hunch VS Counterforce

R1ch4rd_N1x0n
R1ch4rd_N1x0n Member Posts: 1,731
edited July 2021 in General Discussions

Small Game tells you when you're facing a totem within a quite short range. Detective's Hunch reveals all totems within 64 meters for 10 seconds when a generator is repaired. Counterforce reveals the aura of the furthest totem from you when you cleanse one, and also gives you extra cleansing speed.

Small Game and Counterforce in my opinion waste too much time. Small Game doesn't reveal the exact location of the totem, and makes you waste too much time trying to find exactly where it is. Plus, it's range is very small, you might not even come that close to the totems. Counterforce reveals the totem that's furthest from you, resulting in you wasting lots of time running back and forth across the map to break the totems.

In my opinion, the best is Detective's Hunch. Detective's Hunch is much more reliable, as 64 meters is HUGE, and it reveals the actual aura of the totems, for quite some time. To make it even better, if you have a map, the totems get added to the map. Even if it's just a regular map with no addons! It doesn't waste too much time either, there's 5 totems and 5 gens. Even without a map, at minimum, you can run to cleanse 1 once per gen completed. With this perk you can get all totems broken very fast, when used properly.

Which of these do you think is the best totem hunting perk? Agree or disagree with me?

Comments

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,499
    edited July 2021

Detectives hunch is busted if you know how to use it. I easily find all totems depending on the map by going to one side of the map then to the other. Then always just use a green map to show me whatever totems where shown. Noed never been a problem when im alive lol. Counterforce im not running from side to side 5 times. Small game is decent and has no requirement. But it isnt direct and sometimes totems are so hidden it doesn't even help me.

• HellraisingPredator
    HellraisingPredator Member Posts: 75

Detective's Hunch > Small Game > Counterforce.

• ccactus623
    ccactus623 Member Posts: 214

Detectives is better than both of them combined, it also shows gens and chests it is super valuable on indoor maps and even can stop a three gen.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Small game is free and works without having to do gens so for inner strenght builds it's just more concistant

Detective hunch gives you the largest amount of information and is best for finding hex totems

Counterforce is for the players who already have a good understanding of where the totems spawn and want to get rid of them as fast as possible

So small game for beginners

Detective hunch for avarage players

Counterforce for the best of them

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n

I have 1,800 hours in the game but I prefer Detective's Hunch.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298

As long as you know all the totem spawns, Small Game seems to be the most efficient - just like whispers, it saves time you would have otherwise spent on going inside tiles / corners to check the spots. If I'm playing solo, totem counter is sometimes rather helpful as well.

Counterforce is the worst out of these 3 perks regardless of you experience / map knowledge.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I find detectives hunch better then the others due to how efficient detectives hunch is.

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171

Yeah I like counterforce because of the cleansing speed. No one says you have to waste time going back and forth just remember where the ######### totem is. That cleansing speed comes in clutch especially when the killer has thana and devour and it's not found out till someone is one shot.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

Does the totem aura from CF get added to maps the same as with detectives?

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n

As far as I know, no. Counterforce doesn't mention anything about maps in it's description.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210

Still prefer Dectives Hunch + Inner. Really strong in the right hands.

• Cancan71
    Cancan71 Member Posts: 709

I actually like Counterforce. I feel like the perk works best if you treat totems as a side objective rather than try to cleanse them as fast as possible. What I do is rather than go for the highlighted totem straight away, I keep in mind where the totem is as it's likely I'll be in that area of the map later on. You also don't have to go for the highlighted totems in order if you have an idea of where totems spawn, especially in a map with lots of generic tiles. Plus, since the perk highlights the furthest totem, you can ignore the parts of the map that are further than the totem. The cleansing speed boost also is handy and can come in clutch, like when you are cleansing a NOED near a killer.

I also like Detective's Hunch as well as you can see all totems near you for longer, even if you don't cleanse faster. I feel like both Detective's and Counterforce are both good perks depending on your playstyle. I feel like Small Game is a little worse as it doesn't show gens like Detective's or cleanse faster like Counterforce, but it's still a good perk.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,846

I like small game, simply because I have a pretty good idea where totems CAN spawn, so if I am in the area I'll quickly look in that direction and if small game lights up I'll go cleanse otherwise I'll move on

I know detective's hunch is technically better but I am not a fan of using maps and without one detective's hunch is not as useful

• ringwinning
    ringwinning Member Posts: 552

I am a huge advocate for Detective's Hunch ... but now Small Game has a counter which is extremely useful so I've been using that instead.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n

With Detective's Hunch you don't really need a counter. If you break 4 totems, but you never see the 5th one with the perk, it likely means someone else broke it, as the range is massive. You can usually tell if they're all gone.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

DsH is amazing for its versatility and I tend to use it whenever a new map is released to learn the new spawn points faster.

SG is actually amazing bc it doesn't require activation. In the matches where the killer puts a lot of pressure from the very beginning, it can be a game-changer to find Ruin fast and stand a chance.

Counterforce is the least useful IMO. The aura is revealed for too little time and it should be increased to something like 10 seconds to be useful.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

Small Game for solo q.

Detective's for swf.

Counterforce for Thrill of the Hunt.

• GenJockeyNance
    GenJockeyNance Member Posts: 687

Detective's AND Counterforce - BAM! Say goodbye to your Devour Hope xo

Just having to choose one tho it'd definitely be Detective's.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

The easiest way to learn totem spots is to play killer and use totem perks. You'll get PTSD running over to your totem spawn just to hear a loud explosion game after game, so when you're finally playing survivor you'll just recall these events and know oh yeah a totem spawns there.

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250

Agree. Whenever I see Noed complaints I point to Detectives Hunch. It is a very strong perk and the best in its class.

Paired with Counterforce you become and unstoppable totem destroyer. I love being the totem hunter and those are my go to!

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n

I feel like it's a waste to run 2 perks that revolve around totems tbh. Which is the reason I posted this thread comparing the 3.

• GenJockeyNance
    GenJockeyNance Member Posts: 687

True but it can be quite good in SWF if you're assigned the totem hunter role of the group if that's the way the swf rolls.

In solo, I'll run both Detective's and Counterforce if I just feel like totem hunting but for a single slot, just Detective's. I also like seeing where chests are if I'm injured hoping there's a medkit or seeing the gens to avoid 3 genning. :)