Why Friday the 13th is better than DBD

Ignore my username because I’m starting to regret it. In my opinion, DBD would be absolutely ######### if F13 kept going and there was no lawsuit. DBD has no competition, and it’s bad. Friday the 13th feels balanced. I don’t know why but it just feels right. Dead By Daylight just feels like ######### 90% of the time. The killers feel absolute ######### and the survivors feel like the actual killers. Survivors be ducking, dodging, 360s, slamming pallets on your head like it a piece of cake. The killer is supposed to strike fear, worry and panic. Now a days people hear the killer and they laugh; smile and sometimes even WANT the killer after them. Do you realize that? The survivors have gotten so advanced in the game to the point it is unfair. I’m starting to think of leaving Dead By Daylight behind and just keep playing F13. In F13 the Killer just feels right! Counselors have an advantage to fight back with weapons (not jukes and #########) and Jason has abilities that make him powerful. It just works in the end. Sometimes loosing Jason or just running from him is just… you feel helpless. You only have so much stamina. It just works.

Comments

• Satelit
    Satelit Member Posts: 1,377

1 thing I really liked about F13 is that outplaying Jason feels a lot more satisfying.The community is really bad tho,I once ran this Jason around a picnic table until the game ended and he called me a hacker.

• Leon_Loves_Cheryl
    Leon_Loves_Cheryl Member Posts: 41

I think both games are good enough in their own ways that trying to set up an argument for one being objectively better than the other is just doomed to fail.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497

I mean if it kept getting updates I would agree with you 100%, the fun factor was off the scales in that game but sadly the lawsuit killed the game. It's really a shame because man it sure was fun.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,370

F13 became worse than dbd the second they buffed rage, it wasn't that hard to just avoid stuns. At least dbd doesn't hand feed you kills when you play poorly.

• lucid4444
    lucid4444 Member Posts: 682

Jason can literally teleport to you and insta kill you, without you being able to do anything. And you say that's balanced, more than DBD where everyone complains about spirit? lol

F13 is only good for role playing or messing around because of the local mic comms.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Yes, more f13 love!

But I agree, if the lawsuit never happened i think it would be the only competition bhvr has ever had still.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

I tried to get into FT13th but the thing that put me off was 2 fold.

1: The sheer amount of DCers when they found out they weren't playing as Jason.

2: If you got killed early you were forced to stick around and watch other people play the game. If you left before the match ended you lost any exp.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,617

F13 was a very good game while it lasted, and I had tons of fun with it.

However, I think it only beats DBD if you take the modern, 2021 DBD into consideration. Old DBD was a thousand times better than F13, on every single aspect.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Been playing it since the performance drop from re chapter. It has its issues, but they treat Jason as a legitimate. Engaging him is suicidal unless you time it while he is occupied. Forcing the counselors to ration stamina and minimize attention/noise was a great idea to counter-balance the rush to escape.

Biggest drawback for me is how limited Jason's load outs are.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

i enjoyed the flow of the game more as a survivor. Every dbd match feels like you're spawning at the Phone House. Friday doesn't feel so intense right out of the gate. I can at least maintain the illusion that I'll have a good match for a couple minutes as I collect pocket knives+health sprays.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,358

I loved F13 while it lasted. One of the best things about F13 was local comms and the many ways to escape. It really puts you on edge to try to find all the items and try to kill Jason...always thought that game nailed the fear factor in a horror game. Darn shame things turned out the way they did.

• alex9er
    alex9er Member Posts: 96

Dodging his grab is fairly easy especially with characters that have high movement speed.

• lauraa

I hate to admit it, but more than once I've teamed up with a survivor to plan a car escape but turns out it was Jason the whole time bamboozling me.

Also, hiding under a bed when Jason is searching around the house and you have the urge to sneeze. I was too scared to even mute my headset in the chance that the subtle white noise of my headset muting would give me away.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

No, most people on PC stopped playing it. Console had a thriving community.

• thrawn3054
  • lauraa

Yup. They even released F13 on Games with Gold one October, which really helped breathe some life into the game.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

What makes console players so fundamentally different from PC players that they kept playing F13th?

• PhantomChimera
    PhantomChimera Member Posts: 668

I have played both games and Friday The 13th was just plain bland compared to Dead By Daylight.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Console gave it away for free. It's the only reason I picked it up while still playing DBD. Wasn't worth buying but makes for a great freebie.

• Fnatic47
    Fnatic47 Member Posts: 396

Wow.. nobody is talking about the game Last Year xD

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

F13 still doesn't allow you to just pick Killer, right?

That restriction alone is enough to have me say no.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

The two things that F13 has that DbD won't give us is Jason and the ability to blow out the killers brains with a shotgun.

Flashbang perk should've been a survivor gun, just sayin.

• thrawn3054

From what I saw people left DbD for F13 and when they found it was extremely buggy they jumped right back to DbD. DbD also attracts a more competitive playerbase. At least I can say that nobody took the game too seriously.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

Not really, yeah, the initial hype was dying down, but a hype dying down doesnt mean the game is dying. F13 was adding mechanics to the game, added a solo player mode to essentially have the movie experience as a player, but they couldnt touch counselors for legal reasons, as part of the lawsuit was a claim that counselors were based on characters they didnt license.

F13 had a consistent audience, but when it needed new content the most, the lawsuit prevented it.

So it's not a myth. It might have been overhyped as there are mechanics in that make it a bit hard(Vanessa being almost impossible to catch, especially if they teamed up with Tommy), but for the sake of legal safety, they couldnt touch the game for a very long time. They did end up balancing the game a bit once there was more certainty, but by then, the popularity of the game died down enough for the damage to be pretty much permanent unless the game gets the freedom of the full F13 license.

• thrawn3054

You can do so in private matches. But no, not in public ones. You can select a preference which gives you a better chance. Also so people like me got bored of playing Jason and would only play counselor.

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636

Stop lying to yourself. F13 was absolutely horrible in every regard even before the lawsuit took off.

• PalletsAndHooks

It wasn't that bad. It has something different than the DbD experience and it never got the ongoing support and development that DbD also sorely needs.

In fact, if we compared DbD year 1 and year 2 to F13 in its current state, I'd say it's competitive and alot more fair of a comparison. DbD still has game breaking bugs, audio issues still amuck (try looking away from chests and supply cases before you open them), and validation checks need to be rolled back to day one.

I shouldn't be hit from behind a fully dropped pallet. Fully dropped.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976
    edited July 2021

I mean, the killer in DBD has a very different purpose than Jason in F13 due to the difference in power system:

1. you know the killer will always be Jason, you even know which version of Jason it will be before you spawn, and all Jason's have the same abilities, just different values for those abilities.
    2. you never have to worry for the actions of your teammates. Your teammates' actions dont decrease your chances of escaping.
    3. DBD, you have no clue who the killer is, therefor, the killer can never be too powerful. If the killer was known to the lobby beforehand, the lobby can equip perks that are effective against that specific killer.
    4. In F13, the maps are MASSIVE. Jason is effective because the maps are so danm massive in the first place. DBD maps are tiny in comparison. The main house of Camp Crystal lake and it's surroundings is pretty much the size of Dead Dawg Saloon, and that's only 15% of the map. So yeah, make DBD maps 6 times bigger as they are now, then killers can be made stronger, but survivors will also need to be made stronger(survivors in F13 also have many more capabilities).

You're comparing apples with oranges and expecting to determine which one of the 2 is the better banana.

• xBEATDOWNSx
    xBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 636

F13 was a boring, repetitive mess that was riddled with bugs from the jump. Between horrendous graphics, awful character models and animations, the game was plagued with pop in, frame drops, and wonky mechanics that are never explained. The RPG mechanics given to each survivor or Jason type never really felt impactful or even different from each other. As someone who is obsessed with horror movies and slashers in particular, F13 was not simply not good.

Listen I know the forums are where people like to bash DBD and their devs but F13 freaking sucked and there's a very solid reason it's player base died very quickly (even before the lawsuit and lack of future updates.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

I'm not lying the game was genuinely entertaining to me

• PalletsAndHooks

This game has been a repetitive mess that's riddled with bugs since before I got on board between year 2 and 3. And they keep tweaking stuff, because the community is part of the devs team and QA has either failed or being held hostage.

Watch this video and tell me with a straight face that this game is not effectively the same as F13 regarding bugs and bull-manure

• Jarol
    Jarol Member Posts: 1,985

The game was fun, it was well balanced but it depended more on what kind of Jason you were up against, you had to be lucky to have knives to not die or be Tommy. I never saw much toxicity in F13th but currently the game is abandoned and full of hackers, now with F13th Definitive it seems to be entertaining although I have not tried it.

(I always hated Vanessa, like I hate Vanessa)

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

For me I prefer DBD because every killer is different and you can choose your role.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

The game at first had team killing which resulted in toxic teammates

• Jarol
    Jarol Member Posts: 1,985

I almost never noticed much toxicity in all games, only in some through voice chats listening to children: GRGJDngjJDJRJnv making fun of Jason, etc.

• thrawn3054

At release it made sense, everyone wanted to be Jason.

• BigChapAlien21
    BigChapAlien21 Member Posts: 250

I think part of the issue that people seem to forget with these types of games - not just DBD - is the role of age it has on its player base. That is, more players are more experienced with the game, and information breaking down its tricks and most effective strategies is readily available. Yes, it would be nice to change the game so it was scarier for the Survivors, but how do you combat the inevitable discovery of a meta and the usage of 3rd party communication software like Discord? You simply cannot. It's just the natural aging process of a game.

• ouroboros_world
    ouroboros_world Member Posts: 215

I find f13 better than dbd, being able to stun Jason with a bat when your cornered is really fun, hearing my teammates getting killed by Jason on the Walkie talkie is terrifying, hearing your counselor scream when they see dead bodies and you the fear meter start to build up so you need to find a house with light to calm yourself before Jason killer instinct kicks in.

I even remember when counselor was able to teamkill each other and playing as Jason was usually a short game. Everyone run to the shotgun in the big house and shoot each other or stab each other. Now you can only run people over with cars but it still toxic lol

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334
    edited July 2021

Not sure if someone else responded to you or not but you can set your spawn preference as Jason. If everyone else has their preference set as Default or Counselor, you're going to be Jason 100%. If other players also had a Jason spawn preference that is what lowered your odds.

I preferred it this way though, no side to que in to so no long que times. I found full lobbies of 8 players in less then a minute consistently.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I want my chance to be Killer 100% all the time though.

Glad to hear F13 lobbies didn't suck, but my lobby times in DbD are great too, i can find a game in the evening in 20 seconds.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Because matches last longer than six minutes.