I want to clear something about stretched res

luka2211
luka2211 Member Posts: 1,433

So I recently played against a streamer who accused me of using stretched. He was not wrong. He kept saying that I was decent but that i'd go down quicker without it. The whole chase was around maze tiles with walls on MACMILLAN where I can't see over like autohaven for example.

He still kept saying that it helped but it literally doesn't do anything for you when you aren't on any open tiles(it does help but not on wall tiles is what I'm trying to say). Besides I only run 1440x1080. The streamer in question literally blocked me on steam from who knows ago cause I used stretched even though I only started using it recently and never remember playing against him. Other than that he said the red stain is bigger which is true,BUT EVERYTHING IS MORE STRETCHED. Walls are bigger,trees are bigger,killer himself is bigger,survivor is bigger,everything grows in correlation with the res.

It does nothing for the stain cause it makes everything bigger. Only thing it does is help you see over certain tiles better. Just wanted to clear out the stain thing and anything else if someone thought of it wrongly. Also I kinda wanted to vent,cause a person thought I was good only cause of my display resolution.

Comments

• luka2211

Cause people keep saying it gives some dumb stuff like bigger stain or that you can magically see over any wall in the game. Some don't even know it only gives vertical fov,they think you can see around walls more. In short,people say it gives more advantages then it does,just that. And i felt the need to vent a bit.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261

Yeah of course.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

That's nothing, I've seen someone asking how to change their res from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 get pounced and called a cheater!

... when both are 16:9 resolutions and there would be absolutely no stretching, the only difference would be lower graphical fidelity and improved performance 🤔

• RiskyKara
    RiskyKara Member Posts: 804

I mean it honestly feels like a balance. You lose horizontal FOV for vertical FOV. Being able to see at the sides of your vision is so important as prey that most prey animals dominate in peripheral vision. You trade the ability to loop for the ability to have more situational awareness overall.

• luka2211

Didn't say it does nothing,in fact I did say it helps on open loops. Read again,all I'm saying is it doesn't help on loops with walls,exception being autohaven cause of the low walls.

• luka2211

It only helps on autohaven walls tho from what I've seen,the rock part is defo true can't say anything bout it. That's why I said it helps on open loops,I meant filler pallets. My mistake.

• luka2211

Made this post with this exact reasoning to see these comments occur. If it was cheating I'm pretty sure devs could patch it,considering if you try going the other way around with changing it and trying to get horizontal fov for example it actually makes ur view smaller. Why haven't they done the same thing with stretched?

• luka2211

Same thing I said to the other guy,If you try to change ur res to get the horizontal fov going the other way around,the game closes ur view and doesn't let the screen compress to give you advantage. Why haven't they done the same thing with stretched?

• luka2211

I mean it's personal preference isn't it? For some people it might actually look better. Like the ppl that play 1600x1080,just a bit stretched but they like it way more than 1920x1080. And then there's 900x1080 which I saw in comp vids which was vomit inducing.

• luka2211

Did you even read the post? I used it but it had no use on those loops. I didn't play rock pallets but wall tiles on macmillan. Like tl walls and pallet gyms/jungle gyms. The whole connected midsection. He blamed me for false misgivings like "bigger stain" which I said is all false in the post.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

Well, thing is, he is fully in his right to be mad. Just as you can be fully be in your right to be mad at killers that massively increase their gamma settings to spot a blendette urban evading near a bush across the map.

It's not considered cheating by the devs, purely because minor stretched res actually helps in performance, but it is taking a very thin line between exploiting a setting to your own advantage and needing to use a setting for better performance.

Similar things could be said for certain colorblind settings if you're not actually colorblind. As some settings make blood slightly easier to see.

I am quite certain that at a certain threshold the devs do take action. Not sure what the threshold is, and I dont think they will ever state it out loud as it gives players a "safe" res to abuse in their favor.

• Loner
    Loner Member Posts: 139

Wait it isn't cheating cause devs said it helps in performance? Never heard them say that. If they did,I stand corrected.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

please tell me you didn't go digging all the way back to find that it must've taken ages

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709
    edited July 2021

I remembered you did such a post and googled.

i am pretty good at googling stuff :)

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

ok thats fair

im glad you didnt go through like 2k posts though

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Nah, it was literally the first Google result from my first search attempt :) but then again, going through your posts would result in me seeing many many cute cows and other animals. So it wouldn’t even have been that bad

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

I think you're misinterpreting my comment. This is they key wording that I added: "purely because minor stretched res actually helps in performance"

At what setting do you decide it's cheating when even minor stretched res is an advantage? Even if the advantage is practically negligable? At what point do you decide it's a bannable offense, when there are programs increasing gamma that are far more beneficial than minor stretched res, but less beneficial than heavy stretched res?

The devs do consider stretched res to be cheating, but they cannot really set a solid standard, because if they do, everyone would just keep the settings exactly the maximum allowed stretched res.

Hence, they dont consider it cheating to be using stretched res because that would include minor stretched res that is far less beneficial than increased gamma, while also aiding performance, but they do consider it cheating when used to gain an advantage. This is why they cannot declare the use of stretched res to be cheating.

That's like declaring clicking ctrl 100 times per second to spam crouch cheating, because clicking it 10000 times per second causes you to fly. You cannot declare clicking ctrl to be cheating untill it hits a point where you start flying. Then you also have to be able to declare that they spammed it for the sake of flying, rather than just spamming crouch to taunt. So in this case, having stretched res used as an advantage would be like clicking ctrl 10000 times on purpose, at which point it's cheating. But use it slightly less or accidentally set it to too stretched, and it's not.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,233

Devs have already stated that stretched res is an exploit since it also increases fov for some reason. It will be fixed eventually.

• HollowsGrief
    HollowsGrief Member Posts: 1,497

Imagine needing extra FOV instead of being able to win a mind game every once in a while. KEKW

• Clowning
    Clowning Member Posts: 886

Pathetic.

• CornHub
    CornHub Member Posts: 1,864

How many advantages do you need in this hide-and-seek game?

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052

The real thing that needs to be cleared up is that it's not a mod lol

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

Gross, idc if it's the smallest benefit, using it period on top of the bright ass filters makes the player hot garbage and loses respect.

Why can't you play it as intended?

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

I only have two things to say about it:

1) The Devs should’ve programmed their game to not allow for stretched res, regardless of performance. If you can’t run the game on a normal resolution, you shouldn’t be playing.

2) That being said, if you use stretched res you ARE giving yourself an unintended unfair advantage and there’s ZERO defense for it. Doesn’t matter if your primary goal is increased performance.