Why are the Racoon police department and midwich maps so confusing and frustrating? ...

Options
Newtton
Newtton Member Posts: 42

Easy, they are maps inspired by survival horror games, these maps were originally designed to be confusing and to be traversed over and over again to unlock all areas and objects, are these maps good for an asymmetrical game? Of course, if for something it is an asymmetrical game, someone has to be at a disadvantage after all, even if they are both roles.

What do you think? I think that with time we will get used to the RPD

Comments

• DeadByDedicated
    DeadByDedicated Member Posts: 134
    Options

I think one of the main issues that caused RPD to be confusing was that the period where the map appears more often got cut short and the map was disabled. This left a ton of people inexperienced with the map and when it got re-added, the offering was still disabled so a ton of people couldn't play it that often.

• gammatsunami
    gammatsunami Member Posts: 545
    edited July 2021
    Options

Because RPD isnt a map, its a game. They literally just copy and pasted a map and put some pallets / gens on it.

The game was designed for lickers, zombies, mr x to be around on it, not 1 killer. Midwich is fine tho imo I actually like it.

• Newtton
    Newtton Member Posts: 42
    Options
  • gammatsunami
    gammatsunami Member Posts: 545
    Options

Thats what im saying. Its not a map, they copied an entire game and called it a map.

• Alionis
    Alionis Member Posts: 971
    Options

Sorry, but that's just not true. The RPD is only one out of several maps present in RE2. The devs only copied the first and second floor, cutting the basement and third floor. Then they added outdoor areas that aren't present in RE2, moved some rooms, added a bunch of new doorways, heck even an entire staircase that doesn't exist in RE2.

That's definitely not copying an entire game.

• MrCrazyCat62
    MrCrazyCat62 Member Posts: 168
    Options

Midwhich is easy to learn after a few games. Rcpd on the another hand has too many dead-ends , and tiny side rooms to be in a game like this.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201
    Options

There is no map nearly as confusing as rpd. Doors and walls in places that don't even form a sensible environment of any sort. Good map for hiding and watching your team die apparently bc that's all the survivors are doing.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,976
    Options

I think Midwich is a great map, RPD is literally miserable for Billy and Blight though.

• eric_alrasid17
    eric_alrasid17 Member Posts: 119
    Options

Midwich is fine, RPD is disaster

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

Because the maps were created for nostalgia, not for DbD.

• crims0nrider
    crims0nrider Member Posts: 11
    Options

This map(RPD) should be deleted, paradise for killers

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

What people said:

the RE map is too loyal to its originals. Sure, you have your vaults etc, but overall it's just to much of a maze.

Midwich is confusing, but not nearly as much as RCPD.

mainly cause midwich, is smaller with more space. there are no realy tiny nooks and crannies on midwich, and hooks are easy to get to. You won't have it that a hook is 'next' to you behind a wall and you have to go over half the map to get to it on midwich. if a hook is 'next to you' a doorway leading there is close by.

Also, no secrets on RCPD.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

Midwich is a blessing compared to RPD.

Even as someone who has played RE 2, I find it horrible for DBD.

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245
    Options

I don't find Midwich confusing at all. I find Hawkin's more confusing than Midwich.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

I'm of the opposite kinda....I have way more fun on the RPD map (I guess being a RE veteran helps) and even if I get a little turned around, I can find my way back.....

Midwich on the other hand can burn in the trash fire it belongs in. I get turned around way too much as Killer, and the FOV + Performance issues have me easily bumping into walls & corners. I also outright hate the design of it as it being mostly large hallways with an annoying way to traverse the top & bottom floors. It is easily my least favorite map, let alone indoor map.

• BabuDweet
    BabuDweet Member Posts: 556
    Options

I actually used to hate Midwich but I got it so much in rotation the last 2 months that it's actually grown on me and I really don't mind it. Dare I say it might now be my favourite inside map for survivor, which I never thought I would say.

Rpd is literally trash when it comes to actual playable mechanics. I don't care if it's for nostalgia or whatever else, it's absolutely horrible to play on either side. I'm not an re fan so I really don't care about that franchise and I would of preferred a playable map rather than one that looks good and that fans of the franchise wanted.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

Excuse me? It's a literal hellscape for killers. The only killers that can try to make it work are stealth killers, and that's ONLY if they force a three gen situation. It's actually a more survivor sided map. The size alone is the best defense.

• BabuDweet
    Options

Completely agree with you, how crimson thinks it's good for killers is actually insane to me. Certain killers, yes. Most killers? Hell no.

• Alionis
    Options

Neither map is confusing. Once you learn the general layout, thanks to them being far less RNG-dependent than other indoor maps, navigating them is quite simple.

• BabuDweet
    Options
  • alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 646
    Options

I think RPD is too far. I have detectives hunch and BHVR has made totems so hard to see, and that map is shrouded in complete darkness in a lot of places, that I have played that map three times now and have never seen or popped a totem on it. I also can't find gens but I assume with more play, you just start to remember where they generally spawn, so that problem will just work itself out.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

While you’ll learn the map layouts it’s still hard to get around. They eliminate the usefulness of some killers powers. You have to navigate a billion rooms to reach the gen which you still might not be able to reach in time. Because once again copy and pasted entirely different game onto this one. And hard to balance because it’s not original. Hence the poor designs. Midwich is small enough to get over RPD is two Red Forests on top of each other. With the hard navigation of an indoor map.

• ChantyBoi
    ChantyBoi Member Posts: 179
    Options

I can't speak for midwich because I don't find that map confusing but I can tell you RPD. RPD is confusing and maze like because it was yanked directly from a completely different game and unceremoniously slapped down in to this one. In RE2/RE3 RPD is SUPPOSED to be this big maze because it's meant for a multiple hour play time not a 10 minute match of dead by daylight. It's from an entirely different game and wasn't edited at all to fit this one.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

Midwich isn’t that confusing once you play it a few times. It’s a big square with the courtyard in the middle, rooms coming off the outside edges and two floors. It seems more confusing than it is once you realise how it’s laid out.

RCPD on the other hand is a maze of small hallways, dead ends and tiny rooms. It’s good map design for a single player horror game, horrible map design for this kind of game.

• Alionis
    Options

I admit that it's easier learning to navigate the RPD after having played RE2 when the chapter was announced, but anyone can learn the layout. The locations are nearly identical and maps are readily available.

• CrowVortex
    CrowVortex Member Posts: 949
    Options

I've played RPD like 4-5 times now and i still don't know how to get to the basement, just run into dead ends on corridors or out into the open that loops around to the other side. Hatch is inconsistent too, can literally spawn on multiple floors.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531
    Options
  • HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,994
    Options

Midwich isn't confusing

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

I mean, maybe against a sweaty SWF. Every time I've gotten RPD in solo queue, my team just can't find gens. People get lost on the way to the unhook so I often go 2nd stage for free. Just my experience so far.

• BabuDweet
    Options

You just strike me as one of those people in the community who acts like someone having an opinion is just them being immature but you're the immature one for trying to stir up some tension for no reason it seems.

Seen your reply on another post and it literally just was being immature and of no help at all.

Don't be that person bro.