Where's the Optimization Patch?

AntiJelly
AntiJelly Member Posts: 1,155
edited December 2018 in General Discussions

Is there going to be a separate patch coming out before the end of December as the "Optimization Patch"? I've been waiting a long time for it, since I play on console. Playing killer is nice and all, but playing killer with over 30 fps? That's NICE! Just wondering.

EDIT2:
The Answer, so far? It's not coming. We'll be seeing it in chunks, I assume.

Post edited by AntiJelly on

Comments

• Easylife
    Easylife Member Posts: 163

Ask them on today's dev stream, I know I will be doing so too.
    Hopefully we get some info and/or confirmation it's still comming in December as there's only a couple of weeks left.

• Najemniczkas
    Najemniczkas Member Posts: 88
    I believe some optimalization updates/hotfixes will be implemented with the event patch. Though it's justmy speculations
  • Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@AntiJelly said:
    Is there going to be a separate patch coming out before the end of December as the "Optimization Patch"? I've been waiting a long time for it, since I play on console. Playing killer is nice and all, but playing killer with over 30 fps? That's NICE! Just wondering.

Hey if you play Xbox, look out for me once the patch is out since there's a 70% chance I'll return to xbox. Also I'll be called SecretSp___x7 so look out for me

• Fictionalname
    Fictionalname Member Posts: 121

There's already an optimization patch it's called: Get a pc

• AntiJelly

@Poweas said:

@AntiJelly said:

Hey if you play Xbox, look out for me once the patch is out since there's a 70% chance I'll return to xbox. Also I'll be called SecretSp___x7 so look out for me

I do in fact play xbox. I'm one of the xbox veterans, been playing since dbd's release (on xbox). My GT is The Anti Jelly.

• Poweas

@AntiJelly said:

@Poweas said:

@AntiJelly said:

I do in fact play xbox. I'm one of the xbox veterans, been playing since dbd's release (on xbox). My GT is The Anti Jelly.

SecretSphinx7 for me.

• Poweas

@Poweas said:

@AntiJelly said:

@Poweas said:

@AntiJelly said:

SecretSphinx7 for me.

Been playing since 2 months after console release. Once the optimization patch has come, I'd love to SWF if ur down for it or play some KYF.

• AntiJelly

@Poweas said:

@Poweas said:

@AntiJelly said:

@Poweas said:

@AntiJelly said:

SecretSphinx7 for me.

Been playing since 2 months after console release. Once the optimization patch has come, I'd love to SWF if ur down for it or play some KYF.

Sure, 100%! I'm up for anything. Can't play killer anyways, rank one matchmaking takes like 15 minutes just to find 4 survivors.

• Poweas

@AntiJelly said:

@Poweas said:

@Poweas said:

@AntiJelly said:

@Poweas said:

@AntiJelly said:

SecretSphinx7 for me.

Sure, 100%! I'm up for anything. Can't play killer anyways, rank one matchmaking takes like 15 minutes just to find 4 survivors.

Highest I got as killer was rank 8 and highest I got as survivor was rank 2 I think then I went to PC. Once the patch is out tag me in this and remind me to add you. I live in the UK so if our times match up since I got uni and I'm sort of busy, then we'll do SWF^^

• Easylife
    Easylife Member Posts: 163
    edited December 2018

Just left the dev stream where they said that optimisation is a PASS (not a patch) and that it's... (wait for it) an "ongoing process" so I wouldn't hold your breath for a patch to fix the frame rate in the next 2 weeks of December.
    I don't want to complain too much because the unreal engine upgrade made the game run better for me (especially as killer) on Xbox One "X" for sure so I'll keep the faith... for now.
    We may see more improvements to performance in December or we may not, it's an "ongoing process" (the first of which was the unreal engine upgrade) so who knows when :)

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@AntiJelly said:

With the new engine, everything got even worse :smile:
    I am really curious whats gonna happen for midchapter

• AntiJelly

@Easylife said:
    Just left the dev stream where they said that optimisation is a PASS (not a patch) and that it's... (wait for it) an "ongoing process" so I wouldn't hold your breath for a patch to fix the frame rate in the next 2 weeks of December.
    I don't want to complain too much because the unreal engine upgrade made the game run better for me (especially as killer) on Xbox One "X" for sure so I'll keep the faith... for now.
    We may see more improvements to performance in December or we may not, it's an "ongoing process" (the first of which was the unreal engine upgrade) so who knows when :)

F

• AntiJelly

@Master said:

@AntiJelly said:

Well, sort of. Before the upgrade, fps was kind of all over the place. Now that they updated the engine, the fps is more consistent, buuuuut....it is definitely worse.

The problem is all the moving objects ie. grass, sparks, leaves, etc. It's bogging down the engine, especially since the entire map is consantly loaded for every player, it puts a lot of strain on GPU I think.

• Master

@AntiJelly said:

@Master said:

@AntiJelly said:

Well, sort of. Before the upgrade, fps was kind of all over the place. Now that they updated the engine, the fps is more consistent, buuuuut....it is definitely worse.

The problem is all the moving objects ie. grass, sparks, leaves, etc. It's bogging down the engine, especially since the entire map is consantly loaded for every player, it puts a lot of strain on GPU I think.

What we need are graphic settings

• Pizzaman
    Pizzaman Member Posts: 500

Along all the things they said, they also mentioned that the December Patch would be the foundation for an FPS optimization. I guess the Unreal engine version update was what they were referring to. That's done now and christmas & end of the year are getting closer (holiday season), so don't expect any major advances in the upcoming days or weeks.

• rafajsp
    rafajsp Member Posts: 475

@Fictionalname said:

Dumb answer and dumb reason.
    Why a console player will get a PC just to play a bad optimized game ? Cuz yeah every other game runs fine.

• rafajsp
    rafajsp Member Posts: 475

@AntiJelly said:

EDIT: I do remember watching that one stream a couple weeks ago where they said it was coming in December, and I am SUPER ULTRA crossing my fingers that it gets here because the new engine made consoles even worse! (mostly on killer)

Forget it, they "pass" as they said on twitch.
    "Pass not a Patch" said Mcote which means they passed on it cuz there is no term pass in development/gaming.

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340

Please stop posting ignorant things like this, not everyone is fortunate enough to pay $1000+ for a PC. 
  • ModernFable
    ModernFable Member Posts: 836
    rafajsp said:

@AntiJelly said:

EDIT: I do remember watching that one stream a couple weeks ago where they said it was coming in December, and I am SUPER ULTRA crossing my fingers that it gets here because the new engine made consoles even worse! (mostly on killer)

"Pass not a Patch" said Mcote which means they passed on it cuz there is no term pass in development/gaming.

I really hope some big patch comes.

For the last 6 months the game has been broken on console, getting worse each patch. And every time someone brought it up they said “there’s gonna be a big optimization patch in December, be patient.”

Now we're being told that it’s not a “patch”, while given some vague information on the road ahead.
  • AntiJelly

@ModernFable said:
    rafajsp said:

@AntiJelly said:

I really hope some big patch comes.

For the last 6 months the game has been broken on console, getting worse each patch. And every time someone brought it up they said “there’s gonna be a big optimization patch in December, be patient.”

Now we're being told that it’s not a “patch”, while given some vague information on the road ahead.

Yeah. Console's so bad there's a 15 minute wait time for killers at rank one, and console fps is between 15-30

• RuneStarr
    RuneStarr Member Posts: 850

According to this, it was due in December.

According to yesterdays Dev stream though?
    We aren't getting one. It'll be a "pass" instead of "patch" and it started with the engine update (even though that made it worse for a bunch of people lol).

Feeling like the redheaded stepchild over here in console land

• AntiJelly

@RuneStarr said:

We aren't getting one. It'll be a "pass" instead of "patch" and it started with the engine update (even though that made it worse for a bunch of people lol).

Yeah, idk why this keeps happening but the devs keep saying things in the stream, then taking it back THREE MONTHS LATER. It feels like deja vu every time something like this happens.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    RuneStarr said:

What does "pass" even mean in that context?
  • AntiJelly

@DwightsLifeMatters said:
    RuneStarr said:

Not sure. Can't find anything on what a "pass" means in videogame development terms. I think it's some codeword BHVR has.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    edited December 2018
    AntiJelly said:

RuneStarr said:

Not sure. Can't find anything on what a "pass" means in videogame development terms. I think it's some codeword BHVR has.

Hmm, seems to be literally just a simple pass as the word says it... Hopefully the delay of the optimisation patch isn't going to be very long (like months).
    It's not only needed for consoles, a lot of pc players are waiting for it urgently 
  • RuneStarr
    RuneStarr Member Posts: 850

RuneStarr said:

Pass (păs)
    v. passed, pass·ing, pass·es
    v.tr.
    To cause (the bowels) to evacuate.

Best definition I could find for what's happening to console players :lol:

But really, just seems like a cop out because they didn't actually have a team working on console optimization like promised, or they did but they didn't get enough accomplished in time for the promised big December patch.

• HarshOnion44
    HarshOnion44 Member Posts: 30
    AntiJelly said:

EDIT2:
    The Answer, so far? It's not coming. We'll be seeing it in chunks, I assume.

Playing on the Xbox One X. 60fps at all times. Unless I’m frenzy hitting with legion lol. 
  • ModernFable
    RuneStarr said:

Was this patch “the optimization patch” for console?

If not is it still coming in December?

@not_Queen

@Patricia

@MandyTalk
  • Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,940

The optimisation pass is an ongoing process. The first step is the Unreal Engine Update - which was the main "patch" , from now, optimization will be an ongoing process.

This was the information given in the Dev Stream this week.

• ModernFable
    MandyTalk said:

The optimisation pass is an ongoing process. The first step is the Unreal Engine Update - which was the main "patch" , from now, optimization will be an ongoing process.

Alright, thank you for the info.
  • Master

@Unicorn said:
    Fictionalname said:

Please stop posting ignorant things like this, not everyone is fortunate enough to pay $1000+ for a PC. 

You dont need a battlestation to run DBD, its really not that expensive :wink:

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Master said:

@Unicorn said:

Too true, but that myth helps keep consoles in the market, despite their obvious inferiority.

• Master

@Orion said:

@Master said:

@Unicorn said:

Too true, but that myth helps keep consoles in the market, despite their obvious inferiority.

I was so disgusted with the PS3 and its overheating issues that I never bought a console again after that :lol:

• ModernFable
    Master said:

@Unicorn said:
    Fictionalname said:

That may be so, but when it’s a game as poorly optimized as Dead by Daylight, even big rigs have a problem running it.
  • Unicorn
    Orion said:

@Master said:

@Unicorn said:

Its not really a myth. Pretty positive there is a great percentage of people on this forum that have consoles because its what they can afford including myself. Others just like consoles more, etc.
  • NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    MandyTalk said:

Honestly, I haven't lagged on my console and I would go as far as saying I had around 40 FPS. I thought the UE screwed everything up according to what everyone else was saying but I guess not for me.
  • Orion

@Unicorn said:
    Its not really a myth. Pretty positive there is a great percentage of people on this forum that have consoles because its what they can afford including myself. Others just like consoles more, etc.

It really is. You get more bang for your buck if you get a PC.

• Unicorn
    Orion said:

@Unicorn said:

It really is. You get more bang for your buck if you get a PC.

I understand that, but as I said earlier some people literally CANNOT afford to get a PC. You know nothing of someone elses living situations and if money is tight, it's not a myth.
  • Orion

@Unicorn said:
    I understand that, but as I said earlier some people literally CANNOT afford to get a PC. You know nothing of someone elses living situations and if money is tight, it's not a myth.

Here's the thing, though: a gaming computer, if you build one yourself and don't "shoot for the moon", can cost as little as a console. Furthermore, keep in mind that even if you buy a console, you will still need a computer for personal use, whereas if you buy a computer, you kill two birds with one stone.

If consoles really were better, don't you think people who know this stuff would buy them instead of spending a ton more money on a top-tier PC?

• Unicorn
    Orion said:

@Unicorn said:

Here's the thing, though: a gaming computer, if you build one yourself and don't "shoot for the moon", can cost as little as a console. Furthermore, keep in mind that even if you buy a console, you will still need a computer for personal use, whereas if you buy a computer, you kill two birds with one stone.

If consoles really were better, don't you think people who know this stuff would buy them instead of spending a ton more money on a top-tier PC?

Now you're on a whole different wave. I never said Consoles were better than PC's. I stated the simple FACT that they are and ALWAYS WILL BE more pricey than consoles. Idk where you got that from.

Now on the other hand, you're right. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a PC but, (and this is a legitimate question because I have never played on a PC) wouldn't buying a cheap gaming PC = Console quality? If so, whats the point? If not then please, fill me in on what I can search up to upgrade because I would love to look into it.
  • Orion
    edited December 2018

@Unicorn said:
    Now you're on a whole different wave. I never said Consoles were better than PC's. I stated the simple FACT that they are and ALWAYS WILL BE more pricey than consoles. Idk where you got that from.

Now on the other hand, you're right. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a PC but, (and this is a legitimate question because I have never played on a PC) wouldn't buying a cheap gaming PC = Console quality? If so, whats the point? If not then please, fill me in on what I can search up to upgrade because I would love to look into it.

I meant "better" in terms of price-to-quality ratio.

The point is that consoles are still more expensive than a cheap gaming PC. Off the top of my head:

• Consoles now have subscription fees to play online.
    • You will still need a PC even if you own a console.
    • PC games have many sellers, meaning you can often get good prices and deals on games even if they've just released. On console (at least last I checked), you're kinda ######### there.
  • ModernFable
    Orion said:

@Unicorn said:

While there is some truth to what you both are saying, I’d say the main draw that consoles have over PC is convenience.

There’s very little learning curve when it comes to console. Buy a console, buy a game, play a game. Maybe buy a membership if what you’re playing requires it.

However on the PC side, things are immediately more complicated. What GPU and CPU do I need for the games I want to play? Is the motherboard I bought compatible with my CPU? What about my memory? Where should I buy parts? What is the difference between AMD and Nvidia? What about AMD and Intel?

There’s a plethora of questions a person has to ask when building a PC, especially for the first time. And even if we are to remove that from the equation then a whole new set of problems arise.

How much should I pay for a premade PC? Will it have everything I need? What if it has a problem?

Once you get into PC gaming and understand the basics of parts and their importance, as well as learning about necessary programs, etc. everything smooths out.

However at the very start there’s no contest which is easier to understand. Additionally while a PC may very well save you more down the line, a consoles upfront cost is definitely cheaper.

You buy a console, by default you know it can play everything available on the store without a second thought. Now some games play worse than others, but the same is for PC.
  • Orion

@ModernFable said:
    While there is some truth to what you both are saying, I’d say the main draw that consoles have over PC is convenience.

That's probably it. Explains Apple as well. It's amazing how consumers would rather get shafted than learn about the things they're using.

• ModernFable
    Orion said:

@ModernFable said:

That's probably it. Explains Apple as well. It's amazing how consumers would rather get shafted than learn about the things they're using.

Well that is the case with all things, not just technology.

And in the case of consoles, it’s not all for convenience.

After all, you’re not gonna be able to play newest Zelda or Smash on a PC unless you participate in some unsavory practices.
  • Unicorn
    Orion said:

@Unicorn said:

I meant "better" in terms of price-to-quality ratio.

The point is that consoles are still more expensive than a cheap gaming PC. Off the top of my head:

• Consoles now have subscription fees to play online.
    • You will still need a PC even if you own a console.
    • PC games have many sellers, meaning you can often get good prices and deals on games even if they've just released. On console (at least last I checked), you're kinda [BAD WORD] there.
    You didn't answer my questions.
  • Orion

@Unicorn said:

You asked two questions. One was if a cheap gaming PC was equal to a console. The other was conditional on the first one having a positive answer. I answered the second one; implicitly, the answer to the first one was "Yes".

• Unicorn
    Orion said:

@Unicorn said:

You asked two questions. One was if a cheap gaming PC was equal to a console. The other was conditional on the first one having a positive answer. I answered the second one; implicitly, the answer to the first one was "Yes".

I also asked if you could inform me on some Gaming PC brands I could look into that are cheap.
  • Orion

@Unicorn said:
    I also asked if you could inform me on some Gaming PC brands I could look into that are cheap.

My bad, I missed it.
    If you want a cheap PC, you don't buy a pre-built one. You get parts and put them together yourself. It's not as complicated as it looks. If you can read (manuals), aren't colorblind (this is not a joke; some cables are color-coded), and have played with blocks in kindergarten, you can assemble a computer.

• Unicorn
    Orion said:

@Unicorn said:

My bad, I missed it.
    If you want a cheap PC, you don't buy a pre-built one. You get parts and put them together yourself. It's not as complicated as it looks. If you can read (manuals), aren't colorblind (this is not a joke; some cables are color-coded), and have played with blocks in kindergarten, you can assemble a computer.

Got it. Thank you :chuffed: