The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Reporting other players for abusive language

wouldntyouliketoknow
wouldntyouliketoknow Member Posts: 59
edited December 2018 in General Discussions

I don't really know where to post this. But I don't usually find other players that go above and beyond to use hate speech and be an overall toxic person. And I don't want to play with those people, I'd rather have slower que times if I didn't have to deal with these folk. But I didn't see an option to block them. Do I have to go to steam to do that? Why isn't there an in game option? Reporting is alright, but I don't think that stops people from saying terrible things.

And please don't tell me to grow a thicker skin. Like I said, I rarely see absolutely terrible trash talk. But If I see someone making death threats/wishes, or using hate speech, I do think it's fair to want to at least remove them from my potential party members list in the future.

Comments

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,692

You can only use the in-game report.

Prepare for this abuse every couple of games.

Welcome to Dead by Daylight - Unfortunately, community is mostly trash :(

• ReneAensland
    ReneAensland Member Posts: 838

Same here on Playstation, I say it right back.
    BUT I don't expect everyone to do what I do, so there should be a way to report these people.

I do agree with you, there should be a way to block people in order for you not to get paired up with them again.

• @Raccoon said:

I've been playing for a while, and like I said, it gets bad but there's a line I draw. Hell, if we had a way to effect these players I bet it would help with the toxicity.

• @ReneAensland said:
    BUT I don't expect everyone to do what I do, so there should be a way to report these people.

I do agree with you, there should be a way to block people in order for you not to get paired up with them again.

Yeah, once they start saying things that are hate speech, or wishing death/harm upon another player and you respond with whatever be it "everyone please report" "That's not okay" "you're being childish" Whatever you say to them they don't give 2 s**ts. Why? because nothing is going to happen to them. Doesn't make sense to me. Like reporting is supposed to make me feel better but really, I just want to never play with them again, and this would, if enough people felt the same about another person, would mess with THEIR que times so hopefully people would attempt to behave better.

• Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608
    there absolutely should be a way to avoid players you don't want to be paired up with anymore. 
    I've been saying that since I started playing this game. Some of the people in this community have no business being able to interact with others the way they do and to do it without punishment is insulting.
  • Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

@ReneAensland said:

Yeah, once they start saying things that are hate speech, or wishing death/harm upon another player and you respond with whatever be it "everyone please report" "That's not okay" "you're being childish" Whatever you say to them they don't give 2 s**ts. Why? because nothing is going to happen to them. Doesn't make sense to me. Like reporting is supposed to make me feel better but really, I just want to never play with them again, and this would, if enough people felt the same about another person, would mess with THEIR que times so hopefully people would attempt to behave better.

Reporting for psn messages definitely will result in a psn ban if they used hate speech or verbal abuse and harassed you. 
  • ReneAensland

@Carpemortum said:
    wouldntyouliketoknow said:

@ReneAensland said:

Reporting for psn messages definitely will result in a psn ban if they used hate speech or verbal abuse and harassed you. 

THIS! AGREED! I also know Xbox has stick moderation as well though, I don't play Xbox myself.

• @Carpemortum said:

@ReneAensland said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but what's PSN?

Also, it's good to know they'll get a ban, but I also want the option of using that as a reason to black list them. Really! Not everyone is toxic!

• @Avariku said:
    there absolutely should be a way to avoid players you don't want to be paired up with anymore. 
    I've been saying that since I started playing this game. Some of the people in this community have no business being able to interact with others the way they do and to do it without punishment is insulting.

I completely agree! Have the devs said anything about updating tactics to confront toxicity?

• purebalance
    purebalance Member Posts: 661

@wouldntyouliketoknow said:

@Raccoon said:

I've been playing for a while, and like I said, it gets bad but there's a line I draw. Hell, if we had a way to effect these players I bet it would help with the toxicity.

As soon as there is a system in place to somehow cause problems for someone for their speech in a game, it will get abused. SWF with 3 players and you're the 4th and they antagonize you until you burst out with something. 3x report and you're on the chopping block. Happens in League of Legends all the time. I've gotten infractions there for "arguing" with someone who was being toxic while they got off free and clear.

• ReneAensland

@Carpemortum said:

@ReneAensland said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but what's PSN?

Also, it's good to know they'll get a ban, but I also want the option of using that as a reason to black list them. Really! Not everyone is toxic!

Playstation Network.

• ReneAensland

The thing about Console vs PC is that PC you rely on the gaming company to monitor the abuses (see what I did there) and PSN you have two ways, if the report function doesn't work Playstation Monitors and bans the abusers.

• @purebalance said:

@Raccoon said:

As soon as there is a system in place to somehow cause problems for someone for their speech in a game, it will get abused. SWF with 3 players and you're the 4th and they antagonize you until you burst out with something. 3x report and you're on the chopping block. Happens in League of Legends all the time. I've gotten infractions there for "arguing" with someone who was being toxic while they got off free and clear.

I've heard of this sort of thing happening, but I think it's worth the risk. I think when someone reports another person it saves the dialogue which it's much easier to save and read through with the small amount of interaction time we have before and after games, so those wrongly accused have some kind of defense.

Truly though, if -anything- I want a black list. Perhaps the reporting system won't work- but if I can just make sure I don't get a game with that person or group again, I can just be happy I wont see their face again during game.

• @ReneAensland said:
    The thing about Console vs PC is that PC you rely on the gaming company to monitor the abuses (see what I did there) and PSN you have two ways, if the report function doesn't work Playstation Monitors and bans the abusers.

Lol thank you for that. Yea I play PC.

• Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608
    yea... I'd prefer an "avoid" function rather than report.
  • purebalance

@purebalance said:

@Raccoon said:

I've heard of this sort of thing happening, but I think it's worth the risk. I think when someone reports another person it saves the dialogue which it's much easier to save and read through with the small amount of interaction time we have before and after games, so those wrongly accused have some kind of defense.

Truly though, if -anything- I want a black list. Perhaps the reporting system won't work- but if I can just make sure I don't get a game with that person or group again, I can just be happy I wont see their face again during game.

Problem is that typically the systems put in place by games won't do much over 1 report in a game. Like I said I had gotten multiple chat restrictions in LoL for saying "you're being toxic and you need to stop" and "muted reported" because the person either garnered the support of the other players or was in a group and they all reported. With LoL they don't look at whatever else was said and only the chat of the person reported. Much less with console in this case, the reporting would have NOTHING to do with BHVR since any abuse is entirely through PSN or Xbox(whatever they call their system). So as such, BHVR would have no control of any chat in those cases. At least when you play on PC the after game chat is through DBD and you have a case.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

@Raccoon said:

Yeah I caught a permanent ban on LOL in a game where my teammate and opponent were telling each other to kill themselves and much worse slurs. I said guys it's a ######### game stop this #########. They got chat bans.
  • purebalance

@ReneAensland said:

How exactly? I've never really seen an option anywhere to report someone to PSN.

• RWoodrow
    RWoodrow Member Posts: 270

@ReneAensland said:

How exactly? I've never really seen an option anywhere to report someone to PSN.

Select the message in question, press the options button, select report.
  • TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,133

@RWoodrow said:
    purebalance said:

@ReneAensland said:

Yup. I've reported toxic messages using the PSN report system. Later, I saw the messages had been removed by Sony, so they absolutely did look and take action.

That's something everyone should keep in mind when using the console messaging system: don't swear, don't say anything offensive, always keep it clean. They take those things seriously.

• purebalance

@RWoodrow said:
    purebalance said:

@ReneAensland said:

That's definitely convoluted. Most people probably can't find that. I misread what you had written originally and kept trying to click the message and then I was like ohhhh options button. Most people don't even know that it's the info screen during games on dbd(or menu whatever). I highly doubt it's used frequently.

Follow up is do they actually do anything about it?

• purebalance

@TragicSolitude said:

@RWoodrow said:
    purebalance said:

@ReneAensland said:

Yup. I've reported toxic messages using the PSN report system. Later, I saw the messages had been removed by Sony, so they absolutely did look and take action.

That's something everyone should keep in mind when using the console messaging system: don't swear, don't say anything offensive, always keep it clean. They take those things seriously.

You honestly have no proof they took action other than removing the message. We'd legitimately need someone who has had action taken against them by Sony to verify this since these companies are notorious for not telling you if they did something to a harasser. Blizzard is good about telling you who is getting a ban etc, but Riot for example will not tell you if someone who harassed you had any action taken.

• purebalance

Here's PSN's Code of Conduct

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/my-account/grief-reporting/community-code-of-conduct/

So they really should be doing something according to that. However, I highly doubt they're going to have 1-2 instances even end up with a suspension. Reading over that, I also highly doubt that DBD will ever have any control over bans on PS4 added in with the fact that you need PS+ to play it and most people would cancel it then.

• RWoodrow
    RWoodrow Member Posts: 270

@RWoodrow said:
    purebalance said:

@ReneAensland said:

That's definitely convoluted. Most people probably can't find that. I misread what you had written originally and kept trying to click the message and then I was like ohhhh options button. Most people don't even know that it's the info screen during games on dbd(or menu whatever). I highly doubt it's used frequently.

Follow up is do they actually do anything about it?

Over the years I have run into people who have been on the recieving end of such reports (on forums, Facebook communities, etc) and in those cases, Sony did give them bans, therefore, I have faith that they do hand out punishments.
  • Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522

Please report them in-game. Reporting them will save the chat log for us to review. We do check the reports and we do ban people who go overboard on insults. These bans start off small and get progressively longer each time they are banned, eventually becoming permanent if they do not change their behaviour.

• Hex_A_Decimal
    Hex_A_Decimal Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2018

I know I've been reported - honestly not hurting my feelings. If you act like a [insert every imaginable pejorative term here] in game, I'm going to happily, and in vivid detail tell you that you're a [insert every imaginable pejorative term here] after the game, regardless of whether or not the devs believe it's more acceptable to act like a bch than to tell someone they were acting like a bch.

• wouldntyouliketoknow
    wouldntyouliketoknow Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2018

@Hex_A_Decimal said:
    I know I've been reported - honestly not hurting my feelings. If you act like a [insert every imaginable pejorative term here] in game, I'm going to happily, and in vivid detail tell you that you're a [insert every imaginable pejorative term here] after the game, regardless of whether or not the devs believe it's more acceptable to act like a bch than to tell someone they were acting like a bch.

I'm not sure what words/language you use. I get getting frustrated and sharing that frustration. I don't report everyone that gets salty- it's how you get salty. It is just a game, and to try to cut someone deep because of a game is.... if that's the kind of person (general)you want to be, then that's the kind of person you want to be. I get to move on.

But I draw a line when you start threatening or wishing death upon a person. When you start using hate speech and discrimination which are real world problems beyond a video game. And if the community decides it's bad enough to report, I think it's worth considering you should stop and re-assess the way you go about things, or if you should even be playing PVP games if it enrages you to that point.

Which is why I'd really like a black list to just ignore people that lash out uncontrollably at people in game.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320
    edited December 2018

Yee.. bascially just report them.

You can block them in steam... Then whenever you join a lobby, check your their profiles and see if any are blocked. But that won't help you see the killers profile, if you are survivor.

They won't put in a block feature to prevent you from being matched up in the future. Those sorts of block lists, only ruin the games match making, since people will abuse it and ban anyone they don't want to play against.

@Peanits said:
    Please report them in-game. Reporting them will save the chat log for us to review. We do check the reports and we do ban people who go overboard on insults. These bans start off small and get progressively longer each time they are banned, eventually becoming permanent if they do not change their behaviour.

When you make that ingame report and the chat log is saved. Is the pre-game chat log also saved, or is it just the end game chat log that is saved?

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

I don't really know where to post this. But I don't usually find other players that go above and beyond to use hate speech and be an overall toxic person. And I don't want to play with those people, I'd rather have slower que times if I didn't have to deal with these folk. But I didn't see an option to block them. Do I have to go to steam to do that? Why isn't there an in game option? Reporting is alright, but I don't think that stops people from saying terrible things.

And please don't tell me to grow a thicker skin. Like I said, I rarely see absolutely terrible trash talk. But If I see someone making death threats/wishes, or using hate speech, I do think it's fair to want to at least remove them from my potential party members list in the future.

Ingame report and hope that the devs do sth.
    We dont have an option to block unless you use bannable 3rd party software (some fog streamers do that and dont get banned, so its up to you.....)

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    Peanits said:

Few questions

1) What's the timeframe between receiving a report and issuing a ban if warranted? By that I mean a day? A week? Etc

2) Does the chat only save if you report for abusive language? Or anything? I reported someone under the trolling category once for farming. They admitted it in chat too so I'm curious if all options save logs
  • Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,692
    Step 1 - Send report about player threatening violence/sexual violence and/or advocating for your self-termination at the end game screen. 

Step 2 - Record their profile ID. 

Step 3 - Continue to see them play without consequence. 
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Raccoon said:
    Step 1 - Send report about player threatening violence/sexual violence and/or advocating for your self-termination at the end game screen. 

Steps 1 and 2 are correct but you massively failed the skill check on 3.

Step 3 Continue playing knowing that they'll get banned and most likely come to one of the forums complaining about said ban. As proof check said forums for past posts from said banned players that put the lie to his step 3.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited December 2018

@powerbats said:

@Raccoon said:

Steps 1 and 2 are correct but you massively failed the skill check on 3.

Step 3 Continue playing knowing that they'll get banned and most likely come to one of the forums complaining about said ban. As proof check said forums for past posts from said banned players that put the lie to his step 3.

One of the best parts of the forum - reading threads from people who were banned from the game.

• AlexialAngel
    AlexialAngel Member Posts: 1

Yeah I just recently started playing, and I was playing as the nurse. Had just hooked my first person and knocked out a nearby generator. Turn around to see someone unhooking the person. I teleport and slash both of them and rehook them, only to then after the game be accuses of camping which I tried to explain and then to be yelled at and called racial slurs, have death threats made against me, and told that I deserved to be raped with a barbed sword. As a person that had actually been raped I find this really hurtful and offensive and the fact that nothing happens to these idiots that are reported is absurd. I like how in the mobile there is no chat atm, so no one can spread hate speech.