Do the devs have a bias against Candyman?

Options
CornHub
CornHub Member Posts: 1,864
edited August 2021 in General Discussions

Maybe one of them got stung by a bee & have had it out for anything bee based since. Look at this and tell me what you see

I see one franchise with 1 decent movie, 8 flops, and then a movie nobody saw vs. a peak horror movie, an underrated classic, and a misunderstood masterpiece. Why, literally why does Trashraiser get in the game, but a golden ratio of a franchise get shafted out of its well deserved spot. Another ugly ghoul man makes it to the game, but heaven forbid someone not nightmarish to look at makes it in. Unbelievable

Comments

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

I think at this point its just timing, they probably still want to release ot alongside the remake / new movie.

• CornHub
    Options

Pretty presumptuous to make those kinda statements. Ask anyone outside of the forums(because of the garboraiser hype) & they'll tell you the exact same thing. Also even if that were true that I have a bias, Candyman is just a better film franchise overall it's ratings average out to confirm this.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,481
    Options

It’s still possible that they (BHVR and/or Candyman license holders) didn’t want to release any information before the movie released at all. So the idea is not to cross promote the movie release and the chapter but to not spoil anything from the new movie in the chapter.

remember that they aim to not have more licensed than original chapters released but if it’s true and they actually initially planned to release Candyman in 2020 along with the originally planned movie release it’s still possible it may be chapter 22 or 23 even though that would mean 3 licensed and only 1 original chapter this year, because last was 3 original and 1 licensed.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,073
    edited August 2021
    Options

Maybe getting the license is more difficult that we thought. Or maybe they got the license for Hellraiser a good while ago and it’s just ready to be released? Maybe it’s because the license holder is difficult to work with and want to be overly controlling or charge more than Behaviour want to pay? Maybe they can’t think of a good power for him? It could be they have acquired the license and they’re working on it and are just not ready to release it.

It’s possible that they want the new movie to come out first, in order for fans to be hyped and then release it for the game and get new fans interested in DbD. Not having a character in DbD doesn’t mean the devs don’t want them, it just means there are issues that have to be dealt with.

Post edited by Huge_Bush on
  • justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521
    Options

This is all about personal opinion but mine is that Candyman while it's amazing movie I don't like his character being part of dbd maybe some other game or it's own but not dbd we really need something fresh and something terrifying but I really don't think it's possible anymore even nemesis they made look like helpless creature so who knows but in my opinion candyman is just ain't it for dbd while I love movies and I hate hellraiser movies it was just not my cup of tea

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,093
    Options

This is the most likely reason. Movie comes out August 27, why risk spoiling it week before for a video game dlc ptb.

• CornHub
    Options

I feel like you were focusing on the bad parts of Candyman, which is why you didn't like it. If you ignore those parts of the movie you'll enjoy it.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893
    edited August 2021
    Options

All I can see is that both franchises sequels sucked, but the overall audience score is what matters, where hellraiser 1 outperformed candyman. Even their sequels fall off at around the same metric.

Also interest in candyman didn't spike until 2019 when Jordan Peele dropped the script to a reboot of the film.

Also consider Hellraisers latest film milking was in 2018. Hellraiser was released in 1987, Candyman in 1992.

I mean if we're being completely honest, both film franchises have devolved into B tier garbage and barely sell enough to cover their costs.

But if we're being realistic...the Hellraiser license is far easier to obtain than the license Jordan Peel is likely entangled in at the moment until he releases his film. So I'd throw my dice at opportunity over bias.

And I mean if we're being realistic, Night of the living dead, dumpstered both of these, but its never coming to DBD. Same token, Alien franchise is a possibility for DBD and is one that completely trashes damn near every license in this game in comparison. But the likely hood of getting that signature....is low.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    Options

So, if we think of this logically... Hell Raiser was teased 14 months ago by Mathew Mcote.

"I have two best friends who are both named Simon and Simon, is this a random fact about me or a hint?"

Pinhead could have just been underdevelopment for 14 months and if that's true.

Same goes for Candyman. They were teased almost around the same time, and Tony told everyone to just wait, Candyman is probably still being developed as we speak.

So, my hope for Candyman hasn't died, not even a little

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    edited August 2021
    Options

Gotta be, there's no way that they're not.

People say they suck (I disagree) but it doesn't turn down their fame and how they do have a cult following as well.

They're just a little late, that's all

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,990
    Options
  • TwitchyMike
    TwitchyMike Member Posts: 759
    Options

What this guy said... That's answer enough for this discussion!

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,423
    Options

Do the devs look at movie reviews to decide which franchise they want to bring into the game?

• Jarol
    Jarol Member Posts: 1,985
    Options

Well, something that bothers me is that they consider Pinhead or Springtrap if it turned out to be instead of Candyman, I saw his trilogy and I can say that I liked the first movie better, but it bothers me that it is not him, he may be more interesting than Pinhead , because even though I'm more of a fan of the character, I'm not a fan of the franchise. Also, seeing the actor from Candyman doing "Indirect" to Dead by Daylight so that someone else steals his position is a demigrant. His movie has already been released and seeing that it's not him is quite annoying.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

They definitely should, so we can finally have the Titanic as a survivor and an iceberg as a killer.

• speedwagon
    speedwagon Member Posts: 4
    Options

One masterpiece/good work of art and a chain of somewhat good/mediocre/garbage sequels. LIKE THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN BEFORE - WINKS AT Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Nightmare on Elm Street, Saw, Scream, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, FNaF, Candyman etc. I mean, WOW.

• CornHub
    Options

No, you can't just unfocus on the bad parts of rubbishraiser because the entire thing is bad unlike Candyman. Anyone who disagrees with me is clearly a biased Hellraiser fan here. Look at the ratings & tell me I'm wrong.

• CornHub
    Options

No, i'd be a hypocrite if hellraiser had the good reviews & Candyman the had bad ones. How am I bias because I say a franchise with bad ratings is bad?

• Razorbeam
    Razorbeam Member Posts: 594
    Options

It's weird, all horror that I grew up with is now rated awfully on modern websites, all the classics, sure most of them were terrible but they were great terrible.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

OP, I have some bad news. Someone definitely has a strong bias, but it ain't the devs.

• Phox
    Phox Member Posts: 206
    Options

All of your arguments are completely subjective and based on your personal opinions. The devs aren’t being biased, just because you think that way doesn’t mean they all do as well.

There are people who want both, there are people who want one instead of the other, and there are people who don’t want either.. so there’s no point in arguing opinions.

I don’t like Candyman, I think he’s a boring and could care less if he comes to the game but I’m not expecting my personal opinion to trump all the people who passionately want a Candyman chapter. If the devs can get the license it’ll likely happen, with the remake coming it’ll be lucrative content..

Honestly though, what are you actually fussing about? It seems like you’re upset that people who want a Hellraiser chapter are excited and not talking about the chapter you’d prefer.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

Candyman is dull, devs saw sense at last.

• CornHub
    Options

Well I calculated the averages & got this with a 2% margin of error. Candyman has nearly double the ratings average of the entire Hellraiser franchise. Factually Candyman is better then Hellraiser, but dev bias towards the worse franchise got it an undeserved spot in the game

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,481
    Options

you don’t know if dev bias was the reason why we get Hellraiser now instead of Candyman.

there have been plenty of possible reasons mentioned in this thread as to why this is the case (license availability, money, movie releases/spoilers etc). You shouldn’t claim it’s definitely dev bias when it’s just your assumption. And Candyman is not ruled out for future chapters at all.

• HaunterofShadows
    Options

damn. that was both very well written and statistically logical.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,907
    Options

I'm annoying like that. My work colleagues hate me for it 😁

• Shymare_11
    Shymare_11 Member Posts: 494
    Options

Just want to point out that you’re using fabricated statistics for Candy man is better movie argument or whatever.

I hope you know that you can’t make up statistics just because you think a director will produce a good movie, that they will “care” about doing it right. Especially, for a movie that has even come up yet and said “probable” ratings help bolster your point of argument. Which is purely speculative, subjective, and feigns ignorance of a myriad of other possibilities to why Hellraiser was chosen instead.

So, unless your projected ratings for this unreleased movie is supported by reliable and solid evidence, beside a director’s character and attitude towards what they are making; don’t use it to support your already lacking argument which differs slightly from the original accusation you made about the devs biases.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,622
    edited August 2021
    Options

Interesting how we're including stats for a movie that doesn't exist yet to fuel your narrative that you're not biased the devs are.

EDIT: By "doesn't exist yet" I mean to the general public. Last I checked it wasn't the 25th August yet.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

I don't think it's as popular as people in this forum make it seem...

Like I never heard about that movie till I saw people mentioning it here 😂

And even me being a big movie fan never even heard about this movie being mention by other movie enthusiast. I saw the first movie just because people were mentioning it, and it was okay however nothing I would watch again.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,141
    Options

It might not be bias at all. Just because the DbD playerbase wants a particular license doesn't mean that (1) the rights holders are interested in licensing the I.P. to Behavior Interactive for Dead by Daylight or (2) the license isn't too high priced for whatever Licensor reason.

Heck, a couple years ago, I had a tabletop RPG company want to license one of my I.P.s. I turned them down. Why? Simply because I wasn't interested in having the I.P. turned into an RPG. Sometimes, a Rights Owner just says "Pass" for their own reasons.

• eric_alrasid17
    eric_alrasid17 Member Posts: 119
    Options

I hype for this chapter, whatever is out, but can you guys stop mention pinhead, pennywise, candyman, etc for 5 goddamn minutes? It makes me less excited to hear that every single day

• HaunterofShadows
    Options

did you just use a movie that hasn't even come out yet as a benchmark

• baseballfan4877
    baseballfan4877 Member Posts: 364
    edited August 2021
    Options

So Candyman isn't released yet because they haven't released the movie "Candyman" yet because of COVID and you think the devs are biased in not releasing him? Lmao. okay. And I would say Candyman is way less known than Hellraiser anyways, but that doesn't really matter.

edit- Candyman could easily still come out, since the movie is releasing this month.

Post edited by baseballfan4877 on
  • HaunterofShadows
    Options

I mean hey it's better than using cinemasins as your reviewers

• MarioT6
    MarioT6 Member Posts: 25
    Options

It's possible that they can't get the Candyman license.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843
    edited August 2021
    Options

I see...

Everything after the first one is #########

Par for the course when it comes to horror movies

Also ratings websites say almost everything is ######### terrible, it's basically guaranteed they never like anything

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419
    Options

They go by what they want, not some petty crap like Rotten Tomato scores.

• Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Hex_KillerMainBTW Member Posts: 447
    Options

Ah. So you only care about ratings from other people? I enjoy both movies franchises but you can't tell me Candy man 2-3 were very subpar to the original one. Even though clearly Hellraiser 2-3 still did better than Candyman. It's perfectly fine to have your own personal preferences, but at least stick to what you say. For the love of the entity, take off your bias glasses.