We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

We have had no modern iconic killers

Leatherface, Freddy, Michael, Ghostface, Pyramid head, Nemesis, and Pig, all killers that we have seen before the year 2000 (Nemesis almost being modern but is 1 year short, 1999) (And I don't count Demo given he's really not that iconic. For Stranger things? Yes, but not in a general sense like all the others, also he's in season 1 out of 4, can't really compare him)

There are so many slashers and creatures that have come out since 2000 that BHVR haven't even touched. My Bloody Valentine, The Mist, Dog Soldiers, Slither, A Quiet Place, Hollow Man, American Psycho, Purge, etc.

And don't forget the games like Dead Space, Fear, Amnesia, Siren, Fnaf, Evil Within, Outlast, etc.

Some of these might not be iconic to you, but they ARE iconic to others.

All these deserve some position in the "Horror Hall of Fame", and yet all we've seen is ancient history.

Comments

• DerpyPlayz
    DerpyPlayz Member Posts: 583

I just want them to come up with more of they're own killer ideas.

• Sickerton
    Sickerton Member Posts: 77

The first SAW came out in 2004. The franchise is younger than American Psycho (While the movie was 2000, it's based on a 1991 novel) My Bloody Valentine (Original in 1981), and *possibly* Hollow Man, if you take it as a re-imagining of The Invisible Man from 1897.

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

People are more familiar with truly iconic characters like Michael Myers and Freddy. The general population/player base won’t go out of their way to purchase a game featuring Hollow Man versus a guy like Michael Myers.

Although at this point, the old school icons are running thin and DBD is big enough of a game to take chances on smaller IPs: can be from a game like Evil Within (The Keeper), or even Candyman.

• dbd900bach
    dbd900bach Member Posts: 656

Maybe the pool of most iconic horror icons runs out, then maybe they'll start poking at the more modern one's but at this point I don't think they should. Back then Jason, Michael, Freddy, Ghostface, they all created the slasher genre, reinvented it and are still some of the most iconic today.

Silent hill is practically the grandfather of horror games along with Resident Evil though admittedly Outlast deserves its own pedestal. I don't know too terribly much about horror games so don't bash me for it. The modern horror movies today simply aren't popular or iconic enough and they may never be but by the time they are Dead by Daylight might be dead.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,424

Yeah. Every licensed killer released I'm just like "oh, an old killer whose movie I've never seen, but I see in Halloween shops".

Not to say its necessarily bad, but I would really like some more recent things. As you said they have a lot to pull from like Slenderman, ect.

Would really add to the "oh I know this one" effect that the others lack for those of us who are not ~30+ years of age or just didn't watch a lot of horror in our younger years.

Like people are raving about Hellraiser and I'm just here like "who? why this man got pins in his head?".

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171
    edited August 2021

I would be down with the Quite Place. Krasinski can play the survivor then they can give me a Jim skin for The Office? Maybe Pam skin for Jane maybe? I would buy that #########.

• TwitchyMike
    TwitchyMike Member Posts: 759

First I want to say I 100% agree with you!

Dead Space for me is my most anticipated DLC hope for this game. It is a modern horror genre that deserves a slot in DBD.

Dead Space is actually a very Iconic Game. Actually the 1st Dead Space is one of the best games constructed in history.

It was critically acclaimed and went on to not only a trilogy but spiked comics and even a couple of animated movies.

8.7/10IGN

9/10GameSpot

4.5/5Common Sense Media

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,485

You're right. I misremembered and thought that the original SAW had released in 2003, not 2004.

Still, that proves the point even more so.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,142

Just to give answer on your lists:

My bloody valentine:

A normal dude in mining outfit with a pickaxe -> no real option for a standout killerpower, could maybe become a skin for trapper not really anything more.

The mist:

Only wasp- or Spider-Monster as real reference material-> flying or climbing ability which would make them really unique from the killer roster would brake the game like nurse/spirit.

Dog soldier/slither: Sorry never head or seen them.

A quiet place:

Only Demogorgon-like monsters without real uniqueness -> only stand out feature probably complete blindness with sonar power and dash?

Hollow man:

Another normal human with invisibility-> we already have wraith and spirit with that.

American psycho/purge:

No unique killer, just normal humans going nuts and murdery -> see legion and trickster

Since this is already a wall of text i hope you get my point without doing the videogames also.

What you listed is interesting from the horror franchise standpoint but the devs have also take the standing roster, their image and their powers and the limitations of the (outdated) game engine into account.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I more or less agree, but Patrick Bateman is easily iconic enough to get in the game. Bigger than Candyman and everyone was obsessed with him before they realized we were getting Hellraiser.

Albeit, he is over 20 years old at this point. No idea why OP is so obsessed with something being "modern" if it came out in 2000 instead of 1999... But I digress.

• MarioT6
    MarioT6 Member Posts: 25

Pyramid Head made his debut in Silent Hill 2, which was released in 2001.

Amanda Young/The Pig was in several Saw films, including the first, released in 2004.

And of course, Demogorgon being from Stranger Things, which started in 2016.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,013

I think once they start finishing the old-school classic horror icons, like Jason, Candyman, and maybe Alien (Xenomorph), they can start focusing on the modern ones.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

If i could choose modern characters they would be Fnaf, my bloody valentine, the grudge, Happy deathday and slenderman.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

I'd like to see Dracula or any form of Vampire Lord before they hit the modern favorites.

• Blue_Archer33
    Blue_Archer33 Member Posts: 318

I'm not sure if anyone would consider urban folklore/myths as "modern" and "iconic" as well of creepypasta, but there are quite a lot of good opportunities there. SCP's? SlenderMan? Wendigo? Voodoo? There are a LOT of choices that I'm honestly surprised DBD hasn't explored yet. The best we got was CryptTV and THAT was just cosmetics.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,147

My Bloody Valentine was a 1981 movie that was remade in 2009 - which if you don't consider remakes old then Leatherface had remake in 2003, Nightmare on Elm Street remake (and the one we have in game) was from 2010, and Rob Zombies Halloween remake came out in 2007 making all of them new to your standards.

Scream 4 came out in 2011 and the Scream series on MTV was from 2015-2019.

Saw franchise started in 2004. Meanwhile Hollow Man came out in 2000, American Psycho movie also 2000 (book published in 1991), and Dog Soldiers in 2002.

The Mist was originally published in 1980 before being made into a movie in 2007. If they're going to go Stephen King route they'll probably aim for It or Shining instead.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,169

Ghostface, Nemesis, and The freaking Pig aren't modern? Wow thanks for making me feel old.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

What happened to the kid? Is there a way to look this up or something?

I'm not familiar with slenderman, other than in the game slender.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

My bloody valentine? I hope you're not saying that was original movie? Because original movie came before 2000 u prob thinking of that lame remake the mist is also movie from 1970 or something and the one you think of is as well remake

• Seraphor

As far as I'm aware, there was no other The Mist movie. It was a novella by Stephen King in 1980, and then the movie was made in 2007.

You're probably thinking of The Fog, which was a John Carpenter film in 1980.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

OH. Well...this is awkward. Basically 3 kids were having a party then two of the kids ask the third to lay down and she does. Then the other two cover her in sticks and brush and start stabbing her as a sacrifice to Slenderman. She survived her 19 stab wounds and the other 2 girls were arrested.

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

Oh yeah that one with jamie Lee Curtis was the fog lol my bad well not surprised when it's basically completely same story

• Seraphor
    edited August 2021

Well one is a portal to another dimension full of terrifyingly ferocious creatures from super-Australia, while the other is a ghost fog from the sea that carries murderous ghost fishermen with it.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Dog soldiers for werewolf 👌

• LowrenceVonQersrick
    LowrenceVonQersrick Member Posts: 34

The thing is - modern horror movies are low effort ######### made for halloween season or netflix. One of most memorable lately was It, about killer clown... straight from 80s. What else do we have? Generic demons from Conjuring? Whatever. Killer plants from Happening? Lol, even if Little Shop Of Horrors (80s again) is the way to go. Generic Quiet Place monsters? Eee... Bunch of pissed off rednecks in Purge? No. There is nothing.

What good slasher movies with recognizable killer we got lately on level of Ghostface, Meyers, Jason, Freddy? Damn, i never watched movie with Freddy, and even i know who he is, how he can kill you and what he will use. Thats iconic. Slenderman is a joke in compare to this. Some faceless shy dude. Springtrap? Some bear robot from some game nobody will remember after 5 years. What he can do? Hug me to death?

From more modern movies i remember only Krampus from that christmas horror movie, he was awesome and freaking scary. He would be good killer maybe. Other than that we have only better known games. Like this monster from Amnesia.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Demogorgon doesn't exist apparently.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

To be honest not many modern slasher movies out there that are good now a days. I really think Myers and Jason are the most famous ones.

• HaunterofShadows

And there is the Krampus skin which could throw Krampus being a killer himself in DBD

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378
    edited August 2021

I mean you kinda hit the nail on the head, Demogorgon is from an all round appreciate series (Though the messed up with postponing the next season for so long) and yet its still hard to call it iconic.

but non of that run of the mill forgettable crap you mentioned is remotely "iconic" either, the reason thoese that we have are iconic is because of the quality and memorable qualitties, its hard and rare (and luck is needed) that something ever reaches that status and nothing you mentioned does.

Heck some of the examples you gave gives me a hard time in even taking you seriously: A Quiet Place? really? what a terrible crappy forgettable waste of time that was...jeez....and The Purge? you actually dare to entertain the idea that those are ANYWHERE close to the likes of Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Halloween or...well anything in dbd?

(also lets not forget that, regrettably, the freddy we got is from the terrible remake that people for good reason will forget ever existed, not the iconic original)

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

They kinda couldn't not postpone the next season considering the pandemic.

• BioX
    BioX Member Posts: 1,378
    edited August 2021

how so? it is all shot already and what better time to release a netflix show/season then when everyone is stuck at home?

• Lochnload_exe
    Lochnload_exe Member Posts: 1,360

The reason modern horror characters aren't being chosen is because they don't bring anything unique to the table, or just plain wouldn't fit. My bloody valentine is basically just trapper. The Mist is about monsters and creatures like insects. The grunge is just the spirit. Fnaf is one id agree with that is a large indie horror franchise now and could be picked no matter what people say about it, but it doesn't mean it is more important or better than classic horror ICONS. BTW an icon is something that has left an image and is important to the genre, thats why they are going with Myers, Freddy, Leatherface, Ghostface, and now Pinhead. They are large horror icons and most horror movies that are current just don't leave the same impression behind.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419
    edited August 2021

My Bloody Valentine, The Mist, Dog Soldiers, Slither, A Quiet Place, Hollow Man, American Psycho, Purge, etc.

My Bloody Valentine is a remake of an 80s movie, Slither is literally just worms, American Psycho is a regular guy with an axe, Purge is terrible and the character would basically just be Legion

That leaves A Quiet Place, The Mist and Hollow Man as the ones I could see getting used in DBD

• HaunterofShadows

A quiet places monsters are too insectoid to be in the game

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419

Sidenote: I think one of Trapper's skins is already a My Bloody Valentine reference