Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

So ranks don't matter huh!?...Rant incoming

Edilibs
Edilibs Member Posts: 699
edited August 2021 in General Discussions

Its one thing to lose but its another to know WHY your losing. First off i want to say that this new mmr system is absolutely horrible! So i can can see my progress at the cue screen but BHVR seems to be going in the direction of removing rank all together and this is a mistake.

The people that say rank doesnt matter really don't understand games with ranking systems and this goes into a variety of genres. On average green, yellow and dark yellow (Rank 20's) are pretty bad and this can be for a number of reasons but the bottom line is that they don't really know the game and or are bad at it. Now i have no information post match so i can asses why i lose a game if i lose one or even when i win. When i win i want to know why and see ranks, stats etc and the same for when i lose. This new system is so bad along with the fps drops on console its really turning me away from this game which i really liked and still do but things are getting ridiculous with these changes...

Why does BHVR think ranks dont matter? Have they been listening to top streamers that may have said this? Please revert the match making back to the way it was, i dont care if me at red ranks get paired up with a rank 9 i'd still rather know that the person is rank 9 so i can assess my win or loss. Now i just dont' know anything...Now things are just a mystery and i have no answers and can only see perks. I'd much rather have the old MMR system (which i wasnt a fan of) than this crap because at least i know why things have happened the way they did! I would usually play at least 2 hours of DBD in a day but just shook my head after 45 min and turned it off because of this (mentioned above) reason. Its really becoming less and less fun....

In fighting games and other genres of games theres you can see points/ranks because you need to have info on a player. If BHVR really think that pairing a red rank up with a green or yellow rank doesnt matter then they really dont know games or the people that play them im sad to say. Why oh why would they get rid of rank displays!!!!?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!???????????????

Btw i play killer at rank 1 and survivor at rank 3 so just throwing that out there.

Comments

• Purgatorian
    Purgatorian Member Posts: 1,146

I am a solo player and always climbing my way to red ranks. I am a low purple/high green rank player at best but because I put time into it I got to red ranks. It is too easy to get there and too hard to get out of without screwing team mates over and I won't dc just to derank.

• InsatiableMop
    InsatiableMop Member Posts: 325

Rank doesn't mean much...at red rank. There can be some bad red ranks and there are some really good red ranks. However the ratio of bad players to good players skews further and further toward bad the worse rank they are. That's not to say there aren't some great players at the lower ranks that don't play often, but they are exceedingly rare and will very rapidly rank up in the sparing time they do have. Only need a pip in like 12 games to move an entire rank color and it resets once a month so odds are they won't be very low even with little gametime.

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

Why not go by hours ingame then? :)

• Edilibs

You don't consider yourself on their level (or above) because you "envy" them. A quick story..Before i came a "top player" in fighting games there were other players that i played and "beat" and i didn't really know who they were until after when the people at the arcade told me. I honestly didnt care who they were, i knew how good i was and i wanted to win so "names" didnt mean much to me because in order to be a top player i first had to beat these high level fighting game players and eventually became a top name myself. Otz and Dowsey (not disrespect to them) are not special! They along with all of us who play at rank 1 are the same as everyone else. Theres no way you can measure how good you are as a killer vs other killers in this game because theres no stats, leaderboards etc and theres no challenge aspect to DBD to find this out so your just downplaying yourself. Yeah you can say x person is better than me but that doesnt really apply to DBD because there are way too many variables to determine this.

I know all this but this is NOT creating balance. A balance matchmaking is having all red ranks go against a rank 1 or 2 killer and vice versa with no in between. I'm not going to accept that because that's not what i believe/feel. Ranks very much do matter and the 3 years that i've played this game i've seen why.

Its easy to get to rank 1 with killer because the matchmaking has always been bad.

Thats not the majority, its the minority. The weaker or bad players are the purple ranks and below again for different reasons. If your paired with other red ranks 100% of the time one out of the other three of the survivors may not be up to par but this is every other game..Your saying it like the majority of red ranks play bad most of the time and this simply is not the case. Its not rare to see these players because even if they are not playing so well they're still better than 90% of the purple and green ranks you'll get paired up with. Check this scenerio out. Two ppl are hooked myself included, the third survivor gets downed, the fourth survivor is full map away doing a gen AND I have Kindred...lol You know w hy we all died that game? Because at the end of the match i checked the ranks and the player (It was a Meg) was a rank 9 and THATS why i lost. I lost that game because BHVR decided it was a good idea to pair me up with this green rank resulting in my loss. Now of course there was no way for me to know this until post game which brings me back to my original point. They're efforts to create "balance" with this new MMR system is bad and a terrible one because they're matchmaking is very flawed. Now post game i cant even see if a killer (when im playing survivor) depiped or not because i have no stats/information on they're rank and thus i DONT know why i lost that game (or won)

I really dont think people are understanding this or comprehending why this is such a horrible idea!!

• InsatiableMop
    InsatiableMop Member Posts: 325

you reiterated what i was saying about red ranks, i said it has bad and good players but as you get to purple green yellow, the bad players becoem mreo and mreo the majority

• DerpyPlayz
    DerpyPlayz Member Posts: 583
    edited August 2021

BHVR seems to be going in the direction of removing rank all together and this is a mistake.

Yhea, they have voiced they're distaste of it for a while if I recall correctly. With that being said however, I am not sure it is a mistake. The ranking system as it is is terribly flawed. Although I think I would prefer it over a MMR system, even if they manage to make it work correctly.

The people that say rank doesnt matter really don't understand games with ranking systems and this goes into a variety of genres.

Or you just don't understand what it dictates. Rank does not account for skill at all.

I have a friend who has got the game a few months ago and he hit rank 3 in roughly a few weeks. He however, is more like what I would consider a rank 11. Clearly there are issues here. Its also common for newer players to get to Rank 1, hence why so many R1 do not play like how you would think the best rank in the game would play the game. If they did, every single match would be 30x more hell then what they already are at times.

Truthfully, as the devs have said, all rank is, is play time. Nothing more, nothing less.

Based of rank alone, you couldn't tell the difference between a rank 1 who has played for 100 hours, nor one that has played 1,000,000 hours.

On average green, yellow and dark yellow (Rank 20's) are pretty bad and this can be for a number of reasons but the bottom line is that they don't really know the game and or are bad at it.

Rank doesn't mean anything, you could be vsing a smurf. You could be facing someone who artificially ranked down. The list goes on. All that tells you, is the play time on the account was not enough for them to be able to get to R15.

Now i have no information post match so i can asses why i lose a game if i lose one or even when i win. When i win i want to know why and see ranks, stats etc and the same for when i lose.

Simple, they were better then you, you did poorly, they capitalized on something in a close game, they are a swf with strat or you are vsing survs who are playing the game correctly and you are playing a weak killer. Inverse would be the same reasons you win.

Why does BHVR think ranks dont matter?

Because they dont.

Have they been listening to top streamers that may have said this?

No one knows what goes on in the mind of the devs. One second they make a good chapter with good changes, the next second they are focusing on Pyramid Head's butt appearance in game (while glorifying it).

Please revert the match making back to the way it was,

I agree tbh, I don't think MMR is good for DBD.

I'd much rather have the old MMR system (which i wasnt a fan of) than this crap because at least i know why things have happened the way they did!

Agreed, but not for the reason listed. I agree because at least in the old match making, I didn't have to sweat every match to a insane degree and resort to camping nor tunneling (smartly) in specific situations as weak killers to make traction.

I would usually play at least 2 hours of DBD in a day but just shook my head after 45 min and turned it off because of this (mentioned above) reason. Its really becoming less and less fun....

Pretty much same, that is what happens when you start to add skill based mechanics in a imbalanced and casual game.

In fighting games and other genres of games theres you can see points/ranks because you need to have info on a player.

You can't compare fighting games and this game, for one this is a 4 v 1. So just that fact makes it hard to be balanced, but in other games rank might actually mean something unlike in this game.

If BHVR really think that pairing a red rank up with a green or yellow rank doesnt matter then they really dont know games or the people that play them im sad to say.

That is not smart to say, because that doesn't make sense. If a yellow and red play at the same skill level, WHICH IS VERY COMMON because RANK DOESN'T MATTER for this game, then it is good to pair them together, provided the game's balance doesn't get crushed like in this game.

Why oh why would they get rid of rank displays!!!!?

To filter people like you complaining about the ranks, although you seem to complain about how they tried to stop you complaining about what you are complaining about... so it didn't completely work.

Btw i play killer at rank 1 and survivor at rank 3 so just throwing that out there.

I play R1 both, since 2 years, with roughly 5000 hours. In that time, I realized how stupid it is to try to use ethos because it is a fallacy in this sense. How long you have played mostly doesn't matter, and it certainly doesn't matter in the sense of what you have said in this post.

• Edilibs

DerpyPlayz

You said: Yhea, they have voiced they're distaste of it for a while if I recall correctly. With that being said however, I am not sure it is a mistake. The ranking system as it is is terribly flawed. Although I think I would prefer it over a MMR system, even if they manage to make it work correctly.

My comment: This remains to be seen, we'll see.

You said: Or you just don't understand what it dictates. Rank does not account for skill at all.

I have a friend who has got the game a few months ago and he hit rank 3 in roughly a few weeks. He however, is more like what I would consider a rank 11. Clearly there are issues here. Its also common for newer players to get to Rank 1, hence why so many R1 do not play like how you would think the best rank in the game would play the game. If they did, every single match would be 30x more hell then what they already are at times.

Truthfully, as the devs have said, all rank is, is play time. Nothing more, nothing less.

Based of rank alone, you couldn't tell the difference between a rank 1 who has played for 100 hours, nor one that has played 1,000,000 hours.

My response: How exactly is a rank 1 suppose to play because your assigning prerequisites to players that like to play a variety of ways with a variety of killers and a variety of perks. I play 11 killers at rank 1 and one of those killers is Clown. I play Insideous Clown and 7/7 games (using this particular build) with him i managed to pip or go even (not depiping) but im using Insideous so ppl have messaged me complaining. I can care less but this goes to show that what you said is a bad example because not everyone plays sweaty at rank 1. I only play sweaty at rank 2 because obviously i want my rank 1 back so i dont get your "how a rank 1 is suppose to play" comment. People in general play the way they want HOW they want to, period! I never once mentioned skill im talking about "ability" player ability. I'll give you that its hard to tell the difference between 100hr rank 1's and 1000 hr rank 1's though.

You: Rank doesn't mean anything, you could be vsing a smurf. You could be facing someone who artificially ranked down. The list goes on. All that tells you, is the play time on the account was not enough for them to be able to get to R15.

Me: Im talking about the majority not the minority and i mentioned this in an above post. Rank DOES mean something/matter!

You: Simple, they were better then you, you did poorly, they capitalized on something in a close game, they are a swf with strat or you are vsing survs who are playing the game correctly and you are playing a weak killer. Inverse would be the same reasons you win.

ME: No, i win or lose and know the reason for a number of reasons. Knowing an opponents (or teammates) rank is a part of it but also who im playing and what map im on because counterpick maps ie difficult maps need to be equated. Bottom line, since i cant see ranks i cant fully asses why im losing or why i have won at times. Im very analytical and everyone is different so you saying all those things, i know that already but if i want to see ranks i should be able to see ranks, period!

You: Because they dont.

Me: Yes they do!

You: No one knows what goes on in the mind of the devs. One second they make a good chapter with good changes, the next second they are focusing on Pyramid Head's butt appearance in game (while glorifying it).

Me: That is rather odd...good point.

You: I agree tbh, I don't think MMR is good for DBD.

Me: Yeah we're in agreeance here!

You: Agreed, but not for the reason listed. I agree because at least in the old match making, I didn't have to sweat every match to a insane degree and resort to camping nor tunneling (smartly) in specific situations as weak killers to make traction.

Me: If you your a killer at rank 1 often than you should know that it was easier to get kills, pip, 4k etc because of the old matchmaking. They would pair green, with a red, with two purples or one purple and a 2 greens and a yellow. This didnt turn out well for survivors paired up with lesser ability players ie weaker survivors.

You: You can't compare fighting games and this game, for one this is a 4 v 1. So just that fact makes it hard to be balanced, but in other games rank might actually mean something unlike in this game.

Me: I brought that up as a point of reference although i can give some good examples and compare i wont do that again bc i brought it up as a point of reference. I dont agree with you, rank "does" matter!

You: That is not smart to say, because that doesn't make sense. If a yellow and red play at the same skill level, WHICH IS VERY COMMON because RANK DOESN'T MATTER for this game, then it is good to pair them together, provided the game's balance doesn't get crushed like in this game.

Me: Red ranks and yellow ranks Do NOT play at the same skill level on average! What im saying totally makes sense. Playing the game as long as we (may) have you'll notice that yellow ranks (im not talking about smurfs) make horrible descisions, period! I can bring up many examples from personal experience as well as watching others play so you saying what im saying isnt "smart" has no validity here.

You: To filter people like you complaining about the ranks, although you seem to complain about how they tried to stop you complaining about what you are complaining about... so it didn't completely work.

Me: Its a bad idea period and they just "took something away" that they didnt have to. If you paid attention you would see that i wasnt really complaining about getting matched up with lower ranks. As a matter of fact im gonna look back at my original post because i dont think i was complaining about that at all. My "complaint" was the fact that i cant "see" the ranks and i should be able to "see ranks" The actual matchmaking itself is whatever but once again as a player that is analytical i need to know why and or understand why i lost a game or won a game. Not being able to see ranks now takes this aspect away from me.

You: I play R1 both, since 2 years, with roughly 5000 hours. In that time, I realized how stupid it is to try to use ethos because it is a fallacy in this sense. How long you have played mostly doesn't matter, and it certainly doesn't matter in the sense of what you have said in this post

Me: I have NO idea what you just said let alone what your getting at *shrugs*

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974

All they are good for is making an excuse for yourself and I miss that :) I'm usually more unhappy with my choices but I don't solo queue with kindred anymore. Knowing is a mixed bag

• AnnaEliza365
    AnnaEliza365 Member Posts: 141

They said they aren't removing ranks. They're just changing how it works

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

Everybody likes to understand why they won or lost, but it sounds like you're main explanation for why you win or lose is other people's ranks. Can't you just look at what happens in the match and say, "Oh, we won/lost because we did that?"

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

because its much easier to just look down on people than look within

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited August 2021

IMHO: The only way an MMR system could work is by hiding the ranks.

If your a middling ranked survivor and you get trounced by a Rank 2 killer... even if you both have the same skill (maybe you were just having a bad game and killer was just playing out of his mind)... it feels awful and you think the system is broken. You lose so much confidence in the system/game that you're quite likely to just walk away.

Community perception when it comes to MMR is often more important than actual facts/stats.

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

I don't play this game crazily. If you want proof, I don't think I ever made it past level 35 in any rift. Heck, as someone that knows this game for more than 5 years and has been playing for almost 5 years, I only have 1200 hours.

With this amount of playtime, I've literally never been red rank. With MMR on, I always have at least a red rank in my games. Which probably means that I am indeed a purple-red rank player, that plays very little, and never gets to rank up fast enough.

And don't get me wrong, I never struggle to rank up. When I play more than usual, I get to purple ranks. But that usually happens right before reset.

Ranking works in other games because it is not pure grind. There are things like jumping over ranks, qualification and most importantly, no reseting. All that happens at most is a season end which means you have to requalify. If you do very good, you might as well be higher than before.

• Edilibs

I solo que and the majority of the time if i lose its because players make bad decisions and or plays and these are coming from the green and some purple ranks and rarely the red ranks. I gave an above example where a Meg decided that doing a gen while me and another survivor were hooked and someone was being chased but she was full map away doing a gen and i had Kindred......I checked after the match and lo and behold she was a rank 9...Thats just one example of why green and purple (below rank 5) ranks should not be paired with red ranks. I wouldnt have a problem with this but they're pairing me up with these rank spreads into yellow against RANK 1''s. Why would they think thats a good idea? Even still i would prefer that type of matchmaking as opposed to not seeing any ranks at all because i cant make good assesments again because i have rank display taken away from me post game!

If i play really well with survivor and i escape but i can tell that the killer was good but struggled because of the map, i'd like to see if the rank 1 depiped or not so i can understand things more because as a killer main i like to see it from both perspectives. If i derank at rank 1 because im using a non conventional "fun" build on The Game or Haddonfield against all red ranks i at least know why i lost. With this new mmr system i know very little to nothing to make a good assesment and analyze things more clearly because the ranks are no longer visible. Im not saying i cant get outplayed because i can but i still want some form of knowing what i "went" up against to help me understand things better!

Lol Why cant people get this or see where im coming from?

• Edilibs

I forgot to multi quote, sorry. I just wanted to comment about your comment regarding rank working in other games because you say it isnt a pure grind and you are completely wrong about that. I come from the fgc (fighting game community) which i must admit is very different than the dbd community in some ways although its mostly about "mindset" comparisons that i wont get into here. Ranking is very much a grind in other gams, fighting games in particular because you have to get exp and grind not just mastering your character (execution, reacting to things etc) but you have to grind the match-ups as well. People seeing this statement and bring up the online vs offline debate but regardless of whatever reason for playing online or off your still grinding the mu and preparing for tournaments. DBD is obviously not a competitive game but they are taking the one thing that you can use to make assesments for a game like this away and like i've said before its a turnoff and personally i think its a mistake but time will tell.

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454
    edited August 2021

I think I really didn't phrase it well.

While in other games, the ranks might be even grindier, the main difference is that you don't have to rank in a max of one month. You have the rest of your life to do so.

Dbd's ranks are grindy and you only have a month to grind them.

For someone that plays as much as me, reaching high ranks after a long pause, and of course many resets, isn't easy.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

4 survivors- 5 gens 1 killer- 12 hook states

Math hard... me no figure out one harder den da other

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889

As many people already said, ranks don't say anything because of various things. The fact that red rank players are usually better than yellow ranks doesn't change that the current ranking system has flaws.

If you're that analytical you will have a hard time with Dbd, this game is super random. It's not a game where you can nail down the skill of a killer with some one-dimensional values like "kills per minute" or something like that. Every match is different. You can play against the same team 10 times and the outcome will always be different, if you have appr. the same skill level. Of course there are better or worse killers in the game, but the only way to tell this is to watch them and make long term studies. I'm also rank 1 most of the time and i'm pretty sure i'm not as good as Otz or other more famous killer players. Why? I just watch them and see them make plays i wouldn't in those situations. Of course there is no measureable value for these kind of things - you have to watch and analyse decision making, movement - it's not a simple to explain-skill like "aiming fast and precise in an ego-shooter".

If you want to get better, record your games and analyze. Ranks won't help you explaining why you made a misplay or lost or won or whatever. I really don't understand this. Since ranks are not a mirror of the survivors skill, what value does it have to see if the survivor who juked you was green or red? You have to understand the ranking system first, then you can make conclusions out of it.

• EXPERIMENTONGOD
    EXPERIMENTONGOD Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2021

This is factually wrong, the higher you rank is the harder it becomes to maintain it because you're required to earn more emblem points per trial to do so.

So yes being rank 1-4 matters and clearly shows you're more skilled than the average player.

Most of the time I can predict the killer's rank just by how he plays. I'm survivor rank 4-5 and if I depip in a trial 90% of the time the killer is rank 1. Coincidence?

Now that SBMM is in effect it's another story, but previously your rank more or less was indicative of player skill.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

I want to see ranks.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

This is why there shouldn’t be rank reset and the emblem system should be more difficult to swf.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

Ranks actually matter a little bit, but they're generally disregarded because it's a loose correlation.

Well, time played, of which ranks are a proxy, is again loosely correlated with skills.

There's no doubt that on average someone who plays more than someone else is going to be more proficient at the game. Of course, there will be outliers, but the keywords here are 'on average'.

By productivity alone, I usually can tell very quickly if I'm going against red rank survivors, or if the lobby is purple of worse.

The difference in looping might be negligeable in many cases. However, nobody stays in red ranks consistently by hiding in lockers the whole trial.

It might not look like a big divider on the surface, but it's going to carry a lot of weight when people are productive instead if being scarredy cats.

So, I don't agree with the notion that ranks are completely disjointed from skills. Even though I recognize the rank system has enormous pitfalls when it comes to that.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

The amount you need to black pip is fairly generous. As long as you aren't spending the match doing absolutely nothing or get caught out first and camped you likely will at least black pip.

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169

The reason ranks mean nothing is because ranking up is easy and it's even easier by the existence of SWF. This is why ranks hold no meaning atm. A simple revision of the requirements to rank up would make ranking up harder and feel more earned and solve rank disparity and improve SoloQ Survivor's life by having people who at least deserve the rank, might not be the best but at least there was a bigger effort to achieve the rank. In red ranks getting 2 pips is fairly challenging, you have to do alot of stuff and do it well but the first 5 ranks are basicly non existing, it's the same as starting at rank 15 but at rank 15 you're already facing green ranks and in some cases purple or red ranks.

This problem creates the scenario where manny people are in ranks that they shouldn't be and because of this sooner or later any decent killer can rank up to rank 1 which then means there's high rank killers that also don't deserve the rank, you'll definetly find enough people on higher ranks that shouldn't be there. Back in 2018 when i started and throughout 2019 i would have an easy easy time ranking up on PS4. Now the game got so bad on Console i'm not even touching it and i'm on the PS5 now... I'm just super casually logging on PC every now and then but the rank problem is even bigger here since playing on PC is easier than Console and it's also more popular for the game so rank disparity on PC is bigger.

Now add crossplay and you're multiplying the pool of undeserved ranks by the number of platforms cross-play reaches.

Introducing MMR, a whole new system, to a game which coding is pretty bad is just asking for more problems. This is why it's been close to 2 years of MMR tests. And then WE as players have no idea how the system even works. My best assumption would be the system predicting how much BP you get and if you get that BP you get X MMR, if you go higher BP you get Y MMR and if you lget ower than the estimated BP then you get less MMR until the system has enough reads on you so that it gives you matches where the estimated BP is very accurate.

Honestly because of the game's coding, the lack of info on how it works and how you can trick MMR by purposefully doing bad i think the system has no place in DbD.

If BHVR goes ahead with MMR then they will have to rebalance the entire game. Maps, Perks, Killers, add-ons. WE don't know if any killer revisions have been done with MMR in mind or if they'll have to revision everything again... There's so much BHVR doesn't tell us for such a big change. I don't think even they understand how big of a change this is.

• Edilibs

Wrong, wrong, wrong! Ranks do mean something and most of what you said i know already and the rest i just dont agree with. I know how good i am at this game and honestly i would never say x player is better than me because i know how good "I" am. Top players whether they are survivors or killers are not that different from eachother so comparing players in this game is pointless. YOU can say that those players are better than you but i will never say such a thing, this is not a fighting game where you can measure how good or bad a player is comparable to yourself. I dont need to get "better" at DBD im already godlike. The ceiling for ability in this game is not "that" high like your making it out to be. I can make conclusions and opinions about the game because i've played it a long time, and im great at it. Im a killer main but im very good with survivor too. All that means is that if something is on the line i would play killer or just that im more adaptive to playing killer bc i dont like the fact that i have to rely on another person to determine whether i win, lose, unhooking me etc.

Me too, it sucks!

Well said! Its one thing to say that ranks dont matter "much" but people are saying that it doesnt matter at all which is absolutely crazy thinking to me.

• Edilibs
    edited August 2021

I played earlier and got 5 escapes in a row but the 6th game i lost to a Twins because the team was going down real fast, i get hooked and go to second stage of hook, get rescued but by that time the game is over because everyones death hook or out the game. 1 gen done and you can guess what happened next....i died in my attempt to get my team a second wind. Why am i bringing this up?

Because at the post game lobby I CANT SEE ANY STATS TO SEE WHY WHAT JUST HAPPENED HAPPENED!!!! Why cant people grasp this!? I simply want to see the rank of my teammates (solo) and the killer so i can know "SOMETHING" and before this patch i could do that to make at least a little sense out of things but no instead im left with no answers and "on to the next game" That is very very garbage to me and whack! smh

Edit: Serious question, is there any way i can contact BHVR to make a complaint or my dislike about something in the game? Yeah its that bad! I spent money on this game so i should at least be entitled to speak my mind about something i totally disagree with.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

Bit of a strange rant, to be honest.

Ranks don't tell you why you win or lose.

If you want to continue improving, focus on yourself and how you can better adapt to the situations each trial throws at you. It sounds like you've plateaued because you let an arbitrary ranking system dictate whether or not you played well.

I think you just want the game to make excuses for your own short comings.

If you really care about why the game had a certain outcome, you'd find the answer by analyzing the gameplay.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

Just one question:

You play two matches and in both one or two survivor play like potatoes, one or two are decent and one is, like you, "godlike".

In game one you see the ranks green, purple, red, Red. This should be in accordance with what you expect/want to see.

Other game you see only red. What does this tell you for your "analytical" needs? Nothing, right? Experience in terms of hours might go from 100-5000.

So what is the difference from the system without ranks and game two?

From what u gather from this thread is that you only want visual conformation for yourself and nothing more.

• Edilibs

I never said ranks tell me why i win or lose! You simply are not understanding what im saying...I said that i want to see the ranks post game so i can better understand what had just transpired in the game i just played won or lost. Once again another person telling me something i already know lol. Dont tell me how to "adapt" to a game im super good in. Its obvious that games differ trial to trial...My own shortcomings? lmao when did i ever say i was perfect? If im losing or lost a game there could be a number of reasons for that but dont make it seem like i dont take accountability for my own actions because if i happen to play bad i'll straight away admit that in my head "oh i should have played better/smarter that game" I can still look at the post game ranks and make more of an assesment, not just by looking at the killers (or survivors) perks! When i talk about analyzing i cant obviously analyze a game i didnt record...im talking about analyzation in retrospect but i admit i should have been a little more clear on this.

Another person totally getting off point and not understanding what im saying. I can lose by playing bad bc it happens. If you paid any attention at all to what i have been saying you will see that i dont care about the mixed matchmaking, i can care less honestly at this point bc matchmaking is random. My complaint is NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE RANKS POST GAME! Everything else your said afterwards holds no relevance to the discussion with the exception of the comment you made about this being about me....

So in response to that i say this...I am not the only one who does not like that ranks are not displayed. I am the only one that is saying something about it and making emphasis on it. Alot of people are "yes" people, i am not one of those people, i dont care if my opinions etc are not popular, im an independant thinker and not a follower like most people so my views, perspectives, opinions etc wont be popular and im fine with that. Other people agree with me and or dont like not seeing post game ranks either but they arent saying anything or are talking about it on other forums, sm etc.

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889

oof you're very humble. I can't evaluate that but i can see differences in the playstyle of various top streamers and players, so... there are differences for me.

Doesnt change the fact that showing ranks doesn't really help you in any case. What is the gain in knowledge? Do you feel better if it was a rank 1 or feel worse if it was a rank 9?

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

What fighting game are you a top player in?

What's your online ID/Tournament handle?

• Edilibs
    edited August 2021

I've seen them too, they're not "that" special or unique, they're very good but not much different than me or other killers i've seen or that play at rank 1. Once again i wan to see the post rank for my own personal knowledge because it helps me get or understand the many variables that go on in my head better. I've always been that way in most of the games i play.

Im a top fighting game player period buddy mainly street fighter. Im the (self proclaimed) best "overall" Street Fighter player in the world. Im not putting my fgc tag in a dbd community one, sorry. I do use the name in Dead By Daylight when im playing though

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976
    edited August 2021

All ranks are, is an indication that those players know how to earn pips and know how to not consistently lose pips. That's literally all they need.

You can become rank 1 on either side, within 2 weeks of having installed the game.

That means, you just need 40 hours(assuming you play 2-3 hours a day on average) at most, to reach rank 1. So how do ranks matter? Sure, a green rank is more likely to be bad than good, yet, if that green rank outperforms the purple ranks, does that mean the purple ranks are worse? Does it mean the green rank was a red rank with a derank bug? Does it mean they simply dont know how to pip in the game?

Best case scenario, rank indicates that more skillful players play at red rank than at green ranks. That's it.

Saying ranks matter, is like whether the gender of the players matter. As if the gender of the person will indicate how much skill they have. Sure, there might be a trend that says one gender tends to outperform the others, but does that really matter when you're getting utterly destroyed by the gender that tends to perform less, but get heavily sandbagged by the gender that tends to outperform more? Ofcourse not

All that matters is, that regardless of the ranks you faced, you had players being objectively better or worse than you. All I personally care for, is whether or not someone got into my MMR because of SWF or because the game has unfairly put me with people who are higher/lower skilled than me because of SWF. That's the only case where I see survivor rank mattering, because more often than not, if there is 1 red rank survivor and 1 yellow rank survivor in a purple player match, there is a high likelihood of the outliers to be SWF.

• PhantomChimera
    PhantomChimera Member Posts: 668

Ranks haven't mattered in a long time. They are frequently inaccurate when it comes to a players actual skill level.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693
    edited August 2021

It is certainly an honor to meet you, Mr. Self-Proclaimed Best.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

Good luck in your next tournament.

• umad
    umad Member Posts: 57

How does MMR actually work? Im at rank 3/4 and i am consistently getting people on my team that don't seem like they've played the game at all.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152
    edited August 2021

Cool you didn't get what i was saying.

In a game with working matchmaking you, as a rank 1 are supposed to only be matched with other red ranks without exception. While we know it doesn't really work ATM, that is what the sbmmr is supposed to do and with this idea you can think of it like always being matched up with rank ones.

So your analytical needs for seeing ranks in after game would become meaningless because it should always show only red ranks or rank 1.

But since that isn't the case with the actual system,so they take the ranks out to avoid psychological issues when people still see rainbow ranks during sbmmr which is caused by unskilled red ranks and good or smurfing rainbow ranks and the sbmmr not caring for rank rather than behaviours ratings for skill. But other people told you that ranks during sbmmr are not correlated for matchmaking and therefore useless and you didn't get it so i will stop participating in this thread. No use talking to a Brick wall.

Fact is you don't get to see ranks during sbmmr and they will be back once they turn it off again. And either they they stay when sbmmr is scrapped or if sbmmr is here to stay at some point the ranks in after game will be gone for good with them becoming useless over time, so prepare yourself for that eventuality.

Post edited by burt0r on
  • ich_häng_mal_rum
    ich_häng_mal_rum Member Posts: 435

@lemonsway

That‘s so true.

The biggest issue with the ranking system/ rank based matchmaking is that it’s to easy to rankup. As they changed the emblem system a few years ago, all survivors were crying „I can’t pip anymore“ and so the devs make it easier for survivors again and so we get all the boosted players. The result was to many player are in higher ranks as they deserve and this brought us this rainbow lobbies and „unfair“ matchmaking like a yellow killer against red rank survivors. In my opinion the devs should make piping harder and then work with the rank based matchmaking instead of a weird mmr

• 51uk4y
    51uk4y Member Posts: 34

Soooooo... after reading SOME of these walls of text, I'd say some of you are just projecting your personal experience (and that's valid since that's the only accurate source of info you guys can base your argument on). I just have to point that out cause we have to see that other people might experience DBD very differently.

And to respond to OP, you're not against removing ranks. You should be for the current skill-based system. You just want to know how each player is tiered on that skill-based system (and I agree). So instead of saying 'SO RANKS DON'T MATTER HUH???', couldn't you have just said 'so why not show the skill level of each player'? Unless you think ranks are more reflective of skill level but you seem to also see that ranks are mostly based on playtime.

• ich_häng_mal_rum
    ich_häng_mal_rum Member Posts: 435

@51uk4y

for me it feels a bit weird to have no indicator after the match about the skill level of the other players.

Of course ranks are not the best way, but when I see a rank 1 killer he couldn’t be a full potato. Only if you see someone between rank 4-13 it could be the player is normally better but maybe he plays not that much.

• umad

I just want to play with people around my rank. The people i'm getting have under 30 hours in the game, its absurd. And it never happened before MMR, so im just confused.

• umad

Im also noticing that my fellow XBOX players tend to be the worst, and that I am getting a lot of the same people on my team in solo q (PC or console).

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,177

My concern with seeing ranks was that it does nothing other than give an excuse. The only benefit is to say someone played badly because they were playing with lower ranks as a form of justification for poor play. Sure, sometimes players could be paired either with inexperienced players, or even meme players, but often the complaint arises as a way to excuse someone having to look at their own mistakes.

If those people look at how they can improve, rather than looking for an excuse to not tale responsibility, it would become a much more civil and empathetic place to be.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

This thread is getting cringe.

You gain absolutely nothing of significance by seeing other players' ranks.

• EXPERIMENTONGOD
    EXPERIMENTONGOD Member Posts: 36

Yep, 90% of the times you get stomped are because a huge disparity between the killer and survivor's rank.

So seeing the ranks at the end of the game is extremely useful and in fact shows the issues of the current matchmaking system in DBD.