SBMM in a nutshell.

Options

Tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, tunneling, Insiduous Basement Camping Leatherface, tunneling, tunneling.

It's all me and my friends have gotten and we are sick of it. All 3 of us preferred When we got matched with people who were good at the game because when we got hooked we actually had a chance to play afterwards, now as soon as we go down we might as well just walk away because we won't get to play even if we get saved.

Sometimes we get the match that is ACTUALLY fair, but that doesn't happen enough to matter.

If "Skill Based Matchmaking" goes off of peoples skill, why are we getting killers who's only "Skill" is camping?

And before you say "JuSt DoN't gO dOwN" There's only so long you can run the killer before you have nothing left on the map.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Do you play killer sometimes?

• The_BiggCheeze
    The_BiggCheeze Member Posts: 458
    Options

I used to main killer, was rank 1 for like 3 months in a row before I started losing interest. I'd play killer now but given what I'm dealing with as survivor, I'm not going to deal with it.

• rha
    rha Member Posts: 412
    edited August 2021
    Options

Well these people sadly do exist and somebody's got to play against them. In the "old" rank-based systems the really hard tunnelers who did their best to remove one survivor from the game before the first gen gets done, and killers who were facecamping at five gens that I encountered, were mostly rank 1, so it's not like the new system could be any worse in classifying them. In fact the reason why I play very, very little survivor is that I can keep myself in the middle of the rank range and don't need to go against red rank killers so I don't need to waste half of my build on "essentials to get to play the game" BT and DS and can run variety builds because most mid-rank killers don't camp or tunnel.

I would totally agree that it is hardly skillful with how boring games some killers get their pity kill and still maintain rank 1, but if you assign them a low "skill" score they'll just get 4k after 4k against new players who have little chance of countering this kind of play properly.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,988
    Options

Tunneling, camping, and slugging are the most efficient methods to win. If your mmr is high, you will run into killers with high mmr. It also seems to care about kills more than hooks, because I have been getting easy survivors myself and I spare a lot of people nowadays.

• The_BiggCheeze
    Options

Oh so just die over and over until I get matches that I'll have SOME semblance of fun in? SBMM is so well implemented if it's that easy to go against low skill players. What a joke this game is becoming.

• The_BiggCheeze
    Options

Ah, because mentioning friends automatically means we're in a swf group, did you even think before typing that?

• FatallyIconic
    FatallyIconic Member Posts: 270
    edited August 2021
    Options

It's just the way the game is at high MMR. It sucks for sure. When you play killer against a high skilled SWF, you pretty much have to tunnel early and/or slug late-game otherwise the gens get done WAY too fast. If I go against bad survivors or survivors who are memeing and messing about I won't slug or tunnel and I will play really nice.

Games where 2/3 gens pop in the first 45 seconds of the match and everyone has brought Commodius toolboxes with Brand new parts, means that it's time to play dirty, which is almost every single game at high MMR.

This is the reason for a lot of people being against the new MMR system. It's simply not fun at high MMR because killers will get 4-man sweat squads, and survivors will usually get nurses, blights and spirit every match which makes it boring.

• Kyxlect
    Kyxlect Member Posts: 230
    Options

The fact that you mentioned your friends throughout your original post implies that you are SWF's. Why even mention them if you're not? Are you not able to comprehend how that could easily be misconstrued?

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 1,974
    Options

Tunneling is the most efficient tactic for killers. The more skillful the killer is - the more likely he will tunnel.

• The_BiggCheeze
    Options

I bring them up because we all are experiencing the same thing, every killer has noed, or is a leatherface, or a tunneler. I bring them up because I'm not the only one experiencing crappy mmr. We rarely play together and when we do it's no different than when we are solo q.

Don't assume everyone who brings up friends is a sweaty swf.

• The_BiggCheeze
    Options

If you tunnel someone off first hook right after they're saved with no gens done, you're not that skillful.

• The_BiggCheeze
    Options

This is one of the most well crafted comments I have ever seen.

• ggallinftw
    ggallinftw Member Posts: 351
    Options

My question is how many games in a row do you need to get 4k'd before the mmr decides you shouldn't play against nurse every other match?

• Yankus
    Yankus Member Posts: 638
    Options

It's really ruined survivor for me and my friends. I am a rank 1 killer main who only tunnels if the unhooked person is the only survivor I can find but that is the extent of it. Literally every single game has a killer who will ignore survivors directly infront of them to go after the exact same survivor they just tunneled the two hooks before. We used to play every night but two of them are taking a break from dbd because it's just not fun anymore with the hard tunneling that happens every single game. I've actually noticed the killer queues getting longer because there are less survivors queueing.

• InsatiableMop
    InsatiableMop Member Posts: 325
    Options

Even if they are a SWF it doesn't mean collectively they are any good, most SWFs aren't.

• VaJaybles
    VaJaybles Member Posts: 658
    Options

This! Everyone thinks swf is a boogyman. Me and my friends will gladly throw just to save eachother usually saying "I'll die with youuuuu!!" Or when we do get stomped "first game doesn't count" even if it's the 12th game. And whoever dies first can't have perks the next round. So handicap

• InsatiableMop
    InsatiableMop Member Posts: 325
    Options

Yeah, a lot of other killers on here have been emotionally hurt by a hyper competitive team once and the scars still haunt them. Even though those teams are like 1/30. Most SWFs end up throwing just as hard as solo players self caring in corners.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608
    Options

That's implying that it doesn't happen in solo queue and non meta builds.

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140
    Options

This game is designed with survivors committing mistakes on mind, the higher the MMR the less mistakes they make. If you want to win at higher ranks you need to tunnel and camp when it's valuable to do or you get stomped. That's how the game is. Specially when it's a swf and they get told where the killer is and get to Shift W before you can get to push the gen and bodyblock m1s of injured survivors.

Survivors won't let you get a free hook when you make a mistake, they will click and tbag. Don't expect killers to not capitalize on your mistakes. Welcome to ranked.

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481
    Options

DBD is in an awkward position where it is undeniably a hardcore competitive game (No real rubber banding, extreme snowballing for both sides, both sides can take extreme advantage of misplays on the other team's side, and optimal play often not being intuitive and based on systems knowledge), but it isn't really... a well designed competitive game.

So in a hardcore competitive game you can't 'take it easy' on an opponent unless you have some sort of read that tells you it's 'safe' to do so. In this context, camping when you expect a fast hook rescue is like grabbing when you expect your opponent can't tech throws in a fighting game and is just non-stop blocking: it is actually both the highest skill play you can make AND you HAVE to make that play.

This is why most killers don't want SBMM in the game: Killer is forced to sweat twice as hard as survivors for a LOT of reasons (no downtime, for example, if the killer wants to take a moment to breath they just lose, while the survivors can relax and re-orientate while healing, or on a gen, or any number of things), and the killer is punished MUCH harder for small mistakes (A survivor mishandling a chase looses a hook state, a killer mishandling one chase loses the game as 3 gens pop), which means that in 'close' games the killer has no real room to be anything but the biggest sweatlord.

And that isn't a condemnation or saying camping is 'low skill.' In fact, it is important to understand that most of the skill of DBD for a killer has very little to do with chases and is more a time management game. Running in a circle around a loop waiting for you to throw a pallet kinda ######### sucks and is bad gameplay, but trying to evaluate things like deadzones or optimal pressure on a slugged target is actually fun for the killer because they get to think and apply skill and out-manuver you. Same with camping, there is actually a way to 'optimally camp' and camping counterplay. So even outside SBMM it is actually kinda fun and skillful for a killer to camp or slug if they know it will screw you up, it is their JOB to screw you up and the tools they have that let them make CHOICES to screw you up involve being mean to you, as is the case in most competitive games.

So camping is sorta an inevitability mechanically, and even if systems were introduced to make it less attractive (ex: Tying gen repair to hook states so the killer wasn't in a position where they absolutely HAVE to kill a survivor ASAP to have a chance vs a good survivor team, which they MUST assume you are until proven otherwise), the game gets worse for the killer if you force them to just loop in chases all the time. It isn't that survivors shouldn't loop, but you should be aware that, at least at strong loops for most killers, it is exactly as exciting to be in that situation as to be sitting on a hook staring at Bubba camping you, and most killers will minimize that time via long term strategies like slugging and camping to force more and more survivors out of strong areas into weaker ones.

• DeadByFrameLag
    DeadByFrameLag Member Posts: 56
    Options

If you stop genrushing, dont put keys or toolboxes i stop tunneling and camping. Can you do it?

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,851
    Options

Face camping and tunneling at Rank 1?? My experience pre-SBMM was the opposite. Red rank killers were skilled enough not to have to resort to those cheap tactics. They could legit 4K treating every recently unhooked survivor like they had DS/BT (ignore them). It was the rank 6 players and below that tunneled and camped. When I first got the game it took forever to get out from that elo hell. Now I’m struggling to get out again because of this SMBB. Not sure if it’s a placebo, but it feels like the rank reset from 2 days ago made it worse. Maybe it doesn’t really effect the SBMM test, idk.

Personally, I rather get owned by a sliding rank 1 Blight than face camped by a level 8 Bubba because I ran him for 3 or 4 gens.

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759
    Options

you mean given what you dish out as survivor you don't want to deal with that as killer?

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 1,974
    Options

By "stop genrushing" you mean "stop playing the game and go AFK for several minutes"?

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

I know you are exaggerating but I don't see a lie OP.

Most of my survivor matches are about the same.

But in the other hand if you play killer right now you honestly have to tunnel and slug for an easier time.

Went from rank 2 to rank 5 today as survivor (I main killer) it is just a tunnel fest, DS is a must as of right now if you want to play survivor.

• The_BiggCheeze
    Options

Given what SBMM is giving me as survivor, it'll be just as bad if I play killer. And given killer is the more stressful side to play, I'm not going to bother dealing with it.

• DeadByFrameLag
    DeadByFrameLag Member Posts: 56
    Options
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Let me sum up matches where killers don´t camp:

gen rush, gen rush, gen rush, gen rush, rush gens, dc on first hit, gen rush, rush gens, rush gens, rush hooks, gen rush, gen rush, etc.

Ah yes, this game is so much fun for everyone who tries to play "fair".

• ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal Member Posts: 326
    Options

Camping pretty much is the same as going afk except you're mindlessly staring at a person for an entire match hoping it'll count as a win getting this one hook.

• ZaroktheImmortal
    Options

Not every one has a SWF gen rush group. Hell solo ques you're lucky to get competent team mates at all.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options
  • Axx
    Axx Member Posts: 392
    Options

This is a PvP game. If the survivors are trying to win, you have to play to win as killer. You got to tunnel, slug and camp when appropriate. If you don't, you lose. Playing nice = throwing the game.

• ZaroktheImmortal
    Options

I don't tend to camp or tunnel myself and still get plenty of kills. Slugging well depends on the situation like if another killer is right there and I think I can get them without someone else healing the other or if they're the only two left I may as well go for the other. Only thing with slugging when other team mates are up is you risk losing any you've already downed if there's any more still around.

• ZaroktheImmortal
    Options

Camping a single survivor tends to be very counter productive killers who camp rarely get many blood points and any decent groups can get the gens done and just get out while you sit on one person. Though I've had matches with team mates in randoms where we were able to counter campers and they got no kills.

• Bluerry
    Bluerry Member Posts: 233
    edited August 2021
    Options

omg people are real thinking tunneling is a skill ######### ?

Saying tunneling is a tactic and this is how you win means you are not skillfull enough to beat survivors and they are stronger than killer I know that and ı'm not complaining about it at least not this time

In SBMM you are supposed to get a killer in your skill

being a Rank 1 or red doesn't mean you are skillfull and this sytem should've shown that but it made it worse. The only thing I got was worse teammates or less skillfull but salty tunneler/campers

first of Devs should ve been able to tell what is skill and what is not

Post edited by Rizzo on