Advice on learning Spirit?

Options
Poweas
Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

I just got her and I'm so excited to learn her anyone got advice for me?

Comments

• Poweas
    Options

I'm also a killer main rn btw. I will probably main killer until February or March depending on how I like it.

• alivebydeadight
    alivebydeadight Member Posts: 1,559
    Options

slurrp first mindgames with her only work in the lower ranks like 15-20, so a good thing to use her for is mindgame survivors to the point that they actually thing you are attempting a mind game, she is really good at shack mindgames, if the survivor does not believe you at first being the phase shift and hit them, even if they are walking get lucky, then the mindgames can begin due to them not believing if your trying to preform a mindgame or not, now its time for perks

Perks that are good on other killers are somewhat bad on spirit, aura reading perks do not work while using phase walk so bbq is a terrible perk on her, but noed and ruin are decent, rancor is situational and not preferred on her due to her being easy to take down the obsession and the perk ds( I will explain that later) and her ability to phase walk works a charm with the perk bloodhound mixed with the add on fathers glasses(allows you to see blood while phase walking), 4th perk in my opinion will be surprising but using the perk bamboozle works well on her and her learning curve

DS can be countered well with this killer due to phase walk, allowing you to catch up to the survivor in seconds due to them running away

I will place more in here to help you play her if you need too

• Poweas
    Options

@alivebydeadight said:
    slurrp first mindgames with her only work in the lower ranks like 15-20, so a good thing to use her for is mindgame survivors to the point that they actually thing you are attempting a mind game, she is really good at shack mindgames, if the survivor does not believe you at first being the phase shift and hit them, even if they are walking get lucky, then the mindgames can begin due to them not believing if your trying to preform a mindgame or not, now its time for perks

Perks that are good on other killers are somewhat bad on spirit, aura reading perks do not work while using phase walk so bbq is a terrible perk on her, but noed and ruin are decent, rancor is situational and not preferred on her due to her being easy to take down the obsession and the perk ds( I will explain that later) and her ability to phase walk works a charm with the perk bloodhound mixed with the add on fathers glasses(allows you to see blood while phase walking), 4th perk in my opinion will be surprising but using the perk bamboozle works well on her and her learning curve

DS can be countered well with this killer due to phase walk, allowing you to catch up to the survivor in seconds due to them running away

Wow thanks that's actually really helpful. Would sloppy be a good choice on her?

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428
    Options

On the contrary. Mind games in low ranks do not work because low ranks do not understand how Spirit works. They just keep running to the next pallet. Mind games work a lot better in high ranks, but its about knowing when to mind game and when not to.

Um... BBQ is OUTSTANDING on her, just like it is for Nurse and Hillbilly. Aura reading perks are generally bad on her, correct, but only those who you dont have control over. BBQ is the only perk of those who killers have full control of when it triggers. Just hook someone, check surroundings, acquire target, then phase. Same benefits as every other high mobility killer.
  • PapaAndrei
    PapaAndrei Member Posts: 72
    Options
    Embrace the spook, become the spook, take the spook on a date, marry the spook, have a family with the spook.

now you can Spirit
  • Crizpen
    Crizpen Member Posts: 129
    edited December 2018
    Options

@alivebydeadight said:

I disagree with BBQ being "a terrible perk on her." She has the ability to move across the map extremely quickly; seeing survivor auras during those 4 seconds and being able to close the distance quickly, allows her to capitalize on that information better than most killers. Not to mention, the bloodpoints.

It's interesting you recommend Bloodhound then, over BBQ, when it requires the ultra-rare Father's Glasses to benefit. Sure, it's handy sometimes, but not most matches because you won't have that many glasses.

@Poweas

Stridor is excellent for her, because it does help you hear where the survivor moved to after entering your phasing. That's super helpful to counter the negative of not being able to see them, if they're injured or not.

Hex: Ruin, always a good perk for any killer. It isn't strictly necessary, as you get better with her, but it will always help to one degree or another.

As for Sloppy Butcher, if you're using Father's Glasses and Bloodhound or not, Sloppy will always slow down the pace of the game, and that's good for any killer, just like Ruin. And it's not like you can't see the blood outside of phasing, to make it easier to track an injured survivor.

I would say the best add-on's for her are: Ruin, Sloppy, BBQ, Discordance, Monitor and Abuse and Stridor. Obviously, you can't take them all into every match, but depending on your add-on's, you should be able to put together some solid builds from those. You could also use Haunted Grounds to get the exhaustion on survivors attempting to destroy your Ruin.

As for add-on's, her best is Prayer Beads. Being able to approach a generator you can hear is being worked on and grabbing the survivor off of it can't be replaced. The add-on also works really well with builds like Ruin & Thrill of the Hunt, allowing you to grab survivors off the totems. Or using the new Legion perk Discordance, to know when two survivors are working on a single gen and grabbing one of them off. But most of her add-on's are pretty powerful in their own right, so you don't have to rely on Beads for every match.

On mind games, don't discount standing still after a survivor drops a pallet. They may very well think you're phasing, and vault the pallet right into your arms. Likewise, standing still at a window for a few seconds looks the same as if she's vaulting the window behind a survivor, and they may very well loop back to you for a second jump, only to get smacked down. But what you'll find most useful is, when entering a loop, phase and leave your husk to body-block the survivor passing through the pallet again. They either have to abandon the loop, or take a hit to complete it.

Without Prayer Beads, she's still a powerful killer. IMO, in the top 3, along with Nurse and Billy. Unlike those two though, there aren't strange movement mechanics to practice and get used to. She's easier to learn, IMO than either of the others, and almost as deadly. Additionally, there aren't real negatives for a mistake, like a long fatigue or stun from hitting a wall. So, she's a bit more forgiving to newer players than Nurse or Billy.

Here's Tru3Ta1ent using Spirit at Rank 1. He's using Haunted Grounds, Enduring, Bitter Murmur and Ruin, which doesn't fit well with my play style, and may be a sub-optimal build for her, but he still destroys that group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PHqpA9SyYU

• Crizpen
    Options

One other thing, if you're new to killer: learn how to hide your red stain. You don't see it while you're playing, but the survivors do. Often, they can see it, not just on the floor around the corner, but through the walls and floors.

The red stain tells survivors where you're looking, and usually the direction you're running. But if you hide it, you can hit a survivor quickly around a corner, after walking backward, before they see you and can drop a pallet.

That's true for every killer, not just Spirit.

• alivebydeadight
    Options

@Crizpen said:

@alivebydeadight said:

I disagree with BBQ being "a terrible perk on her." She has the ability to move across the map extremely quickly; seeing survivor auras during those 4 seconds and being able to close the distance quickly, allows her to capitalize on that information better than most killers. Not to mention, the bloodpoints.

It's interesting you recommend Bloodhound then, over BBQ, when it requires the ultra-rare Father's Glasses to benefit. Sure, it's handy sometimes, but not most matches because you won't have that many glasses.

@Poweas

Stridor is excellent for her, because it does help you hear where the survivor moved to after entering your phasing. That's super helpful to counter the negative of not being able to see them, if they're injured or not.

Hex: Ruin, always a good perk for any killer. It isn't strictly necessary, as you get better with her, but it will always help to one degree or another.

As for Sloppy Butcher, if you're using Father's Glasses and Bloodhound or not, Sloppy will always slow down the pace of the game, and that's good for any killer, just like Ruin. And it's not like you can't see the blood outside of phasing, to make it easier to track an injured survivor.

I would say the best add-on's for her are: Ruin, Sloppy, BBQ, Discordance, Monitor and Abuse and Stridor. Obviously, you can't take them all into every match, but depending on your add-on's, you should be able to put together some solid builds from those. You could also use Haunted Grounds to get the exhaustion on survivors attempting to destroy your Ruin.

As for add-on's, her best is Prayer Beads. Being able to approach a generator you can hear is being worked on and grabbing the survivor off of it can't be replaced. The add-on also works really well with builds like Ruin & Thrill of the Hunt, allowing you to grab survivors off the totems. Or using the new Legion perk Discordance, to know when two survivors are working on a single gen and grabbing one of them off. But most of her add-on's are pretty powerful in their own right, so you don't have to rely on Beads for every match.

On mind games, don't discount standing still after a survivor drops a pallet. They may very well think you're phasing, and vault the pallet right into your arms. Likewise, standing still at a window for a few seconds looks the same as if she's vaulting the window behind a survivor, and they may very well loop back to you for a second jump, only to get smacked down. But what you'll find most useful is, when entering a loop, phase and leave your husk to body-block the survivor passing through the pallet again. They either have to abandon the loop, or take a hit to complete it.

Without Prayer Beads, she's still a powerful killer. IMO, in the top 3, along with Nurse and Billy. Unlike those two though, there aren't strange movement mechanics to practice and get used to. She's easier to learn, IMO than either of the others, and almost as deadly. Additionally, there aren't real negatives for a mistake, like a long fatigue or stun from hitting a wall. So, she's a bit more forgiving to newer players than Nurse or Billy.

Here's Tru3Ta1ent using Spirit at Rank 1. You'll see he does the "fake window vault" to down the Claudette. He's using Haunted Grounds, Enduring, Bitter Murmur and Devour Hope, which doesn't fit well with my play style, and may be a sub-optimal build for her, but he still destroys that group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSllVNNrKnU

I used to be a spirit main and bbq will be cancelled upon using phase walk

• alivebydeadight
    Options

@Poweas said:

@alivebydeadight said:

Wow thanks that's actually really helpful. Would sloppy be a good choice on her?

yes sloppy is amazing due to mindgames being amazing on her, fathers glasses and sloppy butcher is strong af

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    Options
    Stand still at a pallet and watch what they do. A lot of survivors aren't sure if you're phase walking or not.

If they run away - phase walk and pursue

If they think your phase walking, they might jump over

If they stand there unsure then I tend to phase walk around.

Also invest in a good pair of headphones if you can afford it. It will make a huge difference.

A perk that I think is great on her is Nurse's calling. I've spotted people so many times with this. Then you can phase walk over to them and tjey have no idea you're coming.
  • Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,431
    edited December 2018
    Options

@alivebydeadight said:

Do not listen to this, bad advice.

BBQ is GODLIKE on her. She has great map coverage through her phase walk. BBQ and especially with MYC is insane. You will ping pong from hook to survivor over and over. Bamboozle is completely pointless, windows aren't an issue at all for her. Stridor is extremely good for her as it's all about the sound and good headphones. Also helps some with how popular Iron Will is these days.

Last perk is your choice for slow down, Ruin or Sloppy. I prefer ruin.

Use the scratch marks for getting their general area and direction but it's all in the sounds and predicting survivor movements. If the scratch marks abruptly end they are either doubling back on you or walking away. This is where Stridor is good.

You can simply stand still at a lot of pallets and they will assume you are phasing and simply hop over into you.

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Options
    There is lots of good advice.
    Especially this staple. Get some headphones. As long as they're stereo. 
    I'm running cheap ones plugged into my ps4 controller and it helps immensely. Expensive ones are sometimes just cheap ones with a brand.

You will want to hear survivors making noise near you. It's great for all killers, but because you're 2/3 blind in phase walk (can't see survivors, or blood, just scratch marks) , sound will help.
    They stop, make noise as they try to go to the side, you hear, and chase.

Also make sure the left  and right of the headphones are easily discernible. Not much worse than hearing a generator to your left on the right side, and ending up having to swap ear buds. 

• Crizpen
    Options

@alivebydeadight said:

@Crizpen said:

@alivebydeadight said:

@Poweas

Here's Tru3Ta1ent using Spirit at Rank 1. You'll see he does the "fake window vault" to down the Claudette. He's using Haunted Grounds, Enduring, Bitter Murmur and Devour Hope, which doesn't fit well with my play style, and may be a sub-optimal build for her, but he still destroys that group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSllVNNrKnU

I used to be a spirit main and bbq will be cancelled upon using phase walk

Yes, it's only good for those same 4 seconds anyone else gets, and if you phase immediately, you don't get all 4 seconds. However, because of her speed, Spirit can capitalize on that information more than: Pig, Trapper, Wraith, Huntress, Myers, Hag, Leatherface, Doctor, Freddy, Clown or Legion.

Just because you can cancel the effect, doesn't mean the information is worth less on Spirit. It's worth more, because she can get to the survivors faster than other killers, and avoid them moving too far from where they were seen.

• Crizpen
    Options

@Rebel_Raven said:
    There is lots of good advice.
    Especially this staple. Get some headphones. As long as they're stereo. 
    I'm running cheap ones plugged into my ps4 controller and it helps immensely. Expensive ones are sometimes just cheap ones with a brand.

You will want to hear survivors making noise near you. It's great for all killers, but because you're 2/3 blind in phase walk (can't see survivors, or blood, just scratch marks) , sound will help.
    They stop, make noise as they try to go to the side, you hear, and chase.

Also make sure the left  and right of the headphones are easily discernible. Not much worse than hearing a generator to your left on the right side, and ending up having to swap ear buds. 

Sound is everything while she's phased, absolutely, and good headphones are almost a must.

You'll notice while chasing someone, the scratch marks don't appear where they are; they're always slightly behind, so it's a good idea to over-estimate where they'll be when you break phasing for the hit.

Another piece of advice that's precious for Spirit: she has collision while phasing. This can be used during a chase, if you suddenly can't move forward for no good reason, it's because you're on the survivor. But more often, it's useful to figure out what side of a generator a survivor is on before breaking phase for the grab. Just take a second and make sure they're where you think they are and you can avoid a chase all together. Of course, this is most easily used with Prayer Beads, when they have no idea you're nearby.