The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Mathieus 5 year life span comment won't work

Okuu46
Okuu46 Member Posts: 93
edited December 2018 in General Discussions

Back at the game of the year awards; Mathieu made a comment stating they want too try and keep the game alive for 5 years;
my real question is, how the hell are they going to do that?

The player base has been dwindling since the release of the game, it only peaks for a week or so when a new killer/survivor comes out; not only that but the community itself is always at each others throats, taking to the forums when one side gets buffed or Nerf, its insane on how bad this community can get sometimes; its like no one can agree on one simple thing; I mean don't get me wrong, i've seen some pretty toxic communities, but this; this community takes the whole cake, sometimes the community gets so bad they reach out to the edge of the toxic abyss and never come back from it.

I've seen tournaments get destroyed by this, i've seen players lead on exploits and toxicity in the game just for pure entertainment Looking at you ochido i've seen die-hard fans crash and burn because of certain backlashes towards them in the game even though they where just having fun, i've seen people take this game so seriously to the point where they think every match they win or lose is going too effect their records of getting in the big leagues, even though there isn't a league for this game; i mean jesus...

Plus whenever something new comes out like a map sort of say; the game gets galore with new bugs and glitches from that specific map; leaving the toxic community too exploit those bugs for more entertainment; it's like most of the content they release sometimes feels like it's rushed in; the devs seem like they want too focus on getting content out rather then slowing down and focus on the main problems of the game; yes i understand they have a mid chapter patchs, but sometimes that one patch isn't enough and it only fixes the bugs that was from that previous content release.
its like when one patch of bugs get fixed and implemented into the game, an entirely new patch of bugs spring up due to that patch, it's crazy.
and to add too all this, it seems like the devs are starting to not appreciate it as much as before; its like they seem like they no longer care much for the game anymore, all the enthusiasm they had back then during the release has shimmered away; for example whenever they talk about new updates coming too the game, theirs like a sense of feeling coming from them that there forced to do this, every time. where they have this sort of mindset that its just a tedious chore now to come out with updates, events and so on; they just want to get finished and out of the way with it as soon as possible.
like the previous events for example; the literal attitude i feel they betray when something like that happens is like; "Oh, you mean that event? the event is already here; just grab everything and get out."

I don't know, for how long i've been apart of this game; i simply cannot see this game going on for almost 5 years; maybe a sequel can help it, but with the rate this game has been going, i can see it alive for another year or two...

Comments

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Dont give too much about words, especially when they come from certain BHVR employees.
    The number of cote memes is ridiculous by now.

And in the end, if DBD doesnt stay alive for 5 years, we can still play civilization :smile:

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

It's an ambitious number because saying only another year or two is not something the current base or potential customer wants to hear. It's all for marketing. Meanwhile, they may come up with another project while they keep releasing DLCs to keep the current product active. That's how most of the companies work that produce MMOs.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    Master said:

Dont give too much about words, especially when they come from certain BHVR employees.
    The number of cote memes is ridiculous by now.

And in the end, if DBD doesnt stay alive for 5 years, we can still play civilization :smile:

Hun, they can keep the game alive for more than 5 years of they really wanted to. Other games proved you wrong by saying it's possible such as TF2 (I don't play it), L4D 1 & 2 (I use to play it), and etc. I know BHVR can screw up because they are human but you need to have some faith Master. Whether or not you believe this statement, BHVR bust their butt just to provide you a good quality game. Maybe it's about time "everyone" (not just you) show them how much you care for their game and have some faith in their words for once.
  • TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

Nothing wrong with making long term goals in the hopes to reach them.

If you don't reach for anything.. Then you might aswell give up right?

• ErgoPr0xy
    ErgoPr0xy Member Posts: 31

IF they do want to make the game last longer they will need to add more play in game complex mechanics and new game modes to keep players interested who might end up having 10k hrs. If they can do just that the game will last. Just look at WOT (World of Tanks).

• Onionthing
    Onionthing Member Posts: 469
    edited December 2018

game is 2 year old, going on its 3rd ... Reports say the opposite, instead that more people are playing. However if they drop the game in the next two years i cant say i would blame them; Its not as if people show them much gratitude you know, here on their own forums (reddit is a lil bit better.) Seriously telling me I suck all the time burns me out, thats why I turned my chat off lol. I bet they would feel the same way.

• Okuu46
    edited December 2018
    Zaram said:

"The player base has been dwindling since the release of the game"
    Stopped reading there.
    https://steamcharts.com/app/381210
    From 13k to 17k, BuT tHe GaMe Is DyInG

That's the thing; you miss the point and didn't read it fully :/ I explain in my previous post that the ratings go up when theirs new content, and goes back to the same point when the hype dies down.

we just had the legion release; it will go back down in a couple of weeks. As of every content; so yes the game is slowly dying in a sense, since the release of the game it used to be over 25k now its about 10 to 15k without the hype.

• akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123

The playerbase has increased it just goes through and ebb and flow with other game releases but it tends to stabilize. DBD has a real niche of both being a casual party game and asymmetrical horror game with famous killers in it's roster so it has a broad appeal. Main "problem" the game has is that the killers are not scary and spooky enough imo, the only killers that give me spooks are Myers and Spirit. There also isn't enough horror scenery in the maps (dead bodies, mutilations, weird collectible #########, ghosts, insects like maggots and centipedes crawling around, deathtraps)

• NMCKE
    edited December 2018

I have a feeling this game isn't growing that much is because it belongs to an exotic kind of genre of games. If you were to tell someone to check out a game that's a FPS they'll be more than willing to check it out since they're most likely familiar with those types of games. However, if you tell them to check out this asymmetrical competetive "horror" hide and seek game they'd be pretty hesitant and won't be very willing to put their money into it. They need to advertise and market this game more often to drag as much people in to try it. I've also noticed the playerbase usually grew by a bit after each free weekend so that also might help.

But it's not bad to set goals you want to achieve no matter how big they are. If you have no goal then you'll lose motivation and anything you've been working towards will die out slowly.

Like I said to @Master, goals are a important aspect in life. No goals means you're just having a blind run and won't get far. However as a community, we should have more faith in the developers.

@EntityDispleased About your spoiler... You should remove it since it is classified as starting an open argument with a mod. MandyTalk (the coolest mod ever) was nice enough to let me know that and edit my comments without punishing me.

• azazer
    azazer Member Posts: 446
    It's going strong, but my question is what will happen when consoles upgrade to the next gen. PC can play the same game forever but will console players be satisfied? Sony put an end to backwards compatibility so consoles will likely have to re buy the game, cosmetics, and grind the blood web again and it's not the most appealing proposition. I think they would be doing themselves a favor by planning for dbd2 unless they want to just cater to PC long term
  • Zaram
    Zaram Member Posts: 36

@Okuu46 said:
    Zaram said:

"The player base has been dwindling since the release of the game"

Stopped reading there.

https://steamcharts.com/app/381210

From 13k to 17k, BuT tHe GaMe Is DyInG

That's the thing; you miss the point and didn't read it fully :/ I explain in my previous post that the ratings go up when theirs new content, and goes back to the same point when the hype dies down.

we just had the legion release; it will go back down in a couple of weeks. As of every content; so yes the game is slowly dying in a sense, since the release of the game it used to be over 25k now its about 10 to 15k without the hype.

Look at the average players. Peak number doesn't mean much.
    And your numbers are absolut off. We have much more than 10-15k at the lowest peak.

• NMCKE

@Nickenzie said:
    EntityDispleased said:

I have a feeling this game isn't growing that much is because it belongs to an exotic kind of genre of games. If you were to tell someone to check out a game that's a FPS they'll be more than willing to check it out since they're most likely familiar with those types of games. However, if you tell them to check out this asymmetrical competetive "horror" hide and seek game they'd be pretty hesitant and won't be very willing to put their money into it. They need to advertise and market this game more often to drag as much people in to try it. I've also noticed the playerbase usually grew by a bit after each free weekend so that also might help.

But it's not bad to set goals you want to achieve no matter how big they are. If you have no goal then you'll lose motivation and anything you've been working towards will die out slowly.

(Spoiler)

@EntityDispleased About your spoiler... You should remove it since it is classified as starting an open argument with a mod. MandyTalk (the coolest mod ever) was nice enough to let me know that and edit my comments without punishing me.

So warning someone about something being bannable is bannable now? :/ Thanks though.

Apparently, but I won't question it.

Anyways, back on topic, what can you see in Dead by Daylight in 5 years?
  • RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436
    edited December 2018

What you see is what you're exposed to.

The majority of this game's playerbase are kind, always sending a gg end game.

Forums are a place for people to voice their opinion. Nobody feels the need to point out their love for the game, it's common knowledge we have an urge to express our negative feedback over our positive.

The game's playerbase is clearly strong enough for them to announce Dedicated Servers and another (kind of) roadmap or plan. Dedicated Servers was out of question for the longest time, mind you.

I don't see this game dying, the only problem is the lack of beginner friendliness which I'd say is the main reason for not having more of a peak of playerbase.

The vast majority of players don't come to the forums. At all.

• Okuu46
    Nickenzie said:

@Nickenzie said:
    EntityDispleased said:

(Spoiler)

So warning someone about something being bannable is bannable now? :/ Thanks though.

Apparently, but I won't question it.

Anyways, back on topic, what can you see in Dead by Daylight in 5 years?
    Not a whole lot i guess :/ besides dedicated servers