Sad we're losing licensing to Stranger Things...

TwitchyMike
TwitchyMike Member Posts: 759
edited August 2021 in General Discussions

What ever the reason is it's sad. I have had my Netflix canceled for almost a year now. My GF has netflix so I'll just keep using hers. I love Stranger things and I really hope Netflix decides to do business with BHVR again because as time goes on there could've been more DLC content related to Stranger Things. I mean not too long ago we just got new skins for Stranger Things and now it's being announced that it's over. Just all feels like a let down. That means any new players who come into DBD won't have the opportunity to play 3 characters in the game due to a licensing ending. I mean this is the first time in DBD history that this has happened so it's a little alarming to wonder what other licensing's might fall off...

We will miss you Stranger Things!

Post edited by TwitchyMike on

Comments

• Mistikus
    Mistikus Member Posts: 1,347

i think iv seen petition wondering around twitter to netflix to bring this licence back

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

Why share when it's your content that you can earn money on?

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

I doubt the revenue generated by DBD was a drop in the ocean to a huge company like Netflix.

• GhostMaceNotCrusty
    GhostMaceNotCrusty Member Posts: 716

Well if they make a game around stranger things but dead by daylight is more fun. People are just gonna play demogorgon in dbd instead of Netflix's game

• WretchedElk
    WretchedElk Member Posts: 311

If it helps, a couple of years ago Disney pulled all the Marvel licenses from Netflix so they had to pull/cancel all of their original Marvel shows.

• Rey_512
    Rey_512 Member Posts: 1,620

Losing Daredevil was tragic.

To the OP - Netflix probably already made its fair share of money from the deal with DBD, but it definitely won’t hurt their pockets seeing as how they generated more than 25B last year.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

I was thinking about cancelling my netflix sub, not simply cuz of this. I've seen everything they have to offer me and don't really use it anymore. I have doubts about a gaming platform, pretty sure they're gonna charge extra for it eventually anyways.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

If/when Netflix's game streaming fails there's always the possibility of a license renewal. Stadia has proven not a massive amount of people are interested in streaming games and Playstation Now on PC has shown how ineffective it is unless you throw massive amounts of resources into compression and optimization or else the games will run at 5fps and be unplayable without insane speed and bandwidth on the clients end.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

i mean, if enough people were to do that and made it apparant that they did so because of them removing ST from DbD, then that would indeed send a very clear message to Netflix and probaply even force them back into license discussions with BHVR.

after all, the reason why they pull ST from DbD is, because they think they can make more money by making their own games that'd feature Demopuppy.

If they would end up making less money from those games than from DbDs license, then they will probaply end up trying to bring their succesful business model back.

however, i very highly doubt that we'd have enough people here that would actually be willing to do so for this hypothetical scenario to ever play out.

• WretchedElk
    WretchedElk Member Posts: 311

Sorry, I can’t cancel my Netflix in support. If I got rid of it I would only have Prime, Now and Shudder left to watch.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

But none of us know what the license agreement was. It could of been 2 years and that was it.

Crying about it and making threats isn't going to change anything. If you own the Chapter and have the cosmetics you want then stranger things is still part of this game.

Just not for new people that join after Nov. which sucks for them.

• Mister_xD

But none of us know what the license agreement was. It could of been 2 years and that was it.

true, but there also wouldnt be any reason for Netflix to just cut out something that went well and made them money, if they had no other plans with it that they expect to be more profitable.

Crying about it and making threats isn't going to change anything.

i am 100% with you on this. going on this forum and complaining wont do anything.

however, actually going ahead and cutting ties with Netflix might very well change something. like i said before, if enough people were to do that, Netflix would rethink their decision of cutting ST from DbD, as now that would lose them more money than just keeping it in.

thats all i said - and i also acknowledged that it is a very unlikely thing to ever happen, due to us simply not having the numbers of people willing to do this that would make Netflix rethink this action.

• dezzmont
    dezzmont Member Posts: 481

Netflix is almost certainly doing this because they want exclusivity for their own Stranger Things game.

I don't think it is going to work out great, gaming storefronts that aren't very agro in recruiting third party (ex: Epic) tend to fail, so they are shooting themselves in the foot that way (Doubly so if they start trying to stream games which is a neat conceptual technology that is in search of a market that likely does not exist), but that is more because its very likely whatever game streaming service they set up is going to hemorrhage the money invested in it with little return, not because of them cutting out DBD, which probably was a very minor revenue stream to them that they only really did during that phase where they were licensing out stranger things to EVERYBODY.

• MintberryCrunch
    MintberryCrunch Member Posts: 67

It seems lots of comments saying "Netflix won't care, they have plenty of money". Which is true but seems to miss the point, having ST in DbD doesn't seem to me to affect anything, no one is going to buy a ST game because it's the exclusive place to use Steve/Nancy/Demo in a game.

Must be that the license had a set time but I don't understand why they wouldn't just OK a renewal, perhaps they wanted more money and Behaviour just didn't think it was worth it, especially as they can just collect sales money with a big incentive for players to grab them now.

• I_am_Negan

If their dream 2 years ago or early was to start a gaming service and have a stranger things game that's their dream who's to tell them no.

If it works or fails it's on them.

Even if we all dropped Netflix on here the ones that have a subscription. How would they know that it's from cutting ST from DBD?

I mean I been thinking about dropping them being that they took a lot of shows off.

But how would they know that your dropping your membership because of ST leaving DBD or your just not happy with Netflix anymore?

• FoggyJester
    FoggyJester Member Posts: 34

Netflix: loses like 1% of their money.

Also Netflix: "oh ok"

• Mister_xD

If their dream 2 years ago or early was to start a gaming service and have a stranger things game that's their dream who's to tell them no.

mate, they are a company. they will go after whats the most profitable for them, thats just what companies do - and currently they expect their own game to bring them more money than the DbD ST license (which would also mean competition to their game btw), so they cut it.

all i am saying is, that if they were to make less money with that idea than the DbD license brought them or even lose money alltogether, then they will most likely be going back into license discussions with BHVR to try and revive their succesfull business model from the past.

i am not saying OP is going to change the world with this, but if they arent alone and a significant number of people were to join them, then they might just do that.

but how would they know its because of DbD?

idk. we would probaply have to tell them. write them a letter, email, tweet at them, make blog posts about it, videos, whatever. if they suddenly lose a lot of subscriptions, they will want to know why - so even if they didnt see this at first, they might do so a little later.

and how can i be sure that this is going to work?

i cant. this is all a hypothetical scenario. im not an oracle or seer, i cant predict the future with a 100% success rate - but i can make a prediction based on what i think would be the most logical thing for Netflix to do if this hypothetical scenario were to happen, and thats exactly what i did.

• I_am_Negan
  • Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

The dispute is probably a result of the devs covering demo in a substance that might be referred to in postgame chat as "###" Maybe the concept art looked a bit different

• bibibib8
    bibibib8 Member Posts: 843

Demo is not that good in dbd he is a mid tier killer who cant play against any decent team. So you dont see him often anyway exept now because of the news

• KayK99
    KayK99 Member Posts: 94

Netflix shits on BHVR lol. I hope they release a great game with just as cool outfits for Demogorgon and better outfits for Nancy.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I think a AAA Stranger Things game could be ######### wicked.

The little retro-style pixel game they released for Season 3 was surprisingly good.

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109

the skins for demogorgon are original from BHVR

does this mean netflix owns those skins or BHVR?

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

I gave up near the end of season 3 too. Really liked the first one. But 3 is really bad imo.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,570

Way too big of a company to care.

• InnCognito
    InnCognito Member Posts: 720

Yeah, I am really disapointed that netflix is being greedy about this. I hope the devs are ALLOWED to retain the files on BACKUP so they can keep lab and when netflix realizes their poor choices. BHVR can put the characters back into the store and have the map running again. That is a TON of hard work that gets removed from the game. :-(

• Falkner09
    Falkner09 Member Posts: 373

We don't even know it's Netflix's fault. It could easily be BHVR being inept on renewal.

• GhostMaceNotCrusty
    GhostMaceNotCrusty Member Posts: 716

People coming to dbd dont come to play the most effective killers. They come to play as their favorite, iconic killers so if you can have more fun playing demo in dbd then in some other game. Then they would play dbd

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380
    edited August 2021

You sure showed that billion dollar company by cancelling your subscription. Really giving the big man a run for his money!

Come on man. Licenses come and go. Netflix doesn't give a damn about who has what, they just care about what makes them money. DBD likely wasn't doing that anymore, so like any corporation they emotionlessly pull the plug. Thats business.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I think 3 is the weakest, but the creators said they "heard the feedback and were adjusting accordingly."

• Jasix
    Jasix Member Posts: 1,245

More like 0.00047846889952153% - Netflix has 209 MILLION Subscribers. That's if you could get 100,000 DBD players to unsub btw - Good luck with that LOL!

• bibibib8
    bibibib8 Member Posts: 843

I agree but someday the fun will stop. I was playing yesturday night and i had a convo with someone and he was tired having his ass kick. He was a rank 16 killer vs 4 other red rank survivor and he told me everyday its the same he got his ass kick and everything and he regret buying the game all that cause of the RE chapter. He told me if he knew the game was like that he would not have bought it and he cant get a refund because he played for more then 2h so he have no choice but to try and like the game

• TwitchyMike
    edited August 2021

So you don't care that BHVR is losing it's license? Surprised your comment got 34 likes honestly... With that poor attitude brings poor business decisions my friend. If they kept up that mentality than they wouldn't be where they are today. But it's a first time for everything to make poor business decisions.

• TwitchyMike

It probably would by why not keep the content coming in this game? I mean Resident evil is a AAA game and it has content in this game now. It's not like Netflix can't do both. If they're all powerful and money made like you all say than it's sad to think they can't do both. If anything this will do the opposite of what they want to achieve. It's not like people stopped playing resident evil...

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

No, I don't care.

I've been with this game from the beginning. And I'll be here at the end.

With or without demo dog, which trust I own .

• Ludicris
    Ludicris Member Posts: 244

Remember they've said it's not gone forever.

Netflix is going to have it's fill making a few console games, and apps then when the market dies down license back to BHVR for the royalties. It's within Netflix's best interest to gorge when the money is hot, and the next season of Stranger Things is the best time to start doing that.

• CheeseAnton
    CheeseAnton Member Posts: 882

Still disappointed we never got Steve's Harrington Jacket

Likely would've been my most used torso piece, tbh.

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608
    edited August 2021

I'd add on that the previous Stranger Things games weren't good anyways. The one I got free from Epic remains untouched after one go. Others think different tho it seems so maybe the consensus varies!

• kira31219
    kira31219 Member Posts: 35

It does suck, but unfortunately this is something that can happen when dealing with licensed products. 😕

I actually didn't mind the Hawkins map, yea sometimes it sucked but once you learn the layout it makes it much easier (just like with any map)

• shinymon
    shinymon Member Posts: 298

What's sad is that this decision could alienate newcomers from wanting to play DBD. They'll see a survivor/killer that they can no longer use and think to themselves "why devote time to this game with a perpetually flawed/incomplete account?