Why does the game design continue to support anti-fun?

These were my last 3 games:

Basement, facecamping Bubba.

Got tunneled off the hook twice by a proxy camp (survivor that got me didn't have BT).

Tombstone Myers that instantly ended my game the very first time I encountered him.

Why is BHVR OK with this? I wasn't the one in the basement, but I still had no fun. Getting farmed was out of my control the 2nd match which was again, zero fun. And my teammates feeding a killer with the most unfair, broken add-on is complete and utter bullshit. I'm not even going to try and be civil about the last one.

As a game designer, how can you look at these frequent types of completely unenjoyable matches and be OK with it? This is not a subjective thing either. No one but immature killers who want to ruin someone's game have any fun in these circumstances, yet time and again BHVR says this is fine and backs that up by refusing to disincentivize this behavior.

Why? Can we please get an answer why you reward ######### behavior that ruins your game?

Comments

• flawedspecies
    flawedspecies Member Posts: 32

I understand to a degree. I tried not to be too much of a dick, but I literally just got tombstoned and had to vent. But it's frustrating that they really don't seem to care. I keep playing this game but it's frequently un-fun by design. That's the part that drives me crazy. They can do something about it but refuse. They have literally said they're ok with all this toxicity.

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

DS helps with tunneling.

And honestly your points would be more accurate if you included the unfun parts for both sides.

I like never see people camp, I feel that's more of a new player thing and that's because the game itself isnt new player friendly.

Sometimes I'm forced to camp near a hook. No killer will let free saves happen especially in close matches. Understand both sides are people, you cannot be mad about certain aspects. Obviously face camping the first person straight away is very meh but theres issues for both sides

• tombstone piece is kinda crazy though

You bascially trade normal tier 3 (which is just exposed and a bigger lunge and faster vault) for instakills.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,374

Tomestone piece isn't a significant increase. You only need to stalk 1.75 survivors to hit T3 the first time. Then you can instant kill a survivor and then only need to stalk half a survivor to reach T3 again from T2. Tomestone Piece has no downsides to it either and basically allows you to instant kill 3 survivors leaving the last guy unable to be instant killed by Myers.

• flawedspecies

I hate but can understand porxy camping in say a 3-gen or end-game when you want 1 kill. But usually it's at 4-5 gens and the game has barely started.

What's the equivalent of facecamping or tombstone for survivors? There is none. There is 0 way they can literally remove the killer's ability to play (I don't get to play when I am facecamped or tunneled and put right back on the hook as I just got off). I'm not saying anything about game balance, but simple ability to even play.

• Slaughterhouse3
    Slaughterhouse3 Member Posts: 901

You just cant balance this game where two sides can have fun. Either gens will fly and you will get bullied or the killer will bully you. And if they try to fix camping by stopping the timer survivors will be bullies and exploit it. Welcome to DBD 😂 my advice is if you are not having fun on survivor, just switch to killer.

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

When you talk about Myers i hope you don't talk about the red tombstone because its one of the easiests builds to counter and bully of the game.

• Slaughterhouse3

Just to follow up I do agree that Tombstone Myers needs changes.

• flawedspecies

How do I counter it when we just got to 4 gens, and he just got 1 hook. It was Hawkins and I literally never saw him. It seems like he was insidious camping near the hook and I tried to take a hit so he wouldn't tunnel. Then bam. I'm dead. How do I counter that? Never get caught? My teammates already fed him with 99%.

• flawedspecies

You can't make the game fun for both sides? If you can't then it shouldn't be a game. I've had lots of fun games where I got my butt kicked. But those were fun because I got outplayed, not because someone AFKed in my face so I couldn't do anything.

The game is fun for both sides and if they couldn't make it fun for both then it shouldn't be a game and they need to rethink the game at a fundamental level.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Judith's is fine.

Survivors hold the power in this game.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

This game still has a lot of stuff that can end the match for survivor or killer without anything you can do about it.

You should just accept this at this point. Not every game is winnable no matter how individually good you are.

• Slaughterhouse3

It's asymmetrical. Why do you think half of them don't do well?

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

What's considered fun for one side isn't fun for the other.

• flawedspecies

You seem to be looking at this completely wrong. You think this is all about winning. I never once mentioned winning. I'm not complaining I didn't escape or didn't run him for 2 mins or anything like that. I don't care about winning. I want to play and have fun - this is a game. I think it is absolutely terrible design that after losing a single chase my game can end. Can you imagine the same thing from a killer perspective? You lose 1 chase and then you literally don't get to play the game out.

Please name 1 thing that is comparably completely out of control of the killer that the survivors can do that literally takes away his ability to do anything. There isn't "a lot of stuff". There literally isn't one single thing that can do to take away his ability to play.

Facecamping doesn't just ruin it for the person on the hook either. The other 3 are just supposed to hold M1 until the hooked person dies? It's dumb. You need to give the killer reason to leave the hook. They need more incentives to actually engage in gameplay or they need to de-incentivize non-interactive gameplay.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

The only thing that has helped me is to not take this game one bit seriously.

Personally I think this game has become too unwieldy for them to address many bugs, OP stuff, performance issues, etc. And it's certainly not going to get better if they refuse to do "game health chapters." Many of the things we're complaining about now, and have been complaining about for years, will go untouched for the entirety of this game's lifetime.

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709

This is why you lose credibility. It is ok for the killer to lose fast, but you losing fast as a survivor is unacceptable. Regardless of whether it is caused by you personally or your team either way the survivors just as much are traceable to why your game ended in a similar fashion. If you play survivor teamplay and teamwork are part of it, it isn't only about your own performance but that of the whole team.

Also, survivors very much can take away the fun out of the game for killers... again another showcase of your biased perception.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,374
    edited August 2021

We have Corrupt (to help with early gens), Lethal Pursuer (to find survivors quickly at the start), and faster stalking addons to help you quickly reach EW3 with Tomestone Piece with minimum gen loss. It's really not as hard as you think it is.

In regards to the 4 kills with Tombstone Piece, There's a reason that it's a challenge to kill all 4 survivors with Tombstone Piece and it's not because it's hard to hit EW3. The difficulty comes from managing your stalk since you must use your first EW3 pop to kill a fully drained survivor. Then your second EW3 pop must be used to kill the 2nd fully stalked survivor since that would require a collective of 2.25 survivors stalked for 2 EW3. From there is doesn't matter who you kill with your 3rd and 4th EW3 pop as the remaining survivors will have enough for you to stalk them and kill.

If you aren't trying to get all 4 kills with Tombstone Piece you don't need to manage your stalking and EW3 pops meaning you can just fully drain the first survivor then drain a 2nd survivor pop EW3 and kill them. Find the 3rd and 4th survivor and stalk + kill each them respectively leaving the 1st survivor left in a 1v1 situation.

• ausanimal
    ausanimal Member Posts: 542

Keys take away the killers ability to play the game, they are winning the game and all off a sudden 3 people get out because keys are broken, where is the killers ability to play the game then when the survivors use a broken item? plus there are perks that do the same thing but lets cry victim and that survivors have none off these things to use.

• ausanimal
    ausanimal Member Posts: 542

I call bull on you being rank 1 if you were then you would know most off what you said is the survivors fault not the killer, why did your teammate do a unsafe rescue and not take a hit for you plus they did it with no BT when they knew the killer was close, what you want the killer to nod at you and give you a free pass for your teammates dumb choice, if your a rank 1 killer you wouldn't do that just give someone a free pass?

tombstone myers is all in the survivors hands which you would also know if you played killer, it takes a lot of stalking to get to it and who feeds him evil within survivors do, if your teammate's stood at pallets feeding him once again that's on them NOT the killer. So if your a rank 1 killer and survivor then stop blaming killers and start blaming your teammate's and ask BHVR to fix teammate's.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,142

Not only that, some of the survivor mechanics make the game less fun for other survivors.

I'm so sick of the way survivors revere the hatch. I've been in multiple matches lately where after one survivor dies, the other two go immersed and stop participating, hoping everyone else will die so they can get the hatch. We could possibly all escape if they bothered to touch a gen, but they refuse. It's infuriating. One person dies and the match comes to a grinding halt. Woo, what amazing gameplay.

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

Immersed is not quite the word I would use to describe that degeneracy.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Because "fun" is subjective. For some people, the fun is in being as competitive as possible. For others, it's in playing casually. For others still, it's in trolling other players.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,292