Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Whats the story on the Stretched Resolution Saga?

So whats the story here?, How did it all start?, What information do we know so far?

I don't use stretched resolution at all so this doesn't affect me but my hobby does, so I am looking at what is the current state of play.

Comments

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

What stretched res saga? Are we talking about the subreddit now considering it cheating?

As far as I'm aware, there is nothing official going on in regards to stretched resolution. Unless the Devs have stayed something recently, and I didn't see it.

• JamieLee2k
    JamieLee2k Member Posts: 100

In a recent live stream with Dowesy he said that BHVR considers Stretched Res an exploit and they might ban it in the future, they also asked a fog whisperer to remove it and they refused so they left the fog whisperer program on there own accord.

So my question is, Is Stretched Resolution cheating? and will people get banned for it?

• FengisKawaii
    FengisKawaii Member Posts: 309

As of now, the Devs have no means of detecting this cheat (big suprise, I know). It 100% is cheating for an advantage. Note that it´s only useful on certain Killers like Nurse or Blight to remove their lack of FOV during fatigue and an incredibly massive buff for Survivor. Since they can´t detect it (like all the other hacks) you won´t get banned for it.

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547
    edited August 2021

That one fog whisperer always played with stretched resolution and left himself the program.

BHVR never stated an official word about stretched res. If they thought it was a game threat, they literally can block it with a few code lines, but for now since always, they left a camera lock so you can't look too down and be able to see what you should see with native too.

It is an exploit? Yes. Is it cheating? Subjective

There are a lot of opinions and comparisions only favoring the personal opinion for both sides. Honestly I'm not a stretched user, my PC runs the game fine and I don't have visual issues, but I do not care about stretched since long ago. People forget that 7/10 survivors they kill probably were using stretched but they get triggered and jumpscared by any resolution with the slightest pixel difference below native on anyone's stream or clip not even concerning a match they had together.

If u wanna know the story, people didn't begin using stretched just for dbd. Literally most classic Counter Strike players are using stretched every day since years ago for every game either because of slight fov change or the different stretchy look. So yeah, since 2016, and never started for unfair reasons.

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

sorry for the big comment but assuming people can get banned on a videogame for using a different resolution is one of the dumbest premonitions I've ever read, that literally would kill the 70% of the playerbase from any game

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005

You mean the game can't know what resolution it's running in? You mean the game can't know the size of frames it's rendering? Or is it a joke?

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

But I guess it would be easy to implement. They just check the dimensions of the game window and if it is not the standard screen ratio they just add black borders to force the correct screen ratio.

• Clowning
    Clowning Member Posts: 886
    edited August 2021

Yeah, bro. You've no idea how much I love 1080x1080. It just looks better! Screw them pixels I say, we gotta save some for future generations.

For real though, there's resolutions that are somewhat acceptable and then there's resolutions that are absolute bs. Behaviour needs to deal with this one way or another, because it's straight up cheating.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,226
    edited August 2021

TLDR: people who don't use it, have never used it, or parrot pro pub stomper talking points think it's a huge cheat because it allows you to see over objects you can't otherwise see over.

People who actually use it point out that you can still see over those objects on native. Stretched just makes it easier. The bigger issue with stretched is that it causes survivor movement to be incredibly snappy and increases draw distance for killer. Neither side points this out because the people arguing loudest for either side are pub bots who don't actually use stretched. Neither side points out the actual issues with stretched and the argument is endless. End.

• Okapi
    Okapi Member Posts: 839

I can't wait until the devs change how DBD works with resolution so it's not possible anymore. Just like Fortnite did years ago.

• Rez_Marsiel
    Rez_Marsiel Member Posts: 279

Pretty sure it started with Team Oracle using it. Since I'm pretty sure all of their members use stretched res which I think Is pretty stupid. Survivors don't need even more advantages then they already have. The reason it started with Oracle is because they are well... one of the BEST DBD comp teams out there.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,226
    edited August 2021

Completely false. 3 players on my own team are on native and I know of more than a few other killers still on native. It's not nearly as prevalent as people make it out to be.

• Pilot
    Pilot Member Posts: 1,158
    edited August 2021

Most of the Oracle members stream and play on Twitch & their recordings & scrims can be found on Youtube. People are pointing fingers at Oracle because of who they are, an extremely well-known competitive stream, especially their members. Ayrun for example is a member.

Now, if u were to look at other teams and their POVs you would not see any difference. Trying to avoid the name and shame rule (extremely stupid) but if u were to look at the POVs of the guys who won Hexy"s "Best of the Best Tournament" you would see some high-class heresy. Some of them stream, but unlike Oracle they're not that well known.