I'm tired of the toxicity

Aurelle
Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Sorry if this is a long and unnecessary post, but I need to talk about this.

Lately, I've been getting a lot of toxic/hateful messages at the end of almost every match. This usually happens when I play killer. Even if I play nice/fair, I still get these type of messages. I get it, it's an online game so there's bound to be some toxicity. But this is at the end of almost every match and it's getting very out of hand.

I've been dealing with mental health struggles recently and this is just making things worse. I try to ignore them and move on with my day, but it's becoming more difficult to do so. I play this game to try and escape from real life for a bit, but getting insulting messages from people doesn't help.

I love this game and I don't want to give it up, but at the same time it's getting very frustrating to deal with. Maybe I need a break, I don't know.

Comments

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,283
    edited September 2021

Yeah sadly its part of this game. When i play killer i keep the chat closed but i stream so people come to my twitch calling me names and even insulting how i look like. I try to shrug it off but of course it hurts.

I wish people would be mature enough to just accept loss or be a good winner and move along.

• SimonSkinner
    SimonSkinner Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2021

Close the chat window with the arrow symbol on the box where you type messages or hit continue the second it becomes visible. You don't have to deal with ass clowns.

That being said a break every once in a while never hurts. If neither of these work, just start sending them overly kind replies. My go to one is 'Jesus loves you' or 'gg you played really well' because it kind of disarms them and they don't know what to say. The vast majority of this game's community sucks one way or another, the only thing you can do is find a way you can engage with it that doesn't ruin your day or to not engage at all.

• Myla
    Myla Member Posts: 1,551
    edited September 2021

Dude just press continue after the match ends and queue up the next game....

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,821

I'm sorry that's happening. Some people who play this game will insult you no matter what you do -- it's like the actual match is just an afterthought, and the main reason they log on is to say rude stuff to people.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

I know this very well. Even when I try to play nice and not tunnel / camp tbagging Survivors, they just keep doing it and then they are toxic in post-game chat.

My best solution is simply ignore them by having that chat turned off all the time. It helps a lot.

• Xayrlen
    Xayrlen Member Posts: 329

You do know, you can just close the chat or/and move on by leaving the endscreen? It's like twitter all-over the place: if you don't like someone then block or avoid that person. You so know you could block people as well on your streaming platform?

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 577

I've seen an increase on xbox recently but its never really bothered me.

People get mad at so many things I don't know why they bother playing the game, if it helps not everyone is toxic in messages I congratulated a nurse player the other day who mori me inches from my exit gate escape they chased me the full length of the map more or less with a few loops around the chapel & they earned that kill I also like to die in style so I guess that helps.

Just play however you want to play & ignore anyone who gets mad because didn't get what they want.

• getuy45u4iu
    getuy45u4iu Member Posts: 93

I was also getting insulted by survivors almost every day that I played.

I couldn't find any other workaround to avoid that other than closing the chat and escaping post game screen asap.

Should just remember to never open the chat and never accept any request on the platform.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

It is something you will never enjoy but get used to.

You can disable chat/messages but you will still see it in game.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

Yes, please take a break. Your health is much more important than a game.

I really don't understand why so many people continue to play if it stresses them out or causes them anxiety/anger. Like a relationship IRL, with anything, People, work, drugs, alcohol, it it becomes toxic and a detriment to your health, please stop.

• BlindMole
    BlindMole Member Posts: 649

I blocked messages and friend requests at a certain point, and it was the best decision i could have made.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

Best thing you can do is turn off messages.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

Dead by Daylight is not the kind of game to unwind with at the end of a long day. Sadly the amount of toxicity that you can come across is far greater than it should be. I've had my share of, "go *** yourself" messages too. Now there are far more good-natured gamers out there than toxic ones, but those toxic ones can really stick with you. Just turn off the messages and block friend requests, and if that's not enough then you need to step away from DBD for a while. Trust me it'll do you some good.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    edited September 2021

Through all my years of gaming, DBD is by far the most "toxic" game I've ever played.

As a horror fan, I enjoy seeing the old film characters invovled. But due to current craptastic state of the game and the ever-present player antics, I'm in mixed minds about getting Pinhead.

Half of me wants to just finish the current pass and put this game to bed.

The most likely scenario is that I will probably use the accumulated cells to buy Pinhead and hang up my DBD hat, as an avid player at least.

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539
  • If your getting message directly from steam, Xbox, or PlayStation make sure to report the player for harassment or unsportsmanlike behavior through their official services and block them <You will still match with those players but they can no longer message you>

If your getting messages in post game chat I believe you can find a video on how to close or disable post game chat so that this does not happen and if their messages are severe enough you can report that player in game.

To Disable Chat I believe you just click on the two arrows next to the chat box and it should be gone.

• Guest1567432
    Guest1567432 Member Posts: 728

Its the way the devs want it Killer vs. Survivor. With each side being in the "right".