Is this now skill based matchmaking?

xEa
xEa Member Posts: 4,105
edited September 2021 in General Discussions

Hello BHVR

Is this now skill based matchmaking? If so, this is a little bit strange. If not, i was EXTREMLY unlucky with my last games and you can ignore this posting.

I discribe what just happend so far, no joke or exaggeration.

Game 1:

My teammates apparently had just installed the game (and according to their hours, they almost had. Range between 200 and 500 hours). The killer has over 4000 hours and knows what he is doing.

Game 2:

1 afk, 1 hiding in a locker most of the time, 1 guy going down in less then 20 seconds. Killer is trash, i loop him for 3-4 minutes on 2 pallets. During that time just 1,5 Gens got done.

Game 3:

The Blight has problems controlling his power. I could say i looped him for the whole game, but that would be a lie since he basically looped himself. Eventually he Dc'd.

Game 4:

A Nurse, i run her for minutes, she apparently has just started playing nurse, missing all her blinks. When i am on the hook, the survivors had done 3 gens which is a joke for the time they had. The nurse leaves the hook and i eventually die after nobody came since everybody scared in the corner of the map.

Dear Devs. I have way over 4K hours in DbD, i am a rank 1 every season on both sides since years and without any problem winning the majority of my games. It is safe to say that i am a competent player who participated in tournaments and is able to loop even experienced killers for a long time. I am not here to brag, but it is a fact.

Please let me play with people who are not completly garbage in this game. And with garbage i mean "I can barly hit skillchecks" garbage level.

Like i said, maybe very unlucky, but that should not be the case at all.

UPDATED FEEDBACK:

SBMM remains strange, even after countless games (as solo survivor).

In about 50% of my games, survivors have 2-6K hours and play good to almost perfect while the killer is also excellent and very sweaty. Fair games

In the other 50% it can happen that i have a very strong team and the killer is so bad that he wont even get a kill or more then 1-2 hooks. Or the opposite scenario when the killer is very strong and my team is totally unexperienced. Not fair at all.

Playing killer so far is a very mixed bag for me and i do get that since i play almost every killer but each of them not that much so obviously my MMR is probably not where it belongs.

Post edited by xEa on

Comments

• xEa
    edited September 2021

Game 5: A Huntress who can not hit hatchets. Not even easy hits who would have connected all the time. After reloading 3 (!!) times, she got her first hit on me. My team on the other hand goes down in seconds running in a straight line. At the end one guy even blames her for using aimbot. She had 600 hours and this could have been her first hour on Huntress.

• Tricksters_Wife
    Tricksters_Wife Member Posts: 545

I'm in queue to play my first match with SBMM right now so I'm curious to how it's going to go. I've seen people getting excellent games and some getting the worst they've gotten. I plan on keeping track of my first 5-10 games to compare my experience with others.

• playhard
    playhard Member Posts: 279

lol what a brag, this game has no balance for esports, if you want esports play valorant, COD,pubg

• Yankus
    Yankus Member Posts: 638

Me and my 2 casual friends have played 5 rank 1 incredibly sweaty killers so far...it has not been fun

• xEa
    edited September 2021

lol, okay tell me. How is it fair that a very experienced player with 4K hours has to face a killer who has 300 hours and obviously dont even know the killer he is playing? This has nothing to do with esports or is a brag. Simply the truth.

• xEa

Game 6: Haddonfield vs a Pyramid Head. He was Gold 1 but actually played like Ash 1. He got completly destroyed by the 4 R1 survivors and leaving the match with only 1K thanks to noed.

• Pikachaouuu
    Pikachaouuu Member Posts: 87

For what i have heard there is quite some long time for qeue up as a killer, so maybe for that reasson you have been facing some newbie killers.

On the survivors case maybe there wasn't a lot of other survivors with a similar mmr to you doing solo qeue so they have to fill up with low mmr people.

I'm not defending the system, just trying to think in a possible reason for what happened to you.

• Tricksters_Wife
    Tricksters_Wife Member Posts: 545
    edited September 2021

My first game went pretty well but I only ended up with 1k because of a glitch. The survivors I got had around 2k hours put into the game and were mostly iridescent rank but it was an even match and possibly a win until I ended up downing someone and a bug didn't allow me to pick them up by the generator which wasted a lot of my time. But I still did well enough to not depip and had the highest score in the lobby. Aside from the bug, a pretty even game I would say.

• razvicool
    razvicool Member Posts: 54

I just really hope escaping is not a factor because I played 6 matches today, all after SBMM launched, with all 6 having a very clear pattern. My teammates do corner gens first, getting dangerously close to the last 4 gens being in close proximity and then everybody is too scared to work injured or/and waste too much time for that scenario. My teammates have been mostly unexperienced, getting downed very early or making little use of pallets, therefore wasting resources rapidly and at an early stage, which only reinforces the scenario previously mentioned. It's a huge pain to go through these matches first, but at least it's understandable, but if I have to escape these matches too, the game is just not designed to allow me to do that. I cannot even try for hatch because killers slug to ensure all 4 kills and while I do have the option to pick-up my teammate or do the last generator, that's mostly on paper. It doesn't really work in an actual game (at least not to create a comeback, definitely not against what is supposed to be a fair adversary).

• botrax
    botrax Member Posts: 633

You cant just count the hours of the player. If i have 2k hours on killer and only 50 hours on survivor i wont ay like a 2k hours survivor. Not only that but some people make the swich from console to pc i know im in that pool i have 300 hours on pc but i start to play on cosole when spirit got release so i think im close to the 2k hours total.

• xEa

It is not only the hours but the obvious experience. You can tell when someone is new to the game or at least not experienced.

• AGM
    AGM Member Posts: 806

Let's just say I'm not looking forward to my killer games this evening when killer queues improve for me.

• xEa

Game 7: An Ash 3 (!) Doctor vs 4 red ranked survivors. Needless to say that he got completly destroyed. That poor Doctor had 256 hours while no survivor was below 900!

Really good job so far.

• FeelsBadMan
    FeelsBadMan Member Posts: 570

I am having the exact same experience as you. I get 1 decent teammate, the other 2 play like they just got the game - at least most of the time the killer is the same like those said 2 team mates, so if he decides to chase me, the escape chance is kinda high (or the killer dc chance LOL made 3 dc so far...)

• xEa

Game 8: "Bullying" the Twins who had not even a chance. He got a 2K because my team decided to troll him since until EGC he had 1 hook. Post game chat i appologise and he took it chill. He still had fun at his......FIRST game since months!

Very good skill based MM.

• 0mikeya0
    0mikeya0 Member Posts: 220

The last MM system was really good for me, but this time I am getting teammates that aren't doing gens nor saving... 🤷🏼‍♂️

• FeelsBadMan

Just had a game with a urban Meg who camped the hatch with 3 survivors alive instead of doing gens or ANYTHING useful.

• xEa

Game 9: 5 Gen run vs Wraith. Eventually got me with his first hit supported by Noed. Team left instantly. Can not blame them at least they did gens.

sKiLL bAsEd MaTcHMakinG 🤣

• Decibel360
    Decibel360 Member Posts: 2

Died every game we got matched with red 1 the whole time while te rest was gold or silver it really sucks I'm sorry but I really does. .no fun at all

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

Its going to be messed up because alot of people are trying to play pinhead atm. Killer q time are like 10-15 minutes right now.

• Kees_T
    Kees_T Member Posts: 811

MMR is a system that rely on user data, so playing just 4-5 matchs won't be enough to place your MMR where it should be. It's like a stairs, you can't just jump to the end with just few steps, you'ill need a lot of steps to reach.

I guess some 100 Survivor matchs will put you into a almost decent spot for your skill level.

• xEa

Which is hopefully true, but didnt they had plenty of time to collect data?

• DoomedMind
    DoomedMind Member Posts: 793

I have an actual question to every "SBMM will be the solution" ones : how SBMM would be better than ranks, while it would take the same things as piping as gaining some skill score.

It won't change nothing.

Also it's impossible to depip I saw.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184

That only makes sense if we assume that MMR and Pips are the exact same, which we don't know and I doubt when looking the quality of matches.

• DoomedMind

Well, so the problem of ranks were just to change piping system, meaning the entire SBMM is a useless thing.

• tester
    tester Member Posts: 792

My survivor games today were exactly like yours. I even had 2 other survs trying to do same gen as me at the start of the game. People with no game sense are quickly tunneled out and then it's game over.

Then I played killer and realized what's going on. Couple weak links paired with strong survs. I ended every match with 4k as long as I identified weak links quickly and concentrated on them first. It's not even funny how predictable that pattern is.

• FeelsBadMan

Yeah it seems like all they did was to rename the 'ranks' to 'grades' but its still the exact same system minus the fact you cant depip. They could have just kept the ranks and make it so you don't depip anymore, would have been the same.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184

The piping system is still the same. Everything that got me a pip last patch, still works now. Pips are now just like tokens that are converted into a bloodpoint reward at the end of the season. You can't lose them, and the more you play, the more you get.

MMR is a separate system, it might incorporate some things that are related to piping like chase times, and hooks but not necessarily be all the exact same things. A majority of my games have felt like both sides are showing signs of sentience.

But overall, we don't know exactly how it works but at the very least, to me, it feels consistently different in comparison to the rank based one.

• DoomedMind
    edited September 2021

But... They just have to change how to get pip, that's all...

And about better games, I had wayyy better games before. Now I have bronze players when I'm iri rank 1....

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Sounds like your games are getting better, teammate wise.

• GrayEyes
    GrayEyes Member Posts: 379

I dont understand how anybody can read this thread and get this impression I really dont like do people just not read these days?

• Mr_K

I've kept reading

Bad team/ bad killer

Bad team/ bad killer

Team does gens/ bad killer

Iri grade team / bad killer gets rekt

So in other words, teammate are becoming more competent, killers are still noobs.

• FeelsBadMan
    edited September 2021

I just had a guy in my team who legit JUST got the game (he told me in post game chat). I have 3k hours. The game was shitfest. Rank 1 killer, Pinhead. No one did the cube cause none of my mates knew what to do. 2 Ppl died on first hook cause I collected the cube and killer was chasing me. The guy who just got the game was on the other side of the map not doing anything cause he didn't knew what to do. HOW CAN YOU CALL THAT WORKING MATCHMAKING???

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142

I mean, to be fair, if they just got the game, they don't have an MMR yet so are going to be tossed all over the place to start.

Hell, I have well over a thousand hours in Overwatch, and MMR will toss brand new players into my matches as well until they establish their own MMR. And these are blatant new players to Overwatch, not smurf accounts.

• Duke_Ragereaver
    Duke_Ragereaver Member Posts: 215

i have to say i had a totally different experience, solo queue.

first game: killer was ash one, we won easily.

second game: killer was silver one, we won easily.

third game: killer was bronze one, i made him teleport downstairs at the thompson house, we won.

fourth game killer was silver three, i died trying to keep the nurse on me so the others could get the gen, nurse got the adept, we lost.

fifth game: killer was gold three, wraith on hawkins, we lost.

• Mr_K

Sounds just like the old matchmaking.

Meet the new MM, same as the old MM.

Really though, the old system was ######### too.

• ReviloDBD
    ReviloDBD Member Posts: 597

As Killer I've faced a lot of teams where it seemed like 2 players were good and new what they were doing and the other 2 played as if they were 100% completely new to the game.

I wonder if it is possible that the way the matchmaking works now is that it just takes the "average MMR" of the whole team and puts it up against the Killer? I'm not sure, maybe not, I read that it would do that for SWF though.. but if it also does it for Solo Qeue that would perhaps explain why half the team is garbage and the other half is competent..

Either way, we have to keep playing more to test it out. My games have been rather easy as Killer even at Rank 1, but I've only played Pinhead the new killer who I haven't had any experience or rating on yet. Mostly facing Red/Gold ranks, though many of them seem to not know what they are actually doing. My matches have always been significantly more difficult in the previous matchmaking system.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,860

Good point. Earlier in the day I actually had decent teammates and killers. This afternoon was a shitshow unfortunately. Too many players DC’ing early because they were downed first, screwing me over. Had they stayed in the game, we would have all escaped. Every single time. Us 3 solo que survivors got 4 1/2 gens done against competent killers. That says a lot. I had to turn the game off because I assumed kids were home from school and hopping on. For the first time ever, I lobby dodged and did it like 7 times in a row. I have never seen so many bad usernames and OLD ASS COSMETICS in such a long time. Like year two cosmetics in every lobby. No Tome or paid cosmetics. Usernames with “Boy” & “kid” in them. Huge red flag. I noped dafuq outta there.

• xEa
    edited September 2021

Update: My experience is still the same. When i play survivor, i sometimes play with bots and sometimes play with other strong players. On the other hand the killer is between 8K hours Nurse main and Day 1 Trapper baby. And it is likely that the Day1 Trapper baby has to go up against 4 experienced survivors while the 8K hours Nurse plays vs afks or survivors who dont even know what BBQ or Nurses is.

I found this video just right now and i confirm what he is saying.

• xEa

SBMM remains strange, even after countless games (as solo survivor).

In about 50% of my games, survivors have 2-6K hours and play good to almost perfect while the killer is also excellent and very sweaty. Fair games

In the other 50% it can happen that i have a very strong team and the killer is so bad that he wont even get a kill or more then 1-2 hooks. Or the opposite scenario when the killer is very strong and my team is totally unexperienced. Not fair at all.

Playing killer so far is a very mixed bag for me and i do get that since i play almost every killer but each of them not that much so obviously my MMR is probably not where it belongs.

• JohnWeak
    JohnWeak Member Posts: 854

Same,

Played maybe 50 trials since SBMM release and escaped 90% of the time. Killers with 3k hours have a hard time. Even some killers that won tournament have a hard time getting 2K.

• JohnWeak

Just played against a multiple tournament winner, he was playing Nemesis, 2K and it was hard for him. DuoQ on my side.

• JohnWeak

Don't know the name, checked the steam profile, achievements were listed. He won 3 tournaments and was finalist in 3 more.

• xEa

On my steam profil i am a poker pro, married with a supermodel and i also won tournaments in DbD. The last part is actually true, but i would also loose when i play a random killer i dont know well.

Apparently, killers are already on insane winstreaks, so excuse me that i have my doubts that a top % killer will struggle against 4 random survivors.

• JohnWeak

You mean killers on Twitch ? Where ? Cause no one is streaming killer anymore lol.

You are just a survivor main trying to save the SBMM. Fact is nope, killers are not winning anymore. As a survivor i soloQ most of the time and i go out 90% of the time. And globally 70%+ of the time it's a 3 escape.

"Insane winstreak" of course... Don't you see how the well known streamers are now playing ? They hardly tunnel to continue to win. They have a huge amount of survivors DCing.