5.2.0 | The Cenobite's voice over lines have been removed due to complications with the audio files.

13»

Comments

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334

Most often then not, total silence from the devs regarding a popular topic or issue usually means it is a legal complication.

Regardless though, I would not at all be surprised if we never get the sounds back. All a mod has to say, is yes this is temporary and I'll take back all I said. Until then, I'm not convinced this is just a bug.

• ZenithZX
    ZenithZX Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2021

From what I understand, Clive Barker won a court case that got him all rights to the franchise back last year. However because legal crap, they don't transfer fully until December of this year. He owns the rights to the Pinhead character and to the book series, but as for the US film franchise, he doesn't quite own all of that (outside of maybe the first 2 I imagine). It could be anything really; from the old rights owners being petty and giving one last screw you to Barker on a technicality or Barker himself (who wants to reboot the franchise and hated the crap that came after 3) maybe having his own plans for the series as a whole. I'm getting real F13 vibes here to be honest.

We can only speculate and we'll probably never know which is beyond frustrating. I highly doubt its the memes.

• Mouth0fMadness
    Mouth0fMadness Member Posts: 43

Yeah, the patch notes were out prior but a lot of people don't read those. I understand BHVR is totally legally protected by that and it's not a total bait & switch situation but it is extremely disappointing & frustrating.

• MorbidCuriosity
    MorbidCuriosity Member Posts: 18

But do Mods actually have access to information like that? I assumed Mods are just volunteers to keep the forum safe and tidy?

Their response "can't comment further" could mean they don't know themselves and can only go by what BHVR wrote on the patch notes.

• BuddhaBing
    BuddhaBing Member Posts: 248

Yup, it's not actually fraud, but it's as close as you can get without technically crossing the line.

• 7eewilsmi
    7eewilsmi Member Posts: 51

right... "complications"... I believe you!

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

I'll guarantee that's why it's gone , I get it was funny but it was also really immature for people to immediately bandwagon it and flood every social media account with memes , if I'm the rights owner and I see it being sexually inappropriate and made into a laughing stock I'd make it get taken out also I don't blame them even though I would've liked it to stay in game .

• ProfoundEnding
    edited September 2021

Most of the time, when Mandy doesn't know the answer to a question she'll say that she'll go find out and then comes back with the answer (I've seen her do that multiple times). A straight up no comment from her is out of the ordinary.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

I don't think the developers of this game realize how their treatment of the community just makes it fester and grow into something worse. Think they'll ever catch on?

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100
  • DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

That doesn't make sense.

Clive Barker wanted to bring a character that would bring both pain and pleasure of sexual variety. The first two movies explain this, but if you really want the best example of this, then look no further than the Hellbound Heart. That book puts more detail into the pleasures of the labyrinth as much as the torture, the movies focus more on the torture to make him appear more as a villain, but the book shows more to the character. He's kinda of a perv...

I don't know how some people don't know that, maybe the movies after one and two have done this, but yeah. It makes sense for the character, but if you want a specific scene where he says something rather close than look no further than the first movie.

When Kristy Cotton opened the box in the hospital the first lines spoken by Pinhead to her was "The Box. You opened it, We came."

Plus it wasn't even supposed to be dirty, they chose that as a reference to the first movie

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,437
    edited September 2021

The way it is worded though implies it is a technical issue, not necessarily that they are never coming back. Come on, you know this. This game is constantly getting silly bugs with each release. As far as we knew, you discovered some bug with the voice lines and removed them for the time being. If there is some other issue why they are gone, it should have stated that they have permanently been removed, or that they are unlikely to return.

• Ludicris
    Ludicris Member Posts: 244

Can we pin this thread to the front page. I like keeping up with it. I am sure a lot of players feel robbed that there was so much advertisement around his voice lines just for that to be ripped away upon release without fore-warning.

• Xanaecor
    Xanaecor Member Posts: 9

The new bug fix patch doesn't seem to mention anything about the voice lines: https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1437785732333117456?s=19

I posted a response petitioning for transparency concerning this issue: https://twitter.com/Xanaecor/status/1437799591475400710?s=19

How long is BHVR going to let this drag on for? Its starting to feel like they are hoping we stop talking about it so the issue can silently fall by the wayside without being addressed. And if that's not the case, then it's their own fault for allowing us to feel that way.

And yes, this thread should definitely be pinned to organize conversation into less threads.

• mynameisBlade
    mynameisBlade Member Posts: 325

Makes perfect sense. Pinhead never speaks THOSE EXACT WORDS. Not counting any variations of the same sentence. If he never speaks the exact phrase. Meaning EVERY WORD in that EXACT ORDER, then it shouldn't be there. And now it isn't. Everyone just needs to get over the voice thing. It is NOT coming back so deal with it.

• Xanaecor
    Xanaecor Member Posts: 9

I feel your point of view is a bit pedantic, although I do respect it. However, please don't be disrespectful to us by summarily dismissing how we feel and then telling us it's not coming back as if you're some sort of authority - you're not and you need to check yourself.

• BuddhaBing

Then BHVR should say it's gone permanently. Until they do, people will be right to keep talking about it.

• ProfoundEnding

This this this! @MandyTalk I know it's not up to you, but please at least show this to the appropriate people.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

That quote right there. That's the original in Hellraiser the first movie.

He says this in dbd.

"The box.. you opened it.. and I came"

See the comparison?

It's just a nod to the original suspenseful quote to the first Hellraiser movie which by the way, Pinhead in dbd is inspired off of.

Now if he did control other Cenobites in dbd, then guess what, he would have.

But it's just him.

Now stop being a troll.

• CryptFriend
    CryptFriend Member Posts: 416

By-the-by, you're at 69 posts, so if you want to stay true to the complex reference you're making with your name, you'll have to never make another post with this account; I'm sure this is a tremendous sacrifice for you, but we'll be sure to remember you or something.

Also, tbh I thought that it was a voice actor thing, like the ORIGINAL PRIEST OF HELL was disappointed that they had this upstart do the lines so now they were in a complex legal situation or somesuch nonsense.

Unlikely, but one can hope.

• BuddhaBing

Yup, it could be a voice actor thing as well. But for now, I guess BHVR just wants to encourage wild speculation.

• Neverborn
    Neverborn Member Posts: 28

It's very disappointing to not have the lines. For me it was definitely one of his highlights.

I really do wish we would be told that they're never coming back if they know it to be true, or even share some basic details of why they disappeared.

• Gwinty
    Gwinty Member Posts: 981

I want my lines back. It is so sad to anncoune my arrival myself every time.

And I will not deal with it. If those were not his exact lines, then get me the right lines. Or you could add other lines from him like "It is not hands that summon us. it is desire!" to fill it out.

• BuddhaBing

Was really hoping this would have gotten a response from the devs by now. Should we just assume this is the new norm? I wonder what the next thing to get removed is going to be. My money's on Pig's Jigsaw boxes, that killer hasn't been screwed over in a while.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,932

This all depends on when they figure out what they can do, so they dont break a promise or something.

We need to Chillax.

• BuddhaBing

They haven't even said what the situation is yet. Until they say they are working on something (or say the voicelines are gone forever), I'm going to assume they're hoping people just stop talking about it.

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,677

Closed as OP asked.

This discussion has been closed.