All of y'all need to calm tf down with the whining about MMR games

Options

Even if you're at a stable MMR, there's hundreds, if not thousands of other players that are running meta perks and need to get up to their sweat-tier MMR ratings. Give the system time to settle and you'll stop getting sweatfests as long as you play chill

Comments

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

It's a cluster of sweat because the sweaty players haven't increased their MMR into the higher levels yet, obviusly. The new systems been out for like 2 days, give people time to get moved into their proper spots

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,547
    Options

I've been recording my match results to see how hard MMR swings me, all while not playing any different from how I normally do. Going to wait until the dust settles, but right now it's not exactly encouraging, that's for damn sure...

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380
    edited September 2021
    Options

Thats exactly what i said. We can give people time, but that doesn't mean it invalidates their complaints and frustrations. it will eventually get good, but that does not eliminate the fact it is horrid right now. Calling it "whining" like it has no ground to stand on is simply untrue.

• TGB
    TGB Member Posts: 301
    Options

God I'm so tired of this...

Using good perks doesn't make you a sweatlord.

It just means you don't like using bad things. It means you don't like being weak.

Trying to win is not the insult you think it is.

Not enjoying losing is not the insult you think it is.

And USING GOOD PERKS isn't even "trying your hardest to win". It just means you like those perks, lmao.

According to you, if you're not intentionally using bad things, you're a sweatlord, and that is an insult!

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,146
    edited September 2021
    Options

It's not going to make a difference there is no "give it time to settle" it has supposedly been on in the background collecting data for a year now. It should already know where everyone is because everyone probably has 1000 plus games of data that it has tracked. MMR (or really elo, which MMR effectively is) is a system that doesn't require that many games to figure out your rating, this is why it works, usually it takes around 25 to get your rating where it should be.

Read up on Elo for chess and how it works. Specifically the section on "k-value" which explains how it figures out your rating. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system#Most_accurate_K-factor Almost every online multiplayer game that uses, elo or MMR is using some derivative of elo just with their own special sauce.

Basically though, k-value determines how fast your rating changes, the higher the value, the faster the change. It settles to "10" for a kvalue after just 30 games, because after 30 games, they are pretty confident at what your rating should be. Granted this is for chess, but the concept is still similar:

K = 40, for a player new to the rating list until the completion of events with a total of 30 games and for all players until their 18th birthday, as long as their rating remains under 2300.

K = 20, for players with a rating always under 2400.

K = 10, for players with any published rating of at least 2400 and at least 30 games played in previous events. Thereafter it remains permanently at 10.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,810
    Options

You've been matched in the past by the rank system which as we know was never a true accurate measure of skill. Now your mmr is based off of the matches you had while being assessed on the rank system. It needs time to settle because you are now solely being matched off of skill and that rating you have is now being changed appropriately rather than being boosted from the previous system.

• Psycho_
    Psycho_ Member Posts: 355
    Options

Its forcing me to play scummy, like forcing second stage/death. bc I refuse to run a bunch of anti gen perks. I mean... yea I don't expect to win them all, but its not a lot of fun for me to camp people etc.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

"Guys just play through a few weeks of awful horrendous sweaty matches and it'll be better eventually" isn't an excuse for how bad mmr is turning out to be.

• maxdefcon
    maxdefcon Member Posts: 54
    Options

There were a lot of people that hated the matchmaking system since it was based on rank. BHVR changed it. There are a lot of people that hate the new SBMM. Those that hate it, I understand being frustrated. However, it is a game. Thus far, I've seen everyone throwing a tantrum, but not offering any feedback or suggestions. I play to play... if I lose, so what. If I win, so what. By the way, I main killer and haven't any real big issues with SBMM and like it. It's nice not working about rank and just playing the game. Do you think it would be different if they didn't tell people SBMM was on? I'm wondering if they turned it on and not said anything, would people still have complained?

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

I wish I could play more to judge but for now I don't find it bad as others do.

• TGB
    TGB Member Posts: 301
    Options

Yes.

And people use them all.

But the BEST perks get used the MOST. Because they are the most APPEALING.

So, just a thought: Don't bash people for using the most appealing things.

You're all the literal definition of hipster.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,146
    Options

That doesn't matter. The way elo works is you gain or lose rating based on the rating of the other players. Let's take this scenario. Let's imagine that in the background my elo is 2000 even (for simple maths). The system has been tracking that for a year now, even if it wasn't matching people based on that. So maybe i got one game where i played against some 800 rated players and destroyed them. But with a rating that different, i would have gained 1 elo (or maybe even a fraction or 0 depending on how it is made). if i lost that game, i would have lost like 50 rating. Now imagine i go against a good team that is also 2k rated and i win that game. I would gain around 10-20 rating (depending on k-value). This would put me at 2021 rating for those 2 games.

Now that matchmaking is live, i should be getting matched with people who also have around a 2021 rating +- maybe 100 points or so depending on players. So i shouldn't be getting extremely inconsistent matches where 1 game is people with 10 hours and the next is people with 5k hours.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

They told us it was using several months of data. If that's the case how long is it going to take to "settle," years?

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

Its supposedly been collecting data for months though. So why didn't the people who play sweaty start at a higher mmr?

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,629
    Options

The months of Data were collected while Ranks were used for Matchmaking. Obviously it needs to settle a bit, I mean, this should be understandable.

Lets say you are an average Killer with a SBMM-Rating of 500. You go against average Survivors (which are not good, really, the average Survivor is not good) with SBMM-Ratings of 500. With SBMM, you win, your Rating goes up to 550. Now you encounter Survivors with 550 SBMM-Rating.

However, since Ranks were used - the Survivors and Killers with 500 SBMM-Rating play against each other because they are all Red Ranks. Now, the Killer wins, their SBMM-Rating increases. But, next game, they will get the same average Survivors with 500 SBMM-Rating, while having 550 SBMM-Rating. So, the Killer will win again, increasing their SBMM-Rating further.

Now, SBMM is actually going live. Our average Killer has won around 60-70% of their games. But, their SBMM-Rating is now 1000. And instead of getting the same average 500 Rating-Survivors, they go against Survivors with 1000 SBMM-Rating. And get stomped. Why? Because this Killer should not be at this level to begin with.

So, yeah. It will take some time to settle.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

We don't know how bhvr is weighting certain things or even kills and Escapes or even what they take into account when determining the score so using the score used for chess only gives you a very rough idea of how those systems are supposed to work, buvr might not even have a k-value. Not saying they dont but I'm saying is that we have exactly zero idea of how their system works and that's their intention.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

I'm honestly just surprised by how gullible people are willing to be. One day we're using ranks and the lobbies are awful, the next day we're using SBMM and the lobbies look identical. I just don't know why people are so happy to cover their eyes and ears and say this system will be any better when they've shown they can't make balanced lobbies for 5 years straight.

• zack12sora
    zack12sora Member Posts: 40
    Options

Good comment too bad I feel like yours will be lost to the wind as everyone keeps complaining about the system. Personally I'm going to play at least 30 matches and then make up my mind. But yeah by the end of the day it's a game and I've got school and work to worry about lol.

• WaveyTrey
    WaveyTrey Member Posts: 643
    edited September 2021
    Options

This. It’s funny seeing people talk about competitiveness in a game that’s essentially tag. You’re supposed to hide, and fear the killer. Yet you see the exact opposite. The only other simple multiplayer game made complex from my memory was Super Smash Bros, but DbD is a joke compared to SSB. 😂

That’s why the devs don’t fix anything I bet. Because most people play the game for fun while the sweatlords are the ones complaining about “Balance” issues. The game was never meant to be the way they think it should be. The devs never thought that players would grow to be so technical about everything. Which is why they’re all ignored. I bet the players that are insanely good probably don’t even make up 10% of the whole community.

• NOEDENJOYER
    NOEDENJOYER Member Posts: 237
    Options

Yeah I'm done playing killer (killer main btw) with SKBMM for the most part. If I ever touch the role I'll play Spirit only, but other than that I'll stick to survivor.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited September 2021
    Options

It's a perfectly valid point. Anyone expecting all their problems to be solved with a snap of the Devs fingers had highly unrealistic expectations and needs to have a good, long look at what precisely they are complaining about instead of making yet another post about MMR. In this case, it's that the system needs to settle because there isn't a world in which it starts out with 100% accuracy due to the nature of DbD a week ago.

It's exactly like those people that ######### and moan about new content being weak on the same day that it's released.

• Axx
    Axx Member Posts: 392
    Options

I'm very skeptical of BHVR, but personally I think the MMR is working to some degree. I'd say in up to maybe 70% of my solo survivor matches since SBMM went live I have had decent teammates. Before it was not like this. I have been getting matched with mostly other PC players, and most of them that have had their hours showing on steam have had over 1k hours. Before I was getting console players mostly.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

If you believe BHVR when they said it was collecting data, I've got a bridge to sell you

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358
    Options

MMR or not we get good games and ######### games. The only thing MMR might succeed at is making sure baby players aren't matched with long time vet players.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,763
    Options

Like it or not, MMR kills games

It killed COD

It killed Fortnite, somehow sooner then it's awful community did

and if it doesn't get removed or massively improved over the coming months then it'll claim this game too

it's not a good system for creating a fun atmosphere, never has been, never will be

• Cele
    Cele Member Posts: 63
    Options

When does MMR balance itself out? Approximately how many matches/losses does it take?

I've been playing Myers today for his daily and a few tome challenges, like hit survivors while they are exposed. I've been matched with really sweaty teams and good players since MMR went live and honestly I'm getting pretty tired of it. No matter which killer I choose. I have no problem admitting that I suck, but I would at least appreciate to be given a chance. Is that too much to ask?

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,141
    edited September 2021
    Options

Welcome to my world. I've never taken this game seriously.

First night of SBMM on the 8th, the matches seemed fine for a player like me.

But games on the 9th and 10th? Forget about it. Now, match after match after match, I'm lucky to get 1 or 2 hooks against these survivors. That has gone on for a total of about 20-30 matches so far, with absolutely no change in match "skill quality" occurring. I even stuck to one killer, Myers, just to hope for some fair-and-balanced stabilization.

It's become apparent to me that despite getting stomped match after match, my MMR on Myers is not lowering.

Keep in mind, I play casually. I don't sweat a 4k, don't run meta perks, and generally just play whatever killer and perk loadout strikes me at the moment. Always have played that way.

Nope. I'm done. I don't know what the hell is going on with my SBMM the past two days, but I'm finished wasting my time on it.

• boogerboy123
    boogerboy123 Member Posts: 119
    Options

me too. pretty fair matches to begin with but now 3 in a row i got destroyed by players i clearly shouldnt be matched with. lets just say i have to wait 5 minutes to play again.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,141
    Options

Oh, I feel you. My final match with Myers last night, another stomp against me, ended with me having a 5-minute no-queue penalty. That was fine, because it was going to be a hell of a lot longer than 5 minutes before I tried to play again.