The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How can I enable HDR in the pc version if the game?

When i edit the user settings .ini file to enable HDR, it reverts back to false when the game is started. I would like to have HDR enabled to really get the spooky factor in (even if it might make it harder for me to see survivors.) On the ps4 version, HDR is active, so I know DbD supports it.

Best Answer

Answers

• samination
    samination Member Posts: 312

After tinkering with display/scale and layout (change the size of...) in windows that the more you reduce this the more "HD" the game is, however, it also causes all the text to be super tiny (depending on how small you go). It's unplayable at a certain point as the checkboxes are also tiny, but, the game looks amazing. I think this is due to the fact that the game isn't actually fullscreen on Steam. I had to just find a nice middle ground.

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    Oh, yes high res. HDR refers to high dynamic range, which essentially means that there is a larger range from dark to bright. It makes the image look amazing, aspecially in horror games. In the files DbD does have an enable HDR output option but turning it to true doesn't stay for some reason.
  • DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649

After tinkering with display/scale and layout (change the size of...) in windows that the more you reduce this the more "HD" the game is, however, it also causes all the text to be super tiny (depending on how small you go). It's unplayable at a certain point as the checkboxes are also tiny, but, the game looks amazing. I think this is due to the fact that the game isn't actually fullscreen on Steam. I had to just find a nice middle ground.

More details about the size pls? I have done something similar, playing currently on 720p windowed mode cuz its looks much more crispy and sharp. Maybe u know more than me
  • TheHourMan

You have to set the file to read only so the game doesn't write to it but then the setting menu won't work right after.

Ahh thank you!!!

And DwightsLifeMatters said:

More details about the size pls? I have done something similar, playing currently on 720p windowed mode cuz its looks much more crispy and sharp. Maybe u know more than me
    Yee I was playing it on 2160p fullscreen but decided to turn it back to 1080p just because the textures and whatnot in DbD aren't detailed enough to really need 2160p to appreciate it. 
  • DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649

You have to set the file to read only so the game doesn't write to it but then the setting menu won't work right after.

Ahh thank you!!!

And DwightsLifeMatters said:

Yee I was playing it on 2160p fullscreen but decided to turn it back to 1080p just because the textures and whatnot in DbD aren't detailed enough to really need 2160p to appreciate it. 
    Alright thanks.
    Btw, can u upload screenshots with and without HDR for comparison? How much is it hitting ur fps ?
  • lol @ setting read-only

• TheHourMan
    edited December 2018
    Yeah didn't actually do it. Though the file actually doesn't get reverted, the game still won't display in HDR, so i think it is actually beyond the control of the .ini file. However, no screenshots won't show the difference since HDR is a hardware specific feature. If you want to see the difference, I'd say next time you are in a store that sells tvs, look at the colors and contrast on the screen for the ones that display in HDR. It has no effect on fps but looks so much better.