The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Here's one to challenge yourself

I know some here will insist tunneling etc are legit tactics, but, let's make it a little challenge:

How well do you play without it? Some rules:

1. No tunneling, camping or slugging
  2. Even if a just unhooked survivor runs into you, ignore them.
  3. Unless you have hooked someone else in the meantime and they had enough time to heal up (as long as there's more than two survivors left)
  4. Going back to the hook and going after the unhooker is okay.
  5. No crutchperks (e.g. No m&A on slinger)

Let's see what you ca do :)

Comments

• SquidBad
    SquidBad Member Posts: 56

i like your rulebook

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Define "crutchperks (sic)". Is Unrelenting a crutch perk?

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140

I did this yesterday plus a few more requisites, no addons, only 1 perk, 110 killer, and no use of killer power as an experiment to check out how fast mmr moves. After very few games I lowered my mmr so much that i was getting 4ks and 3ks consistently.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

Been kind of doing this anyway, been practicing huntress but weird perks only (not that I really have much better on her) and strictly m2 only unless I'm carrying someone.

Maybe I'll run noed but you know, genuinely for the speed boost as I won't m1 them. It'll be kinda funny. Especially if I get told off for it

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Just play infinite tombstone myers.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I want to test myself do you have one for survivors?

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,132

Already do! In terms of these rules, here's what I think:

1. I don't tunnel, unless it's the final throws of the game, where I may need to. Only done sometimes, even then. Camping is definitely something I never do, but again an endgame patrolling of an area makes sense. Slugging when everyone is really close by makes sense, but not if people are spread out, and if people are wounded and hang around together, that's their error. So, I can win without these tactics, but in specific situations if I hadn't I would have missed out. Those situations are rare though.

2. I've done that before and it's fine. Doesn't really cost me, since I'll target the rescuer. Then again, maybe a butterfly effect starts that I'm unaware of, but this is certainly easy to do.

3. My normal tactic.

4. Yup, as point 2.

5. I randomize every setup for every match. I find that so much more fun than just playing with 4-6 perks only. It's amazing how unprepared survivors are for "Spies from the Shadows" or "Unrelenting", and I'd actually say it gives me a decent edge because a) survivors think I may have BBQ and waste time, so I effectively get survivors creating an illusion of a free perk and b) because they think I have a certain setup, then they are unprepared for other perks. Going back to "Unrelenting", one guy thought I was hacking because I was recovering so quickly from a missed hit! Another accused me of hacking because they "hid" from BBQ yet they were found by me quickly in a locker (thanks to "Spies from the Shadows")

In short, any perk setup can win any match. The benefits are subjective to how the individual has talked themself into it. Regrettably, although not tunnelling or slugging isn't always necessary, sometimes it's the only way to secure a certain result. But you can play without it.

From my experience, it's ultimately skill and avoiding mistakes (or learning from them) which is much more important than anything else.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742

Basically all combos that skew balance in some way that was probably not intended and maybe just an oversight.

So: M&A and/or STBFL on Slinger (there's addons that do something similar, try those?), M&A on myers, any unfair addon combos (tuftstone myers for example).

Basically see how well you do with 'plain' killers.

• Viktor1853
    Viktor1853 Member Posts: 942

do you have one for survivors?

• Apollos
    Apollos Member Posts: 1,052
    edited September 2021

One rule I like to live by is to use at least 1 unique perk for each survivor (of the 3 they come with) and only use other perks that buff the unique one(s). For instance, running Visionary on Felix and then buffing that with Deja Vu, Prove Thyself, and Blast Mine. Or Built To Last and buffing that with Streetwise, Pharmacy, and Botany Knowledge.

It's had a dramatic impact on how I play the game.

• Orion

Basically all combos that skew balance in some way that was probably not intended and maybe just an oversight.

So don't use anything good or with synergy?

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,740

that's how i normally play, unless you could I'm All Ears and a crutch for Pyramid Head. I can 4k/3k usually, or at least before MMR, since I cba to wait over an hour for queues and aren't playing killer for the moment

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

The speed boost is the good part, if you ask me. Wish there was a perk just for that.

• No thanks. This game is already a challenge enough.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,864

The problem is what’s your definition of camping and tunneling? It could mean just existing on the map and chasing a survivor or it could be actually camping and tunneling. It depends on how entitled the person is.

• Tricksters_Wife
    Tricksters_Wife Member Posts: 545

I already play like this and get consistent 2k+. But yes camping and tunneling are tactics if one wishes to use them.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

This is basically me on both roles, except for some times when I want to chill and I do ruin/undying and meme around with my power as blight, so ez.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Huh, you are pretty close to describing me.

Only #2 isn't me, a hit's a hit!

Is #3 even a point btw? Seems more like something you'd put in brackets on #2.

• MeltingPenguins

Mhnn... I usually go by this definition:

Tunneling: Going after a just unhooked survivor no matter what

Camping: staying at or around the hook with the intend of interrupting unhooking attempts of all kinds

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,587

What if i'm running Myc. Knockout.. third seal..

YOU FORGOT ABOUT THESE PERKS!!! REEEE

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 553

That's pretty much how I play killer & I do average to a bit better than average depending on the killer (I did before the new system anyway once it settles down I'll be fine)

As for perks I generally just play adept perks or a few random combinations I don't use any slow down perks unless their part of a killers adept set up.

I also generally let the last survivor go if someone D/C in the game especially if its early game.

& if I play noed i'll usually drop off anyone I hit with it at the exit gates I don't want kills that way but I like to spread the do totems or prepare to pay latter message.

I've had a lot of positive messages from survivors who appreciate the way I play but equally it's amazing how many survivors do or say the usual bs if they get out even though its often because I chose to play the way I do & not remotely because of their own skill!

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

Like others, that's already how I play.

The thing is, if the unhooked blocks me from going after the unhooker, I'll finish counting to 12 and hit them. That's on them.

Also

Literally every perk is a crutch if we go by this...

• MeltingPenguins

if you think that every perk is a crutch, I feel sorry for you. If you really see no difference between using Lethal Pursuer on Nurse and using it on Trapper... smh

• VikingWilson
    VikingWilson Member Posts: 789
    edited September 2021

Tell me, "I want easy survivor games" without telling me you want easy survivor games.

I do most of that, anyway :-p I will, however, slug all I need.

• VikingWilson
    VikingWilson Member Posts: 789

I also stop in chase if the survivor starts on a glyph they obviously need.

• Orion

The main difference is your opinion.

There's a reason you can't give out a proper definition of what a "crutch perk" is: it depends on your perception of it. For some people, all perks are crutch perks. For others, only meta perks are crutch perks. For others still, only perks that synergize with each other or the killer are crutch perks.

• MeltingPenguins

Nice attempt at logical fallacies there. Really nice.

Well, because you asked for it:

It has nothing to do with perception.

Let's continue with the example of Lethal Pursuer:

Nurse, and other killers with great map mobility get an unfair advantage out of it. As it allows them to breath down the survivors' necks before those can even orient themselves. Does it need practice with the killers in question? Yes, but it still skews the balance in a way that cannot be alleviated by anything survivors can do.

Is OoO a potential counter? Potentially, if you can scram fast enough. And even then it does not balance things out again.

On the other hand you have LP on killers with low mapmobility. Here it balances things. It allows people to lay down a tactic which survivors can still see through and counter. E.g. trapper securing one side of the map. Sure, it does require survivors to see through it to begin with, but at least they are not caught bare.

Now, Lethal pursuer is a short-duration advantage, but a big on in the hands of the right killer.

'crutchperks'... or let's call them 'unfair advantages' vary from killer to killer, from playstyle to playstyle.

In short you can say:

Every perk that disproportionally amplifies something that you/your character can do fine on their own (basics or via addons) is out. (e.g. noed and devour on tuftstone myers)

• D3spair
    D3spair Member Posts: 715
  • Orion

"Unfair" by whose definition, though? Yours. Some people think everything that's in the game is fair.

• MeltingPenguins
  • chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171

I don't try not to use any of these tactics anyhow unless later in the game or the opportunity is so big I can't ignore. Funny you mention Mike as I find him much more dangerous without his top add-ons. I primarily use Yellow hair brush/Yellow stalk and probably don't even need them. @Clowning is right though you get harassed regardless so I will play how I been. Let my mains escape/hatch and kill the rest with whatever tools are NEEDED.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited September 2021

No can do with that whole "crutch perks" part. The rest I just do anyway and have done for months now (coincidentally, my mmr wasn't batshit crazy and I'm now enjoying myself. Try getting any of the complainers to understand that).

However, I literally cannot play without Enduring. Pallets are currently completely broken for me and if a survivor camps one then I get stunned no matter what - no side shuffle, no faking it, I get stunned from over a metre away.

Edit: Which wouldn't be such a problem if the new system wasn't survivor-sided (it is, I always get stuns as a survivor now), but I can no longer get hits at pallets at all so it's unplayable without Enduring.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,403

How is that a challenge? If you play like that you get lower mmr and weaker survivor. So you will always get around 2 kills or whatever the game sees as a draw.

Every handicap means nothing with mmr. You would need a handicap which let you struggle to get a draw against the weakest survivor, then it would be a challenge.