Is it bad to prioritize Totems?

Options

I do not like No One Escapes Death. I often run Detective's Hunch and use it to eliminate every Totem before the gates are powered. However, I will sometimes have people who get mad at me for "wasting time" by getting Totems. Like I'll tell them I'm breaking a totem, and they'll say something like "Dude screw Totems just get gens!"

This does not mean I ignore gens entirely to get Totems right away. I try to get them all before the last gen pops, though. Plus, Detective's Hunch requires gens to activate to work anyway.

A friend of mine even told me he knows a really hardcore DBD player who takes the game very seriously. He said this guy would kick me out immediately because I get Totems.

I don't understand, why is me trying to break all 5 Totems such a problem? I'm literally doing it to help, by destroying any Hexes the Killer might have, as well as preventing NOED entirely. That's the whole point, yet it seems some players would rather let the Killer get the advantage of their Hexes.

Comments

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n
    R1ch4rd_N1x0n Member Posts: 1,731
    Options

I actually don't have a big problem with NOED since it's preventable. But it seems like some players would rather me let it activate, for some reason.

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178
    Options

It's considered wasting time because simply put, you're not doing gens. It takes time to find and do totems, and in many peoples eyes, that's time you should be on a gen. There are a lot of people that only do totems if they see it actually lit. If you do all the totems and the killer doesn't have NOED, then you wasted that time.

In SWF it's a lot more accepted, but in Solo many people just see it as being useless.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,543
    Options

Don't take those people to seriously...

Play how you want to

But it does seem that most survivor players just want the gens done

• furret534
    furret534 Member Posts: 77
    Options

Prioritize whatever you want! Don’t let others choose how you play the game. If others are flaming you for not doing gens then just leave em, they aren’t worth your time. Those guys prioritize winning over fun.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n
    Options

Well you know what? Totem cleansing actually wouldn't be a very big time waster if other people would help me get them. Often I find myself breaking all 5 of them because nobody helped me.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n
    Options

There's a problem with that. I might get downed by NOED before I can even get to that Totem.

• vacaman
    vacaman Member Posts: 1,140
    edited September 2021
    Options

I'd say the odds of you losing the game because you weren't doing gens are higher than getting struck first with a possible NOED

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

If other people help it doesn't take much time at all.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

I had a match where I cleansed 4 totems between gens and unhooks. After last gen was finished a player was downed with NOED by the basement and was being camped on first hook. I found the NOED totem, it was right next to the gen that player had finished at the start of the game while myself and the other 2 players were on other side of the map. By time I found and cleansed the totem they were already on struggle. Where I was on map I probably wouldn't have made it to them in time and even if I could I don't run BT so instead I went to the nearby door and started opening it since it hadn't been touched, just as I reached 3rd light the other 2 showed up at my door across the map. Had that player taken the few seconds to cleanse that totem after finishing that first gen they wouldn't have been downed by NOED. They probably thought "I can just go back for it" or are one that just leaves instead of trying to cleanse NOED - because of that mentality they died on first hook.

• PhantomChimera
    PhantomChimera Member Posts: 666
    edited September 2021
    Options

No it isn't bad to prioritize them. It's the smartest thing to do. Especially now with Hex: Plaything. Like NOED it is useless if their are no dull totems. If it is active however it can make things a bit more challenging for the survivor connected to the totem. Especially for the first 90 seconds when they are the only one that can cleanse the totem.

• Neamy
    Neamy Member Posts: 359
    Options

I always kind of laugh at this sort of thing, where people say it's a waste of time. Like as a killer main, if survivors always did totems first I doubt I'd even find any people, since I'm always running to the furthest gen first, then patrolling. Course, sometimes people are unlucky :)

• LegacySmikey
    LegacySmikey Applicant, Member Posts: 540
    Options

If it helps I play at a high level do pretty much every totem I see, often do at least 3 gens per game (assuming 5 get done) & still find time to rescue & heal people if its the right play at the right time.

I've had messages complaining about me doing totems but I'll play my way let them play their way.

• Sakurra
    Sakurra Member Posts: 1,046
    Options

I feel you. I had once the perk that tell me in what direction are totems and how many are cleansed. I cleansed 4, my team 0. They finished the last gen before I could find the last totem. It was a nurse. We all died because of that ONE totem left. Because they did 0 totems. Not even one 🙄

• Ludicris
    Ludicris Member Posts: 244
    Options

Doing totems is the difference between getting pips or not.

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582
    Options

Depends on the situation. Theoretically speaking, no, you shouldn't do bones unless you have to- if you focus gens, you don't have to worry about bones. However, if the game is going well and you have a few moments, it doesn't hurt to do bones before endgame.

However, at the same time, if you don't have that extra little time to do bones, you shouldn't do them. Especially when, in theory, you could just see where Totems are with Detectives Hunch and remember where they are, to grab the one NOED bone later. (This is especially true if you're running a map that can track bones.) On the flip side though, if you're running Inner Strength (An amazing perk that counters nearly all healing de-buffs in the game but broken) then doing some of the less obvious bones during the match to get your healing up isn't a bad idea.

All in all, play how you want. If you wanna do bones, that's cool- it's extra points. You gotta realize when to not do them though, as there are games where you just won't have time to focus on that second objective, and will instead need to prioritize gens. (In cases like this though, Detective's Hunch is still pog as you can just remember the area where the bones were shown and hit them later when needed.)

• adirgeforthedead
    adirgeforthedead Member Posts: 424
    Options

Nah, you play the exact same way I do. I run Counterforce and Detective's Hunch for the sole reason of countering NOED or Hex-based builds. I usually go this way Generator - Totem or do several totems if I see they are close.

I don't particularly prioritise them, but attempt remember where the totems are to cleanse them as soon as I can. I've saved my team by cleansing everything before the last generator is popped or have been the daring one to get tunnelled for cleansing Ruin/Undying in the first minute of the match. 💅

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

Dull totems? Yes. Ruin or Devour Hope? No. Any other hexes? Depends on what they are and your situation in that trial.

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250
    Options

In my eyes it is never a waste of time to do totems. They are a secondary objective, they reward bp, and more often then not a killer has a hex up (noed, devour, retribution, and now Play Thing).

Getting rid of dull totems is never a bad thing as long as your don't put them before your teammates ^^

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306
    Options

What, if they've got hexes up? Blast away at totems.

If you're worried about NOED? Remember totem locations and sweep through them once the gens are done.

Religiously hunt down and cleanse every totem you can and the slowdown they'd get from that would be even better than proccing NOED. Against stronger killers who would make it a close game even if you just focused the gens, you'd easily tip the match in their favor.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,761
    Options

1. Bring a rainbow map and don't use it too much until the end of the game

2. Do not get seen by the killer as or soon after the 5th gen is completed

3. If someone is downed with NOED or you're nearby, check the totem spots you have tracked

I think this is probably the best way to do it. But if the killer is bad or you guys are flying through gens I think it's safe to spend a little extra time cleansing, especially totems that are close to exit gates or very far away from exit gates.

• Vash
    Vash Member Posts: 19
    Options

Not at all. You should destroy totems as you see them to counter things like Ruin, Devour, NoED, Whatever.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

Unsung hero right here.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,003
    Options

I do not like No One Escapes Death. I often run Detective's Hunch and use it to eliminate every Totem before the gates are powered. However, I will sometimes have people who get mad at me for "wasting time" by getting Totems. Like I'll tell them I'm breaking a totem, and they'll say something like "Dude screw Totems just get gens!"

"Dude do gens totems are a waste"

*noed procs*

"######### why didnt you do totems? Youre useless and im reporting you for throwing!"

my solo games in a nutshell

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,895
    Options

the problem with noed is that it has a 100% guaranteed spawn even if you cleanse 4 totems.

People wanted to reduce the power NOED has(cus after downing 4 people, no one would be in the healthy state anymore, so it's kinda redundant), but no longer make it a hex.

Because when you need NOED the most, the totem doesnt spawn, when you need it the least, it always spawns.

People have thought of solutions where only hooked people(or people who havent been hooked at all) are the only ones who get exposed for the duration of the EGC. Both fit the perk tbh. Either people who are close to death cant escape it, or people who have been dodging death all day cant escape it.

• Triadequinaxor
    Triadequinaxor Member Posts: 213
    Options

Nothing wrong with doing a totem if it is a hex totem or a dull totem for your inner strengthh :)(