Boil Over and other useless perks

jajay119
jajay119 Member Posts: 992
edited September 2021 in General Discussions

I've been experimenting with some new perks recently after getting too comfy with my go to ones.

I tried having a go with boil over, amongst others, but even at purple level it seems entirely pointless. I've done about 20 matches with it over a few days and I've never once got past more than about 75% struggle before being hooked and that was a rare occurrence. Sacrifice hooks are often far too plentiful and close together to make the obscure function or the struggle increase any good. It's no wonder people just use perks like Dead Hard, Kindred and Dark Sense all the while - they're the most consistent and effective ones. I think BHVR really should take a look at how some perks work as at the moment many of them just aren't worth the bother. What perks do you guys think are pointless?

Comments

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970

Boil over is rather map specific get downed in the basement area of bahdam where the basement isn't there? works like wonders

• knight_killer
    knight_killer Member Posts: 54

There are no inherently useless perks in this game there are just perks that do a lot or too much even. The 'weaker' perks usually need to be used in a combo with other stuff. Boil over can be used with flip flop so that you can edge out that last 25% if they slug you a bit etc.

• WTBacon
    WTBacon Member Posts: 593

But why combo weak perks when you can just bring 4 strong perks that are guaranteed to work?

• knight_killer
    knight_killer Member Posts: 54

That's completely up to whoever is playing if they value fun over winning and considering how low the skill ceiling for survivor against an m1 killer is I don't think it's too outrageous for someone to win with these underwhelming perks.

• Ludicris
    Ludicris Member Posts: 244

The other perks are more situational. The reason that Sprint Burst, Dead Hard, Borrowed Time, Iron Will, and Unbreakable are so common is because they are much more consistent, and you get use out of them every match, and they absolutely turn the tide of the game in your favor when they work.

If you are going to run with any of the other perks you have to synergize other perks and solely rely on that one strategy. Boil Over for example;

Play with friends, and two or more of you run Boil Over, Breakout, Flip Flop, and Unbreakable. Switch in Tenacity, or Power Struggle.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

What about Boil Over and Flip-Flop?

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Dead Hard - they're the most consistent

Got a good laugh there.

Anyway it's not surprising why the popular Perks are popular.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

Another useless perk is Furtive Chase. What is the poitn of a smaller terror radius DURING a chase? They already know your chasing them. Had this done the exact opposite, this perk might be useful.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,535

When i started the game i thought Boil Over lets you wiggle faster - i think thats what it should do. The teammate breakout doesn´t work in Solo Q.

• VideoGameMage
    VideoGameMage Member Posts: 358

Dragons grip would be a good perk, if it weren't for the long cooldown. I understand why the devs felt the need to give it a long cooldown, but would it hurt to lower it to 60 seconds?

• Ink_Eyes
    Ink_Eyes Member Posts: 561

I have thought about useless perks like ''this is not happening'' almost no one uses that perk, I always thought that combining some useless perks will make them more appealing, like combining ''this is not happening'' with maybe resilience or lightweight? basically make use of the effect of lightweight by combining it with another perk since almost no one will use lightweight to begin with...you are asking for a player to give up a perk slot for such a small benefit that no one will use it, especially since we have other perks like lucky break that is just better than lightweight...

• apathyinc
    apathyinc Member Posts: 457

Boil Over wouldn't be bad if it affected mouse and keyboard players the way it does players that use a controller. For some reason it's really quite a difference, using a controller with this perk going makes it a real pain to move around.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

The problem is even if you combo perks like Boil Over + Flip Flop it's -still- objectively worse than just bringing Unbreakable on it's own. When one perk is stronger than two it blatently shows how wildly unbalanced perks as a whole are.

There's a huge pile of survivor and killer perks that are just bad and literally on one uses unless they have nothing else or are doing an archive. Heck there's a bunch of perks which are 'decent' and are still never used just because perks like DS, DH, Ruin and Tinkerer exist.