Would you guys classify SBMM as a success or failure?

I'm curious to know if the community thinks SBMM was a good addition or not. Personally I think it was a massive failure because not only are my games still extremely inconsistent skill wise but it has led to so many other bad things like encountering 3 hackers on my high MMR killers so far and extremely high killer queue times.

Comments

• I've been getting fairer matches as killer, but the queue times are bad. I personally think it's an improvement though.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

It’s done nothing for me but make the matches have even larger skill gaps and quintupling the queue times even at peak hours

before I was getting near instant matches with players that, when the system worked, gave me people at around my skill level, Now? I have to wait 5 to 10 minutes at peak killer times just to either babysit a team of babies or get my kneecaps broken by seal team 6

i would be able to excuse the queue increase if the system actually worked, but considering that I’m either doing unpayed labour or getting my kneecaps routinely smashed after waiting for 10 minutes i’m not excusing it

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380

Its a work in progress.

• lemonsway
    lemonsway Member Posts: 1,169

I can't tell, my matches feel mostly the same as killer and survivor matches only get better in the evenings, during the day they're very much like the usual Solo survivor games with Claudettes doing nothing, Dwights hidding from the wind and Shirtless Davids bleeding on the ground.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

Neither, i'm still getting way too many one sided matches altho far less than before this system.

Overall on average my matches seem to be better but not by much, but enough that it's noticeable.

For now i'll just wait, systems like this are WIP especially if it's BHVR that handles it.

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 536

People have been worried that the MMR system wouldn't work since it was announced. Two and a half years of wasted development time later, the system is still incredibly inconsistent between players, killer queue times are longer, and there is no incentive to rank up.

We had doubts when it was initially announced, and as always BHVR has delivered.

• Sweet_Tour
    Sweet_Tour Member Posts: 558

It's all hell

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

It exists i guess.

Queue times are pretty much the same.

Meta gamers on both sides are a LOT more common though,which makes the game so damn boring.

Match quality feels about the same as before.It's either stomp or get stomped.Balanced games are still rare.

Overall,it feels worse than without SBMM.I guess i will try to give it a bit more time considering that i didn't play that much lately.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    edited September 2021

As killer I haven't noticed much of a difference. I've always faced survivors that played fairly well or even flawlessly. Hell, I used to face UBK (tourney team) fairly regularly for a while as I played at the same time as them and live roughly in the same region.

As survivor however I'm now almost exclusively facing:

"hook BMing campers/tunnelers/sluggers at 5 gens whilst running the strongest addons on the strongest killers and 4 slowdown perks" while I'm trying off meta stuff like AfterCare.

Skillbased MatchMaking made every skillful killer disappear.

EDIT: To be fair I've noticed people are often doing gens instead of watching the person die on the hook for 2 minutes so I guess teammates are better on average I guess ?

So yeah MMR is a success in some way.

• Kira15233
    Kira15233 Member Posts: 473
    edited September 2021

I am not gonna lie, a massive failure, I get the best teams as killer and gets destroyed hard but when I play survivors, my teammates does nothing and gets me killed... Is it possible to get constant things in this game?

• Your opinion or the system? Because im pretty sure that they finished the system because they tested it publicly before pushing it to live.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni

"hook BMing campers/tunnelers/sluggers at 5 gens whilst running the strongest addons on the strongest killers and 4 slowdown perks" while I'm trying off meta stuff like AfterCare.

Agreed,really kills my mood when trying to play survivor.

Also,i've yet to face a Blight that isn't running Alchemist Ring + another strong addon with multiple slowdown perks 🙂

• Yankus
    Yankus Member Posts: 638

I get rank 1 sweaty swfs on killers I play once a month and baby survivors on killers that I can beat red rank swfs on...it's so backwards for me

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

4 hours ago, I would have said a success.

But after this last gaming session, total failure.

But like Karu said, I'll give it a bit more.

• Yamaoka

Honestly at this point I'm convinced those Blights are produced in a factory as they're all the same. Same perks, same addons, same *cough* playstyle, same attitude if the match is remotely close. Didn't expect myself to ever hate Blight almost as much as Nurse but here I am...

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

Fat failure cos the game isn't balanced.

• Xpljesus
    Xpljesus Member Posts: 395

Unlike most people seemingly, I've definitely had higher level matches on both sides, survivor is much better with randoms, although my killer queuetimes have been absolutely abysmal (>5m at peak hours) and I've seen more hackers in one day than in the >2300 hours prior. Probably going to switch from killer to survivor main with MMR, since killer queues are now far worse, and survivor is much much much more playable with randoms

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380

The system. Its certainly far from finished, but it was in a state that BHVR considered acceptable and they pushed it to the live patch. But it needs work, a lot of work. And it needs a lot of player involvement too.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Failure.

• Izy
    Izy Member Posts: 27

I'm still getting plenty of lopsided games but I also don't feel like MMR can fix that. Sometimes the killer just makes all the right moves and sometimes I just make all the wrong ones. Sometimes I like to play pretty chill with non-conventional builds and sometimes that can work really well in my favor and other times it doesn't. There are games where I've felt like the weak link in my team, especially when I know I made mistakes and I think it's just natural to assume the same of people I play with. I'm not a 2000 hour ultra consistent player who will do everything in my power to win and I don't expect people I play with to be.

I think MMR is far from perfect but I feel like it's doing something. I hope they'll keep refining it and I believe it will improve the game balance long term. It's likely here to stay and I'm ok with that.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

It's a wait and try things out type of thing... for me at least

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142

Failure.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni

Honestly,4 slowdown Twins are even worse.Slugging until everyone bleeds out after like 30 minutes :>

Idk,people suddenly seem to believe that MMR started some kind of tournament in which the winner gets everything they are wishing for and sweating as much as humanly possible

• Yamaoka

Haha yeah that surely doesn't sound like fun either. I almost forgot about Twins and their amazingly healthy design.

And yeah I too feel like (many [not all]) people are going nuts because of MMR. They really do act like there's something at the end of the sweaty road.

Personally I'll keep using whatever is fun, rare or gimmicky.

Yesterday I played a match as Sniper Doctor. In my entire time playing DBD I have only come across 1 single sniper Doctor as survivor so I decided to play the build myself and even though I "only got a 2k" I had an absolute blast zapping people at totems and gens from across the map.

• miketheratguy
    miketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

Success. I've had some of my most entertaining matches ever over the last few days. Lots of back and forth. Lots of long games. Lots of competitive but fun situations where it feels like truly anyone might pull off the win. I've only had a few obviously incorrectly-ranked sweat jobs.

Speaking only for myself, the game is more consistently enjoyable than ever. Very few "squash matches", to use wrestling parlance, on either side.

• Hellow
    Hellow Member Posts: 94

Surv expeirence as usual, killer's one is fking hell.

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,956

not perfect but way better than what we had before

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited September 2021

It's a success. All the sweaty players are in their own population now, reaping what they've sown.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,200
    edited September 2021

So far so good, but still too early to label it as a success when rank reset just happened. I want to see how the trek is back to Iridescent 1 and if I truly have to sweat to get there or if I can play derpy builds and still do it.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,522

Failure, I'm facing 5000 hour swfs one game and players that don't know you have to mend deep wounds the next.