The survivor meta is kinda boring

Is it just me or does removing the risk make a gameplay experience less enjoyable? to explain , most of the meta or "good" perks i see share a theme of mitigating risk (some examples that i could think of):

sprint burst - removes the risk of being caught in an unfavorable position

Borrowed time - removes the concept of "unsafe unhooking" from the game

Dead hard (when it works) - gives a "free" health state and artificially adds onto a chase

Adrenaline - the only perk in the game that can heal you immediately after being unhooked

Bite the bullet - self care becomes a dedicated crouch button that removes your ability to make any noise

Resurgence - if you get unhooked congratulations have a free 50% reduction in the time it takes for anyone to heal you

whereas perks that offer a risk/reward system seem to have been thrown to the wayside like autodidact (because the risk outweighs the reward by sevenfold) , no mither (see autodidact) , red herring (mostly risk and next to no real reward)

I'd love to see the power of these perks be flipped , buff the hell outta the perks that encourage a riskier playstyle and tone back the perks that are designed to keep you safe . like you could give smash hit a lower exhaustion timer due to it's riskier nature in how to activate it's haste effect or autodidact could offer bonuses to generator skill checks too (of course at a heavily reduced %)

I'm just praying that one developer update i'll see the words "PERK OVERHAUL" that changes more than just 5/6 perks in a minor way

Comments

• WretchedElk
    WretchedElk Member Posts: 311

Out of those I only use Borrowed Time, but I have to use it because of the amount of killers that camp. Often without it people can’t be unhooked.

• Potassium
    Potassium Applicant Posts: 49

"most of the meta or "good" perks"

- i mention them because when i thought for a little bit about which perks first spring to mind when i think "removing the risk" these two instantly sprung to mind

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

As killer or survivor my issue is I run a different build for fun and I get into a situation where I'm facing a sweaty killer/swf and I really needed those good perks. I often don't run DS or NOED until I get frustrated. If your ever in a match with me and you get hit by ds/noed. Odds are it's because my previous match was a bad experience.

• Potassium

Borrowed time isn't your only tool to counter camping.

Babysitter still exists which works , you could act like a meat shield for the survivor and do your damnedest to draw the agro and engage in a risk reward system

• WretchedElk
    WretchedElk Member Posts: 311

I don’t have/know of babysitter.

Is it a teachable perk?

• SudoK7
    SudoK7 Member Posts: 68

No kindred? I run that perk every game.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

This games meta is boring anyways

Like blight players stop using alchemist ring, blighted crow, with undying, ruin, lethal pursuer, and bbq, bbq is fine but why do ya'll run the exact same build every game

• Gitamish0
    Gitamish0 Member Posts: 26

Personally, I would love if all the killer and survivor perks that currently aren't "meta" all got really good buffs. Give me more really strong/viable perks on both ends, make me actually have to face more tough decisions when deciding what my four perks will be, and make games more unpredictable overall.

In my experience as a Killer, I can almost always accurately predict what every survivor I'm going against likely has, that being DS, DH, BT, and either Unbreakable or Deliverance. It's a little more uncertain as a Survivor predicting what any Killer has, but once I see what Killer I'm going against in a specific match I can make educated guesses that tend to be accurate. This is currently speaking in regards to higher ranks, since lower ranks actually tend to be a fun Wild West and the players there tend to play very differently than those who have been playing for awhile longer lol.

A breath of Fresh Air and a less strict meta would go a long way for me

• Potassium

Ruin i can sorta agree with - it's risk reward factor is literally just "map RNG determines how long my passive perk will be active for" but i don't understand the hate train tinkerer seems to be on , outside of blight and maybe hillbilly i don't see the perk being worked into builds as much . Although if it really is as much of a villain as people claim it is then simply get off the gen and hide when it hits around 70% (aka : welcome to the pre decisive strike rework state of mind killer players had to constantly be in - fear a perk that might not even be in a game)

maybe a cooldown between tinkerer procs of 7 or so seconds between procs or having a limit of 3 times per gen that it could activate could tone it back on the killer that can make a mastery out of a mediocre perk while not gutting it on an average m1 killer

• Potassium

[redacted forum joke as naming and shaming is a big no no] wannabe #738 - ignores at least 50% of the post to suit their narrative that anyone asking for changes to a role in the game must mean that all they want it easy games.

i want RISK AND REWARD in this game , what is so easy about wanting RISK?

• Potassium

i don't play blight but i'll say that i run BBQ for the Bloodpoints and so i don't end up being a gormless chicken not knowing where to go after hooking - i don't like camping even if it's accidental and BBQ rewards that mindset

• scenekiller
    scenekiller Member Posts: 890
    edited September 2021

Nah, Tinkerer imo is totally fine. My point was more so to counter the idea that just the survivor metas are all boring, and that there are killer perks that also require very little work/effort/risk to use and get a ton of information out of, just like some of the perks listed. NOED could be another example.

• Hoodied

I'm not saying that bbq isn't fine, bbq is fine

Its just every blight will either use bbq or swap it out for tinkerer and its so unfun

• Potassium

the way i see it : the killer's risk reward factor comes from their powers , like trapper risking their early game to hope for a reward in the mid to late game etc

but yeah what you're saying is true , there's far too little risk/reward perks on both sides and that's sad :(

• scenekiller
    scenekiller Member Posts: 890

Very true, I'm hoping boon totems can shake this up on the survivor side at least. Maybe scourge hooks could also do the same for killers. Here's hoping!

• Ludicris
    Ludicris Member Posts: 244

Unbreakable - You can get up for free without the help of other survivors, removing the Killers pressure simply by running a perk unbeknownst to the Killer.

Iron Will - You no longer make grunts of pain which is integral to running survivors around strong loops like TL's, and Jungle Gyms.

Meanwhile all of the Killers meta perks, require them to succeed at their goal before even becoming effective. Like PGTW and BBQ

• Potassium

if it's becoming that frustrating for you then at the moment all i can recommend is using the early game/a totem hunting perk to focus on getting 50% of a blight's perk build out of the way asap - without the core combo of ruin/undying then the build just kinda crumbles.

tinkerer all i can say is try to memorise where 70% is on a gen bar and then attempt to hide or something as soon as you hit it , or if ruin is out of the way try running blast mine

• Potassium

to be honest i'm a little sceptical of boon totems , they have the potential to either be completely busted or redundant sheerly because all 4 survivors can run a boon totem perk.

furthermore it could encourage killer's to run more gen slowdown perks to buy themselves time to go hunt down these boons which would result in an even more miserable meta being created

• Hoodied

Blast Mine isn't that great of a perk as all I see people tend to use it for is to say that they are on a gen

But then you have to remember that he has Blighted Crow and Alchemist ring, which rewards him heavily for landing a hit, allowing him to chain down survivors with his power at high speeds without any punishments, so mix that with tinkerer, ruin, undying and now you have someone who can get to a gen at the speed of sound and get rewarded because he landed a hit, you'll be spending alot more time getting rid of ruin but now you have to deal with his add-ons, which btw you can't really counter alchemist ring and blighted crow unless you get lucky

• NerfedFreddy
    NerfedFreddy Member Posts: 394

If you such great survivor player who wants challenge - play no mither, play mom. play sabo or flashlights, ignore gens. you have plenty of options to make your survivor gameplay spicier.

The thing is only strong perks or items allow you to play risky - watch some streamers like sweh for example. Meta build allows him to play risky af instead of "Look at me im good at holding m1 on gen and being stealthy"

• Gaming_Gamer
    Gaming_Gamer Member Posts: 12

Borrowed time was created to counter camping killers, just like D Strike was created to counter tunnelling killers just like Ruin was created to counter gen rush, just like Hex Undying was created to counter survivors finding your totem in the first 30 seconds. Most of the perks we get are created not to make the game more fun but to help against anti fun game mechanics. BHVR is the only one to blame for the boring meta perks that both sides use instead of fixing bad game mechanics.

• Apexgnifrums
    Apexgnifrums Member Posts: 335

Blight - Tinkerer Ruin Undying BBQ

• Potassium

Did i ever say i was a fantastic survivor?

I'm saying i want RISK AND REWARD perks that'll help towards creating a more dynamic and thrilling experience or EVERYONE , if you were paying attention i said that no mither offers very little reward for the amount of Risk it provides.

as for "playing risky with meta perks" please , go ahead and explain what exactly these risky plays are and how xyz uses them to enable such plays - as a side note looping a killer because the killer was coming towards them isn't risk/reward

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171

I see this so much...Like am I the only Blight that loves compound 21 with slam duration? I do run lethal/ruin though 😐️ with pop/disco....I will change it when I get home lol.

• Potassium

it's almost like creating band aid's to patch up a broken leg doesn't work in the long term

you've put it brilliantly there

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171

It really is a perk I run often as Prove Thyself I despise with every ounce of hate I have.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

Thank you. I agree with this completely.

These perks are made to counter effective and basiscally unfun strategies that both sides uses. Without them the game I imagine would be very annoying and unfun to play, much more then it is now

• Hoodied

Oh no without undying its not tedious, I don’t mind any build being used I just despise tapping a gen and going “wow I already know this blight’s whole build”