Why do DBD patches take so long?

Why does a single patch of 400 mb require a redownload of the game 3 times? so instead of a 400 mb patch it is essentially 100gbs

Comments

• wxnickxw
    wxnickxw Member Posts: 740

Becuase the devs are lazy

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380

Game development is not a fast process.

• wxnickxw
    wxnickxw Member Posts: 740

It doesn't have to be fast or slow to develop it just had to be made well so as not to be an unessesarily bloated download....

Did you just read the title and assume he meant why does it take so long between updates?

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

I only download the 400MB patch. Maybe you are misreading the new Steam download page. That 32GB is Steam patching the files on your drive. Not it downloading the game.

• knight_killer
    knight_killer Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2021

It's so brainnumbing that this update took an hour and thirty minutes for a quick fix patch. The patch downloads in under five minutes but either the way it's packed or Steam itself it underutilizes my hard disk and unpacks it at 10 megabytes a second to kilobytes. At first I thought this was 36gb's compressed into 400 mb's but it most likely isn't but the compression technique they used seems so busted I'd rather download more than have my disk be dedicated to this update for an hour and not be able to play a game.

• baseballfan4877
    baseballfan4877 Member Posts: 364

whats the difference? it has to complete those 32g checks like 3 times before i can play said patch

• Schardon
    Schardon Member Posts: 177

This is true but can we still agree on the fact that the update process of this game is completely broken?

The game somehow unpacks itself and checks itself over and over and over again 5 times. I've never seen such a behavior in any other game.

I dread every patch of DbD while I really don't care about any patch of any other game I have played in the last 5-10 years because I don't even notice them and even if I decide to watch them download and install it usually takes 5 minutes tops. Usually 1-2 minutes.

I mean seriously.. I'm able to install entire 32GB games and install them 3 times before a 400MB DbD patch gets applied. It's beyond ridiculous.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

This is what I read on the subject, but take it with a grain of salt nonetheless. I'm also paraphrasing, obviously.

To make loading faster, developers started making files bigger, placing a lot of information in "chunks". The result is that everything loads faster, at the cost of having to unpack/repack files with each and every update.

See, loading is mostly bottlenecked by the CPU, not the disk itself, at least past a certain read speed, due to having to "coordinate" the read/write operations. Larger files allow loading to be more efficient from the CPU's perspective, since it's a smaller list of things to load.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Difference being you're not downloading the game like you stated.

• EXPERIMENTONGOD
    EXPERIMENTONGOD Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2021

Quite simple. Bandwith costs "them" money.

Your PC patching the game for over 15 minutes doesn't cost them money (it costs YOU money because your PC uses more power).

So they're transfering the "cost" of updating the game to the customer so to speak.

Brilliant if you think about it.

• baseballfan4877
    baseballfan4877 Member Posts: 364

but i mean it feels like a download of 32gb. as in I could download a 32gb game in the same time the patcher "checks" the 32gb.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

BHVR doesn't pay Steam for the bandwidth. Even if they did, bandwidth is dirt cheap; it's the consumers who overpay for bandwidth, not companies. There's no "transfer of costs".